View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

    103 24.29%
  • NO

    83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

    63 14.86%
Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 856
Like Tree36Likes
  1. #361  
    A rumor is often viewed as "an unverified account or explanation of events circulating from person to person and pertaining to an object, event, or issue in public concern"

    Take this with a grain of salt...

    I wish I was wrong... Sprint will not be carrying any HP / Palm phones in 2011. This was confirmed through 4 separate Sprint employees today, @ 2 separate corp Sprint stores & 1 repair center, by me here in the PDX area.

    The background is my Sprint Pre died out of the blue today (screen just fried itself after ending a call). I needed a Pre to replace my fried Pre, & thus the journey began. The 4 sources are a sales rep, 2 repair techs, & some Sprint employee in corporate in CO. Not sure what kind of corporate Sprint types are in Co, but he seemed legit also.

    The sales guy was alone, no other people in the store & he laid it on the line for me upfront when I told him I had zero interest in any other phone. I already have an EVO, a TP2, etc... I need a new webOS phone!!! I asked when will Sprint start carrying the Pre 3, it comes out next month??? He said, "NEVER, we had a big meeting last month wherein we were told by the business unit mgmt that Sprint has severed all ties with all Palm / HP products for the foreseeable future." I said what about the HP Touchpad. He said, "We are carrying the Blackberry Playbook instead of the Touchpad, they are pretty similar anyways." We talked for a while & he basically said Sprint got burned badly by Palm on the Sprint Pre & the business relationship is now officially dead. He said Sprint has made a corporate decision to go with Android, Blackberry, Windows 7, & the iPhone once that deal is finished. He was adamant that webOS is dead to Sprint, it doesn't exist in their future.

    I pretty much got the same story from 2 repair technicians, 1 of whom placed an order for a refurbed Pre for me. They both said they heard that Sprint ended their business relationship with all Palm products, period. But they heard that the iPhone is coming to Sprint before Christmas.

    Some construction bigwig was in the store next to me getting his phone replaced, talking with some corporate guy in CO about his 50 plus phone account for his business... So I had him ask the Sprint employee on the phone in CO if Sprint was gonna be selling the new HP Pre 3 anytime this year... Answer was a big... "When pigs learn how to fly..." Which I thought was a funny & clever political non answer, answer.

    This is my personal real world experience, now I need to plan on leaving Sprint, which we do not want to do after 14 years & many discounts on our awesome plan. This just sucks!!! Maybe I can hold out with my Pre till the end of the year to make sure Sprint doesn't change strategy... But if Sprint doesn't have something firm by December, I'm outa here.

    I hope I am wrong!!!

    P.S. I told the sales rep, if Sprint drops all future HP / Palm hardware because they got burned on the original Palm Pre's poor hardware, that would be very penny wise & pound foolish. Given HP's clout & plans for webOS in general, Sprint would force millions of devoted webOS users to other carriers. He said, "Well, Sprint has been making all kinds of bad decisions lately, so it wouldn't be the first time they did that". Interesting, insightful day, all because my screen died on my beloved Pre.
    Last edited by LibertyAndJustice4All; 05/18/2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: RUMOR TAG ADDED
  2. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #362  
    Looks like the sprint folks using WebOS are in the minority.

    I made up my mind to switch to ATT, which is probably the next cheapest to Sprint. I
    really wish Sprint will start to Limp if they ignore Pre3.
  3. #363  
    Yeah I'm still going to wait until HP makes some sort of announcement about carrier availability. And I'd call this far from confirmed...
  4. ray1b's Avatar
    Posts
    431 Posts
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    #364  
    Most Sprint users who wants the Pre 3 will have to switch.
  5. #365  
    HP just signed a deal with Sprint to carry data or something... I strongly doubt that Sprint's business unit would just flat out severe ties like that... I'm sure Sprint and HP will work out some backroom deal to fix the damage with the original Pre... It would be a win-win situation for both businesses... if Sprint is thinking like that... they are gonna be losing a lot of business...
  6. #366  
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes9 View Post
    Yeah I'm still going to wait until HP makes some sort of announcement about carrier availability. And I'd call this far from confirmed...
    I accidentally used exclamation marks instead of question marks, which I just edited. I agree with your statement. Sorry for the mistake.
  7. #367  
    How is this any different than someone contacting and the rep telling that person that they will be carrying sprint. Stop with all this rep nonsense and wait for a carrier announcements and/or press release. Waiting is hard, I and every sprint webos user knows it, but thats all we can do at this point.
  8. #368  
    So all the guys in the same store told you this? Hmph.

    All the corp-speak coming out of Sprint for the last year has been "we have partnered with Palm in the past, and will continue to partner with HP going forward (though we have no specific device details)".

    The same as happy-talk coming from Zacky, store reps or offshore support chatters don't know. They hear rumors like everyone else. The fact that they don't give the standard line "I can't tell you anything" at least means corporate hasn't layed down the law yet, and I use my deductive reasoning to deduce that no decision's been made.

    I mean, AT$T is CARRYING the Veer, and most folks are reporting the reps haven't been trained at all, let alone aware the phone's on their carrier. That Sprint reps are clueless is no big surprise given that there hasn't even been an announcement yet.

    Leo, Ruby, Dan the Man - those are the folks we're waiting to hear from. Anyone asked a Big Red rep about the Pre3? TMobile?
  9. #369  
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyAndJustice4All View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt...

    I hope I am wrong!!!

    P.S. I told the sales rep, if Sprint drops all future HP / Palm hardware because they got burned on the original Palm Pre's poor hardware, that would be very penny wise & pound foolish. Given HP's clout & plans for webOS in general, Sprint would force millions of devoted webOS users to other carriers. He said, "Well, Sprint has been making all kinds of bad decisions lately, so it wouldn't be the first time they did that". Interesting, insightful day, all because my screen died on my beloved Pre.
    I hope you're wrong too. I don't need anything fancy. I'm not a gamer. If no Pre3 on Sprint, I'd seriously consider forfeiting my Sprint Premier Gold status for the Veer 4G on AT&T. OTOH, I would not make any brash decisions based upon this OP.
    Last edited by kenhiraihnl; 05/18/2011 at 10:50 PM.
  10. #370  
    I still think that my conclusion is right about when Sprint will get the Pre3. Sprint has no actual plans on adding it to their phone lineup however, due to the interest in it (aka all the chats, phone calls, and emails) Sprint is now looking into adding it to their lineup (aka Dan Hesse and other super excs are in super sekret negotiations with HP). The Pre3 will launch with in a month and a half from today on Verizon and At&T and then later it will be released on Sprint. Don't know if that is 2011 on Sprint or not but it will come with in 6 months after the release. This is in no way a rumor or what a Sprint person said. It is just what I truly think after contacting multiple Sprint excs and Dan Hesse's (Sprint CEO) office and talking over the phone with one of his many staff members. Thanks me if you think this is true (would like to know how believable this is for others
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  11. #371  
    I don't blame sprint. So far, every step of the way shows HPalm's inability to produce top notch product.

    That being said, I will switch to ATT in June with Pre3. sprint has no price advantage for me, and they took away my 12mo upgrade option.
  12. #372  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I don't blame sprint. So far, every step of the way shows HPalm's inability to produce top notch product..
    Have you used a Pre2? A Veer?
  13. #373  
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Have you used a Pre2? A Veer?
    at this age, I am not regarding a phone without front facing camera, less than 480x800 resolution, no flash, slow email, a browser can't remember password, etc... remotely as top-notch.

    oh, and the pathetic camera.
  14. #374  
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    So all the guys in the same store told you this? Hmph.
    2 corp stores & 1 repair center in my attempt to get a Pre today, instead of waiting for my order to arrive and 1 phone call. These are my impressions & deductive reasoning based on my research & experience. Thus I thought it might be helpful to fellow Sprint users. I hope I am wrong.

    Look at AT&T & Verizon, they both have more current webOS hardware & they both seem to have a commitment to webOS. In my analysis none of this exists with Sprint & my gut tells me it's not gonna happen. If Sprint had a choice between the iPhone 4S & the Pre 3 what would they choose? I hope the answer is both of them, not the iPhone. Time will tell if I was right, regardless of current opinions one way or the other, hence I created the 90 day poll.
  15. #375  
    Your statement about them severing ties with all HP/Palm products makes me very suspicious of this man's information. Why? Because HP just announced DataPass, which is built in to many of their laptops and allows them to use 3G service. Guess what network it piggy-backs on: Sprint's EVDO CDMA network.

    Now, I'm not saying that I think the Pre 3 will make it to Sprint; it's looking more and more like it will be AT&T and VZW (sadly). I am, however, simply pointing out at least one major error that these employees made, which could mean that they were just making something up to try to get you to move on from webOS.
  16. #376  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    at this age, I am not regarding a phone without front facing camera, less than 480x800 resolution, no flash, slow email, a browser can't remember password, etc... remotely as top-notch.
    That's hardly a reason to reject a phone. Adding a new phone can only help, just dumb people putting to much into advertising is what hurts the company. It is both Sprint and HP to blame here. HP needs to get their act together and get things done AND pushed out the customer. Sprint need to be better about doing what their customers want. Isn't that the key to success and more sales, making the customer happy?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  17. #377  
    Looks like I'll be getting the iPhone 4S when Sprint get's it in September...
  18. #378  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    at this age, I am not regarding a phone without front facing camera, less than 480x800 resolution, no flash, slow email, a browser can't remember password, etc... remotely as top-notch.

    oh, and the pathetic camera.
    Hm. The BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 has no front facing camera.

    Neither does the LG Lotus, or the Blackberry Curve, etc. Most of the phones Sprint sells.

    I don't think any of them have 480x800 resolution, and don't even have browsers that can render most html5.

    So they should obviously pull them off the store shelves since they don't meet your definition of top-notch.

    </snark> well, HPalm lost you, I guess. cya
  19. Boregardo's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #379  
    Seems odd for Sprint's VP of Product Development to go out of his way to mention their relationship with Palm/HP in this interview if they have decided to sever ties with them completely.

    BGR Interview: Sprint's VP of Product Development, Fared Adib
  20. #380  
    Already left Sprint. On an unlocked GSM Pre2 using Tmo sim. Tmo edge is as fast as Sprint 3G for me, & I'm on wifi most of the time anyway. Will be getting unlocked Pre3 when it becomes available. Paying a bit more, but very satisfied.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions