View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

103 24.29%
  • NO

83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

63 14.86%
Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    i think veer might be the only exclusive on att, and possibly tmo (if they ever think of takin some hp phones)

if hp is going to lay down their cards the way i think they are, then sprint, vz, att pre 3 release should be within weeks (days would be nice, but hopefully not months) of each other.. to get devices out there. they cant play the waiting game anymore and need to get their ball rolling as quickly as possible.

apple started the change and has an established user base. android (el goog) has a great model. they didnt have to create their own hardware just offer it to a large pool of manufacturers to push their os out for them. hp is just going at it alone. because of this, limiting devices just to att does not make smart business sense.

its been said that there is room for maybe 5 major mobile os'.. so there is still room for webos..
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMark View Post
    From what I've heard (from a Sprint rep I work with) there is still a good chance that Sprint will pick up some HP devices. They didn't even make a cdma version of the Veer, because the cdma radio is bigger than the gsm one.
    How so? Qualcomm (?) has a chip that does both GSM and CDMA. It's already used in Verizons iPhone 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    How so? Qualcomm (?) has a chip that does both GSM and CDMA. It's already used in Verizons iPhone 4.
    The Veer is a bit smaller than the iPhone, and I believe that they can make gsm radios smaller than cdma ones (or combo ones for that matter).
    no offense but should this not be in the veer section? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    no offense but should this not be in the veer section? lol
    I was thinking the same thing.
  6.    #306  
    I think the OP is saying;
    'Since At&t gets the veer, the Pre3 will be......'
  7.    #307  
    Although, I don't get his reasoning - which appears to be;
    'Since At&t gets the veer, that means no Pre3 for Sprint.'
    I was saying that the Pre3 would not be coming to sprint because they chose At&t for the Veer and if they are true with their "ecosystem" idea then why would they force a consumer to have contracts with 2 carriers to be able to utilize their "ecosystem". This is not a veer question. It is a Sprint and Pre3 question.
    I don't think having a Veer and Pre3 together is the idea of the ecosystem. Instead, Veer + TouchPad, or Pre3 + TouchPad is the ecosystem HP has discussed.
    I see pandas.
  10.    #310  
    <<merged>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Hi all,

I am posting multiple reviews of the Veer. So far the Veer has been very well received. We need HP to market this for first time smartphone users or users who need a very small smartphone. WebOS shines in all of the reviews!

BTW these reviews are not present in an special order.

It looks like we have a winner in terms of the quality of the build and the phone itself...now we have to see how HP will market the Veer & webOS..

Take care,

Jay

Review number One:

This Just In: HP Veer 4G for AT&T - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

First impressions with the HP Veer are overall very good. Build quality is solid, as the Veer has a very sturdy feeling slider with none of the "oreo effect" that plagued the original Palm Pre for so long. In addition, the Veer also lacks the LCD pressure distortion that used to occur when the slider was closed sharply. The entire mechanism feels snappy and precise with absolutely no play. Buttons are clicky and responsive, nothing suffers from miniaturization thankfully. I've been using the Veer all day today with my own SIM inside (just like I do for every phone when appropriate) and thus far am impressed with how useable the whole thing is despite the miniaturized keyboard and relatively small display.

Review number Two:

HP Veer 4G First-Look Review

I'm surprised by how much I already like the HP Veer 4G, even though I've only had it for a few hours. After reviewing so many gigantic smartphones it's nice to use something more petite that takes up hardly any room in my pocket.

I'm not sure whether my initial infatuation will last, however, because the Veer is the smallest phone I've ever used. The keyboard is surprisingly usable, but I do have to do a lot of scrolling to see entire email messages, for example, so there are some obvious downsides to the small form factor.

Review number Three:

Hp veer first impressions- The Inquirer

After HP unveiled the Veer we asked the question, just who would want such a device? After playing around with the Veer, it's still difficult to tell. Those with larger smartphones might find the small screen size daunting, however HP might gain some traction with those who want the occasional smartphone capability, such as reading email and every so often firing off a reply. The Veer isn't a 'party phone' but rather a diet smartphone, and that goes against the grain of what most phone manufacturers were showing at Mobile World Congress, which were devices that offer greater capabilities through larger screens and faster processors.

Despite our lingering doubts about the Veer's ability to sell in large numbers, HP has done a great job in creating a small, fast smartphone that has a good screen and keyboard. But above all, the Veer makes you realise just how excellent HP's WebOS really is

Review number Four:

Hands-On With HP’s Tiny Veer Smartphone | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Overall the Veer feels a bit like the Kin One, Microsoftís failed (but cute) social phone, which debuted last year. HP has already avoided one of the Kinís fatal flaws by basing the Veer on webOS, which has a small but existent app market (and promises to become even more useful through interconnections with webOS on the TouchPad later this year).

Itís still unclear whether HP will avoid the Kinís other fatal flaw: price. HP did not announce a price for the Veer, but if it comes in at $50 or $100 with a reasonably cheap data contract, this could be a great phone for teenagers, social butterflies and anyone who wants basic connectivity without messing up the lines of their stylish threads.

Review number Five:

HP Veer 4G: Small Phone, Big Review | webOSroundup

Is the Veer a bad phone? Absolutely not. It performs extremely well, it is very well built, and it is, no question, an engineering marvel. However, after all that praise, it is still impossible to look past the corners that had to be cut to make the device as small as it is.

In the end the Veer will live or die by the gamble HP made that there is a market for people who want a smaller device. At $99 it is well priced, but it is hardly the only smartphone in that range.

On a side note, I think the Veer will truly shine if/when it is paired with a TouchPad. If this little device has all the connection capabilities they have shown off with the Pre 3 (Bluetooth connection and touch-to-share), then it will be a wonder of extremes to have the Zoolander phone in your pocket rockiní with your big 10 inch slab on the table.

Review number Six:

HP Veer | Reviews | CNET UK

The Veer is small, but it really is mighty. It can do just about anything possible on a larger smart phone (sometimes even more, thanks to Flash playback) and its keyboard is surprisingly usable. It's only let down by the fact its screen isn't best suited to video playback and the number of apps in its App Catalog is limited. That aside, we think it could well be an astonishing handset.

Review number Seven:

HP Veer review: first look | PC Pro blog

Having said that, for anyone fed up of their smartphone wearing holes in their trouser pockets, we can see this being an attractive alternative. With seemingly every other manufacturer going bigger and bigger with their smartphones, itís nice to see one manufacturer lavishing attention in the other direction.

Rview number Eight:

HP Veer 4G review || HP Veer 4G landing at AT&T May 15 !!!!!!!!!!! ~ ONLY FOR YOU !!!!!!!

Although the system has its own app market, selection is very limited compared to Appleís iOS and Google Android. Nonetheless, putting a selection of webOS smartphones on sale will be the first step in rekindling new developer interest in the platformóand the Veer is certainly unlike almost anything else on the market.

Review number Nine:

HP Veer 4G First-Look Review ę Gadget Reports

Iím surprised by how much I already like the HP Veer 4G, even though Iíve only had it for a few hours. After reviewing so many gigantic smartphones itís nice to use something more petite that takes up hardly any room in my pocket.

Iím not sure whether my initial infatuation will last, however, because the Veer is the smallest phone Iíve ever used. The keyboard is surprisingly usable, but I do have to do a lot of scrolling to see entire email messages, for example, so there are some obvious downsides to the small form factor.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The majority of those seem to be first looks or previews.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The majority of those seem to be first looks or previews.
    That's not very surprising considering the following:
    1. The phone isn't actually on sale.
    2. Most of the reviewers just got the phone 2 or so days ago.

I think they reviewers are starting out on the right foot in terms of the Veer, even with first review.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    When I called Sprint about the Airave, I also asked about any new WebOS devices that might be coming to Sprint. I was told that he had heard rumors of a new device coming out in the late summer, but that he didn't hear of a set-day. So it's just another rumor, but a lot of rumors do keep pointing to the summer. Maybe we will get lucky and get a new WebOS device by the time summer is out.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

I can't remember what I've read already, so I'm not sure if carriers were announced for the Touchpad. Just thinking if it does come to Sprint, a new webOS phone would have to follow (or precede ) for this "ecosystem" idea to really mean anything. I don't think their dream of connectivity applies only to AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by akabadnews View Post
    I can't remember what I've read already, so I'm not sure if carriers were announced for the Touchpad. Just thinking if it does come to Sprint, a new webOS phone would have to follow (or precede ) for this "ecosystem" idea to really mean anything. I don't think their dream of connectivity applies only to AT&T.
    That would seem to be true. Why would Sprint (Only) get a WebOS tablet? You would think they would also get some mobile phones as well. Me personally, I don't want a tablet; I want a PDA like the Pre. I just wish Sprint would announce the devices already. It's horrible not knowing whether Sprint will get WebOS devices or not.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Today it was announced that HP launched the pre-paid 3G service for notebooks called DataPass specifically in a deal with Sprint. Here's the link so you can draw your own conclusions if there's any significance.

This is a pretty big investment for HP to make with Sprint which to me indicates there is still a relationship here. What I take from that is there is now a better chance we will see either the Pre3 or a later WebOS device on Sprint this year.

Obviously only time will tell but I thought this might be relevant.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdacats View Post
    Today it was announced that HP launched the pre-paid 3G service for notebooks called DataPass specifically in a deal with Sprint. Here's the link so you can draw your own conclusions if there's any significance.

This is a pretty big investment for HP to make with Sprint which to me indicates there is still a relationship here. What I take from that is there is now a better chance we will see either the Pre3 or a later WebOS device on Sprint this year.

Obviously only time will tell but I thought this might be relevant.
    This is not a deal between HP and Sprint it is a deal between HP and Peregrine Network (a privately held company). Peregrine contracts with Sprint to use their data network, so this does not mean that there is a relationship between HP and Sprint.
    Let me first say, that I pretty much hate when people say a Sprint rep told them this or told them that. It happens all the time, and we all know, the reps don't know ****. That being said, I walked into Sprint the other day to check out the Nexus S, and when I walked in, the only two people in the store other than me, both reps, were in the middle of a conversation about how they(sprint) are getting the pre 3. They quieted down when I walked up, and I simply asked them about it, they said yep, we're getting it, just don't know when. Again.... I hate these stories. But that happened.
    I would be so pleased and delighted if Sprint got the Pre3. My next discount is September first, but until then, I'll be rockin my Sprint frankenpre plus!
    Last edited by RJKinsman; 05/10/2011 at 08:21 PM.