View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

103 24.29%
  • NO

83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

63 14.86%
Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    Think I am done with Palm/HP to be honest. I've had an android phone for 6 months or so now and I'm really liking it. HP taking too long, and by the time the Pre3 is out it just won' match up. If they released the Pre3 in Q1 2011 and then followed that up with a Pre4 in Q3 2011 then that would have been a different story. As a dev that has an app in the catalog it's pretty depressing to be honest
    I am the exact opposite. When my Pre Minus died, I got an EVO (off-contract). I spent the first few weeks in love, flashing all kinds of crazy ROMs and trying different mods (Let's face it - I killed my Pre Minus running insane hacks, did you really think I was going to stop? It's a crippling addiction.).

Then it hit me - the user experience is just awful on Android. The force closes, the slow loads, the entire app list needing to reload every time you reboot, the chintzy awful looking apps that make up 99.9% of the Market. Also, even though SwiftKey is a great keyboard replacement, I still can't type as fast on a virtual keyboard as I could on my Pre's keyboard. And how does Google, a company that makes billions off of its search engine, have the most pathetic implementation of search in its OS? Universal Search blows the doors off of Android search, to the point that I never use Android search because it'll be faster to just hunt and peck.

Also, I've heard Josh Topolsky and others speak unending praises about Android's Gmail client. I think they're high as a kite, because email is awful on the EVO - I have to have two separate email clients, because I have two Gmail accounts and an IMAP account, and Google decided that having a single, unified email program would make way too much sense. On my Pre/Pre 2, I can just glance at a single inbox and view all of my email at once - on my EVO, I have to tap between two separate programs, and even the two Gmail inboxes are separated and can't be viewed together. Synergy has officially broken me for any other kind of email experience possible.

So now, my EVO is primarily used for phone calls, mobile hotspotting, and the occasional text message (though since I converted my Sprint number to Google Voice, I really don't even need my phone for them) - everything else I primarily do on my Developer Day Pre 2 over WiFi. Yeah, it's a bit slower, has a smaller, lower-resolution screen, and doesn't have all the wacky bells and whistles that my EVO has - but it also doesn't make me want to throw it to the floor in frustration and smash it with a baseball bat.

If Sprint gets the Pre 3, I will get it day one - thank god I didn't renew my contract to get the EVO.
    Last edited by Libb; 05/03/2011 at 11:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    The first time I tried to setup a user's email on a Palm Pre, I absolutely hated it. The interface was so different than any I had used before that I could not find my way around. It was quite embarrassing for me to have the user showing me how to perform basic navigational gestures, as I was usually the one showing end users how to use their phones. I was previously a WinMo user myself, I liked it pretty well, despite a few shortcomings it worked well for me. Since then, however, I have had the opportunity to toy with a couple more Pre's and have grown to enjoy webOS.

My last two HTC phones (S743 and Tilt2) fell apart inside their warranty periods but HTC refused to do anything about it. So, now I'm thinking it's time for a change and the Pre 3 sounds like just what I've been looking for. I am not a huge app downloader, in fact I have used smartphones for a couple years and don't even have a data plan; so, the comparably small app store is not a big deal to me. I just want a full featured phone that's easy to use and won't throw a whole lot of restrictions on me. I've tried to drop back to "high-end" messaging phones for now but they are nothing more than a bad joke.

While the Pre 3 might not gain a huge new crowd of webOS smartphone users, and this round of new devices might not pull a large market share for HP on it's own, I think it's a good start. With a bit of creative marketing, a couple rounds of solid releases, and a strong push by HP for quality app developers, I still think webOS has a shot.

I don't care if the specs don't quite match what everyone else is doing. If everyone did the same stuff life would be boring. This phone sounds great to me, much better than what I've had for the last two years and I look forward to buying one as soon as they're released!
    I remember HP touting, not only the Veer, Pre 3 and TP but OTHER devices to launch before year’s end. I believe HP has larger plans in the works to create their own ecosystem. To me, it seems like we are in the beginning stages and more devices will certainly be in the works. I am holding on until year’s end to see what HP has to offer. Carriers will follow.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperIT View Post
    The first time I tried to setup a user's email on a Palm Pre, I absolutely hated it. The interface was so different than any I had used before that I could not find my way around. It was quite embarrassing for me to have the user showing me how to perform basic navigational gestures, as I was usually the one showing end users how to use their phones. I was previously a WinMo user myself, I liked it pretty well, despite a few shortcomings it worked well for me. Since then, however, I have had the opportunity to toy with a couple more Pre's and have grown to enjoy webOS.
    Its funny you mention this, because when I got my Pre and my wife's Pre, I was amazed at how the email accounts practically set themselves up. The interface is the most intuitive one out there. With that under my belt, I tried to help a friend with his Droid, and I totally screwed the email program up. It wasn't until later that I found out that Android has a separate Gmail app from the regular email app (incredibly stupid!). I hope Sprint gets the Pre 3 just so I don't get stuck with Android!
    I just got off the phone with a Sprint representative in response to a "dan@sprint.com" e-mail. In my e-mail, I basically explained that there are three things that will make me consider leaving Sprint when my contract expires:

1) Changing of the Sprint Premier program and loss of early upgrade
    2) WiMAX vs. LTE (while not a big deal now, bigger due to lack of upgrade)
    3) Lack of WebOS options

According to this representative, who is presumably more knowledgable than a standard phone rep, Sprint has no current plans to offer a WebOS device - certainly not before my contract expiration (based on Pre launch date). As we know, she mentioned that all planned smartphone launches at this point are Android-based.

Look like June churn for Sprint will be +1.
    Sprint had better have the Pre 3 on sprint or they will have LOTS of people leaving Sprint!!!! I will be among them when my Pre- fails! I will go to the carrier that has WebOS and I've been a Sprint customer for over 10 years.
    ok
    Willing to put down money Google will buy Sprint within 2 years. We have a major brick wall to get over first, that is we will have to pay 2-3times more for the same time that isn't unlimited.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Google buying Sprint? Haha.

And no Sprint webOS phone before June? I don't think many people had hopes for the Pre3 coming to Sprint now knowing of the elusive slab that's floating around..

I'll be fine with my Pre 2 until that slab comes around.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    Please merge with all of the other spec posts please, yawn....
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    I just want a carrier announcement and/or release date. This phone was announced 2-3months ago. They are dropping the ball. Now is the time for this info. The Veer announcement with just AT&T isnt going to do it in the world of 4.3 screens. I just need to know if I will need to be switching my main number to a different carrier.
    Well put.

I'm ready for a cutting edge super phone... but all I hear are distant crickets from HP/Sprint WebOS parings....
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Willing to put down money Google will buy Sprint within 2 years. We have a major brick wall to get over first, that is we will have to pay 2-3times more for the same time that isn't unlimited.
    Ok i'll bite. A search engine/cloud software company that makes the vast majority of it's profits on advertising will buy struggling, only recently barely profitable, third place telecom for what reason?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fubka View Post
    I was on the phone with Sprint to remove some txt msg spam charge, they of course try to get me to renew (launch month sprint pre) and asked about the Pre 3. They told me about some Kerocera phone that looks like the Pre....
    Kerocera...Looks like the Pre... And in their mind is what you want

LOL LOL LOL

I just splashed my screen with milk. Thanks
    All i have to say is im so freakin tired of waiting on HP and Palm to get their stuff together. Makes no freaking since! Granted im happy with my pre minus for now. Like the rest of the webOS Nation i cant see myself going to any other platform, but if the Pre 3 doesnt come to Sprint, i just might have too. Everyone else is just to darn expensive. So if your listening HP, get on the ball. Im get really tired of defending you to my friends who already have ipads and playbooks.
    At this point, my hopes are on an unlocked Pre 3 that Sprint will allow me to use on their network. If that doesn't pan out, I guess I'll be looking at Androids.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Ok i'll bite. A search engine/cloud software company that makes the vast majority of it's profits on advertising will buy struggling, only recently barely profitable, third place telecom for what reason?
    Google is a communications company. There isn't a format of digital data that they do not host or deliver. With Google Fiber rolling out they have shown that they are also interested in the physical delivery of that data.

Sprint would be a low cost purchase to get into the wireless delivery market. And it will not be about cell phones. It isn't about a dedicated voice/text one trick pony pipeline like our "phone" and "messaging" applications use now. It is about 3/4G data. And how that pipeline will literally change the world of what you consider human communication.
    I for one welcome our new Google overlords and wish them to know of this fact. Soon when all information has to go through Google, I want the New God that technology has wrought to smile upon my communications. All hail the monopoly!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    All hail the monopoly!
    I like Google services, especially here in education. But, the amount of data they posses as text, audio and video is worrying as well. Statistics, applied to all that data, is a frighteningly powerful tool.

But, like public roads, I hope soon nations will feel that data transmission is just as important as physical product transportation. And just as we build public roads because of their multiplicative benefit to society, nations will standardize data towers that anyone can hop on. Within reason. Just as roads have laws of use, the data pipes would need laws of use as well.

And overtime competitors to Google's data products can have a lower barrier of entry into the market.

And I'll be able to get a Pre10 even if Sprint doesn't carry it.
    so, I think they are basically telling us that At&t is going to be their carrier right? I just dont see HP releaseing the touchpad or pre 3 on sprint when at&t has the veer exclusivley. HP is trying to sell and "ecosystem" and that stategy with multiple carriers jsut doenst make sense. Its a very sad day for me becuase I wanted to stay with sprint. I will hold on to my launch day pre and my wifes pixi for a bit longer but I think the writing is in the sand on this one... thoughts?
    From what I've heard (from a Sprint rep I work with) there is still a good chance that Sprint will pick up some HP devices. They didn't even make a cdma version of the Veer, because the cdma radio is bigger than the gsm one.