View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

103 24.29%
  • NO

83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

63 14.86%
Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    lol. u mean pre 4?

Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Hopefully it's taking so long because they are upgrading the cameras, adding a 4G radio, higher resolution screen, NFC, a gyroscope, fingerprint reader and an app that builds you and island and then transforms the phone into a jet and flies you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmoe88 View Post
    WHATTTT!?!?!?! SEPTEMBER?! VERIZON!?! Man if this is true, HP really just screwed us Sprint folks over. I've been eligible for an upgrade since March and my current Pre- is falling apart. WHAT HAPPENED TO A SUMMER RELEASE HP!!! If It's confirmed Verizon is getting it, then I'm gonna jump the ship and get the EVO 3D or Nexus S 4G. I'm not a big fan of Android but I need something new and exciting! I'll go back to webOS once Sprint releases one with hardware specs comparable to the flagship devices of HTC and Samsung.
    I think they will give you guys (sprint dudes) a good deal on something. I am thinking that when they release a pre on sprint, they will offer it to you guys for free. That's my thought.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    A couple of things:

1) technically the first weeks of September are summer, so is anyone surpised that a Palm product is coming out at the end of the announced window? But, yeah, that stinks.

2) isn't the iPhone 5 rumored to come out in September? Don't know if Verizon will get it then (probably ATT only but who knows) but even so, I'm sure that people would be willing to wait for the probably better spec'd iPhone if they've had to wait that long for the Pre 3

3) why wouldn't HP release the Pre 3 at the same time as the TouchPad? One of the only differentiating functions between the TP and other pads is touch-to-share. If there's no phone to do that with (maybe the Veer by then but I don't think that would be enough to make the sales they'll need) why get the TP when the iPad might be more appealing to the masses?

I know this is just a rumor, but I gotta tell you folks, I'm getting more and more scared off from HP/Palm all the time. I understand why Palm had problems with meeting deadlines and releasing, but come on, HP is one of the biggest tech companies out there. If they're handling the release of new products as badly as Palm did (and right now it seems like they are) then I'm worried about sticking around with them. As much as it pains me, I'm looking at the iPhone (4 or 5) with new eyes and interest. These next few months (I'm due for an upgrade in July) are going to be gut-wrenchingly tense.

Hoping that HP steps up soon. Really hoping........
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    The Pre3 is NOT coming to Sprint. Sprint has no interest in that phone and I think the recent FCC filings show that HP has nothing coming to Sprint. What a shame.

I think you are right...and frankly, I'm not sure that I even care any longer. If it came out tomorrow I'm not sure I would buy it. Flash 10.1 is on Froyo devices and 10.2 on Gingerbread handsets. I bought my daughter a Samsung Epic 4G and have decided Android is the way forward for me as well. There is so much more choice in handsets and software...including MLB, HBO, and soon, Hulu and Netflix streaming. Think you will ever see that type of DRM content for WebOS?

I am tied to sprint because I love their pricing model, so my only question is whether to get the Epic, get the Nexus 4G for a pure Android phone, get an Evo 3D this summer, or wait and hope that Sprint gets a Galaxy S2 handset fairly soon.

Honestly, I come here for nostalgia now. WebOS lost this battle some time ago...and I'm not sure why a carrier would even pick them up at this point. Drop by the Sprint forums at Phone Arena or Android Central and check out all of the posters who were launch day Pre minus buyers who have tired of waiting and who have jumped to Android. I was shocked. HP really managed to screw this so badly that most of their platform evangelists have moved to another platform...and many folks are finding out that the other platform is actually not that bad...and the hardware options are amazing.
    if you are leaving webOS, for the love of goodness do not look at the iPhone. I just came from there. That OS is horrible, I mean HORRIBLE. So limited and lacks so much functionality. Not to mention some things in it are just plain DUMB. Anyway, I agree with all your points. I'm still stickin to webOS though. I have been across all platforms since I left webOS back in summer of 2010. WebOS is unmatched.
    hopefully at&t will have the Veer and Pre3 looooong before VZW.
    September...lol. They are on the express train to irrelevancy. By then, the Nexus S 4G, Evo3D, and a half dozen other monster Android-based phones will have come out...and the amazing Galaxy S2 is not far behind.

Imagine what this graph will look like in September:

Nielsen: Desire for iPhone slips as Android gains | The Digital Home - CNET News

...and you wonder why HP is even bothering. They must have the WebOS division's entire future bet on the tablet.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    if you are leaving webOS, for the love of goodness do not look at the iPhone. I just came from there. That OS is horrible, I mean HORRIBLE. So limited and lacks so much functionality. Not to mention some things in it are just plain DUMB. Anyway, I agree with all your points. I'm still stickin to webOS though. I have been across all platforms since I left webOS back in summer of 2010. WebOS is unmatched.
    Well, I've tried Android and hated it. Windows Phone doesn't look the least bit appealing. And no interest whatsoever in Blackberry. That only leaves iOS. I've played with it on my iPod and it's OK, not webOS great, but workable. And as much as I hate to say it, Apple at this point is more reliable than HP looks to be. Believe me, I'm really conflicted. I just hope that HP pulls themselves together by summer and I'm not forced to make a decision.
    Here's an old joke: A comedians' club hosts a regular stand-up night for fellow comedians. Since they've heard almost every joke, they decide that instead of actually telling each joke, they'll assign numbers to them, for brevity's sake. So instead of "A nun, a construction worker and a penguin walk into a bar... ", they say "63".

The night is going swell. One guy gets up and says "25!". The audience erupts in laughter. A gal walks up, glares at the audience, and says "55!". Screams and rolling on the floor.

Then the new guy walks up and says "83!". Dead silence. Then booing. He walks back to the bar shaking his head, and one of the old-timers pats him on the back and says "Hey, it was just the way you told it".

I think we need to start assigning numbers to predictable forum responses. 1 = "I'm still hopeful something will happen", 2 = "I've given them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm losing my patience", 3 = "If nothing happens by <given date> I'm leaving!", 4 = "Those <horrible people>! I'd go to another carrier if.. ". 5 = "Yeah, I'm done. And here are my several posts about why I'm quitting webOS", and of course 6 = "HAHA! I bought a different phone but I love coming back to troll y'all!"

Feel free to add more numbers. I bet we could hit 20 by Monday.
    WHATTTT!?!?!?! SEPTEMBER?! VERIZON!?! Man if this is true, HP really just screwed us Sprint folks over. I've been eligible for an upgrade since March and my current Pre- is falling apart. WHAT HAPPENED TO A SUMMER RELEASE HP!!! If It's confirmed Verizon is getting it, then I'm gonna jump the ship and get the EVO 3D or Nexus S 4G. I'm not a big fan of Android but I need something new and exciting! I'll go back to webOS once Sprint releases one with hardware specs comparable to the flagship devices of HTC and Samsung.
    Chill! We're getting the 'stingray' on sprint!

The fact that these guys only mentioned VERIZON makes me question their validity. We already know a GSM only Pre 3 just got pushed through the FCC! With no mention of AT&T by the OP we can only assume the September date is for Verizon and has no implications for other carriers. I'm betting Verizon was the only carrier mentioned because the OP has Verizon. I don't think the OP meant to imply the AT&T or Sprint release dates would be the same or only Verizon would be getting the Pre 3.

Since the GSM Pre 3 went through the FCC at the same time as the TouchPad it could imply a similar release date. I mean we haven't even gotten wind of the CDMA or CDMA/GSM world phone from the FCC which could I believe implies a later release for those versions. It adds fuel to the speculations here that HP may be trying to stuff in a LTE or WiMax radio into the pre3. I mean, can you seriously imagine AT&T being able to market the "Pre 3 4G" (which they undoubtedly will) while Verizon and Sprint only get the Pre 3? I imagine that would make Verizon or Sprint pretty upset.

It looks more and more like AT&T will be solely giving out all of the WebOS love for a couple months. Hopefully they market it right, and with no new apple products out this summer they might as well advertise the crap out of the Veer/Pre3/TouchPad along with HP.

The news still sucks for us CDMA folks though. I had alot of hopes HP would score as many points as possible this summer before the release of the iPhone 5.

With the info I've heard so far this is my honest prediction:

Veer release: End of May/June
    TouchPad: End of June/July
    GSM Pre 3 4G (AT&T): Same as TouchPad
    CDMA/GSM/LTE Pre 3 4G (Verizon/TMobile???Why not?): September!
    CDMA/WiMax Slab 4G (Sprint): September/Early Fall
    CDMA/GSM/WiMax Pre 3 4G (Sprint): More and more I can see this not happening unfortunately. I see HP putting a WiMax radio in the slab first just for Sprint with an LTE radio later when the 6 month exclusive is over. I don't see them putting a WiMax radio in the Pre 3 for some reason and I don't see Sprint picking up a 3G only Pre 3.

/Speculation
    Last edited by axoneill; 04/30/2011 at 09:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post
    Chill! We're getting the 'stingray' on sprint!

The fact that these guys only mentioned VERIZON makes me question their or the OPs validity. We already know a GSM only Pre 3 just got pushed through the FCC! With no mention of AT&T by the OP we can only assume the September date is for Verizon and has no implications for other carriers. I'm betting Verizon was the only carrier mentioned because the OP has Verizon.

Since the GSM Pre 3 went through the FCC at the same time as the TouchPad it could imply a similar release date. I mean we haven't even gotten wind of the CDMA or CDMA/GSM world phone from the FCC which could I believe implies a later release for those versions. It adds fuel to the speculations here that HP may be trying to stuff in a

It looks more and more like AT&T will be solely giving out all of the WebOS love for a couple months. Hopefully they market it right, and with no new apple products out this summer they might as well advertise the crap out of the Veer/Pre3/TouchPad along with HP.

The news still sucks for us CDMA folks though. I had alot of hopes HP would score as many points as possible this summer before the release of the iPhone 5.
    Maybe ! but maybe not ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Maybe ! but maybe not ?
    Until HP decides that we are important to them "maybe" is all we'll have unfortunately. Like "maybe" those HP reps actually knew what they were talking about or "maybe" the conversation or any of the "hey I talked to so and so" conversations even happened.

HP needs to do something quick. I'm not saying they have to make the mistakes of announcing specs or a ton of details too far in advance but an update of any kind would be nice. For example they could announce one carrier and say more are in the works. Or they could make an announcement to Sprint folks "again, don't worry guys, you won't be disappointed."

Imagine if HP announced "for sure/already completed" third party apps individually the second that word was final. They would get press buzz time and time again. Like "HP confirmed WebOS will have Netflix/Hulu/HBO/ESPN 3 streaming" and then a few days later "Today HP and Amazon released details on their amazing app for WebOs devices coming this June!" In the month preceding a release they could have one or two stories like this a week to generate alot of buzz.

Maybe we're too fickle with what we're given, but being the huge underdogs it would be nice for HP to give what support it has left some love. Official love.

Why should they do this? Because some people including myself are at the point where we actually think its possible these new phones are going to end up like the Pre 2. Online only, single carrier, and zero marketing.

Its May already. May. Officially we know little more than we did in February. Did anyone see that coming?

Other platforms are flashing all their shiny new hardware our direction and its drawing people away. All we can do is say "Hey guys, we've got cool stuff coming soon too, right HP? Right? You there HP? I thought you had my back HP? Oh cool, a Veer launch party? What does that mean? Cancelled? Never mind..."

The Pre- had much much more buzz leading up to its release, remember? And that device failed! Compare that to now. "HP Webos" is still in the top bar of engadget but it hasn't been updated since February 9th. What is going on?
    Last edited by axoneill; 04/30/2011 at 09:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    I've been eligible for an upgrade since March and my current Pre- is falling apart.
    Have you checked ebay? Buy one off ebay, Amazon, craigslist, or wherever you can find one and use it till the Pre3 is released. Seems pretty easy to me.
    I'll believe it when hp announces it not any reps walking around in stores. Until an official announcement comes from HPalm.I'll believe about 25% of it.
    I have a sal shaker too guys, don't worry. But 4 different people have told me the same thing. The salt shaker is getting quite small.
    Well, the HP webos site still showing the Pre3 for a "planned availabilty this summer" HP Pre3 | Business Smartphone, Business Mobile Phones

IMHO If HP dont take advantage of the bundle: TouchPad/Pre3 which have the Touch to Share feature releasing both devices at the same time, will be a major failure. Unless they have some components shortages I dont believe what the Verizon salesman said, until HP changes the "planned availabitly for September" on the official web site.

For September HP should think in a new device with at least a dual-core CPU and 8 mpxls camera, which is the smarphone market standard out there now. Even the iPhone 5 is rumored to come with an A5 dual-core and 8 mpxls camera for September.
    I don't think Sprint will get anymore WebOS devices. Just look at the FCC filings.
    How about assigning 0 to "talked to a rep today" stories, we have had a lot of zeros in here lately, lol....
    minus zero to freeze it to the bone