View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

103 24.29%
  • NO

83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

63 14.86%
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    this is the most solid piece of evidence regarding the HPre3 and Sprint I've ever heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    this is the most solid piece of evidence regarding the HPre3 and Sprint I've ever heard.
    It's obviously not much to go on and it doesn't really tell us much that we didn't expect before. We're all hopeful that it makes its way to Sprint, but the call told me:

(1) They really do plan on bringing in the Pre 3
    (2) The rep had no idea what he was talking about
    <<Thread merged>>
    Well, VZW and Sprint both use the 1900mhz frequency so isn't it possible for the Pre3 to work on their network?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's interesting that employees who are that well versed in strategic product launch schedules are assigned to do telephone surveys.
    I had just told the rep that the Pre 3 was a reason for me to stick with Sprint, so I'm guessing that was part of his "knowledge" of the situation
    I was in a Sprint store today and I asked if they were going to get the Pre 3. They told me that they are slated to get HP products this summer. He told me to talk to another associate who was just to new hire training. She told me that an HP rep told them to be ready for a lot of HP products from phones to tablets hitting the deck this summer. She said they were working on a whole eco system. Lets hope this is correct information. I asked why Sprint didn't get the Pre 2, he said that Sprint didn't want it because of the "bad" hardware on the Pre.
    I will wait to see what happens.
    I was at two Sprint stores today...and spoke at length with two managers, two sales reps, a repair tech, and another fairly educated Pre user who was shopping.

The upshot - none of the Sprint employees claimed to know anything about a future WebOS device on Sprint. Quite the opposite in fact. They all seemed to think that Sprint was done with HP/Palm devices.

BTW, the other Pre user was there to upgrade to a 4G Android handset...and I was there for the same reason. We have three launch day Pre's in my house...and they are all eligible for upgrade...and my daughter wanted the Epic 4G (now running Froyo). I bought it and I was blown away by it.

My wife and I may not be far behind. I can't believe we still have to rely on threads like this for info...and am also bewildered that HP/Palm is letting their most ardent/zealous supporters (i.e., Sprint launch day buyers) slip away.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    also why in the world would sprint pass on all webos devices, when they need to be as compeititve as possiable. especially if this tmo, AT&T merger goes through. So no i doubt highly Sprint will pass on all HP webos products.

Because supporting a platform is expensive. Minimizing number of vendors and platform OSes helps reduce requirements, development, test, certification, training, and support budgets. A better question is why SHOULD they support it? Android is a significant player...and they have bet the farm on it...and it's a pretty good bet based on mobile OS market share. I'm sure they would also love to sell the iPhone if they could due to consumer demand, but why add in another vendor with a completely unique platform when there is no significant demand for it?

I would love to be proven wrong, but this seems to be another chapter in the long history of Palm that reads the same - take forever trying to perfect something to bring it to market only to find out that the war was over before they even stepped on to the battlefield.
    I have yet to hear the logic or reasoning behind the assumption that the slab phone shown next to the Pre 3 in the picture a while back is even a WebOS phone.

The phone is off for one thing, two there is absolutely nothing distinguishing about it that would identify it as either an HP or Palm designed phone.

It makes just as much sense to me that someone took this shot in order to show the comparison in size of the Pre 3 to a typical slab phone.

Again, where is the reasoning or logic behind this assumption that it's a WebOS phone? Because it's in the same shot?? Really? I have pictures of a dolphin next to a cat and I'm fairly certain there's no connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I was at two Sprint stores today...and spoke at length with two managers, two sales reps, a repair tech, and another fairly educated Pre user who was shopping.

The upshot - none of the Sprint employees claimed to know anything about a future WebOS device on Sprint. Quite the opposite in fact. They all seemed to think that Sprint was done with HP/Palm devices.

BTW, the other Pre user was there to upgrade to a 4G Android handset...and I was there for the same reason. We have three launch day Pre's in my house...and they are all eligible for upgrade...and my daughter wanted the Epic 4G (now running Froyo). I bought it and I was blown away by it.

My wife and I may not be far behind. I can't believe we still have to rely on threads like this for info...and am also bewildered that HP/Palm is letting their most ardent/zealous supporters (i.e., Sprint launch day buyers) slip away.
    +1
    I want to stay with Web OS but that Evo 3D looks killer.
    The lack of any carrier/release date info, and here it is almost three months since the big event, is flat out disappointing.
    I was a Web OS evangelist, got 3 people to buy Pres but if HP doesn't care about original Pre users, then it's Evo 3D I go.
    Unless you have a broken Pre.. Just wait and see whats going to happen.. If you love your Pre that much is it really going to kill you to have to keep using it for 3 or 4 more months.. I myself will get the Pre 3 when it is available and where it is available.. I love Sprint but I love the phone more.. I have in my mind convinced myself I will haveit in my hands by November.. Any month earlier will just be a present surprise and in the mean time I have not completely driven myself bonkers with worrying about when, when,

My wifes Pre failed and they had no replacement so they sent her a HTC phone that was close to what she had.. She will use it till the Pre 3 is available and it will not affect her upgrade..

Look at it like this,,, Christmas is going to come twice this year.. That bigger Pre is going to be completely awesome... I like having something to look forward too..
    I cannot allow myself to pay $40+for the same exact service by moving from Sprint as my carrier. I am waiting it out since my Pre is in excellent shape because it's only a couple months old(my sixth Pre). I'm afraid that the Pre 3 will be grossly behind in hardware/software by the time it is finally released, and worse, a couple years later when I can upgrade. I guess I could pay for the Gold package and upgrade in 12mos. instead of 22 with the Silver package. HP really has poor timing and have already lost so many WebOS devotees, it's a sad state of affairs.
    Palm Pre Legacy WebOS 2.1
    http://www.prethemer.com/profile/holley2583/themes, Checkum' Out!
    I told everyone here that SPrint has passed on HP, they soured on PAlm products will pass on it and maybe pick it on the next go around.

I just made complete jump to Apple and Apple Products.
    Love it.
  14.    #194  
    We're still hearing rumors both ways.
    Of course, everyone's source has the credentials and is the only real reliable one.
    I really want WebOS to blow up. I want a strong device on all networks. I'm really starting to feel the burn from lack of applications. I look everyday hoping a new application is in the beta feeds or in the catalog worth messing around with but sadly there isn't any. I hate Android but with Samsung and other companies stepping their game up with their custom user interfaces it's all starting to look too tempting.

I left Android (and my Motorola Droid) for a Pre plus in September last year 1) Because I thought Android was ugly 2) The applications were ugly on my phone because the way Android scales applications for multiple screen sizes. But now... Look at some of these applications, the majority are amazing looking:

40+ Beautiful Android Application Interfaces and Icons | Android.AppStorm

Now look at Samsung's Galaxy S 2 TouchWiz 4.0:

Samsung Galaxy S II user interface - Engadget Galleries

I feel absolutely sick to my stomach about this because I vowed never to touch Android again but if HP drops the ball on WebOS on mobile I feel this or WP7 might be my last resorts. I thought about iOS and Blackberry, but iOS doesn't support flash and I've kind of become accustomed to it and Blackberry's best devices are it's non-touch ones like the Curve 3G with OS6 but all of their applications look like mobile websites. Somebody comfort me
    This is why I left, I had BB 9650 then got the HTC EVO got bored of Android moved to the Pre in hopes that HP would come out with a great device in March, but soon it dawned on me that with no date of release and no apps ( Games or Applications ) I realized that companies are not interested in making software for webOS they are to busy with iOs and Android with some RIM in there. So now I have iPhone 4 and a total eco-system at home and I honestly I have no regrets. The only bad thing is that I cant install hacked app like I did with Android. I had good apps on Android without rooting it. But the iOS does everything i need and more, plus awesome screen. I thought the screen be so small but it really is not, my wife totally loves her white iPhone 4, said no comparing it to EVO and she is a regular user not a super user or hacker. She falls in with the majority of the users out there. I spoke to her about getting the Pre 3 and Touchpad so she said does it have apps? I said no so she said why get it, she has a point. This is how the rest of the people think. webOs is falling behind everyday more and more. Android is coming with 3.0 OS and Apple coming with iOS 5 but HP is not fully even on 2.5 or 3.0 so they are way behind. It is a shame such a company not pushing things little bit faster.
    Got an email newsletter from HP today on their WebOS devices. Maybe they're hearing the chatter on these forums about the exasperation of potential Pre3 buyers jumping ship to droid, etc. The HP newsletter had this statement on the Pre3 - "Planned availability this summer." It's only a crumb of info, but anything is better than nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhiraihnl View Post
    statement on the Pre3 - "Planned availability this summer." It's only a crumb of info, but anything is better than nothing.
    So, that is what they said back in March.

ET
    Thats what they said in February...
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    This is why I left, I had BB 9650 then got the HTC EVO got bored of Android moved to the Pre in hopes that HP would come out with a great device in March, but soon it dawned on me that with no date of release and no apps ( Games or Applications ) I realized that companies are not interested in making software for webOS they are to busy with iOs and Android with some RIM in there. So now I have iPhone 4 and a total eco-system at home and I honestly I have no regrets. The only bad thing is that I cant install hacked app like I did with Android. I had good apps on Android without rooting it. But the iOS does everything i need and more, plus awesome screen. I thought the screen be so small but it really is not, my wife totally loves her white iPhone 4, said no comparing it to EVO and she is a regular user not a super user or hacker. She falls in with the majority of the users out there. I spoke to her about getting the Pre 3 and Touchpad so she said does it have apps? I said no so she said why get it, she has a point. This is how the rest of the people think. webOs is falling behind everyday more and more. Android is coming with 3.0 OS and Apple coming with iOS 5 but HP is not fully even on 2.5 or 3.0 so they are way behind. It is a shame such a company not pushing things little bit faster.
    Heck, HP is not fully on 2.1 yet!