Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I just got back from a trip to France with my AT&T Pre+, using a local SIM card. I can't tell you how frustrating it was going back to 2G speeds, since the Pre+ will only do 3G on the U.S. frequencies.

Now, if I'm reading the specs correctly, the GSM Pre 3 that passed the FCC is also only using U.S. frequencies. I'm on AT&T specifically because I travel a lot and wanted to have a GSM phone for that reason. Ironically, it looks like the only U.S. Pre 3 that will get 3G in Europe is the Verizon version. How bizarre is that? This seems like a pretty stupid mistake. My old GSM Treo Pro was 3G in Europe. What is HP (or is it AT&T?) thinking?
    The reason why is because the US GSM carriers don't use the world standard GSM frequencies for 3G. However, the great news is that the HP Pre3 is a World Phone. Meaning that it supports all GSM and CDMA frequencies out there. This is why they are able to push out that this is a business phone because you can travel with it and have 3G speeds.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I think you'll find that Palm's definition of 'world phone' is cdma and gsm (2G) combined with US 3G freqs only, not US and EU 3G bands combined.

-- Rod
    veer won't have this problem right? veer has 2100 right?
    They both have 2100, but 2100 doesn't mean 3G everywhere. Lots of places outside of the US are 900 (especially non-metro areas)

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I think Palm and now HP have been behind in antenna design for quite some time. I suspect now that there is some cash, they can invest in this area (one of many) to improve, we likely won't see much improvement for a few years though.
    Seeing that for the Pre2 the problem is even worse (US: 850/1900 EU: 900/2100), I don't know if the Pre3 will change on that matter.
    Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    I try to use wifi whenever I can overseas anyway....
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    The US version of the GSM Pre is not a world phone. My choices will be switching to Verizon, and thus getting a true world phone, or switching to another phone altogether. Again, I just don't understand why HP would bake all the GSM frequencies into the CDMA version, but not do the same for the GSM version...unless it's a carrier decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I think you'll find that Palm's definition of 'world phone' is cdma and gsm (2G) combined with US 3G freqs only, not US and EU 3G bands combined.

-- Rod
    Thanks for clarifying.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by iradeut View Post
    The US version of the GSM Pre is not a world phone. My choices will be switching to Verizon, and thus getting a true world phone, or switching to another phone altogether. Again, I just don't understand why HP would bake all the GSM frequencies into the CDMA version, but not do the same for the GSM version...unless it's a carrier decision.
    Likely a carrier decision.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by iradeut View Post
    I just got back from a trip to France with my AT&T Pre+, using a local SIM card. I can't tell you how frustrating it was going back to 2G speeds, since the Pre+ will only do 3G on the U.S. frequencies.

Now, if I'm reading the specs correctly, the GSM Pre 3 that passed the FCC is also only using U.S. frequencies. I'm on AT&T specifically because I travel a lot and wanted to have a GSM phone for that reason. Ironically, it looks like the only U.S. Pre 3 that will get 3G in Europe is the Verizon version. How bizarre is that? This seems like a pretty stupid mistake. My old GSM Treo Pro was 3G in Europe. What is HP (or is it AT&T?) thinking?
    I'm to France in July and I currently have a Pre+ on AT&T. Where did you local sim card?
    Are you trying to hurt me?

-- Rod
    Slight correction, the HP "World Phone" Pre 3 combines US CDMA, Quad band GSM and EU 3G bands. I suppose, the idea being that it be used on only Verizon/Sprint in the US and on GSM outside the US.

The 'world phone' Pre 3 supports the following:
    GSM bands 850/900/1800/1900
    UMTS (3G) bands 900/2100
    CDMA/EvDO bands 850/1900.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Slight correction, the HP "World Phone" Pre 3 combines US CDMA, Quad band GSM and EU 3G bands. I suppose, the idea being that it be used on only Verizon/Sprint in the US and on GSM outside the US.

The 'world phone' Pre 3 supports the following:
    GSM bands 850/900/1800/1900
    UMTS (3G) bands 900/2100
    CDMA/EvDO bands 850/1900.
    Thanks for that correction. Looking at the FCC filing, I agree.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Thanks for that correction. Looking at the FCC filing, I agree.

-- Rod
    For those of us down here in Aus, that's Telstra NextG, and EDGE with everyone else, right?
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    For those of us down here in Aus, that's Telstra NextG, and EDGE with everyone else, right?
    The quad band GSM will cover all australian networks for 2G.

The 3G bands listed (900/2100) do not line up with NextG (which is 850).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

-- Rod

Oh right, 900/2100 UMTS are covered by Optus and Vodafone.

my Euro Pre 2 hasn't been running so hot on those, but its perfectly serviceable
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    Specs on gsm pre, I take it that eu stands for europe.
    HP Palm Pre3 16GB GSM EU Detailed Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications
    Specs for pre3, guessing usa from phone arena
    HP Pre 3 GSM specs - Phone Arena
    Frequency bands look identical.

I think usa is using umts band 4 (1700MHz) for tmo, hence no phone for them. The other is band 5 (850MHz) for att

So it looks like things should work overseas with their 3g. Then again I would love for an expert to explain.

-- Rod
    Quad-band GSM covers all or very nearly all frequencies in the world used for GSM (2G). To do the same for UMTS (3G), a UMTS penta-band radio is needed, which, to my knowledge, only Nokia is actually putting in devices.
    To add to HamsterKill's post, so far only Nokia N8 and its variants (keyboard version E7 I believe) have UMTS pentaband radios.

This is typically a carrier decision. It is usually neither a cost nor code/driver issue as the added cost for a better radio is not that much and most chipset vendors including Qualcomm make chips that have all frequencies supported...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast