Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Aye. I'm another current iPhone user who is ready to jump ship. I check this page every day waiting for more Pre3 information. Come on, AT&T/HP. Let's get this device out so I can have something to distract me from work.
    no i don't hate apple because they are at the top of the hill in some areas.

I dislike the company because they control and lock down everything. Its so locked down that you can't even really easily access your sim card.
    as a consumer, no company should tell me what I can and cannot do with my device after the point of sale.

I also dislike them due to their anti-competitive nature. Competition is a good thing, both for business and the end consumer.

apple, at least in my opinion, does not 'innovate'. Offering 3 different devices that essentially do the same thing is not innovation. Having 2 devices that interconnect, bring everything together, and talk is innovating (palm).

also, id say 60% of the users easily are just sheep. They only use apple products because their friends use them, its a status symbol and it makes them feel like they're cool and apart of the crowd. This is a society that is dominated by popularity, power & greed. Is it brilliant marketing? Sure it is. But apple doesn't fool me. I enjoy my individuality.

do I have anything against the actual devices? No. They work. Simple as that. But many others out there work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    I played with the Veer and I have to say that the slider is built much more solid then the pre, but the size is a joke, it looks and feels like a toy phone. Really the size a joke of a phone, it might be a great phone but size is to to to to small for my liking, but this is only my opinion we all have our own preference. I come from a long line of smart phone uses, I had the BB, Pre, EVO, Pre, iPhone4, each phone brought its own pros and cons, there is no perfect phone. I like the iPhone 4 and I was a long time hater of Apple products, but now I have iMac 27" MacBook Pro, iPad2 and the iPhone 4 and what I found is that Apple makes things very simple to use, there is no complexity with it. What I liked about webOS is the card switching but what I hated is the Pre hardware, the slider totally sucked, and the lack of apps " Not Games " but everyday useful apps. I see not lot of companies jumping on the webOS band wagon right now. HP is lacking behind in lot of key areas, the only thing that they have going for it is that BB PlayBook and the Moto Zoom did not do well on the market, if HP can come out with a bang and grab some kind of market share then they have a chance to get new people on board if not then it will be DOA, everyone hates Apple cause they are so successful at what they do, they set the bar so high that lot of companies cant beat them, and the users like us have our own preferences to what we use most users hate Apple cause they are good at what they do and everyone hates the guy on top of the hill, it is natural, if HP was top people would hate and try to knock down HP. I really dont see how HP with webOS will catch up to Apple, webOS market share is under 5%. HP has to find a market nitch just like Apple found it, thats the only way they can gain some ground. I dont see webOS beating out iOS or Android these two guys are just to big with huge following. HP needs phone that is a world phone to have world dominance. Palm sat to long on the sidelines and now it will be a huge up hill battle and dont think they will make it. They really dont have to be top they just have to get there own nitch and milk it as much as possible. But this is only my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Palm/HP webOS is pretty cool and yes the Veer and Pre 3 look very intriguing. How are you going to manage without all the apps...had to ask since that is all I hear from iPhone users? Or are you a typical iPhone user who only has native stuff (mail, web, chat, etc) and uses only a few extras that you can't live without?

Either way, glad to see someone else liking webOS as much as I do and good to hear Apple not blinding you to anything else. Welcome, Sorli...
    To mirror what the thread starter had to say, moving from iOS to WebOS has been an eye opener. Trying to get stuff done without an 'App for That' has been something of a challenge... Current WebOS offerings aren't very deep, but they hit most of the low hanging fruit. I'm in IT, so not having a LogMeIn Ignition, or even a good remote desktop client makes it difficult, but not impossible to handle. The standard apps though are very useful and nicely featured. So what if I don't have 12 different camera apps? I just used the one that suited me the best anyway. There's something to be said for choice - but the reason there is choice is because the built-in apps don't hit all of the tick-marks... and with the WebOS apps they do. I just need to carry around my 3G iPad to be sure that if I need to do remote admin work, I have an option there instead of my phone. I guess that's what HPalm was aiming for anyway - having the Veer be a companion device to a larger screened device.

My company had been an iOS shop, though with my experience with WebOS so far, that may be changing.

RootDude
    I've tried all the operating systems out there and WebOS defeats them all. It works for you all you have to do is type baby "Just Type!" It brings it to you, not you having to go to it. It's beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, music to our ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ya music to my ears too! I was shocked when my Treo 680 broke and my carrier had no other Palm smartphone available and tried out the iPhone 3G just because it was available and had a cheaper plan than my 680 at the time. When HP bought out palm I was a very happy man and have been checking the internet daily for Pre3 release news.

I really don't understand the debate about the amount of apps for iOS vs WebOS as for me it's always quality over quantity though i must admit I was surprised that my favourite Database app for my original palm Pilot "HandBase" was not interested in making a port for WebOS??? hope that changes soon !..also there is a note app for iOS called Mental Note that i would love see on WebOS as I need to be able to input text and pictures in one note and have the ability to sketch on the picture. These are really the two apps that I need and use and I'm sure that they will come to WebOS now that HP is bringing out quality products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziplock View Post
    WebOS 4 life
    webOS4 is out already????

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    lol, nice Holes reference!

THAT is my Evo experience right there. Its just to much of a utility phone that you have to tip-tap to do what you want. I to, found myself working hard to make it like WebOS.
    Ditto, went from pre minus to EVO. I don't hate this phone but it does annoy me. I'm itching to go back to WebOS hopefully with a Pre3 on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    ... and belt holsters look stupid).

The Pre3 is at the upper end of what I want to fit in my jeans.
    Regarding the first part of your statement I quoted above...Now hold on there pard'ner! Not ALL holsters look stupid...no need to get on'ry cause this town IS big enough fer the both of us...and for all three S, M, and L webOS devices...pilgrim.

As for the second part of the quote...did you mean...uh...were you saying...well...never mind!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I like the iPhone 4 and I was a long time hater of Apple products, but now I have iMac 27" MacBook Pro, iPad2 and the iPhone 4 and what I found is that Apple makes things very simple to use, there is no complexity with it.
    In this situation, is hard do "think out of the ecosystem"!

But I agree with you in this point:

HP needs phone that is a world phone to have world dominance.
    Excuse me my american and european friends, but the HP really have to spread the webOS to ROW...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Glad to hear you're joining the webOS train! I've had my Pre- since launch day and have been debating for about 6 months what I'm gonna do for a new phone. I bought a wifi Galaxy Tab when they were released because I like the form factor and thought I could try out Android in case the Pre3 didn't come to Sprint and I had to switch. The thing that I learned is that Android is just not a suitable replacement for me. I've used my parents iPad and know that iOS isn't for me either. I will now definitely go wherever the Pre3 goes carrier wise. Probably even going to sell my Galaxy Tab and get the 7" webOS tablet rumored for later in the year. I'm all in on webOS.

And I want to add my two cents to the many suggesting Preware. It really makes the experience so much better than it already is. You won't regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Regarding the first part of your statement I quoted above...Now hold on there pard'ner! Not ALL holsters look stupid...
    No, he is correct. ALL holsters look stupid. Period. Maybe nobody has been rude enough to tell you, but if you wear a cell phone in a belt holster and aren't working in construction then you look like a dork.

Much like hip packs and pocket protectors, cell phone holsters make you look like a dork.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder1999 View Post
    No, he is correct. ALL holsters look stupid. Period. Maybe nobody has been rude enough to tell you, but if you wear a cell phone in a belt holster and aren't working in construction then you look like a dork.

Much like hip packs and pocket protectors, cell phone holsters make you look like a dork.
    I disagree. I liked my Veja soft brown leather case and had many complements from other geeks... oh... wait... uh...

While holsters aren't super attractive they are not quite so bad as many other fashion nightmares and what constitutes a fashion nightmare varies. My wife insists at that sandals on any man are a no no - unless you are at the beach and then it's OK. Personally I have no problem with this as I am not a fan of sandals - but many of my friends (hip and not hip) love the dang things. Mind you she thinks women are fine in flip flops and the like only men are barred from this!
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder1999 View Post

Hmm.... fashion tips from someone who posts to a forum about his/her phone.

Full Disclosure: I wear a my Pre2 on my belt in this. Things that rank higher in importance to me than fashion:
    1. The American Idol results
    2. The Price of Tea in China
    3. Trying to think of things I care about more than fashion
    Twitter: dullgeek
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Hmm.... fashion tips from someone who posts to a forum about his/her phone.

Full Disclosure: I wear a my Pre2 on my belt in this. Things that rank higher in importance to me than fashion:
    1. The American Idol results
    2. The Price of Tea in China
    3. Trying to think of things I care about more than fashion
    Keeping a $500 phone safe.
    welcome to your new home!
    Sprint | Palm Franken Pre
    Holsters are a no-no. I keep my Pre in my man-purse.
    Quote Originally Posted by simonh View Post
    Ditto, went from pre minus to EVO. I don't hate this phone but it does annoy me. I'm itching to go back to WebOS hopefully with a Pre3 on Sprint.
    I know exactly how you feel.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    I went to see the veer today, it is amazing. rock solid hardware. screen is only a hair narrower and about a half inch shorter (same as the pixi as I understand). the slider is completely redesigned and is great.
    That's what some have said, but I disagree. The Veer's screen is as wide as the Pixi's but not as long.

I do agree, though, that this means little to no difference in text legibility - except in landscape mode.

Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    More and more I just use my phone for notifications, traffic, and quick look up of information while I am out. I think the veer would be great for this. I am seriously tempted to combine this with a tablet, especially if it was kind of like the transformer where it has a keyboard when necessary.

I might rarely use a pc with that combo.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    My wife insists at that sandals on any man are a no no - unless you are at the beach and then it's OK.
    Must be a cultural thing, over here sandals are fine on men so long as they don't wear socks with them and don't try to wear them with long trousers. Flip-flops are also ok but should be reserved for beaches and poolsides.

Holsters on the other hand are a big no-no. Any holster for anything period. The only exception being workmen who need to keep their hands free. Back in the 90s they were just about acceptable (though they invited derision even then) as phones got smaller their use dwindled and now you'll be hard pushed to find one for sale, let alone anyone wearing one.

Mind you, my Pre (and my Treos before that) fit comfortably in my trouser pockets so I don't see it as a big deal and I'll be trying to get a Pre 3 rather than a Veer.
    My father got a holster for his phone since he keeps putting it in the top pocket of his shirt. Every time he bends over it drops. Since he is a civil engineer being responsible for bridges and tunnels he stands in water a lot. He lost quite a few phones already.

A friend of mine used to have a holster as well and I hated that sight. Pure ugly. But well, he's one of those who binds pullovers around his waist when it gets too warm as well (a no go for sub-40s imho).

Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Must be a cultural thing, over here sandals are fine on men so long as they don't wear socks with them and don't try to wear them with long trousers. Flip-flops are also ok but should be reserved for beaches and poolsides.
    Unfortunately I have to tell you that it's a common prejudice in Germany that brits like to wear sandals with socks... I did not see anything like that yet here in Coventry, although I find this dandy look mighty strange.

Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Mind you, my Pre (and my Treos before that) fit comfortably in my trouser pockets so I don't see it as a big deal and I'll be trying to get a Pre 3 rather than a Veer.
    So you're not one of those with the skinny jeans, eh? Usually my pockets are big enough to get my Pre, a SE k610i and my Sansa Fuze in the same pocket xD But then it's filled to the brim and the Fuze sticks out a bit. Sitting is uncomfortable but I only listen to music on my Fuze when I'm walking so I don't mind.
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 05/25/2011 at 07:17 AM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast