Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Reading the reviews about Veer, I expected some negative feedback because to be honest there are disadvantages you can stick on. Most of the negativity surrounding the Veer has to do with its size (which then transfers to the magnetic thingy, the non-removable battery, no-flash, no 3.5mm jack etc).

The Pre3 will not have these problems. It will satisfy the reviewers' and customers' need for big screens and not have the disadvantages of the Veer. Also build quality seems to get better with each new model (Pre to Pre 2 to Pre 3). The OS should be more than OK, it's good in Pre 2 and it is good in Veer, and of the strong points of the Pre 3. If I can predict the cons they will probably be the camera (it won't be bad, but no so good) and the absence of apps. So IMHO Pre 3 will have a more positive feedback and probably truly be good phone (like the Pre 2).

The question is: Will this suffice? Can some good words and a friendly pat on the back by the reviewers improve the situation for webOS?
    Will more developers come to webOS ? Will webOS get a bigger market share just by one phone model?
    Or will the Pre 3, be yet another unsung hero like the Pre 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    It will satisfy the reviewers' and customers' need for big screens and not have the disadvantages of the Veer.
    Not for some people that want 4" or larger. Most of these individuals will ignore the fact that webOS takes advantage of its real estate beautifully. But still, it will probably still get complaints from people using Evo sized screens. Funny, I was an early smartphone adopter, and a lot of the people that used to make fun of me for my "huge phones" now have enormous smart phones.

Also build quality seems to get better with each new model (Pre to Pre 2 to Pre 3).
    Agreed. And it's a trend that must continue.

The question is: Will this suffice? Can some good words and a friendly pat on the back by the reviewers improve the situation for webOS?
    Will more developers come to webOS ? Will webOS get a bigger market share just by one phone model?
    Or will the Pre 3, be yet another unsung hero like the Pre 2?
    Probably the latter. I don't mean to hate, I do like webOS a lot, but there is a bit of a catch22 in being so far behind Android and Apple. Users don't want to give up their apps so they don't want to switch until there are more. Developers don't want to introduce the apps until there are more users. I think WP7 has the best chance of catching iPhoneDroid simply because of the massive amount of cash they have to throw at the project.

HP has lots of cash (not to Micro$oft levels, though), but I fear they will eventually give up and jump ship to Android, as some analysts have already suggested they do. Time will tell.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    HP has lots of cash (not to Micro$oft levels, though), but I fear they will eventually give up and jump ship to Android, as some analysts have already suggested they do. Time will tell.
    With Google tightening its grip around Android I don't think HP will give up a key differentiator so easily.

But yes, the Apps are some kind of doom loop, HP has to throw some money at the devs to get the Apps going, then the people will come as well.

However, I don't know if Apps are everything for everyone. For someone coming from Android or iOS Apps might be one key point, if you're new to the smartphone business not so much. Some studies claim most people barely use more than a one digit number of Apps. As long as the upmost important stuff is there, it should not be a problem. I find it laughable that people try to quantise the quality of the apps by the amount of apps available. But yes, there definitely are more quality apps available for iOS and Android, but I hope this gap decreases with multi-platform development tools. Then it's just a question if they think it's viable enough to send an App through testing (this ain't free).
    ESPECIALLY people coming from android/iphone and having some experience won't look for app numbers so much as certain apps themselves. Not having Shazam and Whatsapp is much worse than not having 100.000 no-name apps with 150 global users each.

HP have said they're looking to get the top30 (was it 30?) apps in every launch country by the time the TouchPad launches. Then again, HP have said many things and not pulled through on all of them...
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    With Google tightening its grip around Android I don't think HP will give up a key differentiator so easily.

But yes, the Apps are some kind of doom loop, HP has to throw some money at the devs to get the Apps going, then the people will come as well.

However, I don't know if Apps are everything for everyone. For someone coming from Android or iOS Apps might be one key point, if you're new to the smartphone business not so much. Some studies claim most people barely use more than a one digit number of Apps. As long as the upmost important stuff is there, it should not be a problem. I find it laughable that people try to quantise the quality of the apps by the amount of apps available. But yes, there definitely are more quality apps available for iOS and Android, but I hope this gap decreases with multi-platform development tools. Then it's just a question if they think it's viable enough to send an App through testing (this ain't free).
    I agree that having tons of apps isn't all that great in and of itself. But it creates a perception that you will be able to get what you want, to do what you want, with your phone, even if there are literally hundreds of thousands of useless apps for Android and iOS. It is marketing fodder, and marketing sells phones, at the end of the day.

And you too quickly discount current Android/iOS users when talking about new smart phone users. No matter how great webOS is, those new smart phone users will likely go to people they know that already have a smart phone to get information before buying their own. Market research has shown that this is true time and time again. Opinion leaders amongst early adopters are incredibly important in getting more customers later on. Even I have a hard time recommending webOS to people, and I love webOS. I always bring it up with my less technically inclined friends when they ask about phones or tablets, but they want a phone now, not down the road. And they want apps, lots of them. So then I have to steer them towards Android (because I can't in good conscious let them get an iPhone).

I firmly believe that webOS is the best operating system available on smart phones, and I am pretty influential with a lot of my friends when they are buying gadgets, and yet I have not been able to convince a single person to get a webOS phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    I firmly believe that webOS is the best operating system available on smart phones, and I am pretty influential with a lot of my friends when they are buying gadgets, and yet I have not been able to convince a single person to get a webOS phone.
    I was afraid to recommend original Pre to anyone.

Now, with better build quality, I would try to recommend it for top management if HP carry it in my country. I see Pre3 as better solution than BB (You would be surprised to see how badly BB's are build and how frequently they froze. Their metallic coating is tearing after only few months of use. Some of managers have glued battery covers because they falling of phones). Pre3 is great phone to enforce your stuff to carry it.
    But, IMO, Pre3 with webOS limitations (yes, for me WebOS is limited and featureless) could only compete with WP7 (another limited and poor OS) and BB. IOS and Android are still far ahead of WebOS and not because some irrelevant hardware superiority.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Not sure at this point. An MS. SharePoint-loving friend of mine raves about the BB's "security." If there is such a thing, then I suggest that hp match the BB's 256-bit encryption for corporate e-mail. With that type of encryption, I believe webOS devices would be able to compete with the BB in the enterprise.
    i think its all about the apps and big name developer support. im not talking about 10,000 apps, im talking about most common apps and games that are in the fad. messaging such as yahoo aim,....., facebook, twitter, opera mobile, skype, qik or whatever is in style. users shouldnt need to learn about preware and install common apps that other phones can easily get.
    what good is the front cam if you can only use it with other webos phones, flash..., other web browser options...
    big name devs and app suport will be key to sucess in attracting customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    i think its all about the apps and big name developer support. im not talking about 10,000 apps, im talking about most common apps and games that are in the fad. messaging such as yahoo aim,....., facebook, twitter, opera mobile, skype, qik or whatever is in style. users shouldnt need to learn about preware and install common apps that other phones can easily get.
    what good is the front cam if you can only use it with other webos phones, flash..., other web browser options...
    big name devs and app suport will be key to sucess in attracting customers.
    Yes, they need the names. They have some, but they need more. Much, much more.

HP should helps with this... I hope.

If they have the names, then the others will come, albeit rather slowly. Look at WP7. They have the big names, and now they're app ecosystem is improving somewhat quickly.
    I think the Pre3 will be enough. I don't think webOS is ever going to catch Android/Apple. That doesn't mean that it won't be a successful mobile platform.
    It will be a success (relatively to realistic expectations) if and only if is priced aggressively, the Veer should been cheaper (an iPod Touch 4G is 220 dollars...), around 300 off-contract (the Veer wasn't a good idea to begin with, but whatever), as close to free as possible on contract (hope the best buy deal is publicited enough). The Pre 3 should do the same, hardware wise it doesn't have any advantage over current Android smartphones, and has less brand recognition, it really has to be priced aggressively both on and off contract.
    If it comes to Sprint or unlocked I'm buying it. Can't stand the other OS's out there and there's already just about every useful app I need so I'm not worried about that part at all.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

There are many "ifs" involved in the question, the main one being if the Pre 3 is launched on Sprint as well as the other carriers. With such a strong group of webOS users on Sprint who are waiting to finally have the webOS device they can fully promote, HP's success hinges on the ability to make the faithful happy. IMHO
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    i dont think myself that hp success is hinged on making the faithful happy, i thiink its going to have to be flooding the market with a bunch of new webos phone. i think they should take the htc approach.

i know we can look at apples sucess with the just the iphone but i think that revolutionary phase of the smartphone is kind of done for now.
    the slab phone i am guessing will be the monster set to release around the holiday season, which will give anyone a wide array of smartphones to buy along with the tablet.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Although I'm holding out for the Pre3 on Sprint, I went to an AT&T store today to check out the Veer. It is small, but didn't elicit the gasp of surprise I was expecting. However, (and the reason for this post), the keyboard, small as it is, was REALLY good, even for being so small. Nice click feel gave great feedback on keystrokes. It immediately created confidence in keying on it. I was very encouraged, as I'm expecting similar quality on the 3.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Pre 3 is good enough. It would be nice if it had a dual core cpu but doesn't really need it. 4G is what I need the most. After using the EVO for a good few months I really need the 4G for hotspot.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    Pre 3 is good enough. It would be nice if it had a dual core cpu but doesn't really need it. 4G is what I need the most. After using the EVO for a good few months I really need the 4G for hotspot.
    Then...for you at least, it's not good enough.
    Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    WebOS is in a path-dependent death spiral. I started with WebOS, used it, hated the hardware, loved the OS. Phone died. No upgrade on the market, went to Android. Now, I've bought apps, grown to love Android, can't imagine life without certain apps. Tasker, for example. I wouldn't switch to iOS or WebOS simply because of Tasker. WebOS has no equivalent app.

Once a consumer is invested in an ecosystem it's going to be really hard to get them out of it, and WebOS missed the consumer explosion. 50% of the American market will probably never leave Android simply because that's the OS they use now. I'd love to switch back to Windows and stop paying the Apple tax on my laptop, but I've invested too much in OS X to dream of switching back.
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Tasker, for example. I wouldn't switch to iOS or WebOS simply because of Tasker. WebOS has no equivalent app.
    Mode Switcher, and it's better than Tasker. Do your research or no one will take you seriously, just view you as ignorant.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast