Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Mode Switcher, and it's better than Tasker. Do your research or no one will take you seriously, just view you as ignorant.
    You'll have to forgive me for checking out of a dead ecosystem a long time ago.
    I think the Pre3 is a good first step, but HP needs to keep the supply chain of new models, for all carriers, coming at regular intervals.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    You'll have to forgive me for checking out of a dead ecosystem a long time ago.
    It's your choice of course, but when you compare two things you should always know the facts if you want to be taken seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by BradE View Post
    I think the Pre3 is a good first step, but HP needs to keep the supply chain of new models, for all carriers, coming at regular intervals.
    This. The Pre3 is exactly what I want (well, form factor wise, I might not want something that large as I liked the small size of my Pre-, but I can't say no), but they need more models and to release quicker and broader if they want to compete.
    I think the most notable complaints about the Pre 3 will be:

1. Not 4G
    Likely to be a large complaint from Sprint users. Everyone on Sprint will be paying
    the additional $10 data charge. Since this was originally only for 4G devices, users
    may be a bit put-off paying it for a brand new 3G device.

2. Camera could probably be better
    This really shouldn't be a major complaint, but users could be a bit envious of the
    better cameras that are on other phones.

3. Battery life
    We don't know what the battery life will be until people get the device and use it for
    a while, but I suspect it may not be great. The original Pre's battery life was
    terrible. Although the Pre3 has a larger battery, the processor and larger screen will
    likely consume more of the battery. The Pre3 battery isn't all that large, so this could
    result in a disappointing battery life.

4. Lack of apps
    This obviously gets brought up over and over but really isn't directly related to the
    device itself. App selection will improve over time and users will become more
    satisfied. I think the app complaint is a bit of a weak one. There is a strong
    homebrew community and a decent number of quality apps through the app store. I
    think people should really consider whether they need to search through hundreds of
    thousands of applications to find what they want. If there are only 10,000 apps, but
    the core apps you want are included in those 10,000, you really don't need a million
    more. I haven't installed any apps for a very long time for my Pre-. I found the apps I
    need (almost all through homebrew) and don't download "fluff" apps. I don't need 6,000
    soundboard apps or the choice of 37 different flashlight apps. The application selection
    will improve, until then, we have the essentials and more.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Battery life doesnt have to be lousy, the processor seem way more efficient than the Cortex A8 (iPhone), some Qualcomm slides indicate up to 50-75% less power at the same clock speeds.
    Last edited by Andreas; 05/16/2011 at 12:54 PM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    You should remember that all the designs that we have seen from HP-Palm are over a year old. They were all presented to HP when HP bought Palm. Some of the "other form factors" where are in the pipeline at that time. We still haven't seen those yet, except for the blurry cam of the slab.

I'm starting to lean toward waiting for the next webOS device. I'm even getting tired of a vertical slider. Maybe I'll go for the Palm monster slab (with no keyboard) when it comes out. By then 2.x and 3.x should be more mature and we can see if HP can market and attract developers.

On the down side, waiting will leave me with an abandoned version of webOS.

Some things to ponder.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    It's what I want, Sprint. Concerning relevant apps, see http://m.forums.precentral.net/webos...-ten-apps.html, and compare those apps to the top ten apps of other major phone op systems. How many apps does a smartphone user use on adaily basis?
    The Pre 3 seems to offer good: media consumption features, noise reduction technology, refined evolutionary hardware design, competitive business features, modern software framework, long term comittment by Hp. It seems to be a practicle smart phone designed for moderate media consumption, and streamlined efficient communication.
    WebOS has a very active enthusiast community, with well organized homebrew programmers, and tweekers.
    All I need are a few choice apps. I do mean a few. Other than that, apps is NOT a deal breaker for me at all. Android could have a Jessica Alba app that brings her to visit and I'd still not be all about the apps.

It's great that iOS and Android have a huge variety of choices. My choice is still based on the integration of a really good OS and nice hw. Doesn't need to be a quad core, 4GB RAM, 4 dimensional gimmick that transforms into a robot. Lol

Give me HTC-type hw with a fine tuned version of WebOS and I'm handing over my money. It's really burning a hole in my pocket!

My main concern is the functionality from 1.4.5 to 2.x.x. The latter seems to be breaking some of the good things about the former. Pros and cons I guess.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I'm excited about the Pre3. I've been hanging on to my pre minus for nearly two years, waiting for hp/palm to get their game together and release a good piece of WebOS hardware on sprint. It frustrated me that when WebOS was released the hardware was just not up to par. The Pre3 should clear up most of the major issues which have plagued my pre-, build quality being the biggest issue. I am concerned about the battery life of the Pre3, but other than that I'm optimistic.

As for the Apps, I personally think the ridiculous number of apps android and iOS have is overrated.

I think it is important for HP to release the Pre3 on Sprint. I know I'm willing to jump from sprint to a carrier with the pre3, but a lot of folks aren't. We "the faithful" are willing to be representatives of WebOS, but I know for me right now it's hard to brag to friends about WebOS because my phone is old, and frankly, a piece of junk. When the Palm Pre was first released I could look past the hardware. I loved the phone and let everyone know it. I managed to get all three of my siblings and my best friend on board, and currently we all have some sort of WebOS phone. But that was a long while back. I still think the OS is amazing, but at this point the hardware is nearly impossible to look past. When I finally get a webOS phone with good hardware specs and a quality build there's no doubt I'll be showing it off, heralding my HP phone as the best thing since sliced bread, and I'm sure I won't be the only one. HP will will retain a lot more of these walking/talking advertisements for their phones IF they release the Pre3 on Sprint.

And that's all I've got to say about that.
    I have been using my Sprint Pre now for almost 2 years and it is still a great tool for work. I use it for calling, texting, email and surfing the web, it still does everything that I need from a smartphone. The Pre 3 will be plenty good enough for me with it's faster processor and larger screen. What amazes me in this forum is how people make claims about its battery life being poor and the phone has not even been released yet, lol.....

As far as apps go, yeah webOS is down on apps but with HP reaching in to enterprise with phones and pads, I feel we won't be having this discussion about apps a year from now.

As far as 4G goes, plain and simple it is a battery hog, so it is not very practical in the field until they figure something out to extend battery life while using it.

5 mp camera is more than fine for a phone. Joe Public is so ill informed about digital photography, they have been brain washed into thinking that cramming more megapixels into a small sensor makes for better quaility pictures when in fact it is the lens, processing software and the size of the sensor that has more to do with quality of the photos. Even a cheap 100 dollar digital camera can run circles around even the best phone cameras.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post

1. Not 4G
    Likely to be a large complaint from Sprint users. Everyone on Sprint will be paying
    the additional $10 data charge. Since this was originally only for 4G devices, users

This really shouldn't be a major complaint, but users could be a bit envious of the

3. Battery life
    We don't know what the battery life will be until people get the device and use it for
    terrible. Although the Pre3 has a larger battery, the processor and larger screen will
    likely consume more of the battery. The Pre3 battery isn't all that large, so this could

4. Lack of apps
    This obviously gets brought up over and over but really isn't directly related to the
    think people should really consider whether they need to search through hundreds of
    thousands of applications to find what they want. If there are only 10,000 apps, but
    the core apps you want are included in those 10,000, you really don't need a million
    more. I haven't installed any apps for a very long time for my Pre-. I found the apps I
    need (almost all through homebrew) and don't download "fluff" apps. I don't need 6,000
    soundboard apps or the choice of 37 different flashlight apps. The application selection
    I'm not a Sprint user, though if I were I'd probably have to be even more patient and wait for that rumored slab that's supposedly exclusive to Sprint.

I thought the Pre3's camera, which can shoot 720p video, is expected to be very competitive with what's out there. The only thing I hope hp can add before the device's release is digital zoom.

To me, the most important thing is that the battery be removable and replaceable by the user. In the meantime, Touchstones everywhere!

When it comes to apps, I believe in quality, not quantity. If hp can use their partners and contacts in various industries, then the TouchPad (along with the phones) can make inroads in the enterprise. I suppose then the goal would be for developers to make the webOS platform a higher priority than, say, Android.

Overall, I'm excited at the idea of the Pre3 being released within a month. Hopefully by then, one can say that "it is enough."
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    eh,, i think its mostly people nit picking. most people care about apps, HP needs the top 30-35 apps working in webos.... once they got that rolling then web os will have more advantages then not. espcially since they are letting developers get access to so many apis
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I think the Pre 3 looks great. Frankly, I want a smart phone that emulates a PC environment well (ie a live view of what you're working on/with) and WebOS 2.0 + more screen real estate is perfect.
    My favorite thing was playing Card Ace with my iPhone buddys and interrupting their games with text messages (since it was just a swipe away from switching applications).
    I am only on my second Pre (only, ha) but I do believe the upgrade will be well worth the wait, simply because of this kick *** OS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Enough for what? To keep webOS users? I don't think so. Here, yes, folks are hardcore enthusiasts (though, I'm probably switching to Android for this next round). But every Pre owner I know has jumped ship to android. Ok, there's about 4 of them IRL... but I'm the only one who even remotely feels HP still has a chance if they can execute.

I do think they still have "enough" to attract new smartphone users. It's, bar none, the best mobile OS out there. But that isn't enough. They have to market well, market smart, and keep the dev team working hard at getting support.

I'm still partially convinced HP will aim heavy at the enterprise for these phones. And the effort into the consumer space will more be the tablet and whatever comes next that is HP designed.

And don't discount the lack of apps as "there's a bunch of junk on android/iOS." There certainly is, but there's also useful stuff. Netflix, Kindle, some specific photography related stuff for me, store apps (not useful to me, but ppl love their shopping...)...

There's other useful things too like QR codes, voice related apps (speech to text, voice notes.. things I would love to have right now), etc... all limited by the hardware of what's out there now. Hopefully the Pre3 will spark a wave of these apps.

What Palm does have right, they need to push. Music (remix), Carbon, Facebook (it's really nice when it worked)... show it off Palm. Oh, and that ringer switch. This needs to be standard on every phone out there, I don't understand why it isn't =) And swipe to delete. Swipe to do anything.
    Last edited by linh.nguyen; 05/16/2011 at 09:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I am a current Android user but plan on getting a new phone in the next few months, Debating between the Evo 3D or the Pre 3 and leaning towards the Pre 3 because of my short time the original Pre which was amazing except for the build quality.

One of my biggest concerns is apps. When I started with Android it was still pretty new but I have grown accustomed to a lot of very particular apps. I know I plan on looking for apps that can perform a similar function on the Pre before I switch. Things like Tweetdeck, ESPN scorecenter, Amazon Kindle. Google Docs, dropbox and a few others are big ones. Again haven't taken the time to find replacements but it is a concern.

If there is any reason I don't switch, it will because of apps.
    I agree that apps is the major weakness right now.

By apps, I mean the stock apps that ship with WebOs. The maps app is just inadequate, I would love if there is a maps app like Android has with local caching, etc.

Also, it is incredibly frustrating to be served up with only a small fraction of Youtube videos since ads are not supported. Most music videos are out, as well as high viewed partner videos.

The Camera app could also do with some optimization. It is dead slow and often takes 10+ secs to become usable (this is with geo-tagging off).

As for Email, it is pretty darn good right now, but I would like threaded messages in the future.
    /suggestions

Having said all of that, I still prefer using WebOs as it is now (2.1 on Pre-), than any other phone.
    The only problem I'm going to have with upgrading is this: My Pre 2 is working so well that I'm not sure that I would pay much to upgrade! The only significant upgrade I see is a camera facing the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    The only problem I'm going to have with upgrading is this: My Pre 2 is working so well that I'm not sure that I would pay much to upgrade! The only significant upgrade I see is a camera facing the screen.
    I think you're a little out of date, you should try a phone with a higher resolution bigger screen, it's a world difference! The Pre 3 isn't the biggest, I'm sure it won't feel in the pocket like the Dell Venue Pro or alikes, it seems like a pretty well balanced device.
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post

1. Not 4G

3. Battery life

4. Lack of apps
    These are more WebOS issues than Pre3 issues, but if they are not fixed before launch you can add:

5. Threaded conversations in the email client.

6. Fully operational .pdf viewing.

7. document editing.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast