1.    #1  
    This is when my current contract is up with Verizon. Currently I am using the Pre 2 that I got as a free replacement because of the wonky GPS in the Pre Plus. I got this just a couple of months ago and it will likely still be in great shape in December. With the Pre 3 coming out this summer, I assume by December, the price will have fallen a good bit and most glitches/bugs will be known (and perhaps remedied by updates). Are there any rumors that HP could release something in the Spring/Summer of 2012? I don't wanna get the Pre 3 in December, only to have it rendered obsolete by another WebOS device a few months later. Or, since I love not having a contract, I may just ride the Pre 2 til it falls apart...it suits all my needs just fine anyway (apart from the not-quite-fully-functional GPS). I guess I'm mostly curious if, after the Pre 3 release, we won't hear much from HP for a good while.

Never too soon to start planning.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    There's a rumor a slab device could be released this fall. Regardless, you have plenty of time to see what's out there before you have to make a decision. I think you'll be fine.
    Hopefully, hardware releases won't be as few and far between as we have grown accustomed to. Less need to plan so far in advance.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You know, I was wondering the same thing about that particular week - that's why I opened this thread.

I'm planning on bundling up real warm-like and going out to do some Christmas shopping for my new girlfriend who I will have started dating in October who happens to be a model who I noticed mostly had skimpy warm-weather outfits to wear. After buying all of those leather boots and jackets I'll probably end up downgrading to a feature phone to pay for it all.
    An acceptable trade-off....
    I believe at one point in time they said once they got production going there would be new devices every couple of months (of course I can't find a reference to that now).

The slab is rumored (Stingray), but from what I've read it sounds like that is just a keyboardless Pre3 type device, not necessarily a "step up" from it.

I think a lot of it depends upon the success of the Pre3 and the TouchPad. If they are successful, I think a new device above the Pre3 next summer would be a good bet. If they get a luke warm reception and market share doesn't increase as rapidly as HP would like to see it is anyone's bet as to what would happen in the future.
    I'm in the same boat except my contract went up last month! I don't know if I should just go for a pre 2 or what... I don't think my old Curve can last until the Pre 3 comes out. Headphone cable popping and losing connection makes my ears hurt in my car.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I believe at one point in time they said once they got production going there would be new devices every couple of months (of course I can't find a reference to that now).
    Phil McKinney said as much during this speech at the NYC Dev Day last year.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    According to familyradio.com, the world is supposed to end in five days anyway...so much for me getting a Pre 3!
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    Hopefully, hardware releases won't be as few and far between as we have grown accustomed to. Less need to plan so far in advance.
    me too! That's such a coincidence!
    The word we have is "one device every two months or so" and "six devices in 2011". With Veer, Pre3, TouchPad, 'Opal' (codename for the 7" TouchPad) and 'Stingray' (rumored codename for the slab) out in the open or the shall we call it relatively open, there's still one device we have no idea about.

Also let's not forget that HP trademarked Veer, Gyst and Myte in one fell swoop late last fall... So we might in fact already know what the other two devices (phones if we assume that TouchPad will remain the brand name for webOS tabs) will be called. They might, of course, only be the three names initially thought up by the HP marketing dept for what we now know to be tinyphone.