Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 83
  1. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
       #1  
    I really like the Pre phone. WebOS simply rules out there any software.
    But then you look at phones released recently and you start asking yourself: "What do I do?"

    So far my plan is to wait for the new Pre3 and replace my Pre2 with it, while also getting the tablet.
    Today I looked at Bell site to see what new phones they got. There is the HTC Incredible S that made me go wow, when I saw the specs:
    Connectivity
    Compatible with the 4G (HSPA ) network
    HSPA 850/1900/2100
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
    Global access
    Up to 14.4 Mbps download speed
    Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
    Mobile hotspot (connect up to 8 devices)
    DLNA (home media streaming)
    GPS
    Bluetooth 2.1
    Micro USB connector

    Operating system
    Powered by Android™
    HTC Sense

    Messaging
    Personal and business email
    Instant messaging
    Text, picture and video messaging

    Web browsing
    HTML browser
    Adobe Flash 10.1

    Multimedia
    8 megapixel rear-facing camera
    1.3 megapixel front-facing camera
    Dual-LED flash
    HD video capture (720p)
    Media player
    Supported audio formats:
    AAC, AMR, OGG, M4A, MID, MP3, WAV, WMA
    Supported video formats:
    3GP, 3G2, MP4, WMV

    Services
    TV and Radio
    Remote PVR
    GPS Navigator
    Self serve
    Zoompass mobile payments
    HD games: UNO, Asphalt 4, Let's Golf

    Productivity
    Calendar
    Calculator
    Contacts
    Clock
    Alarm

    Physical attributes
    Display: 4.0" Super LCD touchscreen
    AMR-WB (HD Voice)
    Screen resolution: 480 x 800 pixels
    Internal memory: 1.1 GB
    Expandable memory: up to 32 GB with a microSD card
    RAM: 768 MB
    Talk time: up to 6.3 hours
    Standby time: up to 15.4 days
    Size: 120 x 64 x 11.7 mm
    Weight: 135.5 g

    Accessibility
    Language support: English, French, Spanish, Chinese (Traditional)
    Voice recognizer
    Text-to-speech support (TTS)
    TTY/TDD
    Speakerphone

    Box contents
    HTC Incredible S™ 4G smartphone
    Standard battery
    USB cable
    Power adapter
    8 GB microSD card
    Earphones
    SIM card
    Quick Start guide
    Safety & Regulatory guide
    Legal guide
    Warranty card
    HTC End User License Agreement (EULA)
    Compared to Pre3, HTC Incredible looks like a monster.
    I really don't know what to do anymore. As mush as I like Pre3, HTC has killer features compared to it.

    Let me know you thoughts on that.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  2. #2  
    Screen res is the same, pixel density on Pre 3 is higher
    RAM is higher because Android needs it
    Internal memory is low, memory cards is nice but slower, especially random access speeds
    Pre 3 has flash and browser, and calendar contacts etc etc
    Pre 3 will be getting thousands and thousands of great apps in next year
    Pre 3 already has many super apps comparable to android
    Pre 3 will have mobile hotspot, media streaming, bluetooth 2.1, gps, micro usb connector, etc etc
    Pre 3 has business and personal email, text messaging, instant messaging, picture messaging, video calls etc etc
    8mp vs 8mp camera..
    HTC has dual core @ 1.0ghz
    Pre 3 has single core @ 1.4ghz... I'll say dual core is nice but 1.4 on a core is also better in *most* applications..

    Only thing I would really want would be LTE

    ..but WebOS >>>>>>>>>>> Android, so..

    I don't really see how you say it has 'killer features compared to it'
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  3. #3  
    As I've said numerous times, you should be comparing experiences, not specifications. They don't always go hand-in-hand.
  4. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #4  
    Out of all the new android beast phones, you chose the Incredible to compare the Pre 3 to?
    Not something with a better resolution, a gig of RAM, 16gb/32gb internal storage, 1080p HD video, etc?

    If anything, look at the Samsung Galaxy S II or one of the new androids with qHD screen resolutions (Atrix 4G?) and then complain about the Pre 3.
    But if you're comparing it to the Incredible then the Pre 3 doesn't look that bad.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  5. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    As I've said numerous times, you should be comparing experiences, not specifications. They don't always go hand-in-hand.
    I think Steve Jobs said something similar as well.
  6. #6  
    I don't get why people who need absolutely the highest numbers that are out at each successive second (and obviously don't care about user experience) are here in the first place. Don't get it. Never gonna get it. In fact just ignore me. Bye "Pre3 specs, not so hot" thread.
  7. #7  
    Android proves it best... not even the fastest processors on the market can make an OS perform well. The Pre3's specs will be GREAT for webOS... because webOS itself is great.
  8. #8  
    I too think the specs are probably fine for WebOS. It will be very fast I'm sure. I'm not sure what a phone really needs a dual core CPU for anyway but maybe that's just me getting grandpa-tendencies.

    To me the whole combo thing is starting to get appealing. I'm kind of torn between getting a Pre 3 because it will work so nicely with the TouchPad but I'm also interested in the BlackBerry Bold Touch because it works nice with the PlayBook which is more pocketable than the TouchPad.

    It's going to be a close call for me between these two devices. Probably going to depend on real-world reviews as well.

    After having had two Pre's (both me and my wife) that just kept falling apart I'm also mildly skeptical about the hardware. I really do hope the Pre 3 has better lasting build quality. Time will tell I guess.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  9. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #9  
    I am getting annoyed at explaining the dual core Vs single core thing.

    Folks , Please read more , Here and Here

    I wish precentral editors write a detailed article and Shut everybody's mouth.
  10. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #10  
    The whole point is 1.4 will kill any dual core in the market ( not guaranteed on future dual cores). So all of you doubters chill out and relax. Regarding the camera , take a break , the phone cameras are not from Canon or Nikon. There is not much of a difference between a 5 MP and 8 MP. Again whoever complains about low mega pixel needs to educate better. Its not the mega pixel its the other important things that help you take a great photograph. Read here
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I think Steve Jobs said something similar as well.
    Yeah, and he's bathing in money, so...

    ... I don't get your point.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Screen res is the same, pixel density on Pre 3 is higher
    RAM is higher because Android needs it
    Internal memory is low, memory cards is nice but slower, especially random access speeds
    Pre 3 has flash and browser, and calendar contacts etc etc
    Pre 3 will be getting thousands and thousands of great apps in next year
    Pre 3 already has many super apps comparable to android
    Pre 3 will have mobile hotspot, media streaming, bluetooth 2.1, gps, micro usb connector, etc etc
    Pre 3 has business and personal email, text messaging, instant messaging, picture messaging, video calls etc etc
    8mp vs 8mp camera..
    HTC has dual core @ 1.0ghz
    Pre 3 has single core @ 1.4ghz... I'll say dual core is nice but 1.4 on a core is also better in *most* applications..

    Only thing I would really want would be LTE

    ..but WebOS >>>>>>>>>>> Android, so..

    I don't really see how you say it has 'killer features compared to it'
    You left a few things either accidentally or selectively...

    Multimedia
    snip...
    1.3 megapixel front-facing camera
    Dual-LED flash

    Services
    TV and Radio
    Remote PVR
    GPS Navigator
    Self serve
    Zoompass mobile payments

    Is it known whether the Pre 3 will have the above? And what is Self Serve?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Screen res is the same, pixel density on Pre 3 is higher
    RAM is higher because Android needs it
    Internal memory is low, memory cards is nice but slower, especially random access speeds
    Pre 3 has flash and browser, and calendar contacts etc etc
    Pre 3 will be getting thousands and thousands of great apps in next year
    Pre 3 already has many super apps comparable to android
    Pre 3 will have mobile hotspot, media streaming, bluetooth 2.1, gps, micro usb connector, etc etc
    Pre 3 has business and personal email, text messaging, instant messaging, picture messaging, video calls etc etc
    8mp vs 8mp camera..
    HTC has dual core @ 1.0ghz
    Pre 3 has single core @ 1.4ghz... I'll say dual core is nice but 1.4 on a core is also better in *most* applications..

    Only thing I would really want would be LTE

    ..but WebOS >>>>>>>>>>> Android, so..

    I don't really see how you say it has 'killer features compared to it'
    The CPU in the DInc S is actually just single core, so there's that. Also, you're absolutely right about the dual-core thing being great, but Android's own apps aren't optimized for the newer CPUs.

    Anyways, I'm actually still impressed with the 1.4 GHz speed; the only product to beat that yet is HTC's Flyer tablet, at 1.5 GHz. I'll be impressed if they can keep it fast and have the battery life be great.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    The whole point is 1.4 will kill any dual core in the market ( not guaranteed on future dual cores). So all of you doubters chill out and relax. Regarding the camera , take a break , the phone cameras are not from Canon or Nikon. There is not much of a difference between a 5 MP and 8 MP. Again whoever complains about low mega pixel needs to educate better. Its not the mega pixel its the other important things that help you take a great photograph. Read here
    Does the public care about education in regard to phones? If Joe Smoe sees 5mp vs 8mp, will he/she know there is no real difference in picture quality? If they see dual core vs single core, will they know which performs better? For that matter will the people selling the devices to the public even know?

    Sometimes perception is greater than fact, thus the success of IOS.

    Real life example, the iPad is not the best specked tablet out there, yet it's wiping the floor compared to the others.
  15. aapold's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    #15  
    We know it will work well. But the general public will compare the two specs and conclude the other blows it away. And that matters because the market for android continues to grow exponentially while ours remains a relative backwater.

    I really wish HP had allowed other manufacturers to make webOS devices so that we'd get various other companies worrying about topping each other spec-wise while we worried about the OS. As it stands even WP7 devices spec-wise make ours look dated.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Screen res is the same, pixel density on Pre 3 is higher
    RAM is higher because Android needs it
    Internal memory is low, memory cards is nice but slower, especially random access speeds
    Pre 3 has flash and browser, and calendar contacts etc etc
    Pre 3 will be getting thousands and thousands of great apps in next year
    Pre 3 already has many super apps comparable to android
    Pre 3 will have mobile hotspot, media streaming, bluetooth 2.1, gps, micro usb connector, etc etc
    Pre 3 has business and personal email, text messaging, instant messaging, picture messaging, video calls etc etc
    8mp vs 8mp camera..
    HTC has dual core @ 1.0ghz
    Pre 3 has single core @ 1.4ghz... I'll say dual core is nice but 1.4 on a core is also better in *most* applications..

    Only thing I would really want would be LTE

    ..but WebOS >>>>>>>>>>> Android, so..

    I don't really see how you say it has 'killer features compared to it'
    Pre 3 will be getting thousands and thousands of new great apps in the next year. You said that as fact, where is your info on that, lol what you"hope" and what is fact are 2 different things.


    EVO-LUTION 3D
  17. #17  
    Do you know why Samsung and HTC have custom UIs? In today's smartphone market you need to differentiate yourself from the crowd. Licensing the OS might've worked when the market was small and the margins high. Now you have to sell lots of devices. Owning the OS of your device helps a lot.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Do you know why Samsung and HTC have custom UIs? In today's smartphone market you need to differentiate yourself from the crowd. Licensing the OS might've worked when the market was small and the margins high. Now you have to sell lots of devices. Owning the OS of your device helps a lot.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    That, and WP7 is the only traditionally-licensed OS out. And, in case you haven't noticed, it's not skyrocketing anywhere. Google has basically plugged the licensing OS hole with Android, because it's free. How do you compete with free and make money? Why wouldn't an OEM pick something that they can meld and sell app spots for?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I am getting annoyed at explaining the dual core Vs single core thing.

    Folks , Please read more , Here and Here

    I wish precentral editors write a detailed article and Shut everybody's mouth.
    I agree. You should suggest that as a news tip.

    equally frustrating is to have never seen or touched the Pre3 but still know that it won't measure up.

    having the chance to play with it at the Feb launch, and I'm here to tell the nay sayers that the Pre3 was butter smooth and effortless. And that was alpha code that was no where close to optimized or bug free.

    for anyone that is concerned, the pre3 rox0rz hard, and it will blow you away.
  20. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
       #20  
    Thanks guys for the good points, I feel better now.

    P.S. What's up with the stupid 1 star rating? Whoever voted this 1 is retarded because the info posted in this thread is great.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions