Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    hmmmaybe but i think apple proves you don't have to have the highest-end specs to have a better selling product. quality of software and overall ux is also - if not more - important.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    hmmmaybe but i think apple proves you don't have to have the highest-end specs to have a better selling product. quality of software and overall ux is also - if not more - important.
    It's not same as Apple product. Everyone knows how to use iPhone. My mom knows how to use it. My 3 years old daughter knows how to use it. If you ask 10 random people on the street, I'll bet good majority of those people knows iOS. And every major malls in US has Apple store. They can just walk in and play with iPhone, iTouch or iPad for hours.

webOS is different. Nobody knows. Even you walk into Sprint store, there's no actually working handset, atleast the one near my place. And if you go to Verizon store, they don't even have Pre 2 in the store, again one near my place. Most likely average Joe will look at the price and spec and friends and what salesman convinced them in the store.
    I have a walmart calculator with a few transistors
    I also have a dual core 3.45ghz cpu

I can find the answer to 386 * 34576 a hundred times faster on my walmart calculator

probably not the best comparison, but it gets the point across that you don't always NEED more processing power / cores etc.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

certainly true, but it hasn't been this way since the dawn of time, the iphone's success is not based on superior specs, in fact every generation of iphones and ipads has been trashed for the seemingly inferior specs. of course it's hard nowadays to compete against ios in mindshare - all i'm saying is specs are not the only battlefield.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You left a few things either accidentally or selectively...

Multimedia
    snip...
    1.3 megapixel front-facing camera
    Dual-LED flash

Services
    TV and Radio
    Remote PVR
    GPS Navigator
    Self serve
    Zoompass mobile payments

Is it known whether the Pre 3 will have the above? And what is Self Serve?
    The only feature that is HOT for android phones is their Navigation system.. for the rest I really don't care. But from what other users posted in this thread, I'm sticking with Pre3.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    certainly true, but it hasn't been this way since the dawn of time, the iphone's success is not based on superior specs, in fact every generation of iphones and ipads has been trashed for the seemingly inferior specs. of course it's hard nowadays to compete against ios in mindshare - all i'm saying is specs are not the only battlefield.
    Trashed? I do not agreed. Remember when iPhone 4 came out? It was the top notch smartphone in terms of spec. Even this day, it has the highest resolution. iPad 1, well, there was no other tablet out there, so win by default. iPad 2, whatever the tablet out there at that time, iPad was on the top.

Remember, their device last whole year. And they made it high enough to make it desirable thru out the whole year cycle.

Definately not trash.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Problem is that these are consumer product. If they don't research or spend hours in one of the webos website. They go to the store and only thing that do is to look at the spec. I've been to sprint store, they don't even have real phone displayed. Only thing it drives them to buy new smartphone is to look at the spec and what salesman told them and their friends or coworkers are using.

I work in NYC, how many times do you think I actually ran into someone using webOS phone? maybe once or twice. How many co workers and friends using webOS? ZERO.

I understand the spec doesn't mean much when it comes to user experience but at 3% marketshare, HP has to put out the best spec out there to increase the public awareness. Otherwise, it will only stay at 3%.
    I have to disagree, somewhat. The best spec doesn't sell the best nor is it needed. Would it help, probably. The only spec that I could see as selling well to the average consumer is the camera and the amount pixels (which doesn't really make a difference to those of us that know megapixels doesn't equate to the very best). You are correct about average consumers and the affect that salesmen have on them.

A combination of specs (again, just needs to compete, not be a super beast that will die in 4hours because of the specs), User experience and marketing it by simply running ads that shows what it can do is what sells (no need for explosions, robots or middle earth creepy ladies). This includes Apple (even though they have their huge following). Apple could probably put out an iToilet and it would sell. Everyone can use an iPhone because of its simplicity and the fact that their iPod Touches are identical to what their phone is. They get two birds with one touch (pun intended). Apple also has the coolness factor.

Someone will always have a better spec'd out phone. Android has flooded the market with a decent free OS and that's why it sells. Flooding the market attracted devs and it just became a domino effect. It's very difficult to compete with free. Android isn't doing well because it's a great OS. It's doing well because of the wide spread availability. It has pushed out the other operating systems. RIM is definitely lost. WebOS is still playing catchup (and they're way behind and will stay at 3% for quite some time). iOS is the only other real player and they don't have the best spec'd out phone available.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    By the time you are able to purchase your phone it will never be spec'd higher than every other phone out and/or announced/leaked.
    I don't look at the specs "First" before buying a phone. And most people do not look at it either. If the Pre3 gets outdated so be it.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    HP made a good decision going with the single core 1.4 ghz CPU, IMO - the ONLY mistake they made, I believe, was not going with more RAM - 512 mb is (and I could be wrong, but, I don't think so) too small for an OS like WebOS, that is built and designed to have many user-initiated applications (cards) open at the same time, and left open - that can be a performance issue relative to the amount of RAM each open app takes up - they should have recognized this, IMO, and put 1G or more of RAM in there.
    It could be that 1G RAM pushes the processor more draining the battery. Just a thought.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post
    You should at least compare a phone with a similar form factor. What is the Android device that is a vertical slider with a full keyboard and 3.58" touchscreen?....oh yeah, it's the HTC Ev...no wait, that's a slab....ah, its the Samsung Glax....naw, that's a massive horizontal slider...hmm, I seem to be drawing a blank.

If you are really holding out for the newest, coolest, hip device, I hear HTC is coming out with an Android phone that is going to have an extendable handle on the top and wheels on the bottom so you can roll it behind you. It is also rumored to have an app that emulates the floor piano keyboard from the movie "Big"....although you may have to root your phone and void the warranty to make it work.
    that is a funny post. Does the new HTC bake a pizza ?
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    It could be that 1G RAM pushes the processor more draining the battery. Just a thought.
    Thanks, but, no... I don't think it works that way

Its going to just keep using RAM until there is no more space, and THEN the CPU's work becomes inundating, because there's no room left in RAM for additional information needed by those apps which are running.

More RAM = more robust performance, any day.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I have to disagree, somewhat.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    A combination of specs (again, just needs to compete, not be a super beast that will die in 4hours because of the specs), User experience and marketing it by simply running ads that shows what it can do is what sells (no need for explosions, robots or middle earth creepy ladies).
    I would add, the look of the phone should cause desire in the most common, non tech savvy consumer. Then the salesman has a chance to go further , unlock the screen and show what the phone can do.
    I would add, the look of the phone should cause desire in the most common, non tech savvy consumer. Then the salesman has a chance to go further , unlock the screen and show what the phone can do.
    and that's where the veer can spark some interest, it will make the people look, being so small
    ANDROID is open source, but I doubt that it's totally free of charge for the likes of HTC, Motorola and who else...I doubt it...could be wrong so...
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    You left a few things either accidentally or selectively...

Multimedia
    snip...
    1.3 megapixel front-facing camera
    Dual-LED flash

Services
    TV and Radio
    Remote PVR
    GPS Navigator
    Self serve
    Zoompass mobile payments

Is it known whether the Pre 3 will have the above? And what is Self Serve?
    I'd rather have Xenon flash overdual LED flash any day, but IMO flash is a minor feature so I'm cool with only one LED flash.

And a VGA front facing camera is good enough for video chat IMO. Remember kids, the Pre 3 spec-wise is intended to compete with last year's iPhone, not this year's android beasts. Ruby keeps mentioning that thing about missing a product cycle.

Real life example, the iPad is not the best specked tablet out there, yet it's wiping the floor compared to the others.
    Because it has the best tablet experience on the market at the minute. Specs aren't everything, silly. User experience is.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juize View Post
    ANDROID is open source, but I doubt that it's totally free of charge for the likes of HTC, Motorola and who else...I doubt it...could be wrong so...
    The Android parts are free. There are fees for any Microsoft licenses but not for Android itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    More RAM = more robust performance, any day.
    And somewhat higher power use. Each bit in RAM still has to be refreshed regularly (where regularly = no longer than 64ms between refreshes). The memory is certainly from a smaller process and so more energy efficient, but it may not be so much so that it requires less power overall.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    This thread is becoming a treasure trove of great knowledge.

Anyways, as to whether or not consumers care about specs: they do, but only if they can't play with the device in the store. You're example says that the person goes in and just reads the specs in the store... What? They don't engage with the device?

That's not how it works; everyone messes with the devices. If they feel fast and perform well, then the specs begin to matter very little.
    The whole point is 1.4 will kill any dual core in the market ( not guaranteed on future dual cores). So all of you doubters chill out and relax. Regarding the camera , take a break , the phone cameras are not from Canon or Nikon. There is not much of a difference between a 5 MP and 8 MP. Again whoever complains about low mega pixel needs to educate better. Its not the mega pixel its the other important things that help you take a great photograph. Read here
    Defintely doesn't come close to Samsung's dual core, cpu gpu combo. Maybe snapdragons, but not exynos.

If you honestly belive the pre 3 will be faster than the galaxy s2 i'll pay u double for that good stuff.

Samsung Galaxy S II overclocked to 1.5GHz, used to obliterate benchmarks (video) -- Engadget
    Last edited by m3grady2; 05/12/2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    It's not same as Apple product. Everyone knows how to use iPhone. My mom knows how to use it. My 3 years old daughter knows how to use it. If you ask 10 random people on the street, I'll bet good majority of those people knows iOS. And every major malls in US has Apple store. They can just walk in and play with iPhone, iTouch or iPad for hours.

webOS is different. Nobody knows. Even you walk into Sprint store, there's no actually working handset, atleast the one near my place. And if you go to Verizon store, they don't even have Pre 2 in the store, again one near my place. Most likely average Joe will look at the price and spec and friends and what salesman convinced them in the store.
    Average Joe is not looking at specs. Average Joe is looking at price, then features, then ease of use. The 'average' cell phone buyer doesn't know what a dual core Tegra processor is.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast