Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hey someone on tonight's podcast (the keith newman?) just played with the pre3 and said the speed blew every other current phone away.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Hey someone on tonight's podcast (the keith newman?) just played with the pre3 and said the speed blew every other current phone away.
    Meh, they better post it for dl tonight (the podcast) I want to dl it to listen to on the way in to work tomorrow. Say for off topic, but I want to check it out because of your post.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Thanks guys for the good points, I feel better now.

P.S. What's up with the stupid 1 star rating? Whoever voted this 1 is retarded because the info posted in this thread is great.
    Someone got upset, more than likely. Whatever; I agree with you. This thread is one of the better debates about the Pre 3, since nobody spiraled into hysterics.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Well, that's definitely encouraging...
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    What am I missing? I didn't read anything in the spec list that impressed me compared to the Pre3.

Also, Motorola, Samsung, and HTC (am I missing someone else important?) are constantly one-upping each other on specs. As much as people are swooning over the Evo3D and Samsung Galaxy S II and all these other "in the coming months" android phones, by the time they are released there will already be higher spec'd android phones announced.

By the time you are able to purchase your phone it will never be spec'd higher than every other phone out and/or announced/leaked.
    I was a launch day Pre owner and a big time webos advocate. My pre bit the dust last month and so I decided to buy an EVO. I was so miserable that I had to leave webos that you cannot imagine. At first I kept thinking about how am I going to use this big old behemoth, but now I see that with sticking with the Pre for so long I had kind of screwed myself. Now, I am not bashing webos and I actually wish I was still using it, but every app I had on the pre works better on my Evo. Zumodrive streaming, groovshark, short boot times, no OS freezes and so on. The truth is until you use a device and see how it performs in your daily life you cannot really have a valid opinion. I see the specs on the Pre3 and really thought I would have one in my hand by this summer. There are lots of good phone out there: iphones, android devices, windows and etc. Don't let people throw specs in your face and tell you one is better than the other. Life with the webos is amazing, but it's also just as good on other platforms. I hope you find a phone that is perfect for you.
    On tonight's podcast, the speaker (Newman?) mentioned the EVO as the current phone that the Pre3 blew away.

I sure hope so because many of the current press reviews coming out about the Veer are mediocre (excl the enthusiastic one from the WSJ)
    I guess the qualities of the Veer are not understood. Of COURSE it's not on par with the latest large-screen superphones. It was never intended to be. It is made to be a super compact companion to the TouchPad. Most of the cons I see listed in reviews are flat out laughable. "The display is too small".... REALLY??? "There's no official Twitter client" I read somewhere. REALLY??? There may not be but there's like 10 or so really good 3rd party ones. Doh. "The network speed is not great" *** people? That's AT&T, not HP.

It goes on.

I'm more and more starting to feel like reviews don't matter at all really. They're all a load of crap if you ask me.

The Veer is a pretty awesome phone. If it wasn't on the dreadful AT&T I would seriously consider getting it.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Reviews unfortunately do matter. The reviewers were only handed the Veer, not the Veer and the TouchPad. My guess is ATT did not want to wait until June but rather thought they would debut the "small phone" with the "large phone."
    Hopefully the TouchPad will come out soon and perhaps there will be a better round of reviews.
    I have an atrix an the hardware is incredible. It has a 1ghz dual core processor, 1gb ram, 4" display, 960x540 display, a long lasting 1900mah battery, and just an overall great device.

That being said, I will be replacing it with a pre 3 once im upgrade eligible in nov. If its available on at&t. Android is just too clunky and needs too muchbaby sitting for me. I constantly have to use an app killer to make sure there aren't things running in the background that shouldn't be running, the web browser other than having flash sucks compared to what available on the iphone and pre, the app Store sucks (sure there are alot of apps, but there are too many crappy apps, apps made for other android phones that bricked my phone, and apps that could be malicious), the touchscreen keyboard sucks (ios and winpho are a million times better), and even with all the power my phone has its still clunky at times.

As great a phone motorola designed and built here (it truely is an excently device) the expierence is jut nowhere near the quality you get with webos and ios. The specs on the pre 3 are good enough for me when pared with an awesome os. Do I wish the specs at least matched what I have now? Of course! But its not a deal breaker as long as the hardware is solid and doesn't feel underpowered, which I assume will be the case with the pre 3.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    I have an atrix an the hardware is incredible.
    It doesn't feel sluggish????

I tried one out at the store and it felt slow moving within the OS with no apps open. Same thing with the Xoom. OS is very sluggish. On high-ish hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    It doesn't feel sluggish????

I tried one out at the store and it felt slow moving within the OS with no apps open. Same thing with the Xoom. OS is very sluggish. On high-ish hardware.

did you read the rest of my post?
    And yes, it does feel slugish at times, i notice most when I do something the first time. ie: when I first unlock the phone and scroll the different home screens, the first time around is sluggish but then is smooth. Andriod just feels like it was something thrown together and the hardware manufacturors are the ones really take up the slack by slapping lipstick on pig by making great hardware.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Okay guys, just to reiterate the posts about the single core vs dual core, watch this video.

If Sprint releases the Pre 3 ill consider getting it for sure, if not ill prob end up getting the nexus s 4g. my contract is up soon so we shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    did you read the rest of my post?
    And yes, it does feel slugish at times, i notice most when I do something the first time. ie: when I first unlock the phone and scroll the different home screens, the first time around is sluggish but then is smooth. Andriod just feels like it was something thrown together and the hardware manufacturors are the ones really take up the slack by slapping lipstick on pig by making great hardware.
    Sry, was skimming through in my wednesday night, saucer, drunken stupor.

Specs wise, I think the two phones are on par. I'd like higher megapixels on the front and back camera (yes I know megapixels are less important than quality of the sensor... but who's saying that the Pre3's sensor is good in the first place?). A larger screen would be nice, as well as a slab option.

But to me, the killer experience for Android is it's Google Navigation and Voice commands. It's invaluable, a free service, and in my experience, much faster and accurate than Sprint Nav.

Android has its crashes and app lock ups, but so does webOS (although more performance related than bugs). webOS is a superior interface and OS, in my opinion, but I just can't get over Google Navigation. I'll probably (?) still pick up the Pre 3 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Meh, they better post it for dl tonight (the podcast) I want to dl it to listen to on the way in to work tomorrow. Say for off topic, but I want to check it out because of your post.

podcast is up, Pre3 spec remarks came near the end or possibly after the podcast ended, am listening now to find out (edit: at 1 hr 21.5 min mark during email section, right before lightning round):
    PalmCast Episode 141 - VeerCast | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/12/2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I am getting annoyed at explaining the dual core Vs single core thing.

Folks , Please read more , Here and Here

I wish precentral editors write a detailed article and Shut everybody's mouth.
    This post, and the posts referred to in it, are VITAL reads for those of you who are "spec" watching, to decide on what will perform well, and won't, theoretically.

Dual core technology is important for heavy simultaneous computing - desktop computers can have as many as 100 processes running in the background at the same time. Don't believe me? Use the Task manager and see for yourself!

Before dual processors came along, those processes slowed the single core CPU down, and people complained about performance.

With smartphones, EvilKell is so on target, its not even close to being an agrument - you cant double the speed of the smartphone with mutiple cores, but, you can benefit from havingboth cores processing information at the same time, IF the code of the OS and the application allows it.

Ive spoken to a very experienced computer scientist about what it means to "optimize" code for dual core processing, and you know what he told me?

He said it was making sure that data structures that were being accessed by more than one call from the system or an application were handled correctly in order to reduce system inefficiency. If you are trying to access, an change a data structure at the same time others are doing the same thing, this is a big problem - so, this is where that optimization comes into play - it reduces issues by providing prioritization protocol for such instances, on an instance level basis.

So, optimization for dual core doesn't "increase" the speed of the OS, but, rather assures that it can run efficiently.

Having disclosed the above, a single core device doesnt have to be optimized, as it is already prioritized to handle such events.

HP made a good decision going with the single core 1.4 ghz CPU, IMO - the ONLY mistake they made, I believe, was not going with more RAM - 512 mb is (and I could be wrong, but, I don't think so) too small for an OS like WebOS, that is built and designed to have many user-initiated applications (cards) open at the same time, and left open - that can be a performance issue relative to the amount of RAM each open app takes up - they should have recognized this, IMO, and put 1G or more of RAM in there.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Does the public care about education in regard to phones? If Joe Smoe sees 5mp vs 8mp, will he/she know there is no real difference in picture quality? If they see dual core vs single core, will they know which performs better? For that matter will the people selling the devices to the public even know?

Sometimes perception is greater than fact, thus the success of IOS.

Real life example, the iPad is not the best specked tablet out there, yet it's wiping the floor compared to the others.
    I agree with that if included the fact that the iPad is wiping the floor because of perception AND User Experience. I'm not an Apple fan at all but their UI is executed far more better than Android. Smooth, fluid, quick: All words that come to mind when using iOS. Using Android doesn't bring that perception nor does their UI bring those words to mind.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    i don't understand it, everyone looks at the specs and complains about ghz and mb - they don't matter that much. if the pre3 runs webos fast without any performance problems, who cares if it's not dual core or "only" 1.4ghz. specs and custom ui are the only things for htc, samsung, etc to make their phones "visible" among all the other phones which are essentially the same.
    and you'd have to use android, which of course has its good sides, but it's a very different os, personally i don't like it at all. if you have used it and are happy, then, sure, go for it, but imo it's very naive to think the new htsamsony unbelievable3000 is a better phone just because of some numbers...
    i'm not saying the pre3 is superior in every way, but there's just so much more that should be considered than how many cores the cpu has or if the display has 34.5 pixels more.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    i don't understand it, everyone looks at the specs and complains about ghz and mb - they don't matter that much. if the pre3 runs webos fast without any performance problems, who cares if it's not dual core or "only" 1.4ghz. specs and custom ui are the only things for htc, samsung, etc to make their phones "visible" among all the other phones which are essentially the same.
    and you'd have to use android, which of course has its good sides, but it's a very different os, personally i don't like it at all. if you have used it and are happy, then, sure, go for it, but imo it's very naive to think the new htsamsony unbelievable3000 is a better phone just because of some numbers...
    i'm not saying the pre3 is superior in every way, but there's just so much more that should be considered than how many cores the cpu has or if the display has 34.5 pixels more.
    Problem is that these are consumer product. If they don't research or spend hours in one of the webos website. They go to the store and only thing that do is to look at the spec. I've been to sprint store, they don't even have real phone displayed. Only thing it drives them to buy new smartphone is to look at the spec and what salesman told them and their friends or coworkers are using.

I work in NYC, how many times do you think I actually ran into someone using webOS phone? maybe once or twice. How many co workers and friends using webOS? ZERO.

I understand the spec doesn't mean much when it comes to user experience but at 3% marketshare, HP has to put out the best spec out there to increase the public awareness. Otherwise, it will only stay at 3%.
    You should at least compare a phone with a similar form factor. What is the Android device that is a vertical slider with a full keyboard and 3.58" touchscreen?....oh yeah, it's the HTC Ev...no wait, that's a slab....ah, its the Samsung Glax....naw, that's a massive horizontal slider...hmm, I seem to be drawing a blank.

If you are really holding out for the newest, coolest, hip device, I hear HTC is coming out with an Android phone that is going to have an extendable handle on the top and wheels on the bottom so you can roll it behind you. It is also rumored to have an app that emulates the floor piano keyboard from the movie "Big"....although you may have to root your phone and void the warranty to make it work.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast