Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    wireless N at 5.0 gz...nobody really talks about this...its a rarity for a phone..will work pefrectly w my router ... Whos with me?
    gz ?? u mean ghz ?? i believe all the new phones have wireless N
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    most have wireless N 2.4ghz, not the 5ghz spectrum
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    wireless N at 5.0 gz...nobody really talks about this...its a rarity for a phone..will work pefrectly w my router ... Whos with me?
    Most people are still using and A/B an G LOL. I also use the same as you.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    they have N at 2.4...and yes GHZ...sorry or the major slipup
    title makes it seem like you're leaving webOS
    Maybe Mod could append title with "Wireless 5 GHz"?

But, you are correct, it is definitely not a common feature yet. I like it as I just upgraded to Wireless N 2.4/5 GHz.
    I see pandas.
    i agree.
    It's not really talked about since most of society has still accepted 802.11g to be standard. If as a wireless standard n continues to push forward it will become a bigger issue.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    It's not really talked about since most of society has still accepted 802.11g to be standard. If as a wireless standard n continues to push forward it will become a bigger issue.
    haha...hard beatz...as a board member I'm sure you KNOW the things we webos fans talk about to fill the time...haha...screw everyone else....this kid has a 5.0 ghz network ready to put a pre3 on!!
    Well it's something I didn't know about! In all honesty though, I don't know what WiFi standard my router pumps out at home. What's the speed difference like with N?
    That would be nice!
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    Well it's something I didn't know about! In all honesty though, I don't know what WiFi standard my router pumps out at home. What's the speed difference like with N?
    differences

The difference between 2.5 and 5 GHz wireless
    well H/P isnt about putting the latest and greatest, they want to give you quality. thats why you will never see innovation like Samsung.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    well H/P isnt about putting the latest and greatest, they want to give you quality. thats why you will never see innovation like Samsung.
    I think the Pre3 has everything it needs to be a fantastic device..some people knock it but I think it's going to be a real winner...at least with tech people

just hope it's not to big
    If you have a wireless router serving up N speeds, then the PRe 3 should perform accordingly with that capbility - so far, N isnt being adapted as quickly as it could be, but that coudl change in a heartbeat.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    In truth there are a lot more differences than this particular thread that was linked.

Here's my short list of some additional things to think about:

2.4ghz - in theory better coverage and longer range - in practice more crowded spectrum and more interference sources. Max of 3 non-overlapping channels in the USA within a given area at any given time (all other channel combinations overlap leading to signal degredation. 802.11b, g, n, cordless phones, bluetooth, RC control systems, microwave interference etc.

5ghz - in theory lower signal penetration through walls - in practice lower noise floor due to fewer devices means no practical disadvantage. Many more combinations of clear channels. 802.11a, n, some cordless phones.

Some wireless N devices also use wide spectrum on 2.4ghz which can interfere with other 2.4ghz devices by using a double wide channel. Some wireless N devices can use both 2.4ghz and 5ghz at the same time.
    802.11g is plenty..
    My wifi network is still on 802.11g and I am pretty happy to stay on it as the main bottleneck is my isp maxxing at 30mbps.

802.11n is good but I am skipping it for 802.11ac with 1Gbps/gigabit speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    i work in my Networking Department at my college. I am a supervisor to a project this summer where we are replacing all our access points with wireless N models. 850ish access points.

were a fairly smaller school too. i'd imagine larger schools like Ohio State ect would either be doing the same or already using N.

EDIT: Damn i'm good.

"Efforts to add 802.11n support is currently taking place."
    http://wireless.osu.edu/
    Last edited by blackfireball5; 05/11/2011 at 08:53 PM.
    This is a great feature! I'm a little obsessed with networking so I was glad to see HP step it up
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast