Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    If you’re excited about it because you got a new router and you’re just busting to use those 5Ghz waves floating about in your house, that’s great. Maybe it will be noticeable that first time you set up to transfer all your MP3s over to the phone via “Wifi Media Sync.” But I don’t see this as anything of importance in general usage for the average person looking to buy a phone. Or to put it into more selfish terms, I don’t see this as a feature that will attract significant market share to WebOS thus increasing the chances of getting more support from developers, etc.

-Suntan
    Will i notice it when i stream movies from my HP Media Server to my pre3 when im on the toilet? (god willing)

Im not following you on how you feel about the Pre3 in general...you think the specs work for you or no?
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    Will i notice it when i stream movies from my HP Media Server to my pre3 when im on the toilet? (god willing)
    If you’re watching whole movies while on the can, you need more bran. In any case, to my knowledge, there aren’t any programs available on WebOS that allow for streaming of local content via LAN. I doubt PlayOn will ever spend time to make a dedicated program. You can always use their Flash based browser interface, but that runs just fine even at 3G speeds. Which again, I’ve never seen a situation where a good 2.4 network signal couldn’t supply the equivalent of 3G speeds because of oversaturation from other networks.

Im not following you on how you feel about the Pre3 in general...you think the specs work for you or no?
    I think the specs of the Pre3 are good for now. But they will be lacking for the last 6 to 9 months of a 2 yr contract. But honestly, that is the case for most phones released. I’d be fine with the Pre3 as my next phone (assuming it ever gets released on Verizon and they get a couple of specific apps) indeed it is in the running or I wouldn’t bother being here. But at the same time, its specs are not superior to what’s available elsewhere.

Look at the Droid Incredible 2. By and large, similar specs to the Pre3 (yes the pre 3 is clocked higher.) Initial reports are that it is a good phone that gets the job done, but not a superphone by any means.

That said, I think that getting wrapped up worrying about processor speed this and/or network radio spec that on this one phone is missing the point.

There really aren’t any specs that the Pre3 (alone) could have that would give WebOS traction in the fast moving phone market. It could have the specs of the upcoming EVO 3D and still not be able to dent Apple (with its 1 phone) or Android (with their upteen hundred phones.)

In case you wonder, I think HP needs to release the Pre3, along with a 4”+ slab, along with a 3.5 to 4” landscape slider, along with possibly the Veer. Not just the Veer with the Pre3 with a 5Ghz radio.

Yeah, new phones take time. But again, all I hear from people is how big HP is and how they have this and that, don’t underestimate this and that. They need multiple phones being released now. Not one now, one next month and maybe one or two more by end of year. And while they are at it they need to at least fool people into believing that the networks are interested in bringing the phones to their network… Why is it that it is pretty easy to know which Android phones are coming to each carrier 4 to 6 months before they actually release, but it’s crickets chirping for this phone?

-Suntan
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    If you’re watching whole movies while on the can, you need more bran. In any case, to my knowledge, there aren’t any programs available on WebOS that allow for streaming of local content via LAN. I doubt PlayOn will ever spend time to make a dedicated program. You can always use their Flash based browser interface, but that runs just fine even at 3G speeds. Which again, I’ve never seen a situation where a good 2.4 network signal couldn’t supply the equivalent of 3G speeds because of oversaturation from other networks.

I think the specs of the Pre3 are good for now. But they will be lacking for the last 6 to 9 months of a 2 yr contract. But honestly, that is the case for most phones released. I’d be fine with the Pre3 as my next phone (assuming it ever gets released on Verizon and they get a couple of specific apps) indeed it is in the running or I wouldn’t bother being here. But at the same time, its specs are not superior to what’s available elsewhere.

Look at the Droid Incredible 2. By and large, similar specs to the Pre3 (yes the pre 3 is clocked higher.) Initial reports are that it is a good phone that gets the job done, but not a superphone by any means.

That said, I think that getting wrapped up worrying about processor speed this and/or network radio spec that on this one phone is missing the point.

There really aren’t any specs that the Pre3 (alone) could have that would give WebOS traction in the fast moving phone market. It could have the specs of the upcoming EVO 3D and still not be able to dent Apple (with its 1 phone) or Android (with their upteen hundred phones.)

In case you wonder, I think HP needs to release the Pre3, along with a 4”+ slab, along with a 3.5 to 4” landscape slider, along with possibly the Veer. Not just the Veer with the Pre3 with a 5Ghz radio.

Yeah, new phones take time. But again, all I hear from people is how big HP is and how they have this and that, don’t underestimate this and that. They need multiple phones being released now. Not one now, one next month and maybe one or two more by end of year. And while they are at it they need to at least fool people into believing that the networks are interested in bringing the phones to their network… Why is it that it is pretty easy to know which Android phones are coming to each carrier 4 to 6 months before they actually release, but it’s crickets chirping for this phone?

-Suntan
    well I was hoping fpr a third party solutoon..i use airvideo now for ipad .... Since HP moved all their mediasmart guys to WebOs maybe the team made a port of their mediasmart ios app for practice...a boy can dream

while I agree with your thoughts on multiple form factors now instead of later you can't possibly know all the factors in HP decision making...maybe it's a manufacturing issue...maybe it's carrier deals...maybe the slab they are working on didn't work out for some reason...or maybe they are simply holding back for holiday season....i don't know...but I think I'm gonna love thw pre3 so I don't care as much

I'm just saying it not as easy as flooding the market with form facotrs...isnt that what we don't like about Android?
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    To all of this, let me reiterate my original sentiment towards the inclusion of wireless N on the Pre 3:

Meh.
    802.11n allows a given speed at longer distances at lower power. That does actually provide a practical benefit.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    802.11n allows a given speed at longer distances at lower power. That does actually provide a practical benefit.
    But I thought N @ 5GHz couldn't go through walls and such as good, so the range is cut significantly shorter???

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Should try and get these guys to convert their iOS app to webOS:
    About Air Video

It streams content from your computer (any format) to the iPad, iPhone, iPod and Apple TV via AirPlay (over the iPad or iPhone). It's pretty spectacular. Would be a great jump for webOS if they were to port their app.
    Read: Wi-Fi 802.11n 2.4 GHz vs. 5 GHz: What's the Difference? - Tested

"802.11n is at its fastest when it can use multiple/wider channels. An 802.11n router can increase performance by taking up a 40 MHz chunk of the band instead of the standard 20 MHz chunk, delivering data at rate above 100Mbits/sec. Since the 2.4 GHz band is narrower and more crowded than the 5 GHz band, the latter is a much better choice for ensuring the top speed in your wireless network. Of course, this requires devices that support 5 GHz 802.11n networking, a much less common feature than 2.4 GHz devices. "
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Should try and get these guys to convert their iOS app to webOS:
    About Air Video

It streams content from your computer (any format) to the iPad, iPhone, iPod and Apple TV via AirPlay (over the iPad or iPhone). It's pretty spectacular. Would be a great jump for webOS if they were to port their app.
    Yeah thats what im using now for ipad ...its fantastic....would love to see it on webos
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    But I thought N @ 5GHz couldn't go through walls and such as good, so the range is cut significantly shorter???

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Anything in the 5GHz range will have a shorter range for the same power compared to 2.4GHz. But compared to .11a, it will get better range, and can equal .11g ranges in the 5GHz band.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    In my real-world experience, there has never been a situation where I needed N because G wasn't enough. If G doesn't suffice, N will probably be unreliable. What is needed in this type of situation is a repeater, or more preferably, a WAP wired to the network.

As for the claim of lower power, that is not necessarily true. At least, you cannot equivocally say that all 802.11n radios use less power than all 802.11g radios.

http://ils.intel-research.net/upload...211n_power.pdf

So again, I say meh. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying 802.11n should not have been added. As it is becoming more commonly used, of course it should have been added. I am just saying it's nothing to get excited about.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Fanaticalman, the Pre 3 DOES support N 5.0ghz....thats the part of the pre3 i am excited about....not sure if I read your right
    This makes me very happy. I was under the impression that the Pre3 would not have 5Ghz capabilities. I just verified right from the HP site that it will indeed have the functionality. Thank you for the enlightenment! If the Pre3 has it, I imagine this functionality will become much more common in high-end devices going forward.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123