Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    Same here with the Sprint FrankenPre2. I think it will work out great as a "lifeboat" device until Palm finishes coming out of the desert and we know how the chips have fallen. Moreover the FrankenPre2 will allow me to stay off-contract and be able to jump to whichever deal makes the best sense for me (I have VZ FiOS and FiOS TV already) and not be forced into a (potentially bad) situation because of timelines.

PS I did walk into VZW store back in 2008/2009 (when I was a feature-phone at&t Wireless customer) looking to change. I did inquire about bundling savings and was told that it would not apply to Wireless, only Internet/TV/Phone/VOIP would be integrated.
    The discount is applied to your Phone portion of the bill for having ONEBILL....the wireless guys really dont know much about it.....Verizon telco is under a diff unbrella
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    All of these responses are so interesting. I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in ...

I am on Verizon, and I'll tell you why.

When I got my first cell phone, I got it on the only service that was available where I live. I think it was called US West Cellular. I was happy enough with the service, but I didn't use it a lot (super expensive back then). Then, Airtouch bought US West. I didn't experience any big change in service, but I still didn't use it too much. I think it was after Airtouch that it became Verizon. By that time, there were other options becoming available, but I had no reason to change.

Our Verizon rep had become a good friend (not only did we have a personal account, but each of us was responsible for our business accounts). When he told us that he was going to be heading up the new Sprint push into our area, my husband and I were wary (my husband had had a bad experience with Nextel). However, because he was a friend, we moved all of our phones (personal and business) to Sprint.

Everyone here has a different priority. When you live in a remote area, coverage is the key. And, Sprint just didn't have it. They kept promising better service, but I couldn't even make/take a call while I was sitting at my desk at work. We hung in there for several years. I even had my first smartphone with Sprint (Kyocera 6035). However, once our friend left town and number portability was available, we couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I agree that Sprint has the best pricing on their plans, but it doesn't do you any good when you can't use the minutes because you don't have service. What I missed most when I left Sprint was my Samsung I500. I LOVED that phone, and it was a major change (in size) to go to the TREO (what a brick ... but it worked like a champ!)

Everyone has their own reasons for why they are with the carrier they have chosen, whether it is for the plan, the service, or the device. This has been mine. I don't plan to leave Verizon any time soon. So, I just have to pick the (Verizon) device that is right for me. Right now it is the Pre+, but who knows what it will be a few months from now.
    Nicky
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    ..my wife has an iphone 4 and ipad and VZ FIOS apps stream to them. So there a lot of reasons for me to stay with them.
    I was speaking to a customer that has a ipad a while ago. She has really bad arthritis and cant use a regular remote without pain. She uses the fios remote app on the ipad, and can control the tv with out pain. She loves it. I had always thought that app a little useless, but now seeing how it can help someone, I think its great.

Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    since when has verizon bundled there fios with there cell carrier????
    It's called a quad instead of a triple play. They do it tho.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    Apparently, webOS has no such following (at least among Sprint users). I, for one, will gladly have two fewer beers per month so that I can experience webOS on a Pre3. I guess some people don't find webOS worth even that much.
    I'm on Sprint. I am in college, have loans, and Sprint gives me a 23% discount. And i get ALL the features i want for one price that i can afford. Sometimes its not about doing what you want but more about doing what you have to. If i was on my own and had a good paying job i might consider switching to Verizon for my love of webOS. but its just not an option for me, no matter how much i love webOS. I'll do a Pre2 conversion before i switch to Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    If you love webos so much...why not just switch to VZ....sprint doesn't seem to be doing much to support WEBOS....why the dedication?
    Good question. My answer is simple: You are right. I am already planning on switching to Verizon from my Sprint line, which I have been on for 7 years, in July. My reason for switching to Verizon:
    -added another $30 for my smartphones
    -ditched my one year upgrades
    -the fact that I have 12% on Verizon via my work
    -because they have the worst "4G" network (Sprint)
    -Verizon will be getting the Pre3 *for sure*
    -they keep adding on charges on my bill that should be
    -they have a faster 3G service (Verizon that is)
    -And because they are making me mad for all of that
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    I have been paying VZW for my phone and my niece's phone for three years at $180-$200 a month. Part of that is my $10 navigation charge and her $10 Blackberry charge. I left Sprint due to lack of coverage 6 years ago. I just moved down the street and I am dropping calls left and right, and I understand the VZW femtocell is $250 if they will give you one.

If Pre3 comes to Sprint I will buy one via contract. If it only comes to VZW then I will have to decide whether to hold my nose and renew with VZW or pay full price to remain out of contract. Their bad service and smug attitude do not really merit my business. I am sure most cell providers, being large corporations, engage in a lot of fraud and are really just a cancer on the community, so I don't know if others are much better.

I guess I need to do the math on buying a VZW Pre3 outright ($500?) or paying the initial contract, then buying out after a year ($300 at the beginning). I like buying a new phone every year, and like to be able to fire a company that attempts to defraud me. Free markets depend on the consumer having a choice.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    these posts are awesome, people hate VZ like i hate comcast.

I dont dislike VZ, and i wouldnt switch to them either if sprint didnt get pre3. They are just expensive. I am a college student so money is tight, im on simply everything family plan which is cheaper, and i get 25% discount form work, (althought i think they changed it to where its 25% primary line now).

Theres always another option, ive been hanging onto my centro for awhile now, so it can only get better. TealOS centro = webOS, ive been trying to get ahold of a palm pro or a bad esn/locked pre2 to franken pre a pre2 on sprint.

And if push comes to shove, i will get one of the new WP7 phones, people dont give them enough credit. and when mango hits in the fall, it will be a worthy adversary to webOS. ios and aos can only get so big until people look for the next big thing. Should give them a chance, i mean look at webOS.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Also it looks like it will be July or Aug for the Pre 3 to be released, with Sprint getting 4G version and Verizon 3G World Phone Version.

More HP TouchPad Details Surface | webOSroundup
    I got this email yesterday after asking about the TP and Pre3...

Hi Neit,

We have not announced the release date for the Touchpad, but I can tell you it will be available for pre order a week before that date. I will let you know the second we have the price and pre order date. As for the Pre 3 that is looking to be released about a month after the Touchpad and will most likely be available for the 3 major carriers, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. I’m not sure why they staggered the release of the 3 new Palm products but it was done most likely to build hype for each.

Best Regards,

Gabe

Gabriel xxxxxx
    Small & Medium Business Sales
    HP Business
    Hewlett-Packard Company 1-800-xxx-xxxx ext. xxxxxx
    Fax # xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxx@hp.com
    HP® - Laptops, Desktops, Printers, Servers and more
    Last edited by neit_jnf; 06/02/2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    @neit_jnf, is this a person at HP that you've been dealing with for a while? or is this the only communications you've had with that person?
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    people hate VZ like i hate comcast.
    You're not alone, Comcast was voted worst company in America.

Congratulations Comcast; You're The Worst Company In America! - The Consumerist

When I become king, companies will pay a huge fine for such poor numbers, to help compensate for the way the market no longer works.
    Well, I got an email from that person promoting the Touchpad, I had signed up myself to get updates about it. I replied asking about the availability date and whether the Pre3 was going to be on Sprint and that was the response I got.

Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    @neit_jnf, is this a person at HP that you've been dealing with for a while? or is this the only communications you've had with that person?
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    I got this email yesterday after aking about the TP and Pre3...
    That is a new look that I have not yet thought of. Releasing the devices at different times could have its advantages. However, it also does have disadvantages.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's funny to hear those who say Sprint treats them good or gives them good service. Nothing since the Pre minus and no indication if they'll ever carry another webOS device. I wouldn't say that's good service. In fact, for those reasons I would never switch back to Sprint.

BTW...AT&T is about the same as Sprint in cost. In some instances, it's cheaper. There's also that insurance factor. Apple's warranty is good enough to not need it. I found with Sprint, you better pay for it if you want their support. I can get 25% discount on either carrier.

Tiered data issues only apply if you use a lot. But you also get data and voice at same time, better 3 way calling, a-list, faster 3G, and the ability to switch SIM cards.
    I am seriously looking at AT&T, but I am one that also would say Sprint has taken care of us for years. Switched the wife to them from VZW YEARS ago and I have been with Sprint for around 10 years on this current run. The $10 per a line smartphone fee has put Sprint within a $10 range with VZW and AT&T. Looking at AT&T I could run the 2 gig 4G data plan and actually save about $20 over what Sprint will be charging me the next time we sign a contract and have to pay $10 each line. (all prices compared before any discounts).

It's like this for us, when our contract is up I will look at all carriers and what news is out at that point and go from there. I have no problems staying with Sprint and if they have a Pre 3 coming by the end of 2011 that is probably what we will do. We have home phone and DSL with AT&T so I will look into the discounts I can get with them, I am still on a 17% corp discount with Sprint from many years ago, so if they get the Pre 3 (or another WebOS device with physical keyboard) I will factor that in as well.

In the end, no new WebOS device with physical keyboard and I don't see us with Sprint any more come late 2011/early 2012 (contract up in October).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziplock View Post
    Also it looks like it will be July or Aug for the Pre 3 to be released, with Sprint getting 4G version and Verizon 3G World Phone Version.

More HP TouchPad Details Surface | webOSroundup
    4G for Sprint? Yay
    August? Boo
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    People keep complaining about the $10 fee increase for Sprint, they should never have called it a 4G fee or anything else. Verizon and I believe at&t are both moving towards tiered billing for data. That will make their pricing even more confusing. Sprint probably had to raise the price because their cost to connect for data was probably increased by at&t and possibly Verizon as well. They are still offering unlimited everything for one price. Not a price that could vary from month to month. Sprint had problems with the original Pre and probably did not pick up the Plus or 2 because they were not a major improvement over the original and rumors had it before the sale of Palm that there was a new phone in the pipe for Sprint, even rumors that it was in testing. Then the sale took place and things changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    People keep complaining about the $10 fee increase for Sprint, they should never have called it a 4G fee or anything else. Verizon and I believe at&t are both moving towards tiered billing for data. That will make their pricing even more confusing. Sprint probably had to raise the price because their cost to connect for data was probably increased by at&t and possibly Verizon as well. They are still offering unlimited everything for one price. Not a price that could vary from month to month.
    You should probably go price other carriers. As I said in my post I have done this (including AT&T with their tiered plans). Pricing is within $10, I also don't think you fully understand tiered pricing on data, unless your data use changes greatly from month to month you monthly bill will change little to none. Like I said I could cut $20 off my monthly sprint plan and if I went over the 2 gigs, is would only tack $10 on for the next gig of data. This is all going to vary based on personal usage, for the wife and I all 3 carriers are within $10 before any discounts.

Now the big thing you are missing when you are talking about unlimited everything, Hesse has already come out saying Sprint could go to a tiered data plan in the future (this was months ago, before VZW announced they were going tiered). My next bet is that once VZW has announced tiered pricing or goes tiered, Sprint won't be too far behind them. If Sprint is willing to try and hit any new smartphone activation (even replacing a Pre with a Pre) with a $10 per line fee, when they have no reason to keep data unlimited I doubt they will.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Price point plain and simple, VZ is a <rip off>! lol!
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/04/2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: language
    My employer only gives a discount for sprint. I remember a couple of years ago when everyone was signing up with a particular credit union to get a sprint discount. Is there anything similar for att or verizon?
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    I've been with VZ since I got my first cell phone and never had a problem. Never had the "bad" customer service others have experienced. However, that said, I think Sprint will probably get a WebOS device (probably the Pre 3) so the discussion is somewhat moot.

ET
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234