Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Carrier first, phone second. Sprint doesn't have me as a customer because they offered WebOS, WebOS has me as a customer because it was on Sprint. If Sprint abandons HPalm/WebOS, so will I.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's funny to hear those who say Sprint treats them good or gives them good service. Nothing since the Pre minus and no indication if they'll ever carry another webOS device. I wouldn't say that's good service. In fact, for those reasons I would never switch back to Sprint.

BTW...AT&T is about the same as Sprint in cost. In some instances, it's cheaper. There's also that insurance factor. Apple's warranty is good enough to not need it. I found with Sprint, you better pay for it if you want their support. I can get 25% discount on either carrier.

Tiered data issues only apply if you use a lot. But you also get data and voice at same time, better 3 way calling, a-list, faster 3G, and the ability to switch SIM cards.
    Like Gr3yGhOsT, I don't see a real connection between "customer service" and "what phones a carrier supports". Sprint answers my phone calls and resolves problems in a way that leaves me satisfied. Verizon makes me wait on hold and then refuses to even address the problem. That's an enormous difference in customer support.

As for needing insurance, I've never purchased insurance. But the Sprint shop around the corner from my office has twice replaced my phone (once a Treo and once a Pre) and once repaired my phone (a Pre, problem turned out to be that I'd completely filled the memory, but they diagnosed and fixed it) without any problems, under warranty.

Yes, it matters what phones a carrier has. But that's a completely different issue than customer service.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Like Gr3yGhOsT, I don't see a real connection between "customer service" and "what phones a carrier supports". Sprint answers my phone calls and resolves problems in a way that leaves me satisfied. Verizon makes me wait on hold and then refuses to even address the problem. That's an enormous difference in customer support.

As for needing insurance, I've never purchased insurance. But the Sprint shop around the corner from my office has twice replaced my phone (once a Treo and once a Pre) and once repaired my phone (a Pre, problem turned out to be that I'd completely filled the memory, but they diagnosed and fixed it) without any problems, under warranty.

Yes, it matters what phones a carrier has. But that's a completely different issue than customer service.
    So you guys would rather change to android then switch to VZ? Thats basically what im asking.....you guys hate VZ soooo much that you would rather ditch webos to stay on sprint....its just confusing me because this is a webos board.....i would figure members here are so into webos that carrier would come second.... apparently im wrong..

PS . i know youll hang on to pre minurs / fraknenpre as long as you can.....lets assume you couldn't because it died and theres no ebay for replacements etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    So you guys would rather change to android then switch to VZ? Thats basically what im asking.....you guys hate VZ soooo much that you would rather ditch webos to stay on sprint....its just confusing me because this is a webos board.....i would figure members here are so into webos that carrier would come second.... apparently im wrong..

PS . i know youll hang on to pre minurs / fraknenpre as long as you can.....lets assume you couldn't because it died and theres no ebay for replacements etc.
    I think it's those people that live in one of the extremely rare areas that Sprint has better coverage than Verizon, that are on individual plans, or that are really heavy texters. Because in those cases Sprint can offer better rates than Verizon (or service quality for the first).
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Andriod is getting better by the day......my Evo today is not the same phone I bought. The app store is huge now. Given that I still want the dam Pre 3 on sprint. I love my Pre.

You are right that I am still using a Pre-. It isn't showing any signs of dying, but I am hankering for an upgrade. I haven't decided yet what that upgrade will be. If I can get a Sprint Pre with a hardware keyboard, that will be my next phone. If not, it will probably be either a Sprint Android or an AT&T Pre. Right now, the Android seems more likely, although I played with a friend's Evo Shift and was disappointed. They keyboard is larger than on the Pre, but less useful, I think.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts

Sometimes it is more complicated than that. I have a family plan and though I could upgrade & leave Sprint, it would cost quite a bit to break the contract w/numerous other phones...

If needed, I will hold on to my Pre- until the other phones are either finished w/their contract or until I decide, the money just doesn't matter anymore.

If it were me alone, the decision would be much easier. As you know, recently, the price gap has narrowed, but a year ago, the plans were pretty significantly different.

i switched to android instead of switching to verizon. Jumping ship trying to follow phones would get really expensive really quickly. WebOS is great, and i hope Sprint supports them in the future, but i would have to think long and hard before changing carriers and my preferred device wouldn't be top factor. at the end of the day, its all about making calls, sending texts, and using the internet. I can do those things on Sprint for much cheaper. period.
    Holding out for potential webos on sprint but not going to be an android convert. Why not go to att/vz?
    Here is the 1 point, expanded.
    I get 27% discount on a 5 person family plan @ 210. On VZ it cost 300 just for talk and text. On ATT i dont get unlimited data for peace of mind and the cost is more also.

I rather buy a frankenpre. Was considering getting evo 3d for my sibling with my upgrade option buy a frakenpre off contract. But after the potential good news, i'll hold out until evo3d out or sprint pre announcement.
    Sprint is a great deal. That's what keeps my family on the carrier. 3 phones with unlimited data and text plus asurion insurance for $150.

Contrast that with AT&T, whose data plan is $45 per month per phone for 4GB...and $10 for each fraction of a GB thereafter. My wife blows through more than 4GB each month on her Pre. Verizon is also fairly expensive...and they are going tiered this summer.

So yeah, we are sticking with Sprint...not shifting to wherever a Pre 3 ends up. In fact, we just converted one of our pre's (my daughters) to an android handset...and will probably do so with the other two even if the P3 ends up on Sprint. It just comes down to apps...and support for DRM/premium content.

e.g., in the Android world:
    - Flash 10.3 released today
    - Streaming Netflix released for a number of Android-based phones today...with more to follow
    - HBO to Go released last month
    - MLB providing streaming game video
    - Kindle and Nook apps
    - Videochat, including cross-platform
    - MULTIPLE web browser options, including Opera and Firefox

...the list goes on and on....and is expected to exceed the Apple app catalog in size sometime this summer. Sure, I don't need a million apps, but when you want something, you can usually find it in the Android marketplace...like numerous software keyboards, including those that support swype.

If the P3 hit Sprint tomorrow, what would you do with it? Stack cards?

Seriously, I love WebOS...it rocks. It is the best mobile OS out there, but it is the Betamax of our time..with similar levels of support from major players....and I just don't see a groundswell of development and commercial support on the horizon.

Last edited by scuba_steve; 05/13/2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I'm very fortunate that my company has a great discount plan with Verizon - for me, VZW is much cheaper than Sprint, and I'm thankful for that. I've been with Verizon for a long time and really like their service - all my interaction with staff in person has been remarkably good. I don't know what I would do if I lost my discounts - money definitely matters!

I have a Pre2 on VZW and love it. My wife has a basic phone and my son a feature phone - their choices in both cases. VZW just works out best for us - having the phones we want is the icing on the cake.
    That's a tough question, spork. Like several others here, I'm on Sprint, and I like it for many of the same reasons. I was a Verizon customer (my wife still is, actually) dating back to the Bell Atlantic Mobile days, but converted to Sprint when I realized that in the New England area they covered nearly all of what Verizon covered, cost significantly less, and appeared to be proactive about offering new smartphone models... this being in the days of the Treo 600/650.

Verizon does rub me the wrong way in so many ways... not the least of which is the smugness they appear to portray in their advertising... they've crossed the line from boastful to smug, and for me that's not a good idea. I did have some customer service issues that weren't handled well, and they cost more... so what did I have to lose trying Sprint?

So yes, I'm with Sprint, and am quite dedicated to them. Should be a no-brainer, right?

Well... I love WebOS. It is a properly intuitive and responsive user interface, and Synergy is a miracle for my calendar. My mobile OS experience includes palmOS, Windows Mobile, and webOS. I have handled Apple's IOS, but it didn't feel right to me, nor did I like the lack of a hardware keyboard (something I learned when the h/w keyboard on my Touch Pro failed). I haven't handled Android, but the impression I get about Android is that it's an OS that you can mold to how you'd like it to work... and quite frankly, you'll need to do that. Sorry, but to me that's just like Windows Mobile, and I couldn't stand how much effort I had to put into making that phone work better. WebOS has the advantage of working well right out of the box, much like Apple's IOS does. Even Windows Phone 7 might also have this advantage. But webOS is definitely my favorite to interact with, and giving that up would be tragic.

So, if my phone were to die today and there were no webOS replacements available (Pre or Pixi, though I'd hate to downgrade to a Pixi on Sprint), I suppose I'd seriously consider the HTC Arrive on Windows Phone 7 on Sprint... but I'd really hate to do so. If that didn't work out, I'd see if I could swing going without a contract on Verizon... though I'd be subject to an ETF on top of it all, so that probably wouldn't be viable.

Tomorrow's another day... we'll see what that brings. I'm also still interested to see what HP is planning to "make it right"... as while my Pre is from one of the final days of sale, I had been waiting for the Pre to reach its next generation on Sprint ever since the first day it went on sale, so I've been feeling the wait for that long. Such is device lust, I guess.

EDIT: Great thread, by the way. I never thought I'd see a useful conversation about Sprint vs. Verizon and webOS vs. Android (or whatever OS), but I'm happily proved wrong.
    Last edited by snowbound; 05/13/2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Forgot my last comment
    Who's flying this thing?
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    That's a tough question, spork. Like several others here, I'm on Sprint, and I like it for many of the same reasons. I was a Verizon customer (my wife still is, actually) dating back to the Bell Atlantic Mobile days, but converted to Sprint when I realized that in the New England area they covered nearly all of what Verizon covered, cost significantly less, and appeared to be proactive about offering new smartphone models... this being in the days of the Treo 600/650.

Verizon does rub me the wrong way in so many ways... not the least of which is the smugness they appear to portray in their advertising... they've crossed the line from boastful to smug, and for me that's not a good idea. I did have some customer service issues that weren't handled well, and they cost more... so what did I have to lose trying Sprint?

So yes, I'm with Sprint, and am quite dedicated to them. Should be a no-brainer, right?

Well... I love WebOS. It is a properly intuitive and responsive user interface, and Synergy is a miracle for my calendar. My mobile OS experience includes palmOS, Windows Mobile, and webOS. I have handled Apple's IOS, but it didn't feel right to me, nor did I like the lack of a hardware keyboard (something I learned when the h/w keyboard on my Touch Pro failed). I haven't handled Android, but the impression I get about Android is that it's an OS that you can mold to how you'd like it to work... and quite frankly, you'll need to do that. Sorry, but to me that's just like Windows Mobile, and I couldn't stand how much effort I had to put into making that phone work better. WebOS has the advantage of working well right out of the box, much like Apple's IOS does. Even Windows Phone 7 might also have this advantage. But webOS is definitely my favorite to interact with, and giving that up would be tragic.

So, if my phone were to die today and there were no webOS replacements available (Pre or Pixi, though I'd hate to downgrade to a Pixi on Sprint), I suppose I'd seriously consider the HTC Arrive on Windows Phone 7 on Sprint... but I'd really hate to do so. If that didn't work out, I'd see if I could swing going without a contract on Verizon... though I'd be subject to an ETF on top of it all, so that probably wouldn't be viable.

Tomorrow's another day... we'll see what that brings. I'm also still interested to see what HP is planning to "make it right"... as while my Pre is from one of the final days of sale, I had been waiting for the Pre to reach its next generation on Sprint ever since the first day it went on sale, so I've been feeling the wait for that long. Such is device lust, I guess.

EDIT: Great thread, by the way. I never thought I'd see a useful conversation about Sprint vs. Verizon and webOS vs. Android (or whatever OS), but I'm happily proved wrong.
    This was the best answer I have ever gotten on any post...understood the question and answered it directly...good job...that being said....i can see how VZW commercials are all smug....but it think its a lot easier to overlook when they are your carrier...haha....anyway...as a VZ wireless sub....hope we can both be using a Pre3 this summer....it will be a long wait if either of us dont get it
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I could use the presence of the Pre 3 *and* somewhat better coverage in areas where I use my phone to justify switching back to VZW this summer, despite if costing a good $30/month more for me (based on current plans/pricing). But we'll see what types of plans both carriers have out when I am eligible to move.

Ironic. I left Verizon because I was ready for a smartphone, and they had a lousy selection 2 years ago (I used BB for work and hate the interface, no Android, and I will never use Winders), plus they were ridiculously expensive. I had remembered hearing something about this new Palm phone and that Sprint had it. Now, I may have to consider switching back because of .. phone selection?
    This was the best answer I have ever gotten on any post...understood the question and answered it directly...good job...that being said....i can see how VZW commercials are all smug....but it think its a lot easier to overlook when they are your carrier...haha....anyway...as a VZ wireless sub....hope we can both be using a Pre3 this summer....it will be a long wait if either of us dont get it
    Thanks. I suspect I'll be waiting until fall anyway, when I've had my pre at least a year... But yeah, I feel like I can hardly wait.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I actually have a Franken Pre 2 (had it for about 2 months now), so if Sprint doesn't get a new phone soon, I actually feel I can hold on to this for another year, the Pre 2 is a real solid phone. I was also fortunate to have a good Pre minus. I bought it in Oct 2009 and didn't have any issues with it or need any replacements.
    Same here with the Sprint FrankenPre2. I think it will work out great as a "lifeboat" device until Palm finishes coming out of the desert and we know how the chips have fallen. Moreover the FrankenPre2 will allow me to stay off-contract and be able to jump to whichever deal makes the best sense for me (I have VZ FiOS and FiOS TV already) and not be forced into a (potentially bad) situation because of timelines.

PS I did walk into VZW store back in 2008/2009 (when I was a feature-phone at&t Wireless customer) looking to change. I did inquire about bundling savings and was told that it would not apply to Wireless, only Internet/TV/Phone/VOIP would be integrated.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Carrier first, phone second. Sprint doesn't have me as a customer because they offered WebOS, WebOS has me as a customer because it was on Sprint. If Sprint abandons HPalm/WebOS, so will I.
    diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks ... I'm exactly the opposite.

After being an AT&T Wireless (then Cingular then at&t Wireless) customer for 12 years, in 2008 I looked *HARD* at a smart phone. I walked into an Apple or at&t store *FOUR* different times with the FULL INTENTION to buy an iPhone, (1st gen at the time). I never saw the value proposition being better than my Palm T|X tethered via bluetooth to my at&t Nokia T637 for non-wifi connectivity.

Then CES/2009 happened and I saw the webOS demo. I knew right there that's what I was looking for. I ditched at&t for Sprint because of webOS.

I guess what I'm trying to say in short is that I'm a device first, carrier second kind of guy. But then again I do live in a failrly large metro with good coverage from many carriers, so maybe I am a carrier first , phone second kind of guy just that the carriers in this area are pretty much interchangeable from a service prespective.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    For me it's more about pricing. I have an intense aversion to monthly fees, so if they are necessary, I try to keep them as low as humanly possible. And I can accomplish whatever I need to accomplish with just about any of the smartphones on the market. Hell, it wasn't that long ago when I switched from a WM5 Moto Q to the Pixi, and I didn't have any problems with my Q. I could reactivate it today and be happy with it.

Anyway, my wallet trumps my OS preference. Would I be as happy with an Android phone as I am with the Pixi? The way I look at it, I'm sure I'd find things that I love about Android, too. It wouldn't have the same things I love about WebOS, but it does have its own advantages. So the way I see it, the OS is pretty much interchangeable from my perspective. I think the only one I would have a real problem with would be iOS.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I have been with Sprint for over 10 years and I have 5 phones on the unlimited family data plan which I pay around $200 a month. Verizon has better signal strength in my area but to get the family plan with Verizon would cost me over $300 dollars which is way too much. I have an original Pre with 1.4.5. I am holding out for the Pre 3 which I think will be the best phone on the market. That's why I want the phone to come to Sprint. I am a loyal customer to Sprint and Webos.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    oh I don't know. Price is big reason. Free gps. No locking that down. Upgrades every year (11 yr Sprint customer). Free Airrave femtocell. Unlimited mobile to mobile. Awesome customer service. Unlimited data really being unlimited.

love FiOS, but would never switch unless I had to. If anything, I would keep one line on sprint always. GF and I have already spoken on contingency plans in case I leave for a Pre3. She will stay on Sprint and her Pre.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast