Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    as a VZW customer, I have to disagree with the statement that verizon did nothing but list webOS phones, and made no sales efforts.

they actively and aggressively sold AGAINST webOS and promoted android.

I went into a vzw store on the first day for the pre2. They told me they didn't have any, while the palm rep was standing right there. They had a working display unit, and they flat lied to me.

/rant
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    This appears to be a fair answer...they did right by you so you are going to do the same for them....on top of the plans and service etc....so question is if your pre minus tanks and your faced with android or switch carriers...what do you do?
    I actually have a Franken Pre 2 (had it for about 2 months now), so if Sprint doesn't get a new phone soon, I actually feel I can hold on to this for another year, the Pre 2 is a real solid phone. I was also fortunate to have a good Pre minus. I bought it in Oct 2009 and didn't have any issues with it or need any replacements.

If I didn't have the Pre 2, I'd still using my overclocked Pre minus . However, if it had tanked I probably would have upgraded to an Evo or the new Nexus S 4G. I love webOS, but my service with Sprint & the amount I'd spend over a 2 year contract are more important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    as a VZW customer, I have to disagree with the statement that verizon did nothing but list webOS phones, and made no sales efforts.

I went into a vzw store on the first day for the pre2. They told me they didn't have any, while the palm rep was standing right there. They had a working display unit, and they flat lied to me.

/rant
    So true!
  4.    #24  

/rant
    I actually will agree with you here patially...my friend went to VZW for a Pre Plus and they tried to sell him Droid X...but the thing you have to understand is that that has less to do with WebOs and more to do with price points....flagship droid models sell better and cost more...will VZW treat the pre3 the same at $199? well have to see....but im sure they are up-selling flagship droids over entry droids and blackberrys also.

Its not limited to webos
    went to check out a pre2 a week after launch day and all they had was a demo in the back uncharged...told them I'm on sprint with a pre and they tried to get me to switch carrier and phone all in one breath..they are in par with a used car salesman :/

/rant
    I guess the Pre2 wasn't on the monthly spiff bonus that time.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint wants a slate webOS device only
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint wants a slate webOS device only
    Agreed..i can see that
  9. Pun
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I'm not leaving sprint whether they get the Pre 3 or not. I've had verizon and hated it from a price and customer service point of view. I will stay with sprint strictly becuz they're cheaper in all aspects of a cell plan. I want my new webos phone but I'm not gonna pay more just to have it. And as far as sprint not pushing webos, I don't think verizon has done any better. From what I've heard verizon **** on the pre and webos and tried to push droids on anybody who walked thru the door...and i'm assuming now it's the iphone, so i wouldn't leave sprint just becuz verizon allegedly "supports" webos more. I'm loyal to companies that are somewhat loyal to me...verizon hit me with hidden fees up the *** when i had them and my bill was different every single month...that don't sit right with me. I've been with sprint for a good 8 years now and have had only palm phones with them, but if I gotta go to another OS I will.
    Quote Originally Posted by corpx View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it (Sprint Pre3). Though time is quickly running out on my Pre- and I'm about to be an android convert.
    I was the same with my Sprint Pre, but then a miracle happened and my GSM unlocked device came in the mail and I did the FrankenPre2 conversion to get it up on Sprint. It took me all day Saturday but, really 80% of the time spent was just trying to get Linux to work properly. There was some conflict on my system but after several reboots, it worked. I highly suggest this option as an alternative to Android. The Pre2 is absolutely amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I love webOS, but my service with Sprint & the amount I'd spend over a 2 year contract are more important.
    This exactly the attitude HP needs to counter if they want people to buy into their ecosystem. People were willing to put up with AT&T because it had the iPhone. People wanted the experience of iOS and were willing to pay an extra premium (in $ and in dropped calls) for it. Years back, Apple even decreased the sales price of the iPhone while making AT&T increase the monthly cost, yet people still bought the iPhone.

Apparently, webOS has no such following (at least among Sprint users). I, for one, will gladly have two fewer beers per month so that I can experience webOS on a Pre3. I guess some people don't find webOS worth even that much.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    For my area (Triad, NC), Verizon is nothing more than another wireless carrier. They have no landline service here (that's all AT&T and Bell South), no TV or FIOS (that's all locked into a should-be-illegal monopoly by Time Warner). I used to be a Verizon customer, but after I got married my wife and I started shopping around for better service plans and chose Sprint because they offered the most for the money out of all 4 carriers. Plus, Sprint has unlimited mobile to mobile, so we use like, no minutes a month at all. That, plus the unlimited everything else and good customer service we have received have kept us on Sprint. So, when the time comes for us to upgrade, I'm hoping for news of a webOS phone on Sprint, but if not, I may be going to something else because I'd rather leave webOS than Sprint at this point. I'll not like leaving webOS very much, but I'll get used to whatever else I end up with and hope for webOS's return to Sprint eventually so I can jump back.
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    I guess the Pre2 wasn't on the monthly spiff bonus that time.
    IMO, this is exactly the problem. If you're not incentivizing salespeople, they won't push your device. HP should pony up whatever dough is necessary to get carrier sales reps to push webOS handsets. The Veer and Pre3 need to have the highest spiffs of any phones on the sales floor if HP expects to move them. Sadly, we've seen they won't sell on their own merits.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    This exactly the attitude HP needs to counter if they want people to buy into their ecosystem. People were willing to put up with AT&T because it had the iPhone. People wanted the experience of iOS and were willing to pay an extra premium (in $ and in dropped calls) for it. Years back, Apple even decreased the sales price of the iPhone while making AT&T increase the monthly cost, yet people still bought the iPhone.

Apparently, webOS has no such following (at least among Sprint users). I, for one, will gladly have two fewer beers per month so that I can experience webOS on a Pre3. I guess some people don't find webOS worth even that much.

Maybe I'm an exception or something, but the price & pay and the value I get from my service will almost always be my #1 factor. I wanted the iPhone since it came out in '07, but I was not willing to pay that much for the phone nor the monthly plan. I'm still not willing to pay more for a monthly plan, and deal with the data caps from other carriers (regardless of the phone or 'OS).

If I needed an iPhone or particular smartphone for work or business purposes, then I'd get it without a problem. Since I don't, I'm good with Sprint & webOS. If Sprint doesn't get the Pre 3, then I'm good with my FrankenPre 2 for now. The only way I'll leave Sprint is if there service goes to crap, and/or they jack their prices up to the same levels as other carriers.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Seems pretty simple to me, I pay less and get more with Sprint. Not only do I pay less overall, but I get Sprint Nav included, and all cell calls included (not just Sprint to Sprint), and Sprint TV included, and unlimited text included, and unlimited roaming included...

Then there's the customer support that's second to none. Also, while I never have signal troubles or dropped calls while on Sprint network, I often have dropped calls while roaming at work on Verizon. I suppose you could counter that where Verizon has lousy service, Sprint has none, but to me if you can't keep my calls you can't keep my business. Maybe Verizon would benefit from being better rather than bigger?

Finally, so Sprint can't give me TV at home, neither can Verizon where I live, and that's why God made DirecTV!
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    I know I'm the minority on this board. I'm a pre plus user on VZ. I love VZ, I used to work for VZ and I don't plan on switching. . . So my question is why do so many webos fans scream that the Pre3 and such need to make it to Sprint. Sprint has not supported webos since its launch and they dont really have much else to offer over VZ except maybe better price points.

If you love webos so much...why not just switch to VZ....sprint doesn't seem to be doing much to support WEBOS....why the dedication?
    Well, I do like WebOS a lot, but I also like Sprint and dislike Verizon. And Sprint is cheaper.

1) Sprint is cheaper: Not only is the monthly data plan cheaper and unlimited, but Sprint has never nickeled and dimed me. The Sprint Pre came with a built-in navigation program and the GPS could be freely used by other applications. The Sprint Pre allowed me to use any MP3 I wanted as a ring tone. In general, Verizon has taken the stance of "let's lock down anything extra and then charge the customer to unlock it", and Sprint hasn't.

2) I like Sprint: I've been with Sprint for about 15 years, and they have given me excellent customer service. When I have had a problem, I have been able to call them and get it resolved. Their service is good enough, their bills are transparent. What's not to like?

3) I dislike Verizon: Verizon is my home phone carrier, and has been my ISP from time to time. I HATE dealing with Verizon. I was a member of the class action suit against them when they decided (without notifying their customers) to block all email originating from outside the US, on the grounds that they thought it was spam. I was trying to coordinate an international event that year, and wondered why my British counterpart never returned my emails. We got FIOS from Verizon. They decided to run the wire ALL THE WAY AROUND MY HOUSE, rather then trying to run it more directly. In doing so, they cut through my in-ground irrigation system. They noticed that they'd done this, because they "fixed" it by smearing some soft rubber goo on the cuts. They didn't notify us, however, so I discovered it when I turned it on and no water flowed to my uphill shrubs. It took a while to diagnose the problem, it took time to order the parts to fix the problem and for them to be shipped (during which time I had to carry gallons of water uphill to water newly transplanted shrubs) but the worst part was when my husband called Verizon to ask for compensation for the damage. They didn't actually say "no". Instead, they kept him on hold for an hour before telling him that the person he needed to talk to wasn't available but would call him back. Needless to say, they never called back. After three rounds of this, we canceled our ISP service with Verizon and switched to Comcast, the only other option, and also an unpleasant company to do business with.

Anyhow, we may return to Verizon for ISP and phone, because we lack a good option. But there are other options for cell service, and I don't see any reason to do business with Verizon if I don't have to.
    All that being said, I might lust for the Pre 3 enough to change carriers for it. But I might not. We'll see. I haven't lost all hope of a Sprint version, yet.
    I want to echo davim00's sentiment. I too am a Sprint user in the Triad, NC area, and around here Sprint is by far the best mobile carrier by a landslide. AT&T service around the triad is a joke...I carry an AT&T Blackberry for work, and the 3G coverage and speeds are horrible and I get tons of dropped calls. Everytime I pull the thing out it is either in 1x mode or says searching for service. Ugh. Verizon coverage here is great, but when you compare Vz and Sprint feature for feature (Sprint - unlimited everything included, Sprint TV, Sprint Navigation, free mobile to mobile, etc. Vz - a la carte plans, bandwidth caps) and throw in the 25% discount I get through work, there is no way I can justify switching to another carrier regardless of how much phone lust I have. So I will be on Sprint regardless of how much phone lust I have.

I have never understood the iPhone ****** mentality where they were willing to settle for a crappy carrier to get a certain phone. I know plenty of folks who carry the iPhone, and given the crappy service AT&T has around here, it amazes me that they are willing to pay top dollar for such lousy service. No phone is worth that kind of hassle.

I love my Pre minus and think WebOS is by far the best phone OS out there. So while I do hope that Sprint comes through with the Pre3, I can't see jumping ship from Sprint to stay with the Pre. If I can make my Pre minus last (or get me some FrankenPre2 goodness), then so be it. But if not, I guess I will end up moving to an Android phone like so many of our WebOS bretheren. I hope it does not come to that, as I have used Android, and while it has come a long way and is a really good OS, it still does not match WebOS in my opinion.

As a side note, I do enjoy showing my Verizon and ATT friends how much they can save by moving to Sprint. Given how much Sprint offers and the value they provide, it still suprises me they are the number 3 carrier. I am thinking that the lack of a true flagship phone was the main thing that hurt them...ATT had the iPhone, Vz had the Droid, and Sprint had the Pre. Wonder how different things would have looked if the Pre launch was not botched as bad as it was....
    It's funny to hear those who say Sprint treats them good or gives them good service. Nothing since the Pre minus and no indication if they'll ever carry another webOS device. I wouldn't say that's good service. In fact, for those reasons I would never switch back to Sprint.

BTW...AT&T is about the same as Sprint in cost. In some instances, it's cheaper. There's also that insurance factor. Apple's warranty is good enough to not need it. I found with Sprint, you better pay for it if you want their support. I can get 25% discount on either carrier.

Tiered data issues only apply if you use a lot. But you also get data and voice at same time, better 3 way calling, a-list, faster 3G, and the ability to switch SIM cards.
    Cardfan...I think it boils down to your mileage may vary. While I can concede the data and voice at the same time perk that AT&T offers, the rest of the 'benefits' you list do not apply to AT&T service here in my area. The 3G speeds are a joke (assuming you can actually get 3G, 50% of the time I am 1x), 3 way calling is only as good as the voice quality you get which is horrid here (no use in doing a 3 way call only to have it drop), much more expensive plans (I currently pay around 85.00 a month for two Sprint phones with unlimited everything except voice - 1400 minutes a month there, includes Nav, TV, and unlimited web). And the switching of SIM cards...if I were a iPad/iPhone user, I would not be too happy about the whole SIM card thing...

What it boils down to for most folks is what carrier makes the most sense for the area they primarily reside. So here Sprint is by far the best choice. But if Sprint has crappy coverage in your area, then no amount of cheap plans or cool phones will make that make sense for you. I am not saying AT&T sucks everywhere, but it does suck big time here.

One other thing...I disagree with your logic behind equating what phones a company carries to the level of customer service. What phones they stock is purely a business decision, and has nothing to do with how I view how they treat me as a customer. That would be like me getting mad at McDonalds for not carrying pizza. If I want pizza, I go somewhere else. Customer service is how they treat me as a customer and how they handle my issues as they arise. And Sprint has always done a great job there in handling any billing disputes, issues with my equipment, or handling changes to my plan. An example....when the Pre first came out, I was not eligible for an upgrade, but my wife was. Sprint worked with me to get me the upgrade on my wife's phone, then transfer the numbers around to where I got the Pre as my phone. In the rare times I have had an issue, they treated me well, took care of the problems, and threw me a bone in the form of a discount that month on my bill or free accessories. That is why I say they give me good customer service.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast