1.    #1  
    As far as we know, the CDMA Pre3 would be a world phone with an additional GSM radio.

Does anyone here have any experience with Verizon or Sprint world phones, do they usually lock the SIM slot as well? Or do they offer any unlocking options?

In most of the places I frequent in the US, the CDMA carriers have better coverage; but I also go abroad from time to time. I am hoping for a CDMA phone that I could pop in a pre-paid local GSM SIM whenever I am out of the country. It'd be great if the Pre3 could fulfill that dream
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    As far as we know, the CDMA Pre3 would be a world phone with an additional GSM radio.

Does anyone here have any experience with Verizon or Sprint world phones, do they usually lock the SIM slot as well? Or do they offer any unlocking options?

In most of the places I frequent in the US, the CDMA carriers have better coverage; but I also go abroad from time to time. I am hoping for a CDMA phone that I could pop in a pre-paid local GSM SIM whenever I am out of the country. It'd be great if the Pre3 could fulfill that dream
    By the very nature that it's a world phone, it would be dumb to lock the SIM. Then it's not a world phone. A true one means you can take it to any GSM country and use their SIM cards without worrying of locking.
  3.    #3  
    I've read somewhere that Verizon locks theirs, couldn't find any info about Sprint world phones so far.

I guess Verizon world phones are more meant to be phones that they could charge you that over priced roaming fee where ever you go. But I'm still on my launch day Pre on Sprint, hope Sprint would treat us better in this regards.
    It would be stupid to lock the SIM, since it is a World Phone, the reason of the sim slot is to use the phone in places with no CDMA carriers. And also it is impossible to lock the SIM of a CDMA World phone, to whom would it be locked to?
    All the Verizon world phones I've looked at have had the SIM locked. How it works is that you are roaming on GSM carriers that have agreements with Verizon and then pay whatever rate their roaming agreement is for to Verizon on your monthly bill.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    IIRC they lock the sim to force you to roam on O2 or other partner networks in other countries.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    My work Blackberry Storm 2 came from VZW with a Vodafone SIM card already installed.
    I am curious about this too.

For other people that have a Droid 2 world phone here at the office, they have always had to hassle with calling the corporate Verizon rep and then getting the “international” package added to their plan for the trip and then call again after getting back and get it removed. Always seemed like such a pain even though the pricing isn’t too bad.

I’ve always suggested they look into the feasibility of just being able to get a pre-paid SIM when they are over-wherever, but I don’t think they ever did look into it.

-Suntan
  9.    #9  
    I guess Verizon phones are all locked to Vodafone SIM cards. I have read of some Verizon customer service guy offering credit to buy a new unlocked dumb phone, but no offer to unlock the existing "world phone".

Here's to hoping that Sprint does it differently.
    Apparently you can unlock previous world phones if you try hard enough...

unlock verizon world phone - Google Search
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Apparently you can unlock previous world phones if you try hard enough...

unlock verizon world phone - Google Search
    Right, pretty anything locked can be unlocked. I'm not from US and it seems to me that CDMA phones can be purchased for less money on Ebay etc. than GSM phones, so I may try to buy one somewhere in January next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    All the Verizon world phones I've looked at have had the SIM locked. How it works is that you are roaming on GSM carriers that have agreements with Verizon and then pay whatever rate their roaming agreement is for to Verizon on your monthly bill.
    So which is cheaper, locked or Unlocked SIM?
    Also which phone number shows up when you dial under both?
    I was hoping HP would be able to sell the unlocked world phone, guess this means HP would only be able to sell the unlocked GSM version whenever it is released for AT&T... Doesn't matter much to me at this point, but it could in the future.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Verizon will unlock after 6 months, they are initially locked.
    I sell verizon phones and all the blackberrys and droid 2 globals and droid pro phones I've sold all have Verizon SIM cards for international roaming. I've never seen a Vodafone SIM in a Verizon phone right out of the box.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    I sell verizon phones and all the blackberrys and droid 2 globals and droid pro phones I've sold all have Verizon SIM cards for international roaming. I've never seen a Vodafone SIM in a Verizon phone right out of the box.

Wouldn't the "VZW sim" have to be locked/licensed to a carrier since VZW doesn't do GSM? I think that is what people are talking about.... Please correct if I am incorrect.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Wouldn't the "VZW sim" have to be locked/licensed to a carrier since VZW doesn't do GSM? I think that is what people are talking about.... Please correct if I am incorrect.
    I think what people are saying is that Verizon doesn't do GSM but they have roaming agreements for GSM with companies outside the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I think what people are saying is that Verizon doesn't do GSM but they have roaming agreements for GSM with companies outside the US.
    ^ this

The BlackBerry Storms offered by Telus and Bell were all locked, those had a UMTS radio in addition to a CDMA radio.

As far as I understand the "world" phones Verizon offer all are locked as well.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here