Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    it could be 4g no one can say yet.Nobody knew if the veer was goinng to 4g but it is.So I thinks its possible.
    the Veer wasn't and is, so the P3 could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    the Veer wasn't and is, so the P3 could be.
    The Veer isn't on Verizon and is equally as 4G as first believed. ATT is labeling HSPA+ devices as 4G the same as T-Mobile. The Veer is *not* an LTE or WiMAX device. I will say this again:

The Pre 3 in this CDMA filing is not 4G by Verizon's or Sprint's definition of 4G and will not be marketed as such. This does not preclude a possible 4G version in the future that will necessitate a new FCC filing, but *this* phone being discussed in this thread is not 4G.

ATT will likely call their Pre 3 a 4G device just like they did with the Veer. Verizon and Sprint will not market this phone as 4G, however, as it is only capable of EV-DO in North America.
    I have to agree a poster above. If you have a phone still using only 3G within a year's time, it's going to look a little outdated. Although because the US is slow in upgrading it's high speed networks all over due to refusal to spend the money, another poster also has a point about 4G being a joke too. In the US, it is. When you fool consumers into thinking 3.5G is 4G, you know there's a problem. Also 4G is no where near everywhere.

But the CDMA networks seem better at making true 4G progress so if the CDMA Pre 3 has no 4G, will it be worth it to stay with the phone for the next 2 years? I'm guessing many US GSM users will "accept" HSPA+ as 4G, because they have already. AT&T and T-Mobile have never really been taken to task officially for advertising 3.5G as 4G. Except for when AT&T didn't even have the speed advertised and even then they skated. But you can't do that kind of fudging on CDMA. The phone either has a 4G radio or it doesn't. So will you keep a 3G phone for the next 2 years while others keep releasing 4G phones, but you still have to pay the same data rates without benefit of the speeds?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I have to agree a poster above. If you have a phone still using only 3G within a year's time, it's going to look a little outdated. Although because the US is slow in upgrading it's high speed networks all over due to refusal to spend the money, another poster also has a point about 4G being a joke too. In the US, it is. When you fool consumers into thinking 3.5G is 4G, you know there's a problem. Also 4G is no where near everywhere.

But the CDMA networks seem better at making true 4G progress so if the CDMA Pre 3 has no 4G, will it be worth it to stay with the phone for the next 2 years? I'm guessing many US GSM users will "accept" HSPA+ as 4G, because they have already. AT&T and T-Mobile have never really been taken to task officially for advertising 3.5G as 4G. Except for when AT&T didn't even have the speed advertised and even then they skated. But you can't do that kind of fudging on CDMA. The phone either has a 4G radio or it doesn't. So will you keep a 3G phone for the next 2 years while others keep releasing 4G phones, but you still have to pay the same data rates without benefit of the speeds?
    Good point. With real-time video streaming becoming more and more the norm, data speeds will become more important.

Yeah but ALL carriers can benefit from LTE (LTE ~ GSM World) as it's GSM carriers who will have the easiest time evolving methinks.

What bugs me is that I can't get consistent 3G now, and I live in a decent sized metropolitan area. I can't say this is the case EVERYWHERE, but when it does get better, I won't worry about 3G or 4G, I will worry about my battery. The lack of consistent bandwidth is currently the only thing preventing my phone from dying after a few minutes of watching streaming videos, haha.
    Isn't there a rumor of veer getting a cdma radio around august, that would make seven devices, So IMO I think that they mean different devices all together, if that rumor even has any substance to it.

Despite 4g being faster, if the Pre 3 is 3g only (and comes to Sprint) I will still get it. The reason I don't care for 4g is the battery life it gives. Smartphone's already have terrible battery life, and a 4g radio makes it worse.

Most people I know who have an Evo, switch the 4g off & only use it occasionally because of this. The people I know who do take advantage of 4g use extended batteries (something the Pre 3 can't do because of the non-removable back). I would like to take advantage of 4g, but until they can improve the battery life, I'll be fine with 3g.
    I am confused;the HP site lists the Pre3 battery as:

"Removable, rechargeable 1,230 mAh battery."

How is the battery removed,if the back is "non-removable?"

HP Pre3 Introduces the New Look of Business for the 24-hour Life
    So if this CDMA world version of the pre 3 does only go to verizon would there be a way to get it to run on sprints network?
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post

[url= Pre3 Introduces the New Look of Business for the 24-hour Life[/url]
    "The page you selected is not available"
    Quote Originally Posted by brolivo View Post
    So if this CDMA world version of the pre 3 does only go to verizon would there be a way to get it to run on sprints network?
    No. CDMA carriers will only activate devices that were built for their network, which they can determine by the ESN.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Just got done with sprint they said its coming on sprint yeah some time in summer beginning
    I am getting ansy, but also frustrated! I started with the pre plus with the hope it would have flash in the near future, was let down. I got excited for the veer, but just a little too small for my taste. Still sitting her with my pre plus and hearing about the pre 3 and not knowing when we will have it or if i can even have it on ATT. I know the bands match ATT, great news, but I want the phone to be sold by att, I do no want to get one unlocked. So again..I sit here and wait.. as I always have for my favorite OS phone. Not even knowing for sure that I will be able to use my upgrade for it (full price is just not my thing) I just wish some for sure news would be released cuz this waiting game is getting very old. I almost gave up and went Android, especially since there are apps available for it that we do not have in our market. If release is not this summer, I may go to the other side. sadness.

***Also, ATT 4G would be band 700, I don't see this in the specs, nor do I see LTE so it appears this will be a 3G phone if bound for ATT.
    Last edited by sunni198; 06/11/2011 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Despite 4g being faster, if the Pre 3 is 3g only (and comes to Sprint) I will still get it. The reason I don't care for 4g is the battery life it gives. Smartphone's already have terrible battery life, and a 4g radio makes it worse.

Most people I know who have an Evo, switch the 4g off & only use it occasionally because of this. The people I know who do take advantage of 4g use extended batteries (something the Pre 3 can't do because of the non-removable back). I would like to take advantage of 4g, but until they can improve the battery life, I'll be fine with 3g.
    A friend of mine, who is on Verizon (I'm on Sprint) wanted my advice on a smartphone for him. He wanted it that week, so no waiting for Pre3. After research, I turned him onto the "Droid Charge", which he bought that very day.

He liked the phone quite a bit, but was ready to return it over DISMAL battery life. The night before he was to return it, we were in a bar together when it suddenly occurred to me: Duh! turn off 4G.

He now loves his phone, and only turns on 4G when he is in a situation where he needs it.

Unfortunately, I cannot get him to0 use SWYPE, which I LOVE and pray it will come to the TouchPad!!!
    "Hello. My name is Knox, and I'm addicted to webOS patches!"
    Quote Originally Posted by sunni198 View Post

***Also, ATT 4G would be band 700, I don't see this in the specs, nor do I see LTE so it appears this will be a 3G phone if bound for ATT.
    AT&T will likely market the Pre 3 as 4G as they have done with all their HSPA+ devices. They don't have any LTE phones yet.

However, this is the wrong thread for you. The CDMA Pre 3 is for Verizon (and possibly Sprint).
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    And with an unlocked GSM radio for every GSM carrier in the world?
    Whether the GSM radio comes locked or not, remains to be seen. Also, it wouldn't fit *every* carrier in the world (specifically, not the North American ones, at least).

Regardless, the CDMA phone being talked about in this thread will not work on AT&T and is unlikely to be sold by anyone except Verizon (and possibly Sprint) and whatever CDMA network is in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post

HP Pre3 Introduces the New Look of Business for the 24-hour Life
    Think you're confusing the Pre3 with the Veer. Veer is the one with the non-removable battery.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    If one and the same phone supports both CDMA and GSM/UMTS, it must have both radios right. As such, it is not 'just a CDMA phone' what's being discussed here I guess?

Would be awesome if the GSM radio came factory-unlocked asa tasty side-dish.
    And it will work on every carrier, except AT&T and some Aussie Outback carriers.

I could be wrong of course. I'm not that good at this frequency mumbojumbo.
    Can almost guarantee the radio with be locked. It's not the first time the CDMA carriers sell "world phones" that have CDMA and UMTS/GSM radios. The BlackBerry 8830 and Storm were world phones. They were all locked.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    If one and the same phone supports both CDMA and GSM/UMTS, it must have both radios right. As such, it is not 'just a CDMA phone' what's being discussed here I guess?

Would be awesome if the GSM radio came factory-unlocked asa tasty side-dish.
    And it will work on every carrier, except AT&T and some Aussie Outback carriers.

I could be wrong of course. I'm not that good at this frequency mumbojumbo.
    Pretty sure it won't work on any North American GSM carrier since they all use the same bands as either AT&T or T-Mobile, neither of which will work with the CDMA Pre 3. Consider the CDMA Pre 3 a CDMA phone that will actually work overseas (mostly).

I'm not sure how Verizon treats their 'world phones' as far as whether the GSM radio is unlocked initially or whether they unlock it when you tell them you're going to travel. Not that having be unlocked would do anyone any good while in North America, anyway.
    Interestingly enough, the CDMA Pre 3 does support US GSM frequencies. Usually in a CDMA world phone, you will see only the overseas GSM frequencies. There is a chance it could work on AT&T or T-Mobile. The GSM radios on CDMA world phones are provided unlocked.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast