Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Clearly this phone was designed for a CDMA carrier with international plans in mind. I did verify with Sprint that they still have the international plans with hybrid phones, though not many, so this is a good sign for the early adopters looking for upgrade.

It is odd that both carriers are still being quiet about this phone so maybe HP is releasing this as an unbranded CDMA, then with this though will VZW and Sprint activate unbranded devices?

Who cares about 4G, its a very bad joke on mobile devices for the next year or so.
    This is not at all accurate. If you are in a 4G area, especially if you tether your phone, 4G (even if it's only really 3.5G) is no joke at all. And I use Sprint 4G. You clearly haven't seen any speed tests of Verizon's 4G which is showing 40Mb down in some locations.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Well, they can cheat this if they need to:

1. Pre 2 GSM
    2. Pre 2 CDMA
    3. Veer GSM
    4. Pre 3 GSM
    5. Pre 3 GSM/CDMA
    6. TouchPad
    !!What a positively halting thought! LOL. I certainly hope not. I'm hoping slab, 7" tablet and a surprise? Hopefully a Pixi styled phone?
    NNJ
    Yeah Im pretty sure the Pre 3 will come to both carriers VZ and Sprint, as well as the Slab for sprint Q3 early Q4 so ima just wait and see.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    According to the other blogs out there, Pre3 is a world phone for VZW. (look at the model ending with "V").
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    This is not at all accurate. If you are in a 4G area, especially if you tether your phone, 4G (even if it's only really 3.5G) is no joke at all. And I use Sprint 4G. You clearly haven't seen any speed tests of Verizon's 4G which is showing 40Mb down in some locations.
    Ive played around with the Thunderbolt, was getting ****-poor battery life with LTE enabled and even worse with tethering working. Unless you plan on using the phone predominantly as a mobile hotspot and carry your charger around, it aint worth it. Cannot tether long enough to care with all the tether plans soooo bloody limited and expensive. Ill stick with Freetether app on my Pre2 and not worry about getting pummeled in the wallet
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by corpx View Post
    According to the other blogs out there, Pre3 is a world phone for VZW. (look at the model ending with "V").
    The GSM version's model number ends in "N" - which carrier is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    The GSM version's model number ends in "N" - which carrier is that?
    Think it stands for NA (North America) since the device has GSM comms board that works on 3G 850 - 1900 freq's (initially may be locked to AT&T if released on that carrier, but the frequencies are North American 3G and in general will work on a majority of North Americian carriers (ATT, Rogers/Fido, Bell Canada GSM, Telcel Mexico)

Keep in mind the VZW world phone's GSM 3G freq's are 900 - 2100, so it will not offer 3G connectivity on North Americian GSM networks.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmoe88 View Post
    So I noticed that the 3G UMTS bands are 900 Mhz and 2100 Mhz. So this obviously won't work on AT&T's network, but T-Mobile's 3G network used the 1700 Mhz/2100 Mhz spectrum, so will this pick up T-Mobile 3G in the 2100 Mhz spectrum?
    T-Mobile USA requires 1700/2100 support for UMTS. It uses 1700 for uplink and 2100 for downlink and I'm fairly certain the phone needs to support both (UMTS band IV).

I really wish more than just Nokia was putting pentaband 3G radios in their GSM phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    If this is the same phone as the one on the homepage then I believe this phone is coming to verizon. Seeing as they have been providing world phones lately.
    This doesn't tell us anything. Sprint has always had world phones. Currently they offer 4:

BB Tour 9630
    BB Bold 9650
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Motorola ES400S
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    The Pre3, according to FCC Test Report has a 1230mAh battery. How does that compare to the Pre2's battery?
    NNJ
    Who cares about 4G, its a very bad joke on mobile devices for the next year or so.
    If i am going to have this phone for 2 years (thanks, Sprint Premium), then it becomes a big deal to me...seeing how my town has lots o' WiMax coverage all over right now. I don't think it is a dealbreaker, but i would feel better about my purchase if it was included.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    The Pre3, according to FCC Test Report has a 1230mAh battery. How does that compare to the Pre2's battery?
    its bigger

but not buy a huge amount, but still bigger the pre is 1150mah so more like a 9 percent gain.

but 9 percent can make the difference if your day brings you to the 20% mark usually, a 9% bump would put you in a more comfortable zone for those less than usual days.

but its a bigger screen on the 3 and more pixles, and it has a higher clock speed

but it is running an upgraded OS due to be more efficient in battery than the 1.x versions most people run, and the device is using a chip with an architecture that does not lend direct comparisons based on clock speed for battery drain purposes.

in the end, all we can do is hope all the buts are in our favor
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    So...the lack of any sort of 4G-related talk in this filing means no 4G radios? Or can those be somehow added later., but before the phone hits the market?
    it could be 4g no one can say yet.Nobody knew if the veer was goinng to 4g but it is.So I thinks its possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    T-Mobile USA requires 1700/2100 support for UMTS. It uses 1700 for uplink and 2100 for downlink and I'm fairly certain the phone needs to support both (UMTS band IV).

I really wish more than just Nokia was putting pentaband 3G radios in their GSM phones.
    Yea I read that on wikipedia a few days ago. Oh well. It would have been cool to have 3G capability in the USA for both CDMA and GSM, oh well.
    There are a couple of things that keep getting repeated here and elsewhere that need to be cleared up.

First is this myth about the significance of the last letter of the model number. The majority of Verizon phones do not end in V. No more than Sprint phones end in S.

Second is that there are plenty of world phones on Sprint's network as well as Verizon's.

Third is this supposition that Verizon is being assumed to be the favorite for the Pre3 because someone heard it somewhere. Ok, what's the proof? Well? Has anyone given any facts to back up why exactly they think that?

HP and Sprint partnered only three days ago to launch DataPass on Sprint's 3G network. These two companies are very friendly and very active right now. What activity has anyone seen between Verizon and HP? Palm has had a decades long relationship with Sprint and there's nothing that would indicate that's ended. Nothing.

We know the Pre3 is CDMA and is 100% Sprint compatible so again give me a solid, factual reason why Verizon is seen as the most likely carrier?

This is all most likely a moot question anyway as it's likely to be on both carriers if HP is smart but I wanted to point out these statements that keep getting made with no facts behind them.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    It's a world phone, which can work on CDMA (Verizon and Sprint) networks, or GSM networks. The problem I think, is not which network it is coming to, the problem is how do we get it unlocked?
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jdacats View Post
    There are a couple of things that keep getting repeated here and elsewhere that need to be cleared up.

First is this myth about the significance of the last letter of the model number. The majority of Verizon phones do not end in V. No more than Sprint phones end in S.

Second is that there are plenty of world phones on Sprint's network as well as Verizon's.

Third is this supposition that Verizon is being assumed to be the favorite for the Pre3 because someone heard it somewhere. Ok, what's the proof? Well? Has anyone given any facts to back up why exactly they think that?

HP and Sprint partnered only three days ago to launch DataPass on Sprint's 3G network. These two companies are very friendly and very active right now. What activity has anyone seen between Verizon and HP? Palm has had a decades long relationship with Sprint and there's nothing that would indicate that's ended. Nothing.

We know the Pre3 is CDMA and is 100% Sprint compatible so again give me a solid, factual reason why Verizon is seen as the most likely carrier?

This is all most likely a moot question anyway as it's likely to be on both carriers if HP is smart but I wanted to point out these statements that keep getting made with no facts behind them.
    Verizon because of
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...verizon-t.html

and

Verizon Branded HP Pre 3 Spotted - Gadgetian
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    it could be 4g no one can say yet.Nobody knew if the veer was goinng to 4g but it is.So I thinks its possible.
    The Veer has 4G by AT&T's (and T-Mobile's) definition. The Pre3 will have the same.

However, 4G according to the GSM carriers is merely having HSPA+ capability. On Verizon and Sprint, the definition of 4G is either WiMAX or LTE -- both of which have different radio technology that would have shown up in the FCC filing if they were supported.

Unless there is another CDMA Pre3 yet to come through the FCC, it will not be a 4G phone on any carrier except AT&T (neither Pre3 has T-Mobile's bands) -- and it will need air-quotes there.
    Ive played around with the Thunderbolt, was getting ****-poor battery life with LTE enabled and even worse with tethering working. Unless you plan on using the phone predominantly as a mobile hotspot and carry your charger around, it aint worth it. Cannot tether long enough to care with all the tether plans soooo bloody limited and expensive. Ill stick with Freetether app on my Pre2 and not worry about getting pummeled in the wallet
    From that standpoint, I understand what you are saying. I will continue tethering my Epic 4g, running a custom rom (Frankenstein Froyo) that gets monumentally better battery life than my Pre did (not to mention my Epic with Sammy's god-awful stock rom). And Wimax antennas are actually more efficient, draining less battery, so long as they have a strong signal. The big issue is that the signal isn't strong enough in enough places. The fact remains that leaving 4g out IS a compromise. Even if you had the Thunderbolt, nobody would force you to run 4g, but the option is there for the times that you desire it.

If this device was 4g, and had a dual-core processor, I would be back to WebOS in a heartbeat, even if it meant jumping ship to a new carrier. I love WebOS, but you just have to make so many compromises in hardware to use it. SD support would be nice as well.
    Forgive me if Im wrong of if this information has been debunked. But doesn't the FCC document physically say VERIZON on page 22 of the test report.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast