Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems like everyday AT&T is announcing a new phone for their network. Yesterday it was the Samsung Infuse 4G. We already know about iphone. They have or will release four Windows Phone 7 by this summer.

The Pre3 is not an event device and is not being marketed like the Droid. I just don't see folks lining up to get the pre because AT&T has soo many other options.
    Last edited by Dvigilante1; 05/07/2011 at 12:16 PM.
    no carriers need webOS... sad but true. HP has done nothing to paint webOS products as "must have" for consumers, and as a result, they arent must have for carriers...
    +1
    hp didn't buy palm to be in the phone business. sad but true
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    They will have to be if they want push touch to share for the other webos hardware. The phone will be the core of this feature.

Make that marketing dept earn their pay already HP!!!!
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I don't think it's possible for HP to make a 'must have' phone at this point. By that, I mean that too many people have heard complaints, both large and small, from original Pre- owners. What HP can do, is release a solid lineup of good hardware, which from what I've seen they are on the right track. Keep the quality up, bleeding edge tech isn't really necessary so long as it works well, and make sure they listen to the consumers, make changes that we, as buyers, want to see. Beyond that, just make sure that they have a friendly presence in the developer arena, help them out as much as they can to bolster the webOS market with more quality apps. If they can do all this, then maybe next year, we will have spread enough word-of-mouth that a lot more people will want a webOS device. You know what they say, don't you? Word-of-mouth is the best advertising!
    I do think the carriers need webos of course because its gives them another option OS wise. We already see RIM's market share continue to plunge, and will do so. Iphone is the iphone, Wp7 is a great OS (i have a htc arrive myself currently and will say it is second only to webos). Android will start to taper off, as what most of us are saying about a year ago that the oversaturation that they are doing will hurt them in the long run. Android made a big jump, last year because no other OS beside Apples was out and WP7 didnt come until nov. Now people with not only have choices, but better ones IMO. Ive had all OS;s out there and if you put android along side WP7, and Webos its very inferior by far, as well as reading somewhere that applications is not as a big thing as most think. They did show that most people download rate is high in the first month or two upon buying a phone then drasticly drops afterwords. As well as the more applications in a market place, the worse it is for a quality developer with a quality app to get recognized, or gets downloaded. When HP starts to roll out Webos, you will see carriers pick it up fast dont worry about that, and as you can see AT&T thinks they themselves need webos (offering the Veer the weaker of the new products coming out, and making it exclusive) so we all should too, and continue to be patient.
    def NOT true, connected devices and a cloud services is going to be soley based off of smartphones, then tablets, then to pcs. HP knows phones, and tablets are the wave of the future (as you can see they have the veer, pre 3, and a slab already in works or launching soon) if they didnt care about phones it would not be mentioned at all, and would not have competitve specs. So no once again as HP stated too, they are not abanding the phone market period.
    IMO it would be better than releasing the Veer!! Pre 3 actually can compete with some of their other phones, at a lower price. The Veer makes the iPhone 3GS they sell for $49 look more enticing. Tiny smartphone without ports, but huge AT&T bill! How many really will go for that besides webOS diehards?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperIT View Post
    I don't think it's possible for HP to make a 'must have' phone at this point. By that, I mean that too many people have heard complaints, both large and small, from original Pre- owners. What HP can do, is release a solid lineup of good hardware, which from what I've seen they are on the right track. Keep the quality up, bleeding edge tech isn't really necessary so long as it works well, and make sure they listen to the consumers, make changes that we, as buyers, want to see. Beyond that, just make sure that they have a friendly presence in the developer arena, help them out as much as they can to bolster the webOS market with more quality apps. If they can do all this, then maybe next year, we will have spread enough word-of-mouth that a lot more people will want a webOS device. You know what they say, don't you? Word-of-mouth is the best advertising!

exactly very well said, and I think this is what HP is doing right now restoring the creditablity of WEBOS first, then worry about making super phones and what not later. Just get it out there, get people talking about webos again, and this is what HP can do with the channels they have access to.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    IMO it would be better than releasing the Veer!! Pre 3 actually can compete with some of their other phones, at a lower price. The Veer makes the iPhone 3GS they sell for $49 look more enticing. Tiny smartphone without ports, but huge AT&T bill! How many really will go for that besides webOS diehards?
    I agree with you, in all the products so far this one to me seems to be a waste. Its ok to have a small phone, but by today standards it should be no larger then 3.1 inches, and at that size nowadays only a full touch screen.
    hp bought palm to be in the mobile business... not to be limited to the phon business
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    hp bought palm to be in the mobile business... not to be limited to the phon business
    Exactly. =D
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    This is 100% my issue with the veer. I've had many conversations with ppl thinking about buying their first smartphone....and believe it or not, I KID YOU NOT, almost all of them like the bigger ones, because they think "If I'm gonna pay $90 a month, I better get a big phone that can do more"

It is (almost) a fact that ALOT of ppl think
    Big phone = it can do more
    Smaller phone = it does less.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    exactly very well said, and I think this is what HP is doing right now restoring the creditablity of WEBOS first, then worry about making super phones and what not later. Just get it out there, get people talking about webos again, and this is what HP can do with the channels they have access to.
    what better way to restore credibility than to release phones that people want?
    when motorola needed to restore credibility, they released the Droid!

this is Palms second shot at restoring credibility. First they blew it will the shaky Pre-, now they are likely going to blow it again with the niche veer.

not to say that the veer is a bad product, it just doesn't scream "we are here to be taken seriously"

my guess is that HP wants to get people talking about web OS, by creating something unique. the veer is definitely that when it comes to size. But IMO, the problem is, they are taking attention from the OS itself and highlighting something that will not benefit the brand in the long run. If they were going to take this approach, i think it would have made more sense to at least release the touch pad around the same time.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/07/2011 at 12:48 PM.
    Of course at&t needs the pre3, becaue I need the pre 3 and im on at&t!

As for the competiion, I currently have the top or one of the top smatphones for each os (pre plus, moto atrix, iphone 4, htc surround, blackberry torch). Webos is still my favorite os ui wise, it still needs some polish and features but the ui is still the best of the bunch. However it doesn't have the hardware nor the support to really allow it to shine, and my worry now is if it ever will. Iphone is second but the hardware and support push it up to the top of my list and windows phone is 3rd behind that. Android, even on incredible hardware like my atrix is solidly at 4th, and really the only reason I think its so high up in" mind share" is because of the hardware these manufacturers are throwing at it.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    The Veer, like many said, is a neat little phone but should not by any means be their "webOS is back!!" phone.
    So short-sided. The future will not be decided on May 15.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    unfortunately it seems hpalm's fate has already been sealed. And there coming months practice has not changed those cards.

I'ma really need them to get on the move and get this ball rolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    So short-sided. The future will not be decided on May 15.
    there's no denying that. But we are curious about HP's strategy. We are all webOS fans and we want to see HP be successful with it, so its painful to watch them follow questionable decisions with more questionable decisions.

From day one, we kept hearing a troubled Palm talk about how they were sticking with their road map as far as device releases are concerned. Looking back, their road map has been THE issue. They just keep making underwhelming devices.

Palm Pre: rookie mistake. Palm Pixi: wasn't the pre underspec'd enough?
    Palm Pre+/Pixi: more RAM, same hardware problems. Pre2: what the Pre+ should have been. Mojo/Enyo/2.0 debacle: o_O? And now the Veer. Its like they are TRYING NOT to make a hit device.

I'm no executive, but you would think that at sometime around the release of the Pixi, someone upstairs would have said, "our current road map isn't aggressive enough to keep up with today's market." they should have changed their road map instead of following it so bullishly.

so we know the future won't be decided on may 15, 2011. But we're frustrated because since June 06, 2009 Palm has made a habit of being 6 months late in addition to ignoring market trends.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/07/2011 at 07:30 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast