Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    When announced the Pre 3 was presented as being a phone for business users. But will webOS be updated enough to justify this claim?

I'm not a big power user but I do use my Pixi (webOS 1.4.5) to keep on top of my work and home schedules and work e-mail. It works OK for this but certainly doesn't work as well as my PalmOS devices did in the PIM apps and e-mail is elementary at best. For me the biggest concerns are:

1) The calendar app doesn't provide search, it doesn't have an agenda/list view, it limits options for setting event reminders, and (this could be the deal breaker for me) I've read that webOS 2.x only syncs a few months worth of events with Google Calendar.

2) The e-mail app doesn't open PDF attachments (or rather the included PDF viewer doesn't), you can't select multiple e-mails to delete/move, and there is no e-mail threading.

3) And the other desperately missing business app for me is document/spreadsheet editing.

Now I'm only a light business user but if I'm worried what are you heavy business users thinking about the Pre 3 and it's potential as a business phone?
    I'm a business user and right now my Pre minus is working just great for what I need it to do.

1. Calendar search is available in the homebrew section
    (however I don't know if it will work on WebOS 2.x.x).
    2. Have never needed that function to select multiple emails but then again, I've never used PIM apps.
    3. Not sure if the office app in WebOS 2.x. is going to allow editing.

The Google sync for only 3months is what concerns me most. I'm not sure what they were thinking (other than trying to make the calendar faster) but this is a poor way to implement such a plan. I'm hoping something can be done on the Google side or the homebrew guys can think of something better that allows us a larger time frame. A one year window would have sufficed for me.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I believe you will have to wait to see- however, we do know, or, should believe, that there will be an office suite developed for the TouchPad's debut, and since the Pre 3 will debut after that, I would presume that it will be available on that, as well.

I can open up Pdfs in emails and attachments when they come to me in pdf format, and Im running 1.45 on a Pre+, so I have no idea why you are experiencing that issue. Email folders would be nice - I believe that the new TP email app is a preview of WebOS 3's email implementation, which the PRe 3 will have as well, and, you shouldnt have much to complain about with that - by most accounts of those who have seen it in action, that email application is probably the best of any mobile platform available today.

Business users want 1 thing, primarily: reliability.

After that, they need performance and security, and then, see #1 above.

With that vertical keyboard, the 3.6" capacitive screen, the 1.4 ghz cpu, and webOS 3, I think it stands an incredibly good chance at being a huge enterprise device, not to mention a smartphone for those individual users who really rely on them heavily as a part of their daily activity.

We just have to wait to see the reality of the device, when it hits the shelves this summer - specs are one thing, but, actual use/experience is really what will dictate is success or failure in the market.

Last edited by LCGuy; 05/06/2011 at 02:41 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

There's a patch that supposedly fixes the google sync issue, although I haven't tested it.

"Google first sync 1 yr back 4 yrs forward"

webOS-Patches Web Portal
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I'm a business user and right now my Pre minus is working just great for what I need it to do.

1. Calendar search is available in the homebrew section
    (however I don't know if it will work on WebOS 2.x.x).
    is that a patch or another app?
    #3 concerns me the most. I got suckered into believing the Pre+ would get full document editing and we know how that turned out. At the moment I'm not sure if I'm going to bother to wait until September 21st, but when I do get a new handset, document editing is a must out of the box.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    I agree with LCGuy - there was a bit of talk on and after 2/9 that there would be some apps developed to provide an office suite for the TP and P3. Considering HP's huge focus on business over the past ... well, forever ... I think this is one thing we can reasonably expect they won't mess up.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Encryption please!
    For those who just use MS Exchange, sure the current phones work as will the Pre 3. However, companies, like mine, who have to provide special access and provide apps for accessing email, etc. - no, not until a year or two after there is a significant user base to justify the cost and expense. Therefore we are at least four years away from that reality.

When webOS first came out, my company was very excited about and announced plans for supporting it (even before they did the iPhone). However, within 6 months they saw the writing on the wall and dropped all plans for supporting.
    Coming from the support and security side of things, I will not recommend webOS until it has the following:
    • Full encryption
    • Complete remote configuration capability
    • Ability to limit application installation by category and by name
    • Built-in VPN capabilities

My colleague is an Android enthusiast to say the least (he builds and installs updated firmware 1-3 times a day), and even he is saying that Android, as it stands, does not meet the needs that we have for the above. Right now, we are recommending only Blackberry and iOS.

I hope that HP keeps these things in mind. An open platform is great for home use; an unsecured platform is a poor choice for business use.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    An open platform is great for home use; an unsecured platform is a poor choice for business use.
    Worth repeating. Its the big conundrum in Android and going to factor in WebOSs long term adoption as well.

Add in "playing nice with carriers" and the writing is on the wall: play along and go away.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barebuns View Post
    Encryption please!
    Can't say I understand all this, but take a look at the HP Pre 3 page:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre3/

The section that says "Equipped with Business Essentials" says it has "data encryption." It also says you can "access files securely from your company"s intranet with VPN support."

There is a footnote 1 that says you must be in wireless coverage area. Again, I don't understand everything being discussed in this thread, but HP is advertising at least: encryption & VPN.
    Last edited by Mike5; 05/06/2011 at 05:30 PM.
    For one webos will have vpn.It will be on the touchpad and probably the pre 3 as well.And if you look at the email app showing enyo.You will see that it is redisigned and you can select multiple messages to delete.They made a video,you can find it on youtube.
    It depends on the VPN support provided. If it's L2TP and IPSec, that's a good start, but it's not enough on its own. It will need SSL VPN support from companies like Cisco and Juniper to allow it to really take off.

Likewise on the encryption: it matters how it's done. Apple has done it right by encrypting everything and handling wipes by deleting the encryption keys. Blackberry can encrypt everything, but it's not a default. But in both cases, all of the data can be encrypted, and that setting can be made such that the user cannot override it, which is as it should be in business.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    There also has to be an easy, intuitive way to ensure that all documents that come as attachments to e-mails are deleted. For anyone working in a profession where information is subject to confidentiality agreements, this is crucial. You should be able to do this directly from the phone.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Better battery life (read: way better)
    Better signal reception
    Robust exchange calendar support
    Robust gmail calendar support
    Fully customizable call/text/event notifications
    Lock screen/home screen customization (pending calendar item)
    Removable memory card
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/06/2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: removed trolling comments
    Well I have no issues managing 2000+ users, 850+ servers, and WAN infrastructure to tie it all together from my trusty PreClassic. Two full Exchange accounts, 2 full Gmail, Y!, and an IMAP to communicate with over 1000 contacts is effortless. (not to mention shaming iPhone and Android users with the speed and efficiency of multitasking.

When I'm in meetings others don't even pull out their devices anymore because I've embarrassed them to many times already. I used to get a kick out of it but now it means I can't just drift through meetings any more... :/ Ah, well... Lol.

I do miss DTG and QO editing. I used to save time going back to my desk but GDocs has come to the rescue on an occasion or two.
    As far as the .pdf and office document support... the device does come with QuickOffice, and that developer has stated it will offer a full version for webOS besides the basic.
    Global Posts
    2,159 Global Posts
    All of the companies/government jobs that do not allow camera phones! I work on DOE property. Camera phones are restricted. The company people (salaried), union employees, and subcontractors all use a Blackberry. There are hundreds of BB's around here. Multiply that across the country at the other facilities and you have a large customer base that you can't market to.
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    2) The e-mail app doesn't open PDF attachments (or rather the included PDF viewer doesn't), you can't select multiple e-mails to delete/move, and there is no e-mail threading.

3) And the other desperately missing business app for me is document/spreadsheet editing.
    Pre 3 with 2.x will have QuickOffice on it so PDF and Office Documents and speadsheet editing are good. But as far as email delete/move and email threading go I'm not sure. I do do believe that Enyo may have email threading and I know for sure you can multi-action (like deleting) on emails. So the Pre3 will have most of that up there solidly done my the start of next year if HP keeps on track.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast