Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    It depends on the VPN support provided. If it's L2TP and IPSec, that's a good start, but it's not enough on its own. It will need SSL VPN support from companies like Cisco and Juniper to allow it to really take off.
    Right now with WebOS 2.1, they support Cisco AnyConnect SSL and VPNC IPSEC.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  2. #22  
    i disagree with those that dont think it will be a big business device. HP is the biggest buisness affiliate in the industry right now, as well as BB currently is loosing market share drasticly, and have been for over 2 years now. People are switching from BB to more advance smartphones like IOS, and Android and with HP having a much bigger channel and brand name worldwide (bigger then Apple look at the standings) they will have access to more businesses period. HP will also continue to work with Microsoft on future projects (which leads the industy in OS usage with Windows 7) like windows 8, and applying the OS still with a sort of version of Webos on all their PC offerings. All HP will need to do is make sure these smartphones and tablets utilize all the basic and some advance business portions like office, exel etc, and they will captialize on the market not only fast, but very effiecently too. HP is in the driving seat when it comes to having access to many different channels that Google, and Apple do not have access to, and with the partnership of Microsoft still strong will put HP, and Webos in a very good position IMO.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't see HP having much of an advantage in business channels with these mobile devices. It's not as if every business owner and IT manager doesn't know which tablets and smartphones are available in the market. Their employees are asking to use iPhones and iPads on a daily basis.
    Yeah, right, we all KNOW that its the employees that drive the IT bus in business.

    NOT!

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Yeah, right, we all KNOW that its the employees that drive the IT bus in business.

    NOT!

    Haha. Exactly. I'm going to ask management at my organization for a Pre 3 and Touchpad. I'm sure they'll give me what I ask for; right after they stop laughing at me and telling me that IT has the final say.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  5. #25  
    If the Blackberry truly tanks, a not-too-expensive, not-too-big device with a great keyboard, large screen, and best-in-class multitasking may be very attractive to businesses.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Yeah, right, we all KNOW that its the employees that drive the IT bus in business.

    NOT!

    I don't have corporate experience in that regard, but I recall reading that Apple has really turned the world on its head with the iPhone in the corporate space, by creating just that situation: employees demanded they be able to use their iPhones for work, so the whole model was turned upside-down.

    The sense I got was that companies going at it "the old way" by trying to sell to business and trickle down to consumers were hopelessly stuck in yesterday.

    Is that not the case?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Coming from the support and security side of things, I will not recommend webOS until it has the following:
    • Full encryption
    • Complete remote configuration capability
    • Ability to limit application installation by category and by name
    • Built-in VPN capabilities

    My colleague is an Android enthusiast to say the least (he builds and installs updated firmware 1-3 times a day), and even he is saying that Android, as it stands, does not meet the needs that we have for the above. Right now, we are recommending only Blackberry and iOS.

    I hope that HP keeps these things in mind. An open platform is great for home use; an unsecured platform is a poor choice for business use.
    The Pre 3 does provide VPN access. That is a trick they got from the homebrew developers. Also, if you have a Pre 2 or Pre + there is a patch for VPN.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I don't have corporate experience in that regard, but I recall reading that Apple has really turned the world on its head with the iPhone in the corporate space, by creating just that situation: employees demanded they be able to use their iPhones for work, so the whole model was turned upside-down.

    The sense I got was that companies going at it "the old way" by trying to sell to business and trickle down to consumers were hopelessly stuck in yesterday.

    Is that not the case?
    HP has recently won contracts for several huge businesses to completely revamp their IT departments. One of these contracts is for NASA. And if you think they will leave WebOS out of these improvements you are very mistaken. HP has the knowledge, resources, and manpower to put WebOS in the drivers seat of every IT department in the Fortune 500 list. Plus, with the way they are innovating wireless printing and their cloud services I don't think it will be very long before every doctor's office, government office, and a large majority of corporations are running HP products. Including WebOS.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by lightprevails View Post
    HP has recently won contracts for several huge businesses to completely revamp their IT departments. One of these contracts is for NASA. And if you think they will leave WebOS out of these improvements you are very mistaken.
    Watch your tone there, champ. I'm a sensitive guy.

    HP has the knowledge, resources, and manpower to put WebOS in the drivers seat of every IT department in the Fortune 500 list. Plus, with the way they are innovating wireless printing and their cloud services I don't think it will be very long before every doctor's office, government office, and a large majority of corporations are running HP products. Including WebOS.
    I certainly don't disagree that it's possible. Your scenario doesn't really address the point I was making, but I hope this comes to pass.

    Welcome to the forum.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Watch your tone there, champ. I'm a sensitive guy.



    I certainly don't disagree that it's possible. Your scenario doesn't really address the point I was making, but I hope this comes to pass.

    Welcome to the forum.
    lol sorry... bad wording. Just stating an opinion.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by lightprevails View Post
    lol sorry... bad wording. Just stating an opinion.
    No worries dude. I seriously am excited about the notion of webOS in spaaaaace. And, you know ... in every employee's hands, ever.
  12. #32  
    Martin;

    Just found this on HP's web site.. looks like they are, absolutely, thinking along the lines you have suggested below:

    Palm USA | Palm webOS Phones for Business | Get more done.



    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Coming from the support and security side of things, I will not recommend webOS until it has the following:
    • Full encryption
    • Complete remote configuration capability
    • Ability to limit application installation by category and by name
    • Built-in VPN capabilities
    My colleague is an Android enthusiast to say the least (he builds and installs updated firmware 1-3 times a day), and even he is saying that Android, as it stands, does not meet the needs that we have for the above. Right now, we are recommending only Blackberry and iOS.

    I hope that HP keeps these things in mind. An open platform is great for home use; an unsecured platform is a poor choice for business use.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  13. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #33  
    If the Pre 3 is going to be a business phone they need a much better e-mail client and better calendar. I'm sure they'll be releasing new core apps with the Pre3.
  14. klynn's Avatar
    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
       #34  
    My concern is that they haven't really improved either the calendar or the e-mail client in any updates so far, not even, I believe, in webOS 2.x (in fact, I've read that they've basically crippled the calendar by limiting the Google sync to about 3 months worth of information). Universal Search/Just Type still don't work for the calendar.

    Like a lot of PalmOS users of the past, I've always been severly disappointed in the PIM stock apps with webOS. If webOS 3.x fixes this then I think Pre 3 will be a competitive business phone. But if they remain as lame as they currently are then I think HP's claim that this is ready for business is just another condescending line from a company that either doesn't understand or simply doesn't really care about what business users need to be productive with their mobile device.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Yeah, right, we all KNOW that its the employees that drive the IT bus in business.

    NOT!

    Employees absolutely drive the IT bus. Believe me, I have wished many times in my career that I could limit what the user can direct, but the reality is that many of them have a great deal of power over which applications, which vendors, and which technologies are deployed. When enough mainstream employees ask about something, managers ask us about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Just found this on HP's web site.. looks like they are, absolutely, thinking along the lines you have suggested below:

    Palm USA | Palm webOS Phones for Business | Get more done.

    I'm still not seeing anything about data encryption or the extent of remote configuration capabilities. "Powerful security policies" doesn't really mean anything, as the range of possibilities for the primary mainstream devices runs from fair (Android) to good (iOS) to very good (Blackberry) to excellent (iOS with certain additional back-end software that allows the server to record every SMS, MMS, and e-mail sent or received, as well as tracking phone calls in detail).
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    I'm still not seeing anything about data encryption or the extent of remote configuration capabilities. "Powerful security policies" doesn't really mean anything, as the range of possibilities for the primary mainstream devices runs from fair (Android) to good (iOS) to very good (Blackberry) to excellent (iOS with certain additional back-end software that allows the server to record every SMS, MMS, and e-mail sent or received, as well as tracking phone calls in detail).
    It's under the "Simple to Deploy" tab:

    Palm USA | Palm webOS Phones for Business | Get more done.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  17. jhn
    jhn is offline
    jhn's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #37  
    Does the Pre 3 tasks sync with Exchange 2003.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    snip..
    Likewise on the encryption: it matters how it's done. Apple has done it right by encrypting everything and handling wipes by deleting the encryption keys. Blackberry can encrypt everything, but it's not a default. But in both cases, all of the data can be encrypted, and that setting can be made such that the user cannot override it, which is as it should be in business.
    Where did you find the information that Apple encrypts everything? According to their link, data encryption is not a default either: iOS 4: Understanding data protection I could be wrong, but my understanding is that once a user choose to put a password on certain IOS devices, data encryption is enabled, but only for mail and attachments. It is up to developers to include encryption in their applications.

    Limitations of Data Protection in iOS 4
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    snip.. (not to mention shaming iPhone and Android users with the speed and efficiency of multitasking.
    When I'm in meetings others don't even pull out their devices anymore because I've embarrassed them to many times already. I used to get a kick out of it but now it means I can't just drift through meetings any more... :/ Ah, well... Lol..
    Friendly advice, chill out at work, nobody likes their nose constantly rubbed, good way to make enemies and loose coworker support.

    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    snip...HP having a much bigger channel and brand name worldwide (bigger then Apple look at the standings) they will have access to more businesses period. HP will also continue to work with Microsoft on future projects (which leads the industy in OS usage with Windows 7) like windows 8, and applying the OS still with a sort of version of Webos on all their PC offerings. All HP will need to do is make sure these smartphones and tablets utilize all the basic and some advance business portions like office, exel etc, and they will captialize on the market not only fast, but very effiecently too. HP is in the driving seat when it comes to having access to many different channels that Google, and Apple do not have access to, and with the partnership of Microsoft still strong will put HP, and Webos in a very good position IMO.
    1: What channels will HP have, that Apple, Google will not? One thing I noticed working at various Fortune 100/500 companies is a lot of the bigwigs, the ones making 350K or more, run Macs at home. This is how I see Apple products sneak into the enterprise, the people not in Tech but are in a position to "force" IT to make it happen. They after all run the company.
    2: I don't know, does this have any meaning:
    Bloomberg: Apple Brand Value at $153 Billion Overtakes Google for Top Spot, WPP Says I never heard of this BrandZ. Are they legit or just a smoke screen?
    3: I've only worked in a few different Fortune 100 companies. The first thing they did when the got new equipment is wipe the vendor's build and put on their own. Thus no webos. They even get their builds certified by Microsoft. I've seen companies send their build to the vendor so when the computer arrives, the companies build is already on it. I am not saying this is every company, just stuff I've seen in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't see HP having much of an advantage in business channels with these mobile devices. It's not as if every business owner and IT manager doesn't know which tablets and smartphones are available in the market. Their employees are asking to use iPhones and iPads on a daily basis.
    Exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Yeah, right, we all KNOW that its the employees that drive the IT bus in business.
    NOT!
    It appears you don't have enough experience with various companies. There are certain lines of businesses within certain kinds of companies that make obscene amounts of money and their user base can absolutely influence IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Haha. Exactly. I'm going to ask management at my organization for a Pre 3 and Touchpad. I'm sure they'll give me what I ask for; right after they stop laughing at me and telling me that IT has the final say.
    That's a shame. It appears you do not work for a forward looking IT department.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I don't have corporate experience in that regard, but I recall reading that Apple has really turned the world on its head with the iPhone in the corporate space, by creating just that situation: employees demanded they be able to use their iPhones for work, so the whole model was turned upside-down.
    The sense I got was that companies going at it "the old way" by trying to sell to business and trickle down to consumers were hopelessly stuck in yesterday.
    Is that not the case?
    Yes, that is the case. It appears an above poster is in "the old way" situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by lightprevails View Post
    HP has recently won contracts for several huge businesses to completely revamp their IT departments. One of these contracts is for NASA. And if you think they will leave WebOS out of these improvements you are very mistaken. HP has the knowledge, resources, and manpower to put WebOS in the drivers seat of every IT department in the Fortune 500 list. Plus, with the way they are innovating wireless printing and their cloud services I don't think it will be very long before every doctor's office, government office, and a large majority of corporations are running HP products. Including WebOS.
    The drivers seat is determined by the business, not HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Employees absolutely drive the IT bus. Believe me, I have wished many times in my career that I could limit what the user can direct, but the reality is that many of them have a great deal of power over which applications, which vendors, and which technologies are deployed. When enough mainstream employees ask about something, managers ask us about it....snip
    Exactly. Especially in large forward thinking corps.

    General question to anyone on the thread. Those of you who are now using a webos device to have Exchange push email to your device how is your battery life as opposed to not having email pushed. Do you find it drains faster, stays the same?

    Second question, for those who answered yes to the above, have you ever used a Blackberry? I'm looking for a comparison of webos with push as to Blackberry in regard to battery life.

    Last question, does the Pre/Touchpad have hardware level encryption?
    Thanks
    Last edited by sinsin07; 05/09/2011 at 08:40 PM.
  19. #39  
    "It appears you don't have enough experience with various companies. There are certain lines of businesses within certain kinds of companies that make obscene amounts of money and their user base can absolutely influence IT."

    Wrong about the experience with various companies.

    You can have a different opinion based on whatever experience you have, but, I stand by mine, with MANY years behind me,
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  20. #40  
    i posted something similar in another thread but i read this about encryption, something i'm not very knowledgable. But there's something called FIPS 140-2 certification which i guess is a high government standard of security that blackberries have and either apple has or is close to meeting. Apple seeks to better iPad, iPhone security via FIPS 140-2 compliance

    i think such strong certification is probably something HP needs to get for it's phones to be accepted in many government and high security environments. I believe the lack of this is why so many government employees are required to have Blackberries.


    if anyone is interested here is a short slide show about phone security. mostly about iphones vs android phones but informative to me. iPhone Tops Android in Enterprise Security, Management - Enterprise Applications - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

    i think if they can work out some of these security concerns (and the other things already mentioned by others) they could get business traction. But if not who knows.

    PS: doing my searches i couldn't find anything that said webos had this level of security. Another thing i read somewhere was it's an issue for Android do to the fact that the code is so open to alterations. I guess having many versions open to changing is some sort of security issue.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions