Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Ideal scenario: Buy a Pre3, get a free veer.
    Why would you need a free Veer if you had a Pre3?
    I think a free off-contract Veer with a Touchpad is a better idea. Not happening though.
    I'd say coming in at $149 (same price as the Shift or Epic) would be a fair -get 'em out in people's hands- price. $99 would be even better, and then at that time drop the Veer to $49, assuming we're looking at 3 months from today until a Pre3 launch.

For everything the loyal Pre- users have had to go through for the past 24 months, I fully expect our "make it right" to involve substantial discounts on the Pre3 (I'm talking like take one home for $50) or Buy a touchpad and get a Pre3 Free kind of deal, or buy a Pre3 at the $149-199 contract price and get a TouchPad for $200 or something equivalent.

Maybe we'll even see something like a $50 credit to be applied for apps and also some freebie accessory packages like Touchstone and/or bluetooth headset etc.
    I could see it being $150 or maybe even $200 for a bit and price reduction in less than a year.

The new Sprint webOS phone will be $200.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    150 max. 99 would be killer and would steal some noise away from Android.
    I think it would be foolish for a company with an almost non-existent smartphone mindshare who is coming back into the game to come with a really high price point. Anything over $200 is bad business for this phone. Besides, HP wants everyone to become interconnected with the TouchPad and printers (among other things), so why come in high with the first big piece of their puzzle?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Why would you need a free Veer if you had a Pre3?
    I think a free off-contract Veer with a Touchpad is a better idea. Not happening though.
    For a family member. Early on a lot of places were doing a droid + droid eris or something like that and helped it get a lot of sales momentum...
    Anymore than 200 and I'll just get the HTC Trophy with WP7
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    What is the Pre3 missing to make it worth $200? Sprint has more than one 1Ghz snapdragon phone that sells for $200.
    Well I mean, Look at the EVO 3D, upcoming iPhone 5 & the other Dual Core Androids... Those phones will def surpass the Pre 3 in specs at least (which is what commands the price of $200-$250.

Don't get me wrong, I still see the Pre 3 as the best phone coming on the market, esp coupled w/ webOS...but I still think for this hardware cycle, its in HP's interest to sell ALOT... so Sell 'Em Cheap!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    With the iPhone at $200 price point, they're crazy to sell it for anything more. I'd expect HP to price it at $150 to get some volume...
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    $150.00 is the sweet spot
    Yeah, I think $150 is a reasonable price, and any more than $150 would be too much at this point for a Pre3.

When you start talking $200, you're looking at 4"+ high resolution screens.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Well I mean, Look at the EVO 3D, upcoming iPhone 5 & the other Dual Core Androids... Those phones will def surpass the Pre 3 in specs at least (which is what commands the price of $200-$250.

Don't get me wrong, I still see the Pre 3 as the best phone coming on the market, esp coupled w/ webOS...but I still think for this hardware cycle, its in HP's interest to sell ALOT... so Sell 'Em Cheap!
    So is $/Mhz the best metric for what a phone should be priced at?
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I bet it's $199 for the 16GB and $149 for the 8GB. That's a very competitive price for what the Pre 3 packs into the phone. Everyone is talking about dual core phones running on operating systems not built for a dual core processor. Specs do not matter! It's the user experience! If they can get webOS on the Pre 3 to be snappy and a good experience then $199 is a very fair price.
  15.    #35  
    ok.. I sarted the thread to get your thoughts. wow.. some nice discussions. here are my thoughts -
    Pre3 would be priced at 150. In my opinion, thats a killer price. price + a different form factor attracts some new folks. that coupled with touchpad will form the foundation for h/palm's return. But still not an iPhone killer or android killer by any means. but a good entrance into the market. nothing spectacular. importantly, people would start talking about the new OS on the streets.

Come holiday season, hp will come out with another device - may be pre4 may be a different form factor (slab), that will have gyro, dual core? 32 gb? NFC? will be thinner, and by then will have a much larger app offerings. My friends....that will attract more people as they would have heard of webOS awesomness by then by word of mouth, ads, etc.... and thats going to be an iphone killer - atleast the smartphone charts will see some dramatic changes.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    I say it needs to be $150 unless its a 4G device... If so I will gladly come back to WebOS. If not, then I decidedly will be using my upgrade for the Nexus 4G a little tempted by the Evo 3D (yes gimmicky 3D)

Dont forget tho, there is slab WebOS device coming out (thats supposed to be out this year) but probably not until late this Winter early next Spring and that will probably be in the $200s' range but no way I am going to hold out that long!

But WebOS will always hold a soft spot in my heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I bet it's $199 for the 16GB and $149 for the 8GB. That's a very competitive price for what the Pre 3 packs into the phone. Everyone is talking about dual core phones running on operating systems not built for a dual core processor. Specs do not matter! It's the user experience! If they can get webOS on the Pre 3 to be snappy and a good experience then $199 is a very fair price.
    But if the Evo 3D dropped at $200 how many sales reps are honestly going to go after Pre3 sales... to that fact how many people (Non-WebOS users) are going to even get the Pre3 when the Evo 3D is going to be undoubtedly HEAVILY marketed... more so than the Pre3. HP needs to get their name out there and I think that the $50 price point will make a huge difference!
    Last edited by H-Cubed; 05/05/2011 at 12:46 PM.
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    So is $/Mhz the best metric for what a phone should be priced at?
    In all reality, the way the phone will be compared to others in the market determines the pricing....and if it doesn't match spec-wise compared to the competition it should be cheaper.

Further more, HP should try to get it as cheap as possible to increase Market share.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    In all reality, the way the phone will be compared to others in the market determines the pricing....and if it doesn't match spec-wise compared to the competition it should be cheaper.
    I guess that's what I'm getting at. I don't see why the Pre3 is considered so under-spec'd compared to its competition. I would be willing to bet that 99% of people:

- don't know what's faster: 1GHz dual core or 1.4Ghz single core
    - couldn't tell the difference between 800x480 resolution and 960x640
    - will never use an hdmi port or any other niche feature that people compain the Pre 3 doesn't have

Besides apps, what do the other phones coming out this summer have (that most people actually recognize and care about) that the Pre3 doesn't have that make them worth $199 but the Pre3 only worth $149?
    If I had to take a guess based off of the $99 pricetag on the Veer, I would say:
    $150 Pre 8GB
    $199 Pre 16GB
    $200 Unanounced full touchscreen device

Most phone manufacturers make tiers similar to this for their different devices. The different dollar amounts are an easy way for the consumer to determine which model is the "better" model. Now, of course most people in this forum realize that assumption isn't necessarily true, but it is easy to lead the typical consumer to that conclusion using this method.
    Remember how quickly the Pre, pre-plus, pixi, and pixi plus became $49.99 and even free phones?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast