Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looks like O2 UK isn't going to be continuing their relationship with webOS, spotted the following tweet from them when checking to see if they'd answered any questions about webOS lately. Guess like I'll be changing carriers or buying unlocked when my current contract is up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    Looks like O2 UK isn't going to be continuing their relationship with webOS, spotted the following tweet from them when checking to see if they'd answered any questions about webOS lately. Guess like I'll be changing carriers or buying unlocked when my current contract is up.
    well on gadget show it was with o2 uk...either way I will probably be buying it unlocked as I dont want to change my contract
    I'm with kel101, I'll be getting a pre3 off contract as soon as I can. I am actually with O2 now with my Pre- but you couldn't pay me to stay with them. The coverage is appalling, by far the worst I have ever had, I'll be going back to Orange/T-Mobile next which finally has acceptable coverage in my village.

In fact, it is probably time to cancel my contract...
    Wonder if it wil be coming to any other networks?

Don't really want to change from o2 but if its the only way of getting a Pre3 then im away
  5. H
    Don't really want to change from o2 either as in my experience they have the best coverage where I live.

Hopefully other retailers (such as carphonewarehouse or mobiles.co.uk) will sell it on o2 unless a UK carrier gets an exclusive.
    I don't really want to pay the extra money it will cost off contract either, and then plus my o2 contract each month.

Hopefully a solution will appear so I don't have to go to android or back to the iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I'm with kel101, I'll be getting a pre3 off contract as soon as I can. I am actually with O2 now with my Pre- but you couldn't pay me to stay with them. The coverage is appalling, by far the worst I have ever had, I'll be going back to Orange/T-Mobile next which finally has acceptable coverage in my village.

In fact, it is probably time to cancel my contract...
    +1
    At least O2 customers got the ye or ne now where the rest of the world still does not know.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Worst news ever. I work for O2 (not in mobile though) so I get a nice staff discount on my phone contract. Have the Palm Pre and was hoping to get the Pre 3 in the summer. Guess I'll have to buy a sim free handset which will cost a fortune.

Gutted.
    I'm not sure what i'll do,
    there is no way i'm paying say,400ish for another
    beta phone.
    especially when there is a slew of dual core phones on the way.
    I will for sure be keeping my pre as i have a feeling it's going to become a collecters item.
    In the UK at least.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    To me it was obvious right from when o2 germany demanded 2.1.0 for pre pluses (keep their customers hungry for more?)while o2 uk was and still is at 1.4.5.

No surprise that o2 germany is going to sell pre3 while o2 uk ignores palm.

No way I am going to spend 4-500 for a sim free Pre3, especially when its going to be so outdated when released.
    Last edited by FunkiBluDawg; 05/04/2011 at 05:24 PM.
    ^ Really? 1.4GHz is going to be "so outdated" by the summer?
    clock speed is not the only benchmark.
    5 mega Pixi camera..no 1080p video is hardly among the top players. Hdmi maybe? No..nothing..
    I also want my phone to last couple of years interms of evolving tech.
    So no NFC or LTE when most manfacturers and networks are racing towards it.
    Late to the party again.
    I'll give you the LTE point, but it'd be my argument that the others (HDMI out, >5 MP cameras) only pander to tech-heads. NFC is swiftly being incorporated into handsets but as of yet there are only a handful of places to actually make use of it.

The Pre3 will be on-par with a lot of high-end devices when it launches. While it won't be ahead of the curve, it also won't be behind.
    Maybe HPalm is busy tweaking the hw to be ahead of the curve as we speak. :-) and tempt O2 uk, before the iphone5 !
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    5 mega Pixi camera..no 1080p video is hardly among the top players. Hdmi maybe? No..nothing..
    Late to the party again.
    no uk carriers support LTE and the auction for the spectrum isnt till next year.

the off contract prices are normally ok once you look how much cheaper the sim only tariffs are over the 2 years.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Anybody think they're going to carry the Veer?
    Last edited by tommce; 05/05/2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: spelling
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
    True.

5 mega Pixi camera..
    That is plenty. After some point (3-5 MP) you don't get better picture quality under normal circumstances (normal sized picture print, Facebook, flickr upload, etc...). In fact - depending on chip size/quality - the quality can go down with higher resolution.

Do you plan to make pictures for wall sized posters? If the answer is yes you might actually get some use out of > 5 MP cameras. But even then quality of the optics and chip probably make that a fail on a phone. Simple specs are not everything. I take a 3 MP camera with good optics and quality chip and software over a 8 MP spec-bragging camera any day.

With the extreme high resolutions your pics just take longer and waste more space. You won't get better pics.
    If you need high-res high-quality pics - get a solid dedicated SLR camera.

no 1080p video
    Well - if that is important to you ...
    If I were interested in making HD videos - I wouldn't use my phone for that.
    And for quick shaky fun videos you want to upload to YouTube/Facebook/show a friend on your phone - you really don't need HD and then the high resolution only eats up space needlessly.

is hardly among the top players.
    Fast CPU, physical keyboard, good form factor, webos, multitasking, notifications, open, integration with a zillion other devices and your PC.

It *is* a top player depending on personal preferences.

I don't like Apples annoying closed garden, our-way-or-the-high-way attitude.
    I'd be OK with an Android but like webos much better.
    To me webos on a decently specced phone is a top player. The Pre3 is more than decently specced.

Hdmi maybe? No..nothing..
    That looks cool on the spec sheet. But hardly anybody will ever use that.
    If it's important to *you* - fine - get another phone that has HDMI. I'll never notice whether my smartphone has HDMI.

I'm with you on that one.

"racing *towards* it" - perhaps - but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $Nexus$ $S$ $is$ $the$ $only$ $phone$ $that$ $has$ $NFC$ $for$ $now$.
    Also there are many techs that were hyped up for a while and then totally failed in the market. We'll have to see whether NFC really catches on.

LTE - yup - there is a lot of competition there now.
    We'll see how the Pre3 compares in practice.

Late to the party again.
    Again?

The original Pre had just about the best hardware available on a smartphone at the time.
    That Palm didn't manage GPU to get 3D acceleration done for webos was not a problem with the hardware specs.

There is this myth that Pre hardware somehow sucks. It didn't and it doesn't.
    And as the the missing 3D acceleration on the original Pre shows - it's not just about the hardware - it's what you get done with the hard-/software combo that counts. And as the IPhone proves - you can get lots of limits on a high-end hardware phone.

But this is very easy. If the hard-/software/app combo on any Android or IPhone look better to you - go and get that. That's why competition is a good thing. You get choices.

My original Pre is doing fine. And by the time the Pre3 comes out I will have got almost 2 years of good service out of it.
    And to me the Pre3 looks like a worthy successor. I'll check on battery life and how it handles - but assuming there are no fails in those areas - I'll get a Pre3.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Seems very unlikely now.

The question is - Will anyone else pick it up? I think people in the UK worry less about switching carriers than our US cousins.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Yes, you're probably right - do you think any one will or is webOS basically dead in the UK
    Last edited by tommce; 05/05/2011 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Bloody spelling again
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast