Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In my opinion it's dead,
    Or we would've heard who's carrying the veer by now.(bad times).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Keep an eye www.buymobilephones.net I used that to upgrade my pre plus to a pre 2 while staying on O2.

So if HP release an unlocked version, I'm sure they will let you buy one with an O2 contract

For me, I am hoping O2 UK change their mind. My Pre- is out of contract at the end of July and the Pre 3 will be my next phone.

Otherwise, I hope there are no exclusives in the UK so we can buy Sim free straight away, then I can pay full price for the phone and change my O2 tariff accordingly. The good thing of that is I can have a month by month contract so I'll be free to upgrade to the next webos goodies when they become available.

Obviously I'm being optimistic here that the successor to the Pre 3 will not take a zillion years to come out
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    In my opinion it's dead,
    Or we would've heard who's carrying the veer by now.(bad times).

Grasping at straws here but it did take a while from the June 2009 US launch until any UK announcement was made........
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
    Oh, just got a tweet from O2 after I asked them to reconsider the Pre3.

"O2: @mike_martyn We offer a range of the best smartphones & although we're not selling Pre 3, we like webOS & are watching what HP do next!"

If they like webOS then why pass up on the Pre 3? Unless of course another carrier has already got an exclusive deal with HP to sell it? Or, they just want to sit on the fence a little longer. Guess time will tell. #hatewaiting
  6.    #26  
    ^Probably due to being burned by the original deal with the Pre they're not willing to take the same chance on another exclusive deal. Still it does suck and I really hope another carrier picks up both the Pre 3 and Veer, they really need carrier support if they want webOS to survive in the UK.
    This is very depressing! I got my Pre- at launch on O2. Now I'm having to sort out getting it sent off to have it's touchscreen repaired (Phantom touches!).
    I was really hoping O2 would have the Pre 3 as I'm due an upgrade in September... Ah well, looks like I'll be downgrading to a SIM Only contract and buying it unlocked.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    This is very depressing! I got my Pre- at launch on O2. Now I'm having to sort out getting it sent off to have it's touchscreen repaired (Phantom touches!).
    I was really hoping O2 would have the Pre 3 as I'm due an upgrade in September... Ah well, looks like I'll be downgrading to a SIM Only contract and buying it unlocked.
    This is exactly my situation - launch day Pre- currently with O2 repair/replace for touch screen failure.

9. H
    Quote Originally Posted by ManicMarvin View Post
    Oh, just got a tweet from O2 after I asked them to reconsider the Pre3.

"O2: @mike_martyn We offer a range of the best smartphones & although we're not selling Pre 3, we like webOS & are watching what HP do next!"

If they like webOS then why pass up on the Pre 3? Unless of course another carrier has already got an exclusive deal with HP to sell it? Or, they just want to sit on the fence a little longer. Guess time will tell. #hatewaiting
    Got the same reply from them myself
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Got the same reply from them myself
    Reads like a PRPRPR $department$ $written$ &$quot$;$No$&$quot$;

Quote Originally Posted by tommce View Post
    This is exactly my situation - launch day Pre- currently with O2 repair/replace for touch screen failure.
    Seems like it's a fairly common problem, If O2 were receiving a lot of calls from people with problem Pre's they probably lost all faith in Palm!!

I'd like to think another network will get it, but I don't think it's very likely.
    Interestingly, somebody has used my app UKRadio on a Pre 3 using webOS 2.1.2
    It turned up in my metrix today.

What makes that relevant to this thread is that my app is only available in the UK app catalog, and only works in the UK (due to the geo-locking of the bbc radio streams). So it looks like somebody in the UK has a Pre 3 and is testing it, can't think why that would be happening unless they are going to release it in the UK in some capacity.
    Actually, I just looked at the Agent information from where it called to my server to get the station database.
    Code:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; webOS/2.1.2; U; es-ES) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) webOSSystem/221.11 Safari/534.6 Pre/3.0
    The 'es-ES' indicates they had their language set to Spanish
    Also, the IP address the call came from I checked on an IP locator and it was from Madrid !!. They're not going have much luck using UKRadio from there !
    Haha, thanks for that expectingtofly. You got my hopes up and then promptly shattered them!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Just FYI, O2 UK have categorically refused to accept that the touch screen failure is just hardware and have insisted that it's damage:£120.00

I'll claim on insurance but actually now quite glad they're not taking Pre3 or, probably, Veer as I can count do the days until I move to some other conniving, robbing money grabbing carrier......

Might just go back to carrier pigeons and semaphore

It is a real shame that O2 UK aren't picking up the Pre 3, but whatever happens I'll be getting one from somewhere.
    If I have to change network it will be a hassle, especially as mine is used for work so I'll be changing all the other users to the new network too.
    I'm prepared to go through that hassle to get the phone I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    To me it was obvious right from when o2 germany demanded 2.1.0 for pre pluses (keep their customers hungry for more?)while o2 uk was and still is at 1.4.5.

No surprise that o2 germany is going to sell pre3 while o2 uk ignores palm.

No way I am going to spend 4-500£ for a sim free Pre3, especially when its going to be so outdated when released.
    Apparently o2 germany isn't going to sell the pre3 either. I wrote them an email a few days ago and just received the answer that they are just going to sell the veer:

Guten Tag Herr ,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.

Wir werden dieses Modell voraussichtlich nicht bekommen, da wir von HP das HP Veer ab Juni in unser Handyportfolio aufnehmen werden.

Eine genauere Beschreibung über dieses Modell finden Sie unter https://service.o2online.de/portal/?$part=PreviewFlow.content.HardwareCatalog.hardwareList.LARGE&contentId=/1/1/4/6&cid=preview&productType=PREVIEW&cids[0]=NewCustomerWebshopPostpaid&cids[1]=NewCustomerWebshopPostpaid&cids[2]=NewCustomerWebshopPrepaid&cids[3]=NewCustomerWebshopPostpaid&cids[4]=preview&productTypes[0]=HARDWARE_ONLY&productTypes[1]=MOBILE&productTypes[2]=PREPAID&productTypes[3]=DATA&productTypes[4]=PREVIEW&selectedRepresentationId=MIDDLE&currentPageNo=0

Wir hoffen Ihnen damit weitergeholfen zu haben, und stehen Ihnen jederzeit gerne für weitere Fragen zur Verfügung.

Freundliche Grüße

Ihr o2 Team
    how about a poll? If O2 dont carry the Pre3, who would you like to change to?

personally I would want Vodafone as we have a suresignal femtocell at work and poor coverage on all the carriers.
  19. H
    Vodaphone seems to have the best SIM only tariff for me. 300minutes+unlimited texts+500mb internet for £15/mo. (Says it is for blackberry but presumably works with any phone)

Will probably switch to that in the unlikely event that no carrier (or no good carrier) has the pre3. o2 Simplicity is an option but seems to work out about £5/mo more expensive and apparently retentions aren't giving out good deals to match competitors at the moment?!
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    how about a poll? If O2 dont carry the Pre3, who would you like to change to?

personally I would want Vodafone as we have a suresignal femtocell at work and poor coverage on all the carriers.
    Grab a sim from www.giffgaff.com, it is £10 a month for 250 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet, and it runs on the O2 network, and if you want more minutes, you can pay a little more a month

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast