1.    #1  
    Hey all. So I've been an iOS user since its debut in 2007, I've been an avid Mac user since 2004. But, after a few years of using the device and simple things going without resolve (damn notifications) I've been searching for a new product. I followed the initial release of the palm pre lightly, but my buddy followed it very closely and had the pre- for a while before getting an EVO. Since then I've been a regular viewer of this site and everything Hpalm. I've never actually owned a device. I did however get ahold of one of my buddies, while we were in Afghanistan for a week (not like he can do anything with it out there anyways). So I just got to tinker with it. I had plans on getting the pre+ once I was back but opted for the Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S)...after 3 weeks I couldn't take the damn freeznig and buds anymore and went back to my saftey net that is the iPhone 4.

So, after watching the big event with HP and the new devices that should be coming (someday) I'm eagerly awaiting my first Hpalm device (Pre3). Basically, what I'm getting at, is how would you rate the overall experience of WebOS compared to iOS? Is there anyone who was a former iPhone user that can provide input? I still enjoy my Macbook Pro but as far as a mobile device I just want something different. I've had an awful experience with Android thanks to the captivate.

Thanks again for viewing and potential input. I really enjoy the community here, the overall loyalty to WebOS is pretty cool too....even though most of you have already bought an android device or are on the last limb of patience with Hpalm. There's still a pretty active community here. Okay, enough fluffing!
    The experience is great. The programs available is lacking.

That pretty much sums it up.

-Suntan
    This community is awesome it may get down sometimes but wait till summer webOS will be the next BIG THING!
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WebOS is alot funner in terms of ease and use compared to iOS but the lack of apps sometimes gets to you. If HP drops the ball with WebOS and the Pre 3 (and hopefully they will release that slab phone) I might go to the new BB Bold Touch or WP7.
    As an operating system I found that webOS had little or no learning curve. I was comfortable with it right out of the box. The user interface is great.

The downside, lack of applications. However, for what I require from a smartphone, it lacks nothing. Well, free turn by turn navigation would be nice.
    You were correct. The webOS / HP-Palm community is first class. Just another webOS benefit.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I've never owned an iPhone but I've got a 1st gen iTouch and an iPad 1, so I'm very familiar with iOS and it has its strengths, namely, the Appstore and the hardware they put it on. I've been a WebOS user for almost a year now, and when I'm using my Pre+ I feel like it's what iOS should be, in a strange way. When I use my iPad/Touch I feel like there's something lacking in the UI but I can't put my finger on it. I'd say the OTA updates are a great advantage WOS has over iOS, I don't need to plug in my Pre+ and go through a 30 minute backup and sync and all the rest of it. I enjoy the discreet notifications on WOS, that's one of the main things that stopped me from getting an iPhone, I don't want a huge blue box popping up over whatever I'm doing showing the whole message and who it's from to whoever is within viewing distance or just when my phone is lying around locked. Visually, WOS is more pleasing than iOS (imo). Those are the out of the box features I like.

I also love the homebrew aspect of WOS. I've jailbroken and heavily customised both of my iDevices but it's a huge hassle, and breaks with every iOS update. With WOS you just flick a switch and install Preware and it's all there, themes, patches, kernals.
    I didn't even consider homebrew. I have patched my Pixi+ as well (not to mention overclocking). Preware is a huge plus.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    I've never owned an iPhone but I've got a 1st gen iTouch and an iPad 1, so I'm very familiar with iOS and it has its strengths, namely, the Appstore and the hardware they put it on. I've been a WebOS user for almost a year now, and when I'm using my Pre+ I feel like it's what iOS should be, in a strange way. When I use my iPad/Touch I feel like there's something lacking in the UI but I can't put my finger on it. I'd say the OTA updates are a great advantage WOS has over iOS, I don't need to plug in my Pre+ and go through a 30 minute backup and sync and all the rest of it. I enjoy the discreet notifications on WOS, that's one of the main things that stopped me from getting an iPhone, I don't want a huge blue box popping up over whatever I'm doing showing the whole message and who it's from to whoever is within viewing distance or just when my phone is lying around locked. Visually, WOS is more pleasing than iOS (imo). Those are the out of the box features I like.

I also love the homebrew aspect of WOS. I've jailbroken and heavily customised both of my iDevices but it's a huge hassle, and breaks with every iOS update. With WOS you just flick a switch and install Preware and it's all there, themes, patches, kernals.
    wow thanks for the good input. I also use an iPad, and I understand what you mean about iOS, even the few weeks I was on Android I felt spoiled with the freedom. If the pre2 was on AT&T I would probably have that already. Really looking forward to the pre3 release. Thanks for all the input everyone!
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Welcome, don't forget to hit the thanks button if I helped I owned various Android phones for a year before I got my Pixi+ and I just got sick of it, it's clumsy, inelegant, always seems unfinished, and always seemed unstable!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony81586 View Post
    wow thanks for the good input. I also use an iPad, and I understand what you mean about iOS, even the few weeks I was on Android I felt spoiled with the freedom. If the pre2 was on AT&T I would probably have that already. Really looking forward to the pre3 release. Thanks for all the input everyone!
    If you have deep pockets you can get the unlocked Pre 2
    I've been a iOS user since the first iPhone came out. Well, in England anyway, and love my macs too, which i've also had for a long time!!!

I think macs are brilliant, and do what i want them to, but the iPhone OS started getting a bit frustrating, in regards to the customisation of it, and the stupid notifications.

I think WebOS is soooo much better at the notifications, which i think is one of the best things about the OS, and also the gesture area.
    Coming from an OS where you have to reach to the top of the screen to go back is a pain. I love that you can have the phone in one hand and feel comfortable using it!!!

Plus the physical keyboard is also great!! much better at typing with keys than with a screen!!! ( fattish fingers )

I still love my iPhone, but webos is a much smoother experience,
    Well you can't compare having a MAC to having an iPhone, totally different OS'es. But from the perspective of connecting your Pre to the MAC, it will be no different then connecting to a PC from the standpoint of transferring to/from.

Due to my job I've had to work with Crackberry, iOS, PalmOS, WebOS and Android. I personally have a Pre- and I have really liked it since day one of getting it. My wife and kids have the iPod Touch which is the same as the iPhone minus being a phone. I got an EPIC for about 2 weeks, I didn't like the size, battery life and I didn't like the way to configure things and really missed the WebOS. What I really like about WebOS is the true-multitasking and being able to minimize running programs and switch. Where the iOS/BB/Android you have multitasking you have to keep going back to the main screen or hold down the button to choose the ones you want.

Then you get down to Apps...I don't know of an App that the others have that I need to have on my Pre- that hasn't been made either in the App Catalog or homebrew, but if there is an App that you need that Android, iOS or Crackberry has that you need then that is where you will need to take that into consideration for your decision.

All of the phones are going to have issues from time to time on not working or sluggish responses, it is those that have it frequently you'll want to avoid.

On the good note you found this site which has fellow users users and likely have either tried what you are trying or have some knowledge to help you out which is important to have...IMHO
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    Well, free turn by turn navigation would be nice.
    Sprint has this; however, Sprint no loner sells a Pre--Pixi only. Hopefully, this will change this summer.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Anthony--notifications are top notch and unintrusive on the Pre & webOS. 3.0, at least on the TouchPad, has even made some improvements.
    Such a great desciption for webOS. That was so well said. The things that set webOS apart from ios and android:

elegance
    smoothness
    finished/polished
    Ive owned a 3gs for about a month and i HATED it everyone, has them and i dont like being like everyone else. I like be different and when i got my pixi plus unlocked and brought it to canada no one has them and you just feel so different and cooler (H) :P ya so i would recommend webOS my favourite OS. Ive also owned android when they were small and i loved it but now everyone has them and ill stick to my pixi plus
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    have a pixi as my main phone, but been playing with an iphone for a while (got a used 3gs from an old coworker), no service and not jailbroken, running 4.3 (not installing itunes, so i wont b updating it anytime soon) using it on wifi only.

i was completely surprised at how often the apps crash on it. dont really have a large amount of apps, about 20-25, all free apps, majority of which i seldomly use... i mainly use it for aim, 4sq, fb, camera and a few games. do not have any music or videos (besides what ive filmed) on it (dont want itunes on my machine, dont even want to put it on a VM, lol)

i really dislike how iOS keeps every single application you touch open at all times, even after powering down and booting back up. i think the way iOS handles "multitasking" is leading to its instability and overall lag that i've experienced so far.. i have a feeling the home button will be failing at some point in time just because its is the one and only way to do anything on the device. single, double, triple home click = lots of wear n tear... i guess thats why ip5 is going to a touch home button (from rumors on the web).

overall feel, iOS is just clunky, i dont like that i have to poke at everything all the time, makes it feel really unintuitive (more so, it makes me feel like a dumb caveman), even tho it was built for ease of use. for me... ease of use, webos is soooo much easier to use. the keyboard makes getting to contacts, applications, searching so much easier than clicking the home button 3 times on iOS (and the other ways u can configure it) gesture area makes one handed operation so much more fluid and complete.

i cant say too much about android, just played with a few of my friends devices briefly... altho ill be getting a nexus one in a few days to get down n dirty with for a while. not to mention ive been extreeeeeeeemely tempted (dont hurt me k?) by the nexus S coming out may 8th for sprint X) lol
    Wow! Thanks for all the information. My lines are all up in June and I'm strongly leaning toward VZW. What phone, I'm leaning toward iOs, but I truly enjoy WebOS. I have no complaints about WebOS and I have truly innovative apps that started as Homebrew or who's developers I learned about through their Homebrew apps. July is when my family decides, but it will be a tough choice. Thanks for all the pros and cons commentss.
    well, i've been using both ios an webos for a little over 6 months now, I will say this, while I do enjoy using my pre more, the iphone is still my go to device because you can do so much more with it. iOs is more complete feature wise and the app store just cant be beat. That being said webos is a much more joyful expierence, even on infirior hardware, so I cant imagine how nice it will be on on hardware like the pre 3. You go withe the iPhone if you absolutly need the app store, stability, and feature set. But if your willling to take the chance, webos has much more potential and is a joy to use, the question is whether or not Hp can see this through and at least keep webos relavent.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.