Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    Will this be possible? Is there a standard for video calling?

Just want to make sure since even if the phone is a relative hit the majority of people I would video call will probably be on iPhone4s...
    unless iOS gets skype... no. FaceTime is suppose to be an open standard, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Apple$ $has$ $not$ $done$ $much$ $to$ $push$ $that$.

and even if iOS gets skype... only the Pre 2 has skype on verizon. Not even sure we'll still have that for the Veer/Pre3.

apparently I missed the skype officially on iOS announcement.
    Last edited by linh.nguyen; 05/03/2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Also consider 3rd party apps like Fring. It provides video calling and video conference calling it's available on iOS, Android and hopefully WebOS.
    Or Tango, what I use besides Skype
    I am already video chatting with Skype and Fring with my android friend.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    and even if iOS gets skype... only the Pre 2 has skype on verizon. Not even sure we'll still have that for the Veer/Pre3.
    They announced Skype video chat for the Pre 3 and TouchPad. They aren't going to renege on that. It might only work over 3G on Verizon's network, but I'm sure they'll have WiFi video calling available for all of them.

The Veer doesn't have a front-facing camera, so I doubt it'll have official support for Skype video - but I wouldn't be surprised if WOSI hacks it to do Skype with just the rear camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    They announced Skype video chat for the Pre 3 and TouchPad. They aren't going to renege on that. It might only work over 3G on Verizon's network, but I'm sure they'll have WiFi video calling available for all of them.
    HP fail to live up to a promise?

You're right that would never happen...
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    The Veer doesn't have a front-facing camera, so I doubt it'll have official support for Skype video - but I wouldn't be surprised if WOSI hacks it to do Skype with just the rear camera.
    With a handy pocket mirror, or magnetic clip-on periscope for the camera, it'll work just fine....

I'm glad it'll have skype, but I think not being able to tap into facetime is going to still crimp it fairly seriously. Yes, I know I could tell my ios friends to get skype and hope they install it and all that. But they'd probably rather it be using their native app... Jobs promised it'd be open... maybe they'd make a skype/facetime interface and then we could tap into that.