Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I've been a lurker for a while here, and many thanks the PreCentral community for a valuable resource.

The Pre Plus was my first smartphone. Despite the problems I have had with my device (wonky keyboard, unpredictable shutoffs, etc), I am a completely committed customer of the Pre and webOS (and Verizon... / duck). The Pre + webOS, to me, is the perfect remedy for the hyper-controlling antics of Apple and the iPhone. webOS has an incredibly eye-pleasing, well-functioning, and slick interface that is a true pleasure to use. Android, on the other hand, is clunky and ugly in comparison...imo, of course.

That being said, HP has me thoroughly confused. Here are some of my thoughts/questions, and I would love if certain members of the community would take some time to comment on them. Thanks in advance

1. Why did HP announce the Pre3 (2/9) before the release date of the Pre2 (2/17)? Wouldn't that just discourage purchases of the Pre2, if potential customers that want to upgrade/try something new know that the next generation of the device is already around the corner? It certainly would me.

2. Why the delay the release of these new devices? Support for webOS and the Pre were already lackluster before HP purchased Palm. While they certainly don't want to push out a product that isn't ready, it seems to me that the clock is ticking and support is dwindling -- even among Pre/webOS supporters. They don't have a huge customer base as it is, and even supporters are defecting to other devices with no official word on when the new ones will be coming out. Nevermind trying to attract new customers. I see all these billboards for Motorola, hTC, Apple. Where are the ones for the Pre3? Veer, even?

3. It seems to me that HP needs to release the Pre3 on as many networks as possible. None of this only-on-one-network-business. They need as broad of an audience as they can get to build support for these devices, as well as webOS. I've read speculation in other threads, mostly from Sprint folks. Any word from the Verizon side of the spectrum?

4. Does anyone know how/if HP plans on trying to really encourage more app development for webOS? It's always disheartening to see how webOS is blatantly ignored by certain parties (aka, The New York Times new digital subscription plan) -- it's always about iPhone, Android, blah blah. Maybe Blackberry. There just isn't any support out there for webOS, despite it's excellent interface, b/c it isn't seen as a real player in the smartphone market. There isn't enough of a user base. This is something that seems to need a drastic change if the platform is going to last, and I fear the longer they wait to release these new devices, the more that potential user base is turning to andriod/iOS in the meantime. I, for one, hate using my iPod touch (it was a gift... predates my Pre... and is jailbroken... /shame) for apps that I can't get on my Pre, and I'm not one for using alot of apps. I can't imagine what the folks who do use alot of apps have to deal with.

That's it really. I love my Pre and I want the Pre3. I love webOS and want it to be even better.

HP needs to release these new devices, so everyone else can find out how awesome they are. In the meantime, they need to beef up their marketing campaign, and announce a release date, so people don't get tired of waiting and switch to android/apple.

end rant
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/29/2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: words were joined like: word....word
    1- My guess is that HP considered the Pre 2 a stop gap to placate the "masses" of disaffected Pre minus and Plus users.

2- Delay until you have the marketing and supply behind your new devices.

3- Releasing on too many carriers at once can put strains on manufacturing. There needs to be a balance between providing what the public wants without over or under producing.

4- HP has done a ton for developers in recent months. they are probably never going to catch iOS or Android, but that's hardly the point.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Both VZW and Palm have somewhat pretended the Pre2 doesn't exist, so I think they purposely waited to ship it so that everyone would focus on TTS, the new slider design, webOS 2.2/3.0 etc.

The Pre2 was so late that it was associated with the new stuff in name, but not part of the new/strategic stuff announced on Feb 9th.

IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by petiole View Post
    3. It seems to me that HP needs to release the Pre3 on as many networks as possible. None of this only-on-one-network-business. They need as broad of an audience as they can get to build support for these devices, as well as webOS. I've read speculation in other threads, mostly from Sprint folks. Any word from the Verizon side of the spectrum?
    As a cellphone manufacturer ideally the device will be picked up by EVERY carrier, however forcing carriers to take the product can't be done. At the end of the day it's still up to the carrier whether they will carry that product or not. If they decide not to do so, it could be because of many reasons, one company to blame over another is hard to do, whether it's carrier and manufacturers not liking each other, contract negotiations between cost, availability etc.

At the end of the day carrier loyalty is likely to be kept over manufacturer loyalty and that's easily recognized.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I will answer your questions ... One, the pre 2 launched over seas first and last in the US. So announcing the pre 3 seems odd to us, not odd to them. Also consider the Pre 2 didn't do well over seas and it seemed HP wasn't putting it's weight behind it. So as someone said, the Pre 2 was meant as something to release but not to Push. Two .... You kind of answered this yourself. The pre 3 was not ready in feb. That means they needed more time. Truly, they do need to release it today, hut releasing a rushed product wouldn't be wise. Three ... Completely agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    1- My guess is that HP considered the Pre 2 a stop gap to placate the "masses" of disaffected Pre minus and Plus users.

3- Releasing on too many carriers at once can put strains on manufacturing. There needs to be a balance between providing what the public wants without over or under producing.

4- HP has done a ton for developers in recent months. they are probably never going to catch iOS or Android, but that's hardly the point.
    agreed
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Not something I considered, actually. I can see the rationale behind it, but it's too bad (imo) that they chose to allocate resources to that, and not put those efforts into a faster release of Pre3.

Agreed. I guess I have been surprised at the lack of marketing post announcement. It was like a huge fireworks show announcing them, and then...crickets chirping for the next couple months, lol.

Very good point.

Again, agreed. With how far ahead android and iOS are, I would never expect webOS to catch up. My hope is that it will no longer be so flat out ignored, though. It's really quite disappointing in that regard
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I will answer your questions ... One, the pre 2 launched over seas first and last in the US. So announcing the pre 3 seems odd to us, not odd to them.
    I completely forgot about that, as well. Mystery solved with that then, lol.

Thanks for the speedy replies from all of you btw. Great to get people's insights.
    very good petiole

however i think that the pre 2 was a developer phone to get the webOS 2 to the devs.
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Quote Originally Posted by petiole View Post
    Not something I considered, actually. I can see the rationale behind it, but it's too bad (imo) that they chose to allocate resources to that, and not put those efforts into a faster release of Pre3.

Agreed. I guess I have been surprised at the lack of marketing post announcement. It was like a huge fireworks show announcing them, and then...crickets chirping for the next couple months, lol.

Very good point.

Again, agreed. With how far ahead android and iOS are, I would never expect webOS to catch up. My hope is that it will no longer be so flat out ignored, though. It's really quite disappointing in that regard
    Also, stick around here a while and you will see that most legit devs are here at PreCentral, and a lot of us have been to HP sponsored events for developers.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Also, stick around here a while and you will see that most legit devs are here at PreCentral, and a lot of us have been to HP sponsored events for developers.
    That's very good to know.

I'm also glad to hear that HP seems to be continuing with palm's friendliness towards the open source community, as well. I was concerned that after palm was acquired that HP might take a few steps back from this. Hopefully, this will continue--if not improve--and webOS will be the better for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4r4qg View Post
    very good petiole

however i think that the pre 2 was a developer phone to get the webOS 2 to the devs.
    That is probably true actually. Never thought about it before.