Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    If you were to show someone two phones with all things being equal except one had a resolution of 800x480 and the other had 960x640 (ignore the fact that the images would look skewed if the phones were the same size. I'm just talking image quality) I bet most couldn't tell the difference.

Give them two phones with all things equal except one had a 5MP camera and the other had an 8MP camera and I bet for what most people use their camera for, they couldn't tell a difference.

Give someone two phones with all things being equal except one has a 1.4 GHz single core processor and the other has a 1Ghz dual core processor, and without doing a side-by-side comparison, if you were to have them open angry birds on one, then open it on the other, I doubt they would be able to tell you definitively which one opened faster.

I don't think people really know what they want. $200 and 2 years is a big commitment and people want to feel that they got the best for their money. Higher specs = better deal to them. I don't understand why user interface wouldn't be the #1 priority on everyone's list of phone features, but that's just me.
    Also to add to this, the average person again doesn't care about specs. They just want something that's flashy, works well.

If you go up to the average joe and gave them 2 phones, said this one device has a higher resolution, they'd look at you like they're a deer caught in headlights.

It's only people on tech forums that expect the best specs as possible, even thou they don't really matter that much.
    although, there's advertisement that has a unique way of making ones feel that they need to have the latest in specs. Look how much 4g is hyped up. Many don't have true 4g access and yet they're still going to be convinced they need a 4g capable phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    This is going to be me. My daughter bought herself an i4 and frankly it makes my Pre+ look like it came out of a Cracker Jack box. Since the Pre3 is essentially the same cheap plastic body but bigger there's no relief there. If the Pre3 were to be released today it would be behind in terms of hardware, and that doesn't even touch the app iceberg.
    Hi all,

Isn't unfair to compare an "old" phone with a brand new one? I thinks so, how about all of you?

take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    nor do I think that the individual has handled and used a Pre 2, wellwellwell.

holding the Pre 2 in my hand right now is like night and day vs the original Pre. Thing is built well, and I can't wait to see what the Pre 3 is like as well.
    yup and the pre 2 is very very nice, i for one am still tryin to find a converted one on sprint. As well as I have tested all OS's out there, and most new devices and if you want to talk about cheap plastic then grab a galaxy S and see what real cheap plastic feels like. Even the reviewers will say the same thing about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    This is going to be me. My daughter bought herself an i4 and frankly it makes my Pre+ look like it came out of a Cracker Jack box. Since the Pre3 is essentially the same cheap plastic body but bigger there's no relief there. If the Pre3 were to be released today it would be behind in terms of hardware, and that doesn't even touch the app iceberg.
    How much time have you spent using the Pre3 to have such a solid opinion that it's the same as your Pre+. News flash, it's the most solid and well designed phone I've seen. Unless you've actually used it... you might want to hold off declaring how poorly it is made, cuz you are not even close.

holding the Pre 2 in my hand right now is like night and day vs the original Pre. Thing is built well, and I can't wait to see what the Pre 3 is like as well.
    Exactly! My Pre2 is excellent hardware. The Pre3 is a quantum leap beyond the Pre2. People are going to be very impressed when they actually have one in their hand to try...
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Give them two phones with all things equal except one had a 5MP camera and the other had an 8MP camera and I bet for what most people use their camera for, they couldn't tell a difference.
    This goes along with this:

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    although, there's advertisement that has a unique way of making ones feel that they need to have the latest in specs. Look how much 4g is hyped up. Many don't have true 4g access and yet they're still going to be convinced they need a 4g capable phone.
    In digital photography, packing more megapixels into a tiny CCD gives you more megapixels to sell the customer, but it does NOT equate to a better image. In fact, sometimes it has exactly the opposite effect.

NY Times - Deconstructing the Megapixel Myth

In a nutshell, the CCD sensor is only a half inch across, or in the case of cellphones, even smaller. Packing more megapixels into the same tiny space means less light for each pixel, which means poorer performance in low light or stop-action shots.

Hell, even 5MP is overkill for a phone. Am I really supposed to believe people are taking photos with their phone and then printing them out to an 11x14 poster? Please. Most will go directly onto FaceBook or Photobucket or some other photo sharing site, in which case a resolution of 1944 x 2592 (5MP) is not just overkill, it's too much and needs to be shrunk. 1280 x 960 is plenty large enough for a picture that's going to be displayed only on the web, and that's only ONE megapixel. 2 Megapixels would get you 1600 x 1200, and would be sufficient for photo quality prints up to 5" x 7".
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    This goes along with this:

In digital photography, packing more megapixels into a tiny CCD gives you more megapixels to sell the customer, but it does NOT equate to a better image. In fact, sometimes it has exactly the opposite effect.

NY Times - Deconstructing the Megapixel Myth

In a nutshell, the CCD sensor is only a half inch across, or in the case of cellphones, even smaller. Packing more megapixels into the same tiny space means less light for each pixel, which means poorer performance in low light or stop-action shots.

Hell, even 5MP is overkill for a phone. Am I really supposed to believe people are taking photos with their phone and then printing them out to an 11x14 poster? Please. Most will go directly onto FaceBook or Photobucket or some other photo sharing site, in which case a resolution of 1944 x 2592 (5MP) is not just overkill, it's too much and needs to be shrunk. 1280 x 960 is plenty large enough for a picture that's going to be displayed only on the web, and that's only ONE megapixel. 2 Megapixels would get you 1600 x 1200, and would be sufficient for photo quality prints up to 5" x 7".
    Hi, Your 100% right...until people realize that using a camera phone won't make you Fransico Scavulo.

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group

I second what everyone has said!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    ... Secondly, just by looking at the design of the label, you can see that this is going to be a portrait slider phone. I can't think of anything else it could be other than the Pre3.
    I'm not sure that those grooves indicate a slider. More likely the shape of the label is to facilitate a battery pull tab.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    I doubt that. The label is very similar to the labels for the Pre and the Pre 2 (although printed upside down in comparison) with similar grooves, which are there to accommodate the slider.

But we should know soon enough what it is. I am still fairly certain it's the Pre3, unless Palm has another portrait slider in the works we don't know about.

Turns out I was wrong. The Pre label's grooves are not for a slider, but indeed a battery tab. I'm a Pixi owner and have never actually had a Pre, but I always assumed the grooves were for the slider. Oops! But still, since no other phones have yet been announced, I'd still say chances are that this is the Pre 3. Even though the grooves aren't for a slider, the shape of the label is still very similar to that of the label used for the Pre.
    Last edited by Syndil; 04/27/2011 at 04:22 PM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    The Pre2 honestly was the best feeling phone I've ever had in my hand.
    The thing is built so solid and professionally.
    It is far, far from feeling cheap.

I gave it up because it wasn't doing it for ->me<-
    (I'm still missing the Treo Form factor.)

However;
    If the Pre3 is built like the Pre2, no one is going to think 'cheap'
    Just call me Berd.
    One thing to keep in mind is that these are only the requests the FCC has acted upon. Although I don't see a reason why they would delay one product over another, it is possible the CDMA world phone version is still being evaluated and will hopefully pop up soon. HP submitted these documents about a month ago.

I hope to god HP doesn't lead off with a carrier exclusive. They need to get to scale, and you don't do that through exclusives unless your company name is a fruit. Releasing a stale Pre3 on Verizon would be the same mistake that Palm made with the Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Exactly! My Pre2 is excellent hardware. The Pre3 is a quantum leap beyond the Pre2. People are going to be very impressed when they actually have one in their hand to try...
    well, i must admit, i'm extremely jealous that you've had the chance to hold the pre 3.

i for one cannot wait to see how good that keyboard is on the pre 3. i actually love the pre 2/pre keyboard. it's the only keyboard i've been able to type on where i actually dont have to look at the keys... i can just watch the screen and not make any errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    yup and the pre 2 is very very nice, i for one am still tryin to find a converted one on sprint. As well as I have tested all OS's out there, and most new devices and if you want to talk about cheap plastic then grab a galaxy S and see what real cheap plastic feels like. Even the reviewers will say the same thing about it.
    ah well i hope you do get one converted for sprint soon because i will tell you one thing, you will not be disappointed.

as loserish as it sounds, i often find myself just turning the phone on, open the launcher, either just starring at how good the screen looks or scrolling through it because it just works, and works well.
    I am excited to see that the Pre3 will have wireless a/g/n. I just upgraded my home networks to wireless N at 5Ghz frequency. I got a dual band router that is capable of transmitting both a wireless g and n network at 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneously, but I have found that I get MUCH better speeds while just using only wireless n at 5Ghz. I am talking about a difference between 7Mbps and 25Mbps.

Of course this means that I can no longer connect my Sprint Pre to the wireless network. I never understood why the original Pre did not have wireless n being that it was a fairly widely used technology when the Pre was produced. Hope we get some more info regarding release and carriers soon!
    Would it be possible for HP to offer an unlocked Pre 3 for Sprint for cheap if you are a previous Pre user?

That would be great!
    No such thing as an unlocked CDMA phone, so no.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post
    I am excited to see that the Pre3 will have wireless a/g/n. I just upgraded my home networks to wireless N at 5Ghz frequency. I got a dual band router that is capable of transmitting both a wireless g and n network at 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneously, but I have found that I get MUCH better speeds while just using only wireless n at 5Ghz. I am talking about a difference between 7Mbps and 25Mbps.

Of course this means that I can no longer connect my Sprint Pre to the wireless network. I never understood why the original Pre did not have wireless n being that it was a fairly widely used technology when the Pre was produced. Hope we get some more info regarding release and carriers soon!
    Just about every wireless n router has wireless G as well. Link me to your router.

Also, this FCC mentions 2.4ghz Wireless N. Not 5ghz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Just about every wireless n router has wireless G as well. Link me to your router.

Also, this FCC mentions 2.4ghz Wireless N. Not 5ghz.
    Has both.

I'm sure he knows he can run both 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously. But you generally get better performance running just 5GHz.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast