1.    #1  
    I'm a relatively new to webos, but I got pretty interested lately, and read the interview of Jon Rubinstein by engadget and got floored by this part:

"Engadget: On the Pre 3 -- the specs are competitive with what's on the market right now, but not really beyond that. Are you concerned about the fact that it's only competitive with what's on the market right now... people are moving on in terms of resolution, camera specs...

Jon: The reality is... we missed a product cycle last year, so we're now focused on bringing these to market, and we have a lot more in the pipeline. Whether something's got 50 more pixels on the screen...

Engadget: But there is a qualitative difference between the iPhone display and a 800 x 480 display...

Jon: Our goal was to bring a great webOS device to market. It's a workhorse, it has a very fast processor... Touch to Share. It's a great product."

It's really lame...

How difficult was it to say: "We don't relate on competitors for our hardware choices. We've been working with our engineers to design the best experience for our users, and we thought that this screen was both big enough for webOS where no screen real estate is needed for on-screen keyboard, and that it is more energy efficient and costs less."

Well, anything would be better than what he said, even saying "come on, does that make such a big difference? when the iPhone was 480x320 and phones like the N900 were 800x480, it was not such a big deal, was it?"

That was my small rant. Thanks for reading.
    I think what he said is exactly the truth: the Pre3 is a WORKHORSE. It's not made to wow anyone looking for top-of-the-line specs for th*eir own sake, it's made to wow working people looking for a top-of-the-line professional phone and doesn't need to play the one-up game because the people it's aimed at don't care about one-upping their friends... they care about getting things done easily.

(I'm still predicting a one-up phone to go after the market of people who simply want to purchase bragging rights later this year)

But yeah, I wonder why Ruby even went there. Bless his soul, but (not knowing him at all, of course) he simply doesn't seem one of those people who thrive under spotlights - and the wisdom of sending a CEO to a tech talk show if he can't talk about much is debatable anyway. I agree that the way he handled it was pretty lame and that he should've said what you said.
  3.    #3  
    Problem is that how he said "it's a workhorse" sounded like an excuse for smaller resolution, when it's not.

Say something like "It has the best screen and the best processor for what we built it for, being a workhorse! And it's damn great at it!"
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I think what he said is exactly the truth: the Pre3 is a WORKHORSE. It's not made to wow anyone looking for top-of-the-line specs for th*eir own sake, it's made to wow working people looking for a top-of-the-line professional phone and doesn't need to play the one-up game because the people it's aimed at don't care about one-upping their friends... they care about getting things done easily.

(I'm still predicting a one-up phone to go after the market of people who simply want to purchase bragging rights later this year)

But yeah, I wonder why Ruby even went there. Bless his soul, but (not knowing him at all, of course) he simply doesn't seem one of those people who thrive under spotlights - and the wisdom of sending a CEO to a tech talk show if he can't talk about much is debatable anyway. I agree that the way he handled it was pretty lame and that he should've said what you said.
    I second your opinion on the bragging rights phone. Most likely fall/winter for holiday sales, or maybe even earlier. HP doesn't seem like they would just be doing nothing, and would've sold Palm off if they didn't think they weren't innovating fast enough. I think that Palm has done alot of work behind the scenes and they are working daily to become up to par on the mobile phone market. I think they wanted to get a 1-Up on the software side first, and then design a phone to meet that software. Because as history has shown (to this date), people are willing to choose adequate software over superior hardware. That's why there's still a big market for 3GS iPhones and even 3G iPhones when the iPhone 4 is clearly better in hardware terms.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    no, what he is in fact saying by the work horse statemant is that the pre3 is not our top of the line phone. its our utility phone, in the pipeline they have more that will go beyond the current cycle =D
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I think he said it right -- the preł is a work phone like a blackberry, and it can out shine any blackberry phone coming this year. They are releasing more phones and its possible will be more powerful. But, even so, the preł is going to be able to handle its own!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I love Palm, but almost every statement Jon made on the Engadget show was just embarrassing. I honestly had to think long and hard about my stance on Palm products after watching it.

HPalm is basically rebooting their entire lineup, they need a stronger voice to do these interviews / PRPRPR $work$. $I$ $think$ $Jon$'$s$ $a$ $great$ $guy$, $but$ $focus$ $on$ $what$ $you$ $know$ $best$ $and$ $get$ $someone$ $else$ $to$ $do$ $the$ $talking$.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Agree...HP/Palm/Rubenstein completely wasted a golden opportunity to release some real information about their new products in front of a host who loves their products.

It really was bad.
    I dont know why they didnt place the same GPU and CPU in TP and pre-3
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    HP, please release the Pre3 worldwide this time! I'm in Singapore & have been waiting for HP webOS for 3 years!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    He kinda said the same thing about the Pre 2 back before the February 9th event.

I believe him when he says they missed a product cycle, and I believe that the c40 rumor webOSworld posted last year explains it (Pre 3 supposed to be released a year ago - probably as the Pre 2, newer hardware by HP in the works).

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...-palm-c40.html
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.