Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just thought i would forward this to everyone and show why Pre is better than those Andriod devices.

"A major bug in the Android DHCP implementation has forced network administrators to (effectively) ban the use of such devices on the Princeton campus. In the last few months, Princeton has had to kick more than 400 Android devices off the campus network for using IP addresses well beyond the allotted DHCP lease (to the detriment of other users), sending invalid DHCPREQUEST messages after lease expiration, and a variety of other wacky behaviors. The link provides a clearly documented explanation of the buggy behavior, as does this largely neglected bug report. Without doubt, this buggy behavior is affecting other, less vigilant networks, and disrupting Wi-Fi traffic for Android and non-Android devices alike."

Android Allows DHCP Lease to Expire, Keeps Using IP Address

Issue 11236 - android - DHCP client ignores lease time - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
    Honestly I think Webos wished they had enough user or anyone cared that they could get banned. But yeah not a good thing for Andorid but it will not hurt them . Personally I dont think either is better then the other. they all have there good points and bad.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 04/19/2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Thanks for letting us know. As Epic4G is currently my primary phone I like to be aware of these issues.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Honestly I think Webos wished they had enough user or anyone cared that they could get banned. But yeah not a good thing for Andorid but it will not hurt them . Personally I dont think either is better then the other. they all have there good points and bad.
    I fully agree that i wish that we had a phone that had the numbers that we could get banned. <come through for me Sprint and bring me a new Pre3>

It's sad to know that all of those Princeton students can't get online to do work because the IP's are being taken up by andriod users. I doubt that there will be any major negative publicity regarding this either. This does make me wonder on the possible negative impact to larger businesses because of this? Could this be a long term issue that could affect WiMax (not sure how WiMax connections are made) on Sprint? Might this be something that HPalm can use as a valid point to present to enterprise customers to help promote and sell the new devices Pre3, Veer, Touchpad, etc over Andriod devices?
    because it's easier to spell? j/k
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    So, what you're saying is, the Pre is better because less people use it? 0_o
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Umm Yes? I think the WebOS is better at least in this case. i guess as with anything, there are reasons for everyone to have something. Some will flock to the Androids and others will swear by the WebOS. Of course there are the fanatics that are iOS
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    LOL That used to be the argument for why there weren't any virus outbreaks on apple computers. The idea was that no one wrote viruses for such a tiny installed base... but you don't hear that said these days for obvious reasons.

I think the OP point is that IF there were enough webOS users on that campus, they wouldn't cause that problem. And I agree that we all want to have the problem of having a large enough user base to create mayhem if/when there is ever such a flaw in webOS... probably something we can look forward to in webOS 4.x? (hoping and crossing fingers)
    Wow, you are really reaching if you think this makes webOS better than Android.
    I stopped counting the instances in this thread, but...

It's called "andrOId."

That's OI. Think drunken english skinhead punk.

Jupiter's innermost moon and the eponymous greek priestess haven't a thing to do with it.

webOS, on the other hand, has balls. Just ask your friendly neighborhood spanish speaker.
    lol, on a sad day where I'm about to get screwed over to the tune of $3K.... You made me laugh
    This study focused around Android, and a similar study discovered the same issue on iOS.

Neither study tried webOS, so this very well may be an issue. Anyone care to try?

Closest thing I could find was this: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ases-wifi.html
    May or may not be entirely related.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    This is issue 11,236 out of 16,000 numbered issues.

Google is Open Source, so anyone can create or comment on issues. Over 10,000 are still active and new ones are added every day. Looking at your link, here they are sorted to show the assigned enhancements:

Issues - android - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

There are a lot more popular requests to post.
  14.    #14  
    Ok, maybe im here to point out others flaws but yes i misspelled android COUNTLESS times. Glad i can make ya laugh.

Anyway to address yet another flaw in our competitor i would like to include this article.

iPhone keeps record of everywhere you go...
    iPhone keeps record of everywhere you go | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Enjoy the read.
    haha.. yeah there are plenty of links and articles.
    Honestly if the successor to the Pre4 doesn't have a gesture area or superior, and Mattias adds a good gesture method to android, i'm definitely jumping ship.
    By then all these issues you mention, as well as UI, etc, should be well taken care of.
    Quote Originally Posted by bear9494 View Post
    Ok, maybe im here to point out others flaws but yes i misspelled android COUNTLESS times. Glad i can make ya laugh.

Anyway to address yet another flaw in our competitor i would like to include this article.

iPhone keeps record of everywhere you go...
    iPhone keeps record of everywhere you go | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Enjoy the read.
    Well, they could always point to this: [Pre] Palm Pre’s Slider Oreo Issues

And as long as we are talking about things iOS and Android have that webOS phones don't we have to add one thing to the list: USERS!
    If lease is expired, and without renewal it should be disconnected by router.
    Router disconnects device by leasing it's IP to another device. Am I correct?
    These things happen. The iPhone had a similar bug at one point.
    as far as i know not only drunken english skinhead punks use that "phrase"/"word"

but i see what you did there...

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I stopped counting the instances in this thread, but...

It's called "andrOId."

That's OI. Think drunken english skinhead punk.

Jupiter's innermost moon and the eponymous greek priestess haven't a thing to do with it.

webOS, on the other hand, has balls. Just ask your friendly neighborhood spanish speaker.
    Is this just a generic flaw in the Linux TCP stack somewhere? The Kindle 3 had a bug in it that wouldn't let it work properly if you had your own internal DNS servers because it sent DNS requests to the router's MAC address instead of using the IP address of the DNS servers it was given.

Maybe there's just some sloppy code going on under the hood in all these little devices.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast