Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I understand for desktop browsing, tabs assist quite a bit. However, when you have stackable tabs ( and ability to create a new card via the browser ) why do you need tabs on a mobile phone? Just wondering.
    Because other platforms have them and webOS sucks if it doesn't emulate them, even if it provides the same functionality.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Because other platforms have them and webOS sucks if it doesn't emulate them, even if it provides the same functionality.
    That really doesn't make any sense though...
    i do like palms application of the card metaphor in the browser, but tabbed browing does have its merits. the stock android and iOS browsers dont depict those merits well though IMO. i just got the firefox browser for andriod and the tabbed experience is pretty awsome for quickly swapping between browsers. if palm had a way to combine bothe methods, i'd be in heaven.
    Cards. Advanced gestures. It doesn't get much quicker than that, son.
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
    The thing is... and I really hate to say this, but: "would anyone ever use it"? Specifically on webOS? Because if you get right down to it, webOS is a sort of 'tabbed operating system' if you will. So swiping up will present you will all your open 'tabs', whether they're websites or apps. And doing it that way, without browser tabs, saves screen real estate.

(I'm talking phones now, by the way - I can totally see a tabbed browser make sense on a tablet where the screen is much larger. I don't think the difference between 3", 3.5" and 4" is enough to make the tab tradeoff worthwhile if you already have an OS-level way of effortlessly switching between content)

Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I know dude, I know...
  7.    #7  
    The thing is... and I really hate to say this, but: "would anyone ever use it"? Specifically on webOS? Because if you get right down to it, webOS is a sort of 'tabbed operating system' if you will. So swiping up will present you will all your open 'tabs', whether they're websites or apps. And doing it that way, without browser tabs, saves screen real estate.

(I'm talking phones now, by the way - I can totally see a tabbed browser make sense on a tablet where the screen is much larger. I don't think the difference between 3", 3.5" and 4" is enough to make the tab tradeoff worthwhile if you already have an OS-level way of effortlessly switching between content)

I know dude, I know...
    Now I get it lol i am slow! And exactly, thats how I see every time I look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by badhairguy View Post
    Cards. Advanced gestures. It doesn't get much quicker than that, son.
    the thing is...i might have my browser windows organized in stacks with the application that launched it. if thats the case, i might have to go through several andvanced swipes before i finally get to the browser card i actually wanted. but if the webOS browser had a tabs feature i could quick jump to other browser cards without having to do a bunch of swiping. i'd like to have the best of both worlds.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    the thing is...i might have my browser windows organized in stacks with the application that launched it. if thats the case, i might have to go through several andvanced swipes before i finally get to the browser card i actually wanted. but if the webOS browser had a tabs feature i could quick jump to other browser cards without having to do a bunch of swiping. i'd like to have the best of both worlds.
    But if it had tabs and ppl used them u couldn't then use the card view to get to each tab. There is a way around it, however, but I feel its pointless. (The way around is when u have tabs they automatically stack whengoing to card view). But u can still have ur prob with or without tabs.
    Tabs are far from a "feature" that is widespread in the mobile space...

iOS? No tabs. Stock Android? No tabs. Sure, you can get "tabbed" browsers on both platforms, but, well, they suck.

Both iOS and Android have a Windows metaphor in the web browser. webOS has that, as well.
    But if it had tabs and ppl used them u couldn't then use the card view to get to each tab. There is a way around it, however, but I feel its pointless. (The way around is when u have tabs they automatically stack whengoing to card view). But u can still have ur prob with or without tabs.
    why couldn't you use card view to get to the tabs?

what i'm saying is keep the card view, but also allow quick access to other open cards FROM the card that is currently active.

for an example of what i'm talking about, try the new-card-per-convo patch. i can quickly jump to an open conversation from within the app, without returning to card view and doing a bunch of swiping.
    It sounds to me like you're talking about the app-switching advanced gesture (swiping the full gesture area). That lets you switch between cards without swiping into card view first.
    Because a tab opens on a new card which opens in the stack. So essentially you have 10x the browsing room.
    It sounds to me like you're talking about the app-switching advanced gesture (swiping the full gesture area). That lets you switch between cards without swiping into card view first.
    no, because if the card i want is far away it could be a lot of swiping.

what i'm talking about is this,

lets say i have 7 browser cards open, each of them far enough away from the next to make the advanced gesture swipe an annoyance. i would like to be able to, from the active browser card, see a list of the other open browser cards, select one, and quickly switch to it.
    Tabs are one click away, stacked cards aren't.
    it was probably sarcasm that's why
    and i agree.. unless webOS copies everything the world is entirely over according to some

to each their own, yes. what they should do is focus on making things 100% customizable.. thus.. they can have an option to enable tabs if you want.

personally it defeats the purpose of stacks
    no, because if the card i want is far away it could be a lot of swiping.

what i'm talking about is this,

lets say i have 7 browser cards open, each of them far enough away from the next to make the advanced gesture swipe an annoyance. i would like to be able to, from the active browser card, see a list of the other open browser cards, select one, and quickly switch to it.

this would in essence combine the benefit of tabbed browsing and the card metaphor.
    I get what you're talking about, but how big is this list(of other open browser cards) and how do you get to it? To each their own but minimizing the cards and a quick flick over to the one you want is pretty painless, imo. It's not like you have so many cards open that you have no idea where anything is, correct? The action you have to take to get to that list....say tap for the menu....tap for the list...scroll down list....tap browser you want maximized.....seems like no more effort that minimizing the cards and flicking over to what you want....but maybe it IS more
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  19.    #19  
    Another thing they can do Mhunterjr is have a button in the browser that will "auto collect" all browsers, that way you can get to it faster.
    I really do not know why the need of tabs are need in webOS. Aren't cards in a stack the same thing as tabs?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast