Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Personally, I don't want tabs in a phone. Stacks works perfectly for this.

However, on a 10" tablet, I think tabs probably would work better, though I guess we'll see at the Touchpad launch.

I mean, it seems to me that there's a reason we're not all (or at least most of us aren't) using multiple windows of Firefox or Chrome on the desktop, isn't there?
    I think tabs are good because they are quick and require no actions to get to them. Also, think of it this way, if you have five pages open, how can you really tell them appart well? The fan gets smaller and identifying a site gets harder. There is quick swipe left and right in webos phones, but on the tablet, with no gesture area I am not sure how or if that will be possible. Even if so, if I have 5+ pages open, tabs with labels would be way easier. I do think webos should be different and put the tabs on the bottom. It will keep the browser from looking cluttered since ipad uses the bottom space for menu items. It would use the same screen space but use tabs instead. It can also be an option. Remember same philosophy can be said for windows, all it takes is hovering over the browser and all browser windows show up with pictures, does that mean desktop browsers don't need tabs?
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I get what you're talking about, but how big is this list(of other open browser cards) and how do you get to it? To each their own but minimizing the cards and a quick flick over to the one you want is pretty painless, imo. It's not like you have so many cards open that you have no idea where anything is, correct? The action you have to take to get to that list....say tap for the menu....tap for the list...scroll down list....tap browser you want maximized.....seems like no more effort that minimizing the cards and flicking over to what you want....but maybe it IS more
    check out firefox for android. you have access to a mini few of all open windows with a quick swipe. and until you initiate the gesture, they take up no screen real estate.

generally going into cardview is quick enough, but as we start getting devices with more ram, i can imagine having a lot more distance between browser cards. also the removal of the mini-card view means it takes longer to scroll through large amount of cards. not to mention the touchpad doesn't have a gesture area with which to do advanced gestures.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 04/17/2011 at 10:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Another thing they can do Mhunterjr is have a button in the browser that will "auto collect" all browsers, that way you can get to it faster.
    that would be neat, unless someone felt it really important to keep browser tabs in the stacks that originated them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I really do not know why the need of tabs are need in webOS. Aren't cards in a stack the same thing as tabs?
    stacks are the same thing as tabs... so long as the new browser card originated within the same stack as the rest of your browser cards. If the card was launched from another app, it would be in a different stack. depending on the distance between the stacks, moving the card into the appropriate stack could get pretty tiresome.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Personally, I don't want tabs in a phone. Stacks works perfectly for this.

However, on a 10" tablet, I think tabs probably would work better, though I guess we'll see at the Touchpad launch.

I mean, it seems to me that there's a reason we're not all (or at least most of us aren't) using multiple windows of Firefox or Chrome on the desktop, isn't there?
    We'll, most computers don't have Expose All Windows like a Mac does . I love tabs, it makes my life easier. However I always wish there was a good way to get all the tabs as a separate application and when you go use Expose, it would allow you to choose the tab you want.

Thats kinda why I don't see a point with tabs in WebOS, unless someone can program what I just described.
    For a phone I'm personally not too bothered about tabs, I don't tend to do much direct web browsing on a phone sized screen.

For the touchpad though that's a different matter, I don't want to have to jump in and out of card view every time I want to switch to a different web page, it would be far easier to just tap on the tab and switch across, especially if I've only changed to check a detail then need to move back to the first tab. If I wanted browsing without tabs I'd still be using IE 6.
    I do have one question on the subject... is a "stacked" web page in the webOS browser a multiple instance of the same program running? Versus a tab within the same program instance holding more than page in memory?

Im not an embedded programer and not a develope for webOS so I dunno...

As far as asthetics... I think they are just that... asthetics... for some switching from one stack to another is the most complicated and lack of tabs saves screen real estate... for others they prefer to have all open web pages be a tap away and dont mind having the tabs take up space on the screen. As far as how you use your phone... some have advantages that will make stacks more appropriate based on your use model.... and some will have tabs be the most efficient...
    I think a lot of ppl havent experienced stacks yet which makes tabs less of an issue.

Also there is no super easy way to open another card/browser from the browser right now which is annoying.

As of right now you have to open the launcher and find the web icon. There needs to be a "new tab" button which instead opens another card/browser. Jason made a patch which does that and it is great, but it should be built in.
    The problem with tabs is they occupy too much screen real estate. And, in order to do them properly on a mobile device (one where you use a finger and NOT a stylus), you have to make them big. They just look too clunky and ugly and don't "flow" with the rest of the system. This is why cards are appropriate.

In Universe, I have made it where you can search all of your open browser cards from one card. You just start typing and it will list all of the cards that have titles that match the text you have typed. Here for example: Smart Search in Universe | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    It's just that people want the bigger and better advances in technology.

The same reason why someone would upgrade from a Gameboy to a Nintendo 64, or something along that analogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    The problem with tabs is they occupy too much screen real estate. And, in order to do them properly on a mobile device (one where you use a finger and NOT a stylus), you have to make them big. They just look too clunky and ugly and don't "flow" with the rest of the system. This is why cards are appropriate.

In Universe, I have made it where you can search all of your open browser cards from one card. You just start typing and it will list all of the cards that have titles that match the text you have typed. Here for example: Smart Search in Universe | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    This is exactly what I was envisioning. it's essentially tabbed browsing... You have access to all of your open card without having to go to card view.

however there are ways to have tabs without taking up real estate. Check out fire fox on android. A swype gesture brings up a list of your open 'tabs'

Combine that with what you've already done, and I'm in heaven.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 04/19/2011 at 11:26 AM.
    I'll keep that in mind as a feature.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12