Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    That when (if ever) Palm announces the pricing/release date of the Pre3, that they'll also announce the new phone (Stingray) with pricing/release date. Long shot, I know... But i don't mind having a slab for my next phone.

    Anybody else? - And if so, will you wait for it, if it does come out after the Pre3?
  2. #2  
    I doubt they would do that. Might hurt the sales of the pre3
  3. #3  
    NO! If they did that, the whole crap about "HP LIED! LIES!! LIARS!!! GAZE UPON THE UGLY FACE OF SIN, YE MORTALS! THEY SHOULD ONLY ANNOUNCE WHEN THEY HAVE STUFF TO SHIP" would start again.
    Let them announce the slab phone when it's actually ready sometime this fall, hopefully just after the iPhone 5 as opposed to just before it (to let the buzz subside a bit, or totally T-Bone the buzz with a very comparable product... but that's just optimism)

    As for me, no, I won't wait for it because the Pre3 with its keyboard is what I want. If the slab was released BEFORE the Pre3, I'd wait for the Pre3.
  4. #4  
    That would be pretty cool. I would actually prefer an announcement about a future candy bar style phone (updated Pixi). I'm a fan of that form factor. Unfortunately, I think the Veer is the updated Pixi as far as HP is concerned.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I doubt they would do that. Might hurt the sales of the pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    NO! If they did that, the whole crap about "HP LIED! LIES!! LIARS!!! GAZE UPON THE UGLY FACE OF SIN, YE MORTALS! THEY SHOULD ONLY ANNOUNCE WHEN THEY HAVE STUFF TO SHIP" would start again.
    Let them announce the slab phone when it's actually ready sometime this fall, hopefully just after the iPhone 5 as opposed to just before it (to let the buzz subside a bit, or totally T-Bone the buzz with a very comparable product... but that's just optimism)

    As for me, no, I won't wait for it because the Pre3 with its keyboard is what I want. If the slab was released BEFORE the Pre3, I'd wait for the Pre3.
    You guys are assuming the slab wont be released this summer along with the pre 3. We still don't know if HP is planning a Galaxy S moment have multiple form factors, one phone. And it wont hurt the sales of the pre 3 b/c if they go that route, they could add the sales of pre 3/stingray and say they sold this amount (again, like samsung did).

    But thats the only way it would work (announcing the phone when announcing price/release point for pre 3).
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    You guys are assuming the slab wont be released this summer along with the pre 3. We still don't know if HP is planning a Galaxy S moment have multiple form factors, one phone. And it wont hurt the sales of the pre 3 b/c if they go that route, they could add the sales of pre 3/stingray and say they sold this amount (again, like samsung did).

    But thats the only way it would work (announcing the phone when announcing price/release point for pre 3).
    you are right about my assumption. I'm basing it on the codenames revealed to be HP roadmap for 2011.

    IMO The galaxy S strategy would only work if they plan to release carrier exlusive devices. Not far fetched considering the Veer is GSM only. But why not unveil the slab in feb? which carrier would get which device?

    aaah too many questions
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    you are right about my assumption. I'm basing it on the codenames revealed to be HP roadmap for 2011.

    IMO The galaxy S strategy would only work if they plan to release carrier exlusive devices. Not far fetched considering the Veer is GSM only. But why not unveil the slab in feb? which carrier would get which device?

    aaah too many questions
    Verizon, At&t = Pre 3
    At&t = Veer
    Sprint = Stingray

    If they only released the Stingray to Sprint then that would solve the exclusive problem.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Verizon, At&t = Pre 3
    At&t = Veer
    Sprint = Stingray

    If they only released the Stingray to Sprint then that would solve the exclusive problem.
    Hope thats not the case. I'm looking forward to Slab form factor on ATT. I just checked my contract status. I wont be up for upgrade until March 2012.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    you are right about my assumption. I'm basing it on the codenames revealed to be HP roadmap for 2011.

    IMO The galaxy S strategy would only work if they plan to release carrier exlusive devices. Not far fetched considering the Veer is GSM only. But why not unveil the slab in feb? which carrier would get which device?

    aaah too many questions
    I have thought of that too. If they release them close,
    ( like weeks apart ) then I am not sure. But if it
    Pre 3 released in June '11 and Stingray July '11, then it could be the phone was not far into development. And July would be a good release month bc at least on sprint it won't be head to head against the EVO3D. So we shall see hopefully HP will through us a bone!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    Hope thats not the case. I'm looking forward to Slab form factor on ATT. I just checked my contract status. I wont be up for upgrade until March 2012.
    By that time there would prob be an ATT slab device by HP. But I have theorized that the stingray was in part HP and in part sprints idea bc sprint might, like I said here, want to start fresh.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Verizon, At&t = Pre 3
    At&t = Veer
    Sprint = Stingray

    If they only released the Stingray to Sprint then that would solve the exclusive problem.
    i really hope this isn't the case because i must have a keyboard. the main reason returned my Evo and got and Epic 4g was because of the keyboard.

    also wouldn't the slab form factor pretty much require webOS 3.0? for one, it will require the vkb...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i really hope this isn't the case because i must have a keyboard. the main reason returned my Evo and got and Epic 4g was because of the keyboard.

    also wouldn't the slab form factor pretty much require webOS 3.0? for one, it will require the vkb...
    Thats what scares me. I would be OK with getting a slab on Sprint, and even waiting till July to get it, however it would make more sense to put WebOS 3.0 on it. That would probably push it to Fall and I don't want to wait that long.
  13. #13  
    I really hope...that next time you'll finish typing your topic instead of doing this whole "I have a secret, click to read more" strategy.
  14. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #14  
    I hope they have the Pre 3 released in June on more than one carrier, and that they wait at least a month before announcing the slab phone.

    The Verizon Pre 2 might have sold better if they didn't kill it by announcing the Pre 3 the same day as the release date for the V Pre 2.

    IDK what strategy HP/Palm is trying to get at here, but delaying it for months then releasing it right after the successor is announced isn't very smart.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  15. #15  
    not me ! I'm dying to get a full qwerty keyboard on the Pre3 after being tortured using an iPhone for my business the last 2 years
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I hope they have the Pre 3 released in June on more than one carrier, and that they wait at least a month before announcing the slab phone.

    The Verizon Pre 2 might have sold better if they didn't kill it by announcing the Pre 3 the same day as the release date for the V Pre 2.

    IDK what strategy HP/Palm is trying to get at here, but delaying it for months then releasing it right after the successor is announced isn't very smart.
    I thought that strange too. However it didn't sell well in the UK either so I guess we'll never know. But if they announce the slab (and it has the same specs) it won't effect pre 3 sales. Pre 3 is for the business man. If they made a stingray slab that would be for the consumer.
  17. klynn's Avatar
    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I hope they have the Pre 3 released in June on more than one carrier, and that they wait at least a month before announcing the slab phone.

    The Verizon Pre 2 might have sold better if they didn't kill it by announcing the Pre 3 the same day as the release date for the V Pre 2.

    IDK what strategy HP/Palm is trying to get at here, but delaying it for months then releasing it right after the successor is announced isn't very smart.
    The Pre 2 and Pre 3 are the same form factor so of course announcing the 3 right as the 2 was realeased was a stupid move.

    However, a slab is a different form factor from the Pre 3 so I think (hope) that it wouldn't necessarily hurt the sales of the 3 to announce a slab beforehand. People who want a slab probably wouldn't be buying a slider anyway but this would give slab people a reason to come in and see how webOS works on the Pre 3 so they would want the slab when it comes out. And for those of us that aren't sure which form factor we'd prefer, it would be nice to know that there would be a choice.

    Yes, it may delay some of us (myself included) from buying the Pre 3 at launch, but would be a good faith gesture from HP (yeah, I know, like we should expect good faith from them) to let the faithful webOS community choose which form factor we prefer, and avoid "stabbing us in the back" by announcing the slab we might have wanted after we've committed to the Pre 3 for two years. There's a lot of Palm/webOS faithful who already feel betrayed by HP for the 2.0 upgrade debacle so why increase that fury?

    I'd like to see them side-by-side. See if the virtural keyboard is better than the physical one for me. See if the slab is too much bigger than the Pre 3. And of course the carrier for each, if they're not both on the same ones, would be the deciding factor. If the slab is coming out within three months of the Pre 3 and they're both on Verizon then I'll wait to compare. As it is, since there's a possiblity of a slab, I'll stick with my Pixi until I have all the information. Just hope that HP provides that information before the Pre 3 is released--I can wait, IF I know there's something to wait for.
    Last edited by klynngullo; 04/22/2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions