1.    #1  
    im not sure if this matter was touched on at all, where as i havent seen anything, but could it be possible that palm's product timeline was pushing these phones/tablet to the the table before the purchase of the company, and maybe the slate device(rumor) that has been purported by this anonymous tipster could be the first iteration of hp's influence on their new webos line? i just was thinking about it and how they a) keep the pre name for the new phone b) reference the veer to the pixi numerous times, and then other factors regarding this situation. this would also make sense as to y there is such a delay in release periods between the unveiling of the phones to actual release.

also, with leo's statement about how products would ship weeks, as opposed to months after announcements, it makes me feel that these products were nit-picked by hp towards the factories producing the products and final builds. with a summer announcement of a slate like device only to ship a few weeks later, this could not only reinforce leo's statement, but also add to the timeline hp has said to release several devices by year's end. like i said, just a random thought, and i figured i would throw it out there...
    You could be right... I hope that the slate device is a 4G webos 3.0 phone for Sprint since all there eggs are in the 4G market.
    I do hope that there are several new phones due to come out this year. One fear that i have is that they will use the Veer as a phone to test the waters. I feel most of the dedicated Pre (+/-) owners will want to wait for the upcoming release of the Pre3 rather than take the first phone offered (Veer). I hope that HPalm doesn't take those sales as a sign to come and then bail on us based upon that. I also like the idea of the new slate, although my heart is still set on the Pre3 and my Pre- is starting to show it's age. At this point any information with regards to which carrier will have what phone is all the information i want at this point. So far from what i gather, AT&T will be getting the Veer. I would love to see the timeline for additional phones in the works so i can finally start telling friends about the new WebOS devices that are available when they are eligible for upgrades.
    This kinda upsets me.We don't know what carriers will get what.We don't have clear price.All they want us to do is wait and wait.It's messed up that we have to even wait for a carrier.I'am losing hope for webOS as the coming weeks goes by.It's sad that I'm will be forced to get an android phone because my favorite OS has nothing out or takes to long to release any information.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    This kinda upsets me.We don't know what carriers will get what.We don't have clear price.All they want us to do is wait and wait.It's messed up that we have to even wait for a carrier.I'am losing hope for webOS as the coming weeks goes by.It's sad that I'm will be forced to get an android phone because my favorite OS has nothing out or takes to long to release any information.
    Agreed. I believe you actually speak for a majority of Pre owners, most of which have already left for Andriod. We have a bad-*** operating system and no new hardware to use it on, and our current hardware is dieing, so there really is no other viable option. Sad.
    I being one of those who went to android am anxious to see what HP will show next. I am willing to wait for more developers to jump on board, and although I like my droid 2 I can't wait to come back to webOS. Im hopeing for a LTE slab phone om verizon!!
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    The announcement on Feb. 9th was designed to gather developer support and increase the amount of available apps. Do you remember how loud the outcries were when the release dates weren't announced? HP is not going to do that again. They will announce the product weeks before it is released. Any earlier than that then and the most they might offer up is a confirmation of the carrier partners.

Your going to have to wait for it to get closer to launch before you know any more of the details. Expect the Veer to get announced soon for At&t, beyond that you have to wait till summer.

As a side-note I'm afraid any new, big name apps designed for webOS will be forced to wait until the TouchPad gets released before they will be available in the App Catalog. I believe HP is going for a major launch party to maximize hype.
    I finally bought a evo shift on CL cause I couldnt deal with the pre's camera app not opening in time to catch my daughter doing something fun :/ I still have my upgrade and am hoping that sprint will announce the pre3 but I gottta tell ya, HP is failing at bringing back the best OS out there...Hardly any apps compared to even a 6month old OS (WM7) that has over 10k apps and climbing very fast. Very few people dont want to write apps for webos especially now when most of the users are stuck on 1.4.5 with NO path to upgrade and actually be able to download 2.x apps. Who would write an app for 1.x when its shelf life is over according to palm? And with no info on when or where you can get a 2.x webos phone (not including the pre2 which isn't flying off the shelf) and no knowledge of when we might know, what do you expect...If I was a developer wanting to make money cause of the time it takes to invest in app developement, I wouldnt pick webos cause there is so much uncertainty................just my 2 cents.

Ken
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    If it wasn't for two things...
    possible delayed iPhone 5 launch
    and the leaked pic of the Palm slab phone, I'd be gone after all the stress / uncertainty from HPalm.

Personally, I think it's worth waiting with a shroud of mystery for that slab, but no way would I wait for a Veer or Pre3. With that in mind, at the very least there should be more details about the 2 upcoming devices.

Who knows though, maybe they plan to do heavy marketing closer to its release. It would make sense to hype it closer to launch vs right now -- where hype would fade.
    I really dont see "the slab" device that was leaked being availiable even this year. They announced the pre3, veer, and touch pad in feb and 2 of the 3 are slated for summer releases and we dont even know what part of summer, summer goes till sep.? the veer which from what i thought is suppose to come out in early spring which is now and we still havent heard anything! so I figure we are still atleast a month out for that. All that to say, I dont see this slab being availiable till next year, and if your thinking summer, come on, have you been here since june 09? Hp has repeated what palm has done in there "announce and wait" strategy :/ It pains me to say this stuff, but like a lot of people who still love webos and see it as the best OS, you just cant put much faith in what Palm/HP say :/

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by IamMedina View Post
    You could be right... I hope that the slate device is a 4G webos 3.0 phone for Sprint since all there eggs are in the 4G market.
    I think that slate device is a 3.0 phone. That OS all ready is made for touch only makes sense
    I'm due for an upgrade next week. Yes, it would be nice to see something that has been in the pipeline, for awhile now, come out. There seems to be some speculation in the States about carriers etc. Here, there is nothing. Get a Pre- @ Bell or get a Pre2 @ Rogers.....those are THE options. Being still locked for another 20 months at Bell, (been 16 months with my Pre), and if I want to break the contract it's $30/month times the remainder of the contract, or $600.....there's no point. I've seen a few Android phones now that I like that are available for Bell, I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, my phone works fine other than a busted Volume Up button, due to an unexpected drop on concrete(thanks Sconix for putting the Volume in the Device Menu ), and I'm really not feeling the "I need to get a new phone as soon as I'm eligible" syndrome. That being said, if it's available....I'll get a new HP phone. If it isn't, there's three (Atrix, Desire Z or HD7) phones waiting patiently for my phone to break. I'm not going to wait, to hell with it. Worst case scenario, in a couple of years, probably 3, if HP makes it and keeps up with the rest of them, I can come back to some decent phones, and decent OS, maybe there'll be 10,000 apps in the catalog by then. In the meantime, I'll just keep plugging along with the Pre and have fun with it
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    I really dont see "the slab" device that was leaked being availiable even this year. They announced the pre3, veer, and touch pad in feb and 2 of the 3 are slated for summer releases and we dont even know what part of summer, summer goes till sep.? the veer which from what i thought is suppose to come out in early spring which is now and we still havent heard anything! so I figure we are still atleast a month out for that. All that to say, I dont see this slab being availiable till next year, and if your thinking summer, come on, have you been here since june 09? Hp has repeated what palm has done in there "announce and wait" strategy :/ It pains me to say this stuff, but like a lot of people who still love webos and see it as the best OS, you just cant put much faith in what Palm/HP say :/

Ken

that was the point in posing my hypothesis to everyone, hp said that there would be several form factors and devices this year for the market, and maybe the veer, pre3, and touchpad were the the last dream of Palm that hp thought werent half bad, they just tweaked it somehow in terms of final builds, that being y there is NO solid release date, NO carrier info, etc. i dont think that leo would postulate the statement of releasing products WEEKS later only to be immediately negated by HPs final actions towards the phones. hes excited about webos, the community is excited about webos, and i think some big things r in the works and maybe they're just being kept hush hush for the time being and the 3 devices in the pipelines r HPs first footsteps into the marketplace. no dissrespect whatsoever, just all of this info clashing with itself didnt make sense to me, so i just wanted to form it into words for the community to give some feedback and thoughts
    I've gotten weary on what "might" happen with webos I remember in june of 2010 when it was announced that HP was buying Palm. I for one was super excited and looking forward to what HP(the largest electronics company in the world) would bring to Palm. Well, almost a year later and the only thing that has been tangiable is the Pre 2 which should of been the original Pre...Like I said in my first post, I bought an of contract evo shift because I have lost faith in when or where the next webos device will land. Hopefully the Pre 3 will land on sprint in june and I will be first in line to pick it up, but I'm not counting on it Your right when you say that HP has said that they have several webos devices landing this year...how many is several? 2, 3, 4? well, they have also said some other things that haven't panned out. Just saying all this because I have had my hopes up for a long time, (Jun 09 pre owner till this last weekend) and I will believe it when I see it from now on :/

Ken still love webos though more than any other
    I don't know if hp said multiple form factors? Did they? I know there were reports of five or six devices this year. So far we have officially seen three, with a forth (Opal) on the way. That means two more phones I bet. The all touch device this fall (maybe -- who knows) and then maybe another smaller device like the Veer? But at this point no one knows.
    They said "multiple form factors" almost as often as "in the coming months" and even mentioned that some of them would be surprising, but I'm pretty sure they were already hinting at webOS on PCs and printers there. Of course, surprising form factors also include wristwatches and toasters, so you never know.

I don't think they were talking about surprising phone form factors. Being accused of copying Apple with a slab looking like any other is better than failing to reinvent the wheel with a triangular phone. There's only so many ways in industrial design to make certain things work well, which is why all TVs look the same except for a logo on the bezel (and nobody accuses anyone of copying Sony) and why all cars are essentially boxes on four wheels (and nobody accuses anyone of copying Mercedes-Benz).
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I don't know if hp said multiple form factors? Did they? I know there were reports of five or six devices this year. So far we have officially seen three, with a forth (Opal) on the way. That means two more phones I bet. The all touch device this fall (maybe -- who knows) and then maybe another smaller device like the Veer? But at this point no one knows.

ive been looking and have not been able to find the quote about the several phones, but i will keep looking because i know i read it somewhere, however there was the article even on here where it was said to have found 5 device codenames in the SDK, being the Broadway, Windsor, Stingray, Mantaray, and Roadrunner. it was also said that these were 5 NEW codenames, meaning that the pre2 was already announced so it wasnt considered to be one of these devices. so we've seen 3 be announced already(veer, pre3, touchpad) and even saying one of those is a 7in form factor slate, that still leaves one codename up in the air and i think these r all HPs doing and these devices that we r seeing r palm's last breath of air... or at least i hope im right
    I think ur right too dude!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I believe you are correct. IMO the HP merger threw off the product timeline and the Pre 3 (originally supposed to be released in July 2010, probably called the Pre 2 at the time) got pushed back, and the Pre 2 was thrown together and released to show that webOS isn't dead. Also, webOSworld's tipster said the first thing HP threw into the mix of webOS prototypes was slab.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...-palm-c40.html
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    I'm '' this close to pulling the trigger on a pre2 from verizon, free at HP, thus burning my upgrade. The only thing stopping me is the possibility that the pre3 will drop on verizon sooner than Fall '11.
    I really will wait if Verizon is getting the pre3 first... Any ideas?

EDIT: After checking, there is no way to transfer my wife's upgrade to my line AND then buy the phone through HP for free. [+$50 card] Since My upgrade isn't til 1/27/12 I cannot get it free that way. I can put it on her line for $50 [no card]
    Or, I can transfer her upgrade and order it on Verizon for $150... Ugh.
    Last edited by e-gadget-guy; 04/29/2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: new info
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy