1.    #1  
    First impressions are a big deal in the technology world, and the smart-phone space is a very competitive one as we all know.

Take a look a this video:

...and now take a look at this one:

Scrolling in the browser has always been something that just looks awful in Pre phones as far as aesthetics go. All Pre users know what I'm talking about when I say that we've been hunted by checkerboard patters ever since the original Pre. I don't know what it is, but webOS seems to be pretty bad at rendering stuff at a fast rate, in this case in the browser--it's also pretty bad in the pictures and video/Youtube app as well, but that's another matter.

Devices like the IPhone/IPad, or the new Android phones are extremely slick and smooth when it comes to rendering images and websites, and that's one of the many reasons they resonate well with the consumer, because they make good first impressions.

As you can see in the first video, the Pre3 is just embarrassingly slow at rendering a website, and when Josh scrolls through the website it's just sad to watch. As a newer device that the Pre3 is, I would hope they start to optimize webOS better. Even in the TouchPad, the Kindle app is just painful to watch, there's easily a 1-2 second delay after the gesture until the page flips.

As a webOS user, I'm already sold on the Pre3 and the TouchPad, because I know they're great devices regardless of how fast they render a picture; however, my concern is how these devices will be seen by the general public when they are playing with them in, let's say Best Buy, and they see awful pixelated pictures that don't render fast enough, or the checkerboard patter in the browser.

The Pre3 has a faster processor than either the Epic or the IP4, so it all comes down to optimizing. I make this thread in hope that HP address this issue.

Your thoughts?
    I agree it is embarrassing to watch. It just isn't fast enough for me anymore. I stood in line waiting on day 1 for the Pre. I recently watchedd Phandroid's review of the Thunderbolt and there is 0 lag. I mean 0. And apps open instantly. No hyperbole here. For me that's good enough. Moving to EVO3d. Am I a little disgruntled? Of coursen...but who here isn't?
    To be fair, that was an early device with an early build of webOS on it. Plus he was loading the full desktop version of engadget.com.

It's not as if i don't see checkerboard on the iphone 4 or ipad 2. Especially the ipad 2.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    To be fair, that was an early device with an early build of webOS on it. Plus he was loading the full desktop version of engadget.com.

It's not as if i don't see checkerboard on the iphone 4 or ipad 2. Especially the ipad 2.
    +1

Besides , why on earth they don't have good Wifi in the demo area ?
    webOS still isn't fully hardware-accelerated. Neither is Android.

iOS and Windows Phone 7 are the only mobile operating systems that use hardware acceleration throughout the entire operating system.
    Also, Flash is clearly the issue here. It's an embarrassing problem (for Adobe) on Android as well and something that every sane person will disable immediately. They just can't make that disaster run smoothly at all--no matter the platform.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    The browser on the Pre 3 still needed a lot of work to be done when used at the February 9th event.

Hopefully it'll be ready by June.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Also, Flash is clearly the issue here. It's an embarrassing problem (for Adobe) on Android as well and something that every sane person will disable immediately. They just can't make that disaster run smoothly at all--no matter the platform.
    +100

I agree completely. Flash is 100% a disaster. It needs to be gotten rid of immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titano View Post
    First impressions are a big deal in the technology world, and the smart-phone space is a very competitive one as we all know.

Take a look a this video:

...and now take a look at this one:

Scrolling in the browser has always been something that just looks awful in Pre phones as far as aesthetics go. All Pre users know what I'm talking about when I say that we've been hunted by checkerboard patters ever since the original Pre. I don't know what it is, but webOS seems to be pretty bad at rendering stuff at a fast rate, in this case in the browser--it's also pretty bad in the pictures and video/Youtube app as well, but that's another matter.

Devices like the IPhone/IPad, or the new Android phones are extremely slick and smooth when it comes to rendering images and websites, and that's one of the many reasons they resonate well with the consumer, because they make good first impressions.

As you can see in the first video, the Pre3 is just embarrassingly slow at rendering a website, and when Josh scrolls through the website it's just sad to watch. As a newer device that the Pre3 is, I would hope they start to optimize webOS better. Even in the TouchPad, the Kindle app is just painful to watch, there's easily a 1-2 second delay after the gesture until the page flips.

As a webOS user, I'm already sold on the Pre3 and the TouchPad, because I know they're great devices regardless of how fast they render a picture; however, my concern is how these devices will be seen by the general public when they are playing with them in, let's say Best Buy, and they see awful pixelated pictures that don't render fast enough, or the checkerboard patter in the browser.

The Pre3 has a faster processor than either the Epic or the IP4, so it all comes down to optimizing. I make this thread in hope that HP address this issue.

Your thoughts?
    I have an iPhone and I consistently use an iPad. Both are horrible with that checkerboard effect. Android devices are much better with browsing. MUCH better.

I hope webOS can really improve on that. It's one of my pet pieves.
    I agree. I was never aware of this problem until I compared my new HTC arrive to a pre... I hope this improves..