Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Pre Plus learned to fly a few days ago (my boy took a dive from the second floor), and while it has miraculously survived with no scratches and still functioning, it sounds like a rattle now. I was very happy to hear the Pre 3 is coming this summer (quite vague... but I only need 2-3 more months I think), but something that I am still trying to understand is: how does the video chat actually work? Is it based on native webOS software or is it based on Skype? Can I video chat only with other owners of Pre 3 (or device running the supporting version of webOS) or can I chat with a wider number of people running different devices?

I'd appreciate if anyone could shed some light to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by the caveman View Post
    My Pre Plus learned to fly a few days ago (my boy took a dive from the second floor), and while it has miraculously survived with no scratches and still functioning, it sounds like a rattle now. I was very happy to hear the Pre 3 is coming this summer (quite vague... but I only need 2-3 more months I think), but something that I am still trying to understand is: how does the video chat actually work? Is it based on native webOS software or is it based on Skype? Can I video chat only with other owners of Pre 3 (or device running the supporting version of webOS) or can I chat with a wider number of people running different devices?

It works like this: you use the camera, you speak, and then the camera records .... ok i am kidding!

We don't know, we all assume it's skype. But we don't know.
    I think it will be based off of native webOS software, and then you'll also have a skype app

At think beyond there was no sign of it being skype. it was all coded with enyo as well.
    I'm not concerned with the how its implemented. More wondering the if it will be wifi only, which is likely if the Pre3 will be released as a 3g phone.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    I'm not concerned with the how its implemented. More wondering the if it will be wifi only, which is likely if the Pre3 will be released as a 3g phone.
    I think that would be determined by the carrier; it seems Sprint phones can do video chat over 3G. Anyone actually done it, though? How is the quality?
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    The iPhone can be jailbroken to use facetime over 3G right? Im sure a patch can easily be made to do the same thing if the pre 3 actually only uses it over wifi.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

this is straight from HP's site.
    TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer

fine print at bottom of page (for touchpad at least).
    4. Check with carrier for video calling availability and restrictions.
    The iPhone video chats over 3G as well, just not FaceTime. Apps like TangoTime, Qik, Fring, Knocking Video, etc. all support video over 3G on the iPhone.

However, unless you have a VERY solid 3G signal in an area with good bandwidth, it's practically unusable. A few quick uses of such a service on 3G quickly proves why Apple chose to restrict FaceTime to WiFi (maintain the quality).
  9.    #9  
    Thank you all for all the comments and ideas. The subject is completely foreign to me, but its interesting to see what will be the extent of my ability to use it (even if only via WiFi) and who I can interact with.

I agree that there has been no indication that it is based on Skype. I looks like a native app, but that worries me that I will be stuck being able to use it only with other Pre 3 users...
    I can't see Palm doing that. They know better especially with the situation. I'm sure it will be completely open one way or another

Thank you all for all the comments and ideas. The subject is completely foreign to me, but its interesting to see what will be the extent of my ability to use it (even if only via WiFi) and who I can interact with.

I agree that there has been no indication that it is based on Skype. I looks like a native app, but that worries me that I will be stuck being able to use it only with other Pre 3 users...
    Quote Originally Posted by WOPR View Post
    this is straight from HP's site.
    TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer

fine print at bottom of page (for touchpad at least).
    4. Check with carrier for video calling availability and restrictions.
    It also says this:

2. Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    It also says this:
    Isnt wifi a wireless coverage though?
    Apple made FaceTime an open protocol. Maybe webOS' video chat will incorporate FaceTime.. wouldn't that be something.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    I can't see Palm doing that. They know better especially with the situation. I'm sure it will be completely open one way or another
    You mean like the closed proprietary Verizon-only Skype solution they chose for the Pre 2?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apple made FaceTime an open protocol. Maybe webOS' video chat will incorporate FaceTime.. wouldn't that be something.
    Actually, Apple announced that FaceTime would be an 'open' protocol over a year ago, and have not taken any steps to publish the protocol.

At the moment it is as closed as the Skype protocol on the Pre 2.

-- Rod
    Both the TouchPad and Pre 3 will support skype video call, according to the demo video here:

go to 09:00
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You mean like the closed proprietary Verizon-only Skype solution they chose for the Pre 2?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Actually, Apple announced that FaceTime would be an 'open' protocol over a year ago, and have not taken any steps to publish the protocol.

At the moment it is as closed as the Skype protocol on the Pre 2.

-- Rod
    I can't, can't, can't understand that new trend which infected US market and poisoned industry. What's happened with you guys?
    Almost ten years ago, with introduction of 3G we had video telephony standardized by protocol which permitted various phones to establish video calls between each others. I was able to call my girlfriend from SE smartphone to her's dum bphone with ff camera, and to have video call. And now, after all this years we have proprietary apps to offer that same features we had for free without limitations. It's perverted and sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    However, unless you have a VERY solid 3G signal in an area with good bandwidth, it's practically unusable. A few quick uses of such a service on 3G quickly proves why Apple chose to restrict FaceTime to WiFi (maintain the quality).
    I've used my Pre+ as a mobile hotspot to Skype with my wife & children while on business travel. I've been in areas that were decidedly less than "top notch" for 3G coverage and it is still usable.

It isn't as clear and smooth as running on a high speed network connection, but it is certainly worthwhile to be able to see loved-ones.

Maybe Apple purchasers are more concerned with maintaining the purity of their device's "experience" but personally, I'll gladly pick seeing my kids with a little bit of blockiness and freezeups over not seeing them at all.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I've used my Pre+ as a mobile hotspot to Skype with my wife & children while on business travel. I've been in areas that were decidedly less than "top notch" for 3G coverage and it is still usable.

It isn't as clear and smooth as running on a high speed network connection, but it is certainly worthwhile to be able to see loved-ones.

Maybe Apple purchasers are more concerned with maintaining the purity of their device's "experience" but personally, I'll gladly pick seeing my kids with a little bit of blockiness and freezeups over not seeing them at all.

-Suntan
    That's a good point, and there are plenty of video chat apps on the iOS app store that allow you to do just that, but a vast majority of complaints are about quality.

It's about preserving your image, as a service/company. Being perceived as being better is a good thing, despite limitations.
    What I'm wondering is: is video chat ever going to be used? Because I used to have video chat capable phones long before Apple invented the revolutionary innovation of video chat and never, ever ever used the feature (have laptops with webcams now and never, ever use the feature, ditto all of my friends).

All of my iPhone 4-totin' buddies admit to have used it once or twice to verify the divine genius of Steve Jobs - it really worked, magically! - and never since.

Not that it's bad to have the option. It's great. Options always are. I'm just wondering how many people are actually going to make use of it, and then how often.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast