Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Exactly however they really aren't slow. It generally does take a while to get a good product out, and even if the pre 3 was in the pipe line before they probably went back to the drawling board with it. So they are taking as long as I thought it would take. Just look at RIM for proof rushing a product is not good.
    HP is correctly considered slow because the market has nearly lapped them. The tablet market and the phone market. To me it doesn't matter that they had to buy palm. That doesn't change the fact that when they should be first to market with products that offer substantially more they are second.

If it takes a year to make a flag ship smartphone to compete with an Evo 3d and an iphone 4/5 that's fine but if you're a year late starting you're still late. The fact that it takes you as long as it normally takes doesn't mean you're on time.

That's like if you've got an hour commute and have to be at work at 9AM but you left home at 9AM. Even if the commute is normal you're still getting there at 10AM and the fact that you're commute is normal doesn't make you not late. They are late to tablets and late to phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    HP is correctly considered slow because the market has nearly lapped them. The tablet market and the phone market. To me it doesn't matter that they had to buy palm. That doesn't change the fact that when they should be first to market with products that offer substantially more they are second.

If it takes a year to make a flag ship smartphone to compete with an Evo 3d and an iphone 4/5 that's fine but if you're a year late starting you're still late. The fact that it takes you as long as it normally takes doesn't mean you're on time.

That's like if you've got an hour commute and have to be at work at 9AM but you left home at 9AM. Even if the commute is normal you're still getting there at 10AM and the fact that you're commute is normal doesn't make you not late. They are late to tablets and late to phones.
    That seems like a tortured comparison. I'd say it's more like you were hired to do a job or new tasks were added to your job. When compared to people who have been doing the same tasks/job for a lot longer you're likley to appear to be behind - but given time, effort, and drive you will likely catch up.

From a marketing share perspective you're spot on in that it doesn't matter WHY the person or company is behind. But from a blame game perspective - it's hard to assign HP fault - they are damned if they rush it and damned if they don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    That seems like a tortured comparison. I'd say it's more like you were hired to do a job or new tasks were added to your job. When compared to people who have been doing the same tasks/job for a lot longer you're likley to appear to be behind - but given time, effort, and drive you will likely catch up.
    Yeah but eventually it becomes difficult to justify keeping someone who does less at the same salary on the payroll.
    From a marketing share perspective you're spot on in that it doesn't matter WHY the person or company is behind. But from a blame game perspective - it's hard to assign HP fault - they are damned if they rush it and damned if they don't.
    From an industry perspective HP is flying with this stuff. Going from literally zero to prototype to impending release in less than a year is actually remarkable even using an acquisition to give a boost. People seem to forget FAR too easily that HP never intended to enter the phone market but eventually decided to AFTER they picked up Palm.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    just for the lols i sent a link of this article to palm chat support.

i'm not really blaming hp for being behind. They gotta do what they gotta do to fold in Palm and try and catch up. i'm stating the fact that they are behind. But honestly if you're already up against it and a bit player in the smartphone market the public doesn't really care that you need time to deliver. they just go other places. You probably have to be faster then normal with your products just to catch up. take the tablet space. apple's released two, most of the other guys have relased one, Palm? Nothing yet. So yeah they are slow to the game. Good luck to em though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    From an industry perspective HP is flying with this stuff. Going from literally zero to prototype to impending release in less than a year is actually remarkable even using an acquisition to give a boost. People seem to forget FAR too easily that HP never intended to enter the phone market but eventually decided to AFTER they picked up Palm.
    I've been told by people on this forum that were at the Feb 9th event that they had face to face conversations with people at HP saying that everything coming out now was already in the Palm pipeline. If so then they aren't going that fast cause they were not starting from zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yeah but eventually it becomes difficult to justify keeping someone who does less at the same salary on the payroll.
    lol
    that just made me think automatically of unions and GM haha

My point still stands ... would it be better, considering they are "late" to make a unfinished product that will fall on it's face, or take the time needed to finish the product so it has a chance to do well? I might be miss worded when saying they aren't late -- obviously, going into an established market means they are late. However, with that said, they are still taking as long as I expected them to take. And just because something was in the Pipeline doesn't mean they didn't go back to the drawling board. They switch processors, and who knows what else might have been tweaked. HP wasn't going to release a phone as important as the Pre 3 without ensuring it's success.
    HP is late to what? Till the end of 2011 HP should release two announced phones and TouchPad tablet gama. If you add Pre2 to the pile you will have significant lineup even without lekaed slab-phone since Palm buyout.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    HP is late to what? Till the end of 2011 HP should release two announced phones and TouchPad tablet gama. If you add Pre2 to the pile you will have significant lineup even without lekaed slab-phone since Palm buyout.
    Late to the smartphone game. Some people believe the TouchPad should have released last year or at least before this summer. I believe it should be released when it's ready and not a moment sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    My point still stands ... would it be better, considering they are "late" to make a unfinished product that will fall on it's face, or take the time needed to finish the product so it has a chance to do well? I might be miss worded when saying they aren't late -- obviously, going into an established market means they are late. However, with that said, they are still taking as long as I expected them to take. And just because something was in the Pipeline doesn't mean they didn't go back to the drawling board. They switch processors, and who knows what else might have been tweaked. HP wasn't going to release a phone as important as the Pre 3 without ensuring it's success.
    a finished late product is not adequate. Especially if the specs, ecosystem, apps support or lack of, that are announced are all that will come with the finished product. You can be late if you're finished product is head and shoulders the best. You can't be late when you're trying to make an impression with fierce competition. And at some point you gotta deliver so much more then the competition that you raise the bar. i don't see that.

well they aren't going as fast as i expected. i expected a keyboardless slab the same year the original pre was released. I remember all the virtual keyboard hacks. i totally expected palm to release an update quick and then a slab. I Expected hd video recording and voice commands and plenty of other stuff last spring. So from my perspective they are slow. I don't care that their build time is the same as normal. I could care less how long it takes them to build stuff. I'm not an HP employee. I'm a consumer. My only question is when i'm ready to buy when i walk into the store do they have the product i expect/want.

regardless i think it's an issue even their CEO has acknowledged:

WSJ: What are H-P's strengths and weaknesses?

Mr. Apotheker:

...What's the weakness? We need to get way more business done in markets other than the U.S. We need to speak to our customers as one H-P. We need to fire up our innovation engine and get our products to market faster. It's not that we aren't innovative; it's that it takes too long to get to market. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...023973360.html
    how about we agree to disagree?
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 04/27/2011 at 12:02 AM.

well they aren't going as fast as i expected. i expected a keyboardless slab the same year the original pre was released. I remember all the virtual keyboard hacks. i totally expected palm to release an update quick and then a slab. I Expected hd video recording and voice commands and plenty of other stuff last spring. So from my perspective they are slow. I don't care that their build time is the same as normal. I could care less how long it takes them to build stuff. I'm not an HP employee. I'm a consumer. My only question is when i'm ready to buy when i walk into the store do they have the product i expect/want.

Agreed....Yes the OS is better than android and IOS....but does that justify missing out on the majority of things, voice commands, slabs (choice in phone style), shazaam and other apps that require unreleased APIs until recently.....
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    I'll never ever get a phone lacking a keyboard.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    well they aren't going as fast as i expected. i expected a keyboardless slab the same year the original pre was released. I remember all the virtual keyboard hacks. i totally expected palm to release an update quick and then a slab. I Expected hd video recording and voice commands and plenty of other stuff last spring. So from my perspective they are slow.
    Then your expectations were completely unreasonable and didn't take into account the limitations Palm was operating under, and just how small they really were. It's not Palm's fault you refused to take into account things like ... reality.

I don't care that their build time is the same as normal. I could care less how long it takes them to build stuff. I'm not an HP employee. I'm a consumer. My only question is when i'm ready to buy when i walk into the store do they have the product i expect/want.
    You're certainly entitled to your hopes and dreams. Just don't expect everyone to sit quietly by while your unrealistic expectations drive you to whine and complain. If you can't see how a $1 billion acquisition can cause a company to miss a product cycle, then I don't think you're qualified to comment on who's being "slow."
    Hi all,

Frankly I wouldn't want to be without a keyboard....but I want HP to come out with every kind of smartphone hardware, so we have something for every one!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    This is what the market demands first and foremost...and the way to display Web OS
    In all its glory.
    It IS the OS's last chance.
    PalmPre 3... Is nice but'll only continue their market decline.
    4.0 in. screen minimum...hi res super amoled...high powered processer.
    Let the WebOS shine!
    Id return to Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockky View Post
    4.0 in. screen minimum...hi res super amoled...high powered processer.
    Let the WebOS shine!
    Id return to Palm.
    Yeah, I've always wanted to carry a paperback-sized phone around.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    After a day using them I didn't notice it any more than when using my Treo 600,650,750....nor do the 80% of the smartphone users in the world that now use 3.5" screens or bigger and don't have keyboards.
    Better user experience actually...looks like HP might be seeing the blatantly obvious.
    WebOS is a work of art...would love to jump back!

Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Yeah, I've always wanted to carry a paperback-sized phone around.
    Hi all,

Perhaps it's just me, due to my disability I find it very hard to type on a flat piece of gorilla glass. I like a keyboard that is why I got a Palm Treo 300, 600, 650 & a Centro...that is why I will get a Pre3 as soon as they go up for sale!

Take care all,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast