Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HI all,

I am a bit confused and I admit this is beyond my technical knowlege....

So any of you please feel free to educate me on the following subject.

My latest copy of Consumer Reports arrived a few days ago....In the review of the Verizon Iphone there was a comment on the way CDMA works and it's limitations.....

This coupled with the front page article of this site, that the Pre3 may be on V's network that has me very confused.

(I don't subscribe to consumer reports online, only the magazine itself, which is an extra fee over and above the magazine fee, (which I BTW think it stinks, why have to pay them twice), therefore, I am retyping this by hand and I hope I copied it correctly).

QUOTING FROM CONSUMER REPORTS MAY 20111 PAGE 49,
    Article titled; Verizon Iphone rates highly, but we can't recommend it
    . (Iphone fan boys & girls, I'm not criticizing the Iphone, so please don't fall on me like a ton of bricks).

"Our tests confirmed a widely noted ease-or-use drawback to the Verizon phone: You cannot place a voice call and surf the web at the same time on the cell network, as you can with the with the AT & T version".

"That limitation stems from the CDMA technology used by Verizon's network, rather than from some feature of the Iphone".

Is that also the case of the Pre3 if it would appear on the V network or will the Pre3 deploy the use of a different internal technology to get around this limitation?

Since I don't own a Pre, PP or Pre 2, I have no idea if one would be able to surf and talk on any network at the same time on any of the current or recently past smartphones in the Pre line of phones.

(My current phone is a Centro on V, however I don't have a data plan, the reason being the Centro's data stream system is so slow as compare to high speed rates I have my home DSL network at home, that it felt as if I was still in the dial up dinosaur age).

Thanks as always,

Jay

PS: Mods: I wasn't sure if this should be posted in the Pre3 section or the CDMA section, if I screwed up posting in the wrong place, I am so very sorry)!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    If it's CDMA, it's one or the other. If it's LTE or something else... then it will be able to do more.

But when you are connected to wifi, it can always do both.
    http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2861/64/
    It is a possibility, but the tower hardware needs to be upgraded first. To my knowledge neither Verizon or Sprint has made any official declarations, but it would make sense that it would occur. If it does happen, they could easily take a great deal of wind from AT&T's sails with the "Can't simultaneously _____" ads.
    CDMA can not do data and phone call same time. Means if it comes to SPRINT or VERIZON, which we know it will come to at least one of these, it will not be able to do both at the same time. (unless it has a 4G radio or WIFI, which we know it will have one of those). Of course using WiFi you'll have to be connected to a WiFi network.

So yea ...
  5.    #5  
    Hi all,

Thank you one and all, I think we will have to see what AT&T does or wait to see if and when a 4g unit comes out...back to what I have been saying for months...I want only a 1 yr contract!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The current version of CDMA doesn't allow simultaneous data and voice. If they upgraded their CDMA network/towers (I believe it was called CDMA2000 or CDMA-2X or something to that effect) then they could do what GSM does in the matter of simultaneous voice and data.

LTE will also have this option (simultaneous voice and data) but whether or not LTE carriers will allow it is a different story.
    Last edited by Achill3s; 04/06/2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    You will only be able to do voice or data but not both when connected to Verizon mobile network. If you have wifi for data then you could do data and voice at the same time though.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Sprint has the same limitation, and I rarely ever ran into it.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  9.    #9  
    Hi all,

Thank you all. We have to wait and see.

Take care,

Jay
    I could be mistaken but I think verizon's htc thunderbolt can do both voice and data and that its not because of Lte. Vzw may have made it exclusive to that phone though.
    It is a limitation of CDMA, as others have said. However I am very suspicious of the CR article condemning the iPhone on that one issue alone. Typically they rate VZW at the top of the carrier list and AT&T at the bottom, which is the way it should be.

AT&T, Verizon at opposite ends of Consumer Reports survey - FierceWireless

Looks like for this article they were looking for any reason they could to put down VZW. As others have said, I have never found reason to both surf and call simultaneously. What you have to ask yourself is, have I ever done this? And, how important is it to me? IMO it is nowhere near the level of importance that would warrant choosing AT&T over any other carrier. YMMV
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    with sprint can you do voice over wimax and browse the web over 3g (think VOLTE)?
    WiMax is 4G. If you have 4G, then you have that capability anyway, without needing to rely on 3G.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I could be mistaken but I think verizon's htc thunderbolt can do both voice and data and that its not because of Lte. Vzw may have made it exclusive to that phone though.
    SVDO is an upgrade to EVDO and allows for Simultaneous Voice and Data and is available on the Thunderbolt supposedly. It is unclear if this feature is enabled yet (to me) on VZW networks.

Verizon launching simultaneous voice and data over CDMA 1X Advanced SVDO network soon The Cell Phone Junkie

EV-DO/SVDO
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    It is a limitation of CDMA, as others have said. However I am very suspicious of the CR article condemning the iPhone on that one issue alone. Typically they rate VZW at the top of the carrier list and AT&T at the bottom, which is the way it should be.
    This is addressed in SVDO which it appears VZW is implementing or has implemented.
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    I have to tell you, I have never had any carrier but Verizon, and I have never missed the ability to surf and talk simultaneously. Really doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. So I have to wait until the call is over to go online.....okaaay.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    I have to tell you, I have never had any carrier but Verizon, and I have never missed the ability to surf and talk simultaneously. Really doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. So I have to wait until the call is over to go online.....okaaay.....
    Actually I was in the same boat as you ... As I have always had sprint, during this internet boom.. But now I also have att.. And you know what?!.. I love it.. I have a bluetooth on almost all day.. So while I'm talking the phone is rarely on my ear.. I'm getting other things done while on the phone.. Whether its updating my facebook/twitter status' checking NEW emails.. Surfing a website.. I'm being more productive.. So cue the old addage.. Don't knock it till you have tried it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    There are times that I would like to have internet while talking, but I prefer the better call quality on cdma networks vs gsm.
    Yes, can't overlook the call quality. That's what initially brought me to CDMA and Sprint over a decade ago. Still true today, based on my recent experiemces with ATT.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I own a Thunderbolt. And yes it currently does allow you to make a phone call and use data simultaneously.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast