1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    engadget link

Looks like another major player in smartphones is going to use the same chip used in Pre3
    I'm surprised. Samsung produces processors themselves and they are quite capable at that! Why didn't they use their own design?!
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I'm surprised. Samsung produces processors themselves and they are quite capable at that! Why didn't they use their own design?!
    The dual core 1 GHz is less performing than 1.4 G Hz single core. Sammy might have thought to buy one than make one.
    So we confirmed MSM8x55 = MSM 8255?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Also found this article...

MSM7x30 (MSM7230 MSM7630), MSM8x55 (MSM8255 MSM8655) and QSD8x50A (QSD8250A QSD8650A) are Qualcomm's 2nd gen Snapdragon processors. How fast are they? - Smartphone Benchmarks (SmartBench 2010/Quadrant) Forum

Look at the update on Oct 2010. 7230 is the processor in the Veer... so I guess we can embrace the love of UberKernel?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    The dual core 1 GHz is less performing than 1.4 G Hz single core. Sammy might have thought to buy one than make one.
    Well, as long as you only run one thing. Dual cores can have advantages in energy consumption as well. All the stuff that runs in the background can be assigned to two cores, meaning in theory they are able to stay in lower states.

And since in todays processors the cores can be clocked independently or one can even be turned completely off, a second core does not harm much.

I don't really think the difference between 1.4 GHz single- or 1.0 GHz dual-core will be huge. The potential advantages however...

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Look at the update on Oct 2010. 7230 is the processor in the Veer... so I guess we can embrace the love of UberKernel?
    Seeing how fast the Veer is at 800 MHz and how small the battery, I would rather undervolt instead of overclock.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Well, as long as you only run one thing. Dual cores can have advantages in energy consumption as well. All the stuff that runs in the background can be assigned to two cores, meaning in theory they are able to stay in lower states.

And since in todays processors the cores can be clocked independently or one can even be turned completely off, a second core does not harm much.

I don't really think the difference between 1.4 GHz single- or 1.0 GHz dual-core will be huge. The potential advantages however...
    A dual core 1ghz processor wont be able to load up apps faster, and in theory yes it helps in multitasking. But the processor in the Pre 3 is powerful enough to run multiple applications at the same time.

I am, however, interested in seeing the benchmarks. Because DC processors help in games and therefore might be able to do more. We'll see I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    So we confirmed MSM8x55 = MSM 8255?
    Actually I take that back. Pre 3 is MSM8655, not MSM8255.

8255 is HSPA only, and it's been announced Pre 3 is EV-DO as well.

Mobile Processors | Snapdragon | Qualcomm