Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, Ruby kept referring to the Pre 3 as a "workhorse". To me, that means that HP realizes that it will not have much of an identity with consumers (following in the footsteps of the Pre, Pre Plus, and Pre 2). My guess is that they think that the Veer is a more unique product. I'll bet they expect the Pre 3 to be the type of phone that an enterprise customer distributes to its employees like a Blackberry.
    This is my biggest fear!! That they will eventually follow BB footsteps of the past.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    if that's the case then they shoulda put the FF camera on the veer instead. i think ruby misspoke, in fact i think he totally is disconnected right now. it looked like that to me.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    HP is acting like they switched strategy toward webOS smartphones after Hurd's departure. Maybe that's why HP is acting so erratic?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    if that's the case then they shoulda put the FF camera on the veer instead. i think ruby misspoke, in fact i think he totally is disconnected right now. it looked like that to me.
    That may be true.
    When I say that they don't talk about the pre 3 much. I meant as a consumer phone.Ruby does mention asa work horse and a phone for playtime too but he's oringinal Palm.Hp keeps saying interprise interprise.That would be good if they were talking about star trek but their not.But all aside I don't like the thought of it being advertised as interprise because products for corporations are usually moreexpensive then consumer products.
    Playing devil's advocate: HP's time-to-market actually stands to be majorly improved with the Pre 3 / TouchPad launches. Should they in fact become available in June as is rumored, they would be released a little under four months (about 15 weeks).

Compare that to HP's last big announcement, the Slate 500, which took very nearly a year to reach very limited availability.

So I'd say HP are on the right track. And don't forget that HP's intention is to release six devices this year - so if the Veer is actually just about to be released as Ruby said on the engadget show, we'll have a spring lineup (Pre2, Veer), a summer lineup in June (Pre3, Touchpad four months after announcement) at which point a fall lineup could well be announced. We'll be able to tell whether HP's time to market is still accellerating when we know when that next volley of webOS hardware after the Think Beyond Three is going to become available. Until then, two months to Veer and four months to Pre3 and TouchPad is really a marked improvement over past performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    That may be true.
    When I say that they don't talk about the pre 3 much. I meant as a consumer phone.Ruby does mention asa work horse and a phone for playtime too but he's oringinal Palm.Hp keeps saying interprise interprise.That would be good if they were talking about star trek but their not.But all aside I don't like the thought of it being advertised as interprise because products for corporations are usually moreexpensive then consumer products.
    Originally the Pre minus was the workhorse and the pixi was for the other ppl. That's pretty much how they are doing this. Just bc it is a workhorse doesn't mean hp is trying to go for business only with the pre3
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Originally the Pre minus was the workhorse and the pixi was for the other ppl. That's pretty much how they are doing this. Just bc it is a workhorse doesn't mean hp is trying to go for business only with the pre3
    Well I hope not. But If next year come around and HP pulls this waiting game again I can't say that I will stick around.They can't make anymore excuses about the merger and paper work and blah,blah,blah.
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    Well I hope not. But If next year come around and HP pulls this waiting game again I can't say that I will stick around.They can't make anymore excuses about the merger and paper work and blah,blah,blah.
    I think once the pre 3, veer and touchpad been released we'll start seeing more info about the next round of devices. But if not and they don't release anything and keep delaying products hp is doomed. Of course I don't think that will happen, but its possible
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Seems like it will be delayed, atleast in Sweden.

Read an interview with the local product manager for the Touchpad and she referred to the webOS devices that would be released in other countries during the summer ie you got the impression that it won't hit the Swedes until later on.

So it seems like its not a world wide launch and many ppl are in for a even longer wait.
    Haven't been on the forums in a while...but just wanted to state that many of us who jumped in on launch day in 2009 are within days of being able to upgrade...and if the Pre 3 doesn't hit soon, my family is moving to Android. My daughter is especially antsy -- her Pre's camera and vibration motor have both stopped working...and we aren't dropping $100 for an Asurion replacement when we are about ready to sign a new contract.

Sure hope HP gets their A** in gear.
  11.    #31  
    Like I have stated before about this forum topic.It is not to downgrade or draw bad attention to the Pre3.I want to draw positive attention to what I believe is a great device.So with that said this is not a thread about HP's incapabilities.I just want them to see that they have a following and that when next year comes around.They will remember our comments,posts and "make things right" 2x.
    Last edited by prethadd81; 04/04/2011 at 10:27 PM.
  12.    #32  
    Ok so I a read few post here and there stating that one of the reason why HP isn't talking about the Pre3 more is because the Pre3 won't launch until summer.Well that makes sense but this is HP's flagship phone.The veer may be fast but there are people who need more screen realestate.So this is for those people.You don't want people to forget about the pre3 and I'm not talking about us WebOS loyalist.I'am talking about the independents.The ones HP needs to win over.The newcomers.I just think there should be a repeated wave of Pre3 in your face and then when it's closer to release.Change the Pre3 always in your face to the Pre3 is always on your mind.
    PalmOS user since '96, webOS user since Pre launch day.

I gave up and moved to android months ago.

Having an in-house team port apps to seed the app catalog is a really clever strategy but lack of hardware delivery is going to doom them. TouchPad needed to ship before the iPad 2's supply chain crunch was resolved - now it looks like it's going to ship a couple of months before iPad 3 at best. The Pre3 will be going up against the EVO 3D and the iPhone 5.

It's over guys. I tend to think HP has to see the writing on the wall here - they made a bad bet.

I just imagine what could have been had RIM bought Palm after the Pre launch. That was the window.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post

Having an in-house team port apps to seed the app catalog is a really clever strategy but lack of hardware delivery is going to doom them. TouchPad needed to ship before the iPad 2's supply chain crunch was resolved - now it looks like it's going to ship a couple of months before iPad 3 at best. The Pre3 will be going up against the EVO 3D and the iPhone 5.

It's over guys. I tend to think HP has to see the writing on the wall here - they made a bad bet.

I just imagine what could have been had RIM bought Palm after the Pre launch. That was the window.
    If you go and google the IP5 you will see that it might not even be out until the fall.So the Pre3 will actually be out before that if that article is correct.As for the IPD2,yes it's slimmer and lighter but this isn't their first IPD.I'm pretty sure the touchpad 2 will be slimmer,faster and we don't know for sure if the TouchPad we seen is the final build.Before you say it can't be done.Think again!! Samsung did,so why can't hp??! Maybe you need to hold one first.
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post

As someone pointed out, there is a good chance the iPhone 5 will not be out until Fall 2011. The iPad 3 will not be coming out this Fall, I don't believe that rumor for one second. Why redefine an entire market and then make that product out dated? They MIGHT release an iPad Mini of sorts (7-8 inch) but I don't think an official iPad 3 will be released this year.

And the TouchPad will rock your socks off with speed. You think the dual 1 ghz processor is fast on iPad 2? Imagine how powerful a dual 1.2 snapdragon will be. The only thing the TouchPad need are apps, and for all we know there are "killer apps" in the works (such as movie and photo editing software).

So I think the TouchPad will be fine if HP plays it's card right. They have to focus on things you can't do with the iPad 2. Like answering your phone. Like being able to Touch To Share. Synergy ( they can make this sound like an exclusive feature ). Being able to truly multi task.

These things are important to focus on. Show your strength and none of your weakness.
    I think they'll ramp up the talk maybe a month or so from launch. I'd bet they don't want to create a buzz then having the lay person wait for too long. if it comes out around june i'd bet the beginning of may we start seeing the Pre 3 and the touchpad in advertising. Not to mention you'll seen HP people on all those financial shows talking about product launches and that will serve to create some buzz too. Kinda like when actors hit the talk show circuit before a movie launch. I also wouldn't be surprised if they give them to tv talk shows and such as product placement.
    I think that maybe the Pre 3 isn't quite ready to srtut its stuff to the public yet, otherwise they would be showing it off by now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Sorry, but I can't see HP doing anything in a "blitz" fashion. As much as I want the Pre 3 to actually exist and be successful, HP's message seems more like a pipe dream than an announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I think that maybe the Pre 3 isn't quite ready to srtut its stuff to the public yet, otherwise they would be showing it off by now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'd be scared if they started hyping months and months and months before it was close to being launched if the average person would get frustrated having to wait 2 or 3 months through hype and advertising and eventually just tune out. I'm not sure that would be in their best interest either. Die hard palm users are frustrated with the time between the feb 9 announcement and launch. I'd think it may be smart to wait to push it until it's closer to whenever the launch date is.
    I find it odd there's no rumors of release dates. Its April, If they're working with multiple carriers you'd think there be a leak somewhere with a release date. If they're planning on releasing 6 devices this year that would make you think the 3 is coming early summer not late summer, but something doesn't feel right. At the Engadget Show Ruby said he couldnt remember all the specs on the 3 b/c he has the new phones theyre working on in his head, so that makes me think the 3 really is ready, but why no info?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast