Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Play review -- Engadget

I know its the Xperia play, but it uses a slower clocked cpu and the same gpu...

Honestly, I dont really care for gaming too much.. I care more about smoothness of the core apps, OS itself and no lag in doing anything.
    I care about gaming. And the biggest dissapointnent about the pre3 for me is the crappy graphics card. Adreno is very weak. HTC proves it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I care about gaming. And the biggest dissapointnent about the pre3 for me is the crappy graphics card. Adreno is very weak. HTC proves it.
    watch the video above, it looks good to me
    The Adreno 200 may have performed a little slower than it's rivals at the time, but the Adreno 205 compares quite favorably with the current mobile GPU landscape. It's just about neck and neck with a PowerVR SGX 540, which in and of itself is considerably more powerful that the iPhone 4's GPU. Not a bad little chipset, IMHO.

3DMarkMobile GPU showdown: Adreno 205 vs PowerVR SGX540 Android and Me
    Quote Originally Posted by evanw View Post
    The Adreno 200 may have performed a little slower than it's rivals at the time, but the Adreno 205 compares quite favorably with the current mobile GPU landscape. It's just about neck and neck with a PowerVR SGX 540, which in and of itself is considerably more powerful that the iPhone 4's GPU. Not a bad little chipset, IMHO.

3DMarkMobile GPU showdown: Adreno 205 vs PowerVR SGX540 – Android and Me
    Unfortunately, as it has been pointed out before, I don't trust that benchmark test at all. The phone with the SGX540 was on Android 2.1 while the others were on 2.2 and I guarantee the optimizations included in 2.2 make a difference.

I still think that the Adreno 205 isn't as good as the SGX540 and it sucks that HP has always partnered with Qualcomm. (And the SGX540 has been around for a while. Qualcomm is still way behind in GPUs)

That's why I was super disappointed in the Pre 3 when it was announced, but that's what annual upgrades are for...
    Last edited by WindyCityPre; 03/30/2011 at 04:56 PM.
    I guess I don't really understand what the big deal is with the GPU. This is not the Adreno 200, it is the 205. It seems to perform pretty well in the Xperia Play and the Pre3 is clocked 400 Mhz higher than the Xperia. We won't know exactly how well the GPU will perform on the webOS platform until we actually get our hands on it, but I don't think the Adreno 205 chip is anything to get upset about.
    Upset, definitely not. Disappointed..for sure. GPUs make a huge difference in any app that is hardware accelerated. If you're specifically talking about games, then you have to remember they're only getting more hardcore as time goes on. The 205 is already 6 months to a year behind the SGX540. In a years time, chances are high that there will be mobile games that the adreno 205 can't run acceptibly, and the Pre3 isn't even out yet. Who knows what direction games will take 6 months after the Pre3 is released. That's what I'm thinking anyway, don't know for sure.
    I can tell you that the Adreno 200 coupled with the 800 mhz cpu on the Tmobile G2 is rockin fast - games play as smooth as butter - literally.

The 205 is several levels above this, and with a CPU that is registered for 1.5 GHZ, but clocked only to 1.4GHZ, I expect that it will perform VERY well on the Pre3.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Wow, your post is the first time I've read something positive about the Adreno 200.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    No offence but the 205 looks good on paper but it still is a good few notches below the SGX540 which was released in summer of last year (Galaxy S). However Qualcomm makes very good CPUs while their GPUs are not very "future proof" and can look very deceiving on certain benchmarks unlike PowerVR for example. I mean, heck, the Hummingbird line can still hold its ground against Tegra 2 (in terms of GPU performance at least) for example and it was released last year.

http://smartphonebenchmarks.com/foru...ich-is-faster/
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post
    It seems to perform pretty well in the Xperia Play and the Pre3 is clocked 400 Mhz higher than the Xperia.
    About the Experia...

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play review -- Engadget

In terms of the hardware that makes the wheels go round, the Xperia Play relies on a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon chip, which comes with an Adreno 205 GPU. Neither is a slouch, but it's obvious that more could, and perhaps should, have been included in this bargain. Looking around at the spring / summertime smartphone landscape, a potential Play buyer will be confronted by Motorola's Atrix and Droid Bionic, LG's Optimus 2X and Optimus 3D, Samsung's Galaxy S II, and HTC's EVO 3D -- all of whom tout dual-core SOCs and generous apportionments of RAM. Oh yes, about the RAM. There's only 400MB 512MB of it on the Xperia Play (Update: We double-checked with Sony Ericsson and found that the Play comes with 512MB of RAM, 400MB of which is available for applications to use) . It may seem overly demanding to expect every new smartphone to match up to those benchmark destroyers, but we must remember the Xperia Play is about gaming and games will make use of every last ounce of performance you can give them. As it stands, it's a healthy and sprightly device today, but do be aware of the gathering storm clouds above its future. It's simply not powerful enough for us to give you any assurances about its long-term viability.
    Relevant I suppose if you intend to do a fair amount of gaming on your phone... ...and you have confidence that WebOS will even get some of the more demanding games in a year or so.

-Suntan
    This next generation of Adreno GPUs are actually quite good. I believe the Adreno GPU found in the Touchpad will not only beat the Tegra 2 devices, but also compare fairly favorably to the Apple A5 processor (which is very powerful).
    Lol...lol. You guys are some serious tech geeks. The average user doesnt know, nor care about Adreno, GPUs, CPUs or which is better as long as the device is nicely optimized and appears super fast, responsive, smooth, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Lol...lol. You guys are some serious tech geeks. The average user doesnt know, nor care about Adreno, GPUs, CPUs or which is better as long as the device is nicely optimized and appears super fast, responsive, smooth, etc.
    Ah the tasks you mention clearly have little to do with the GPU/CPU. :/

Btw why do you mention average consumers. What do they have to do with this thread?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If it's good enough for the fabled PlayStation Phone, it's probably good enough for me. Especially in combination with the much faster processor.
    Kinda off topic, but Engadget just posted an update on the Qualcomm's 1.5GHz dual-core MSM8660 destroys the competition in majestic benchmark run that seems to reference HP making a great decision going with Qualcomm's technology for future mobile and table interfaces.

Looking forward to seeing them in action! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Kinda off topic, but Engadget just posted an update on the Qualcomm's 1.5GHz dual-core MSM8660 destroys the competition in majestic benchmark run that seems to reference HP making a great decision going with Qualcomm's technology for future mobile and table interfaces.

Looking forward to seeing them in action! Sorli...
    Why does the iPhone 3GS score 2.5x better than the iPhone 4 in that benchmark test?? That doesn't make any sense.
    Based on this line
    The taxing OpenGL ES 2.0 test you see above shows the new Snapdragon doubling the frame rates churned out by Motorola's mighty Atrix 4G (which admittedly has to work harder thanks to its higher-res display)
    I'd assume the retina display on the iphone 4 will be something to do with that
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    Based on this line

I'd assume the retina display on the iphone 4 will be something to do with that
    Oh, duh.. Thanks. That's what I get for not reading. I guess I was thinking it was a stress test independent of the display, but benchmarks are never independent of the display so I don't know what I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    Why does the iPhone 3GS score 2.5x better than the iPhone 4 in that benchmark test?? That doesn't make any sense.
    from the article

"the Egypt benchmark can only run at native resolution, which is what's causing some seemingly aberrant results such as the iPhone 4 (960 x 640) ranking below the iPhone 3GS (480 x 320)."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast