Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    News flash guys and gals. Spoke to a Verizon rep and he mentioned that Big Red will be getting the HP Pre 3, however it will NOT be 4G LTE ready. It simply wasn't designed with that in mind, which is a bit of a shame considering the BLAZING speed of LTE so far. The rep's tech boss downloaded 13 songs on a standard 3G Droid handset in a little over 11 minutes. He downloaded the same 13 songs on the Thunderbolt LTE in 11 SECONDS. That my friends is BLAZING fast. I LOVE WebOS but I am sorry to say that I will be leaving for Android because LTE is coming to my area and I want hardware that can take advantage of it. I am already sick of waiting for HP anyway and I refuse to wait until the century when the HP Pre will ever have an LTE radio in them. I look forward to the Touchpad but alas I will be rockin a superfast LTE Android phone after April 10th.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecaringkind View Post
    News flash guys and gals. Spoke to a Verizon rep and he mentioned that Big Red will be getting the HP Pre 3, however it will NOT be 4G LTE ready. It simply wasn't designed with that in mind, which is a bit of a shame considering the BLAZING speed of LTE so far. The rep's tech boss downloaded 13 songs on a standard 3G Droid handset in a little over 11 minutes. He downloaded the same 13 songs on the Thunderbolt LTE in 11 SECONDS. That my friends is BLAZING fast. I LOVE WebOS but I am sorry to say that I will be leaving for Android because LTE is coming to my area and I want hardware that can take advantage of it. I am already sick of waiting for HP anyway and I refuse to wait until the century when the HP Pre will ever have an LTE radio in them. I look forward to the Touchpad but alas I will be rockin a superfast LTE Android phone after April 10th.
    You sure the LTE wasn't using wifi?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint has stated it's looking into making the change to LTE so their current '4G' network will go down the drain. I think Verizon is the only carrier HP is looking at seriously with the Pre 3 at the moment.
    It was OTA. That kind of speed is DA TRUTH! Besides, as compelling as WebOS is it is still shackled when you consider the hardware. The Pre 3 is very good hardware wise, however it is surrounded by Android phones that have GREAT hardware and are rapidly being supplied with 4G radios to take advantage of a lightning fast network. HP dropped the ball people. Again, I will always love WebOS, but HP REALLY needs to step their game up on cell phones. They are simply behind the curve. When you count the number of superior hardware phones that have dropped since the Pre 3 announcement and are going to be available before we get a sniff of the Pre 3; it gets pretty embarrassing...
    Newsflash guys, I spoke to a verizon representative and he told me the Pre 3 would have 5G internet.... a million jiggabytes down.

I'd take it with a grain of salt because he is a verizon rep but we'll see.
    HSPA + is a:

3G transitional
    (3.5G, 3.75G, 3.9G)
    3GPP family

HSPA · HSPA+ · LTE (E-UTRA)
    3GPP2 family

EV-DO Rev. A · EV-DO Rev. B
    IEEE family

Mobile WiMAX (IEEE 802.16e-2005) · Flash-OFDM · IEEE 802.20

Pre3 CPU: Qualcomm MSM8x55 (1.4 GHz)

From Qualcomm:
    Improved web browsing and network connectivity with a HSPA+ modem supporting high speed data rates up to 14Mbps.

HSPA+: DL 14.4 Mbps / UL 5.76 Mbps
    DO: DL 14.7 Mbps / UL 5.4 Mbps
    1x: DL / UL 307.2 kbps

link for the pdf:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...kwWDpw&cad=rja

4G:

4G (IMT-Advanced)
    3GPP family

LTE Advanced
    IEEE family

IEEE 802.16m

Scroll down to the end of this link: Evolved HSPA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Summary: the Pre3 is not 4G. Hopes on the Pre4 with a dual-core CPU 4G . LTE/WiMax or with a multicore CPU.
    Last edited by akitayo; 04/05/2011 at 10:01 PM.
  7.    #47  
    That doesn't surprise me. LTE Radio's seem to be bulky. WiMAX can be smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Sprint has stated it's looking into making the change to LTE so their current '4G' network will go down the drain. I think Verizon is the only carrier HP is looking at seriously with the Pre 3 at the moment.
    We know HP is sending it to ATT. I don't think the Pre 3 will be exclusive to any carrier, but I do think one (hopefully Sprint) will get it first, then ATT and lastly, Verizon. I don't think Verizon is that excited for the Pre brand. They aren't pushing Pre 2, they didn't really push Pre +. And they just got the Pre 2. Why would they want to release it's follow up in the Summer of 2011? More like Fall 2011. And I think ALL THREE carriers will get it.
    Yeah i don't use 4G every day...but when i need it, it comes in handy. Its great being able to update your Podcast quickly while not in range of wifi. Here are my wimax speeds:
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if Sprint abandoned WiMax, but I doubt that will be their initiative. They've invested heavily in their venture with Clearwire to ge all the WiMax service areas setup. Although, the way that their entire infrastructure has been put together, they can actually swap out the WiMax gear and install LTE at the towers rather easily. I remember watching a video on the Clearwire web site where the engineers were testing and explaining the technology that goes into WiMax.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I am sure it will be 4G on Sprint. That is there focus right now and if doesn't have 4G, then the Pre3 will be dead on arrival. I doubt Sprint wants to throw anything into marketing a Pre3 that is not 4G. It's marketing 101.
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeion View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if Sprint abandoned WiMax, but I doubt that will be their initiative...
    The same Clear WiMax cell tower electronics can do WiMax or LTE. For the older towers it is a different card. Sprint LTE would be at the same bands as WiMax.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    HSPA + is a:

3G transitional
    (3.5G, 3.75G, 3.9G)
    3GPP family

HSPA · HSPA+ · LTE (E-UTRA)
    3GPP2 family

EV-DO Rev. A · EV-DO Rev. B
    IEEE family

Mobile WiMAX (IEEE 802.16e-2005) · Flash-OFDM · IEEE 802.20

Pre3 CPU: Qualcomm MSM8x55 (1.4 GHz)

From Qualcomm:
    Improved web browsing and network connectivity with a HSPA+ modem supporting high speed data rates up to 14Mbps.

HSPA+: DL 14.4 Mbps / UL 5.76 Mbps
    DO: DL 14.7 Mbps / UL 5.4 Mbps
    1x: DL / UL 307.2 kbps

link for the pdf:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...kwWDpw&cad=rja

4G:

4G (IMT-Advanced)
    3GPP family

LTE Advanced
    IEEE family

IEEE 802.16m

Scroll down to the end of this link: Evolved HSPA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Summary: the Pre3 is not 4G. Hopes on the Pre4 with a dual-core CPU 4G . LTE/WiMax or with a multicore CPU.

There you go. 4G does not exist and is quite far away from actually being 4G
    4G is a myth (and a confusing mess) - Dec. 1, 2010

I heard a radio ad the other day advertising the 3GS, stating that it would run on the "Bell's fastest 4G network"

I really had to shake my head at that, and how people believe this stuff without doing research.
  13.    #53  
    4G according to the ITU is HSPA+ and current gen WiMAX/LTE. ITU changed their minds I think around nov/dec last year.
    Pffft. My Pre Minus is SUPER-5G capable and lightning fast! Its SUPER-5G radio uses less energy than comparable "4G WiMax" radios. And to top it all off, SUPER-5G is more widely available than 4G.

(I just defined HSDPA as SUPER-5G. Can't nobody do nothin' against that. Marketing rules, reality drools)
    Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jkaczy View Post
    I am sure it will be 4G on Sprint. That is there focus right now and if doesn't have 4G, then the Pre3 will be dead on arrival. I doubt Sprint wants to throw anything into marketing a Pre3 that is not 4G. It's marketing 101.
    Yeah, like HPalm's marketing has even been @ level 101.......
    Leo's Indian foray in BS'ing......
    Rooby's "in the coming months"....
    Carrier announcements.....
    3 or 4G indications........

HP's latest tag line "Don't have expectations, you can't get diss appointed...."
    What does any of that have to do with marketing? (Okay, they should do the popular thing and lie to the consumer: call the Pre 3 4G just for the hell of it since 4G is only a marketing ploy anyway. Good point.)

The rest is moot because marketing of the new products has yet to start. Announcing to fans like us who have been screaming for months that the lack of webOS news could mean that HP only means to let webOS die that no, webOS isn't going to die and that new products are in the pipeline doesn't count as marketing. It only counts as a product announcement.
    Leo said he wants to speed up HP's time to market. And it seems like Veer's time to market will be 2-3 months... as opposed to HP Slate 500's time-to-market of about a year.
    I'am also surprised a bit. I thought on a site like this there would be more people who actually know a bit about technology and don't fall into that "4G"-buzz.

4G is something that the american carriers have invented to sell even more phones. If it would go according to the original ITU-plans you wouldn't see anything related to 4G until in two or three years.

Then Sprint went ahead and relabled their WiMax-network to be "4G" (which at that time was a plain and simple LIE).

Then the other carriers followed and started to call LTE and HSPA+ also 4G. Just for the sake to also be able to add a 4G at the head or bottom of their phones. And THEN the ITU had to react and stated that whatever those carriers call 4G now IS 4G...

- Are HSDPA+, LTE and WiMax faster than HSDPA, UMTS and Evdo Rev. 1? You bet they are.

One reason that speaks against the Pre 3 having WiMax (Sprints 4G) is that I think that there is no chipset out yet (that I have heard of) that is capable to have WiMax and be a "World-phone". But chances are, that I just haven't noticed

As for LTE, the same rules apply )

Edit: I would wish that you just wouldn't use "4G" when you are talking about phones and simply use the actual technology behind it. So this would be: LTE, HSPA+, WiMax, HSPA and EvDo Rev. 1. At least on a tech-site we should keep the level a bit higher than the marketing-level-zero!

2nd Edit: I just made a little search and it seems to be the case that there actually ARE chipsets that support WiMax AND GSM.

Oh and the Evo wasn't the first (Sprint-flavour-)4G-Phone one of the REAL first ones were phones like this^^
    http://www.htc.com/www/product/max4g/overview.html <-- craptastic?!?
    Last edited by vito-andolini; 04/08/2011 at 09:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    There you go. 4G does not exist and is quite far away from actually being 4G
    4G is a myth (and a confusing mess) - Dec. 1, 2010

I heard a radio ad the other day advertising the 3GS, stating that it would run on the "Bell's fastest 4G network"

I really had to shake my head at that, and how people believe this stuff without doing research.
    Agree. IMO the operators are taking as 4G the new better speed they have now on their networks. Some faster than the others. They are making a speed bridge to a 4G reality but are not totally 4G yet.

In this moment the general user will be confused for some time until the world operators adopt the real 4G speeds and LTE advanced to converge on a standard speed point. That will cost more money to invest and some years.

SK is claiming they have the world´s fastest 4G LTE advanced network. They said that on a 3G network it took 6,5 minutes to download a 700 MB video, with a 4G LTE advanced it took 9,3 seconds only.

A Video about it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Yeah i don't use 4G every day...but when i need it, it comes in handy. Its great being able to update your Podcast quickly while not in range of wifi. Here are my wimax speeds:
    That is interesting and very fast. Would you make a 700MB file download more or less to see how many seconds it will take to , and a comparison on a normal 3G network ? Thanks
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast