Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't care that much about 4G either, but I can see it helping when we talk about specs.
    If what the Inspire has, that both At&t and HTC call 4G which is actually HSPA+, is also what the Veer and Pre3 has, then from that standard, the Pre3 is 4G.
    Just call me Berd.
    I think that if you are with sprint and are going to get a new phone + contract it might as well be a 4g phone because your going to end up paying the 10$ extra anyway, so why not at least have that capability.

Also i was thinking of what sprint did with the galaxy s phone they didn't keep the same form like everyone else did, they added a front facing camera, a qwerty keyboard plus 4g to it, So why not do that with HP?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    im not concerned about 4G because we just got 3G a few months ago!!!!!!
    I'm always connected to a wifi, so 4g is no biggie to me.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I don't care that much about 4G either, but I can see it helping when we talk about specs.
    If what the Inspire has, that both At&t and HTC call 4G which is actually HSPA+, is also what the Veer and Pre3 has, then from that standard, the Pre3 is 4G.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaEMB89 View Post
    I think that if you are with sprint and are going to get a new phone + contract it might as well be a 4g phone because your going to end up paying the 10$ extra anyway, so why not at least have that capability.

Also i was thinking of what sprint did with the galaxy s phone they didn't keep the same form like everyone else did, they added a front facing camera, a qwerty keyboard plus 4g to it, So why not do that with HP?
    That is one possibility actually, something I thought about. One possible reason for not mentioning carrier agreements is because Sprint isn't getting the Pre 3 but another form factor with Pre 3 specs (plus WiMAX of course). Of course it's just a fans dream, I rather doubt this is the case -- but it's possible.
    Guys,
    Just so you know....

Here's the thread discussing whether it's good or not IF the Pre3 has 4G:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ithout-4g.html

astraith's thread here, that you're posting in, is if At&t and HTC call HSPA+ 4G,
    then by that same standard, if the Pre3 has HSPA+, it is also a 4G device.
    Just call me Berd.
    Has sprint released any smartphones recently that dont have 4g? Its a feature set Sprint will probably push for especially if they want this to be a tier 1 device.
    Even if the Pre 3 does not have a 4G radio right now, there is no reason to believe that it won't have one by the time it is finally released. One upside to Palm's nebulous promise of a summer release date is that it gives them time to add hardware to it so that "in the coming months" it has something like a 4G radio if that is what the carriers want. (And it's a pretty safe bet that they do want 4G phones.)
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    Has sprint released any smartphones recently that dont have 4g? Its a feature set Sprint will probably push for especially if they want this to be a tier 1 device.
    Really the only "major" release without 4G is the Echo bu thats probably because of how much battery power is needed for those two screens. But all the other major releases -- Atrix 4G (when it comes to sprint), Nexus S 4G, and HTC EVO 4G. Which is why I think Sprint will "request" 4G to be in their Pre 3.
    With Sprint going LTE..or at least i thought they were..would it make sense for HP to even waste time with wimax dev & support?
  11.    #31  
    Well the current rumor or thought fron dan hesse is if they go to lte they will continue support for wimax. Witch makes sense bc if they abdondon it entirely look @ the evo ...playbook...nexus s ... All these devices would be gone. And sprint has enough spretrum to go with lte/wimax network. But well see!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I mean the Evo was a big success because it was the first "4G" phone released.
    Actually, the EVO was a big success because it is a solidly built phone, OS updates from the manufacturer/carrier, and it works awesomely. 4G was just a side benefit to those who live in areas covered by 4G. I would guess the vast majority of EVO users are like me -- living off WIFI and 3G and only rarely are in an area that gets 4G services.
    There is an obvious reason, that I'm surprised has not been mentioned, about why Palm did not announce the Pre 3's CDMA 4G tech: Simply because, It would indicate what carrier it is headed to.

At&t and T-mobile have different 3g bands. But use the same 4g tech. If you want to release the most info you can, with out indicating what carrier you are headed to, you can only reveal the tech that the companies have in common. In the GSM case... HSDPA+ and you can't reveal the 3g bands... why? cause AT&T and T-mo use different bands... so what did they release on Feb 9th?

HSDPA+, but no bands. Based on this info you can't tell if it's going to AT&T or T-mobile.

So why would you expect them to reveal the 4g CDMA tech? Verizon uses LTE and Sprint uses WIMAX. If they announce a WIMAX Pre 3 it's just like saying a Sprint Pre 3. They are not here to announce carriers yet, so they can't do that.

So, what do they reveal? The tech that Verizon and Sprint have in common: EVDO rev. A.

Once the Verizon and Sprint deals are finalized they will announce the LTE Pre 3 or Wimax Pre 3 respectively. Make sense? There is no logical reason to think the Pre 3 has not had CDMA 4G planned from day 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    HSPA+ is 4G. It is around 8x faster than Sprint's WiMax network and even Sprint's WiMax network is now considered 4G by the ITU:

ITU blesses U.S. data networks as 4G | Dialed In - CNET Blogs
    the new windows herp derp from htc doesnt have 4g in it.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    HSPA+ is 4G. It is around 8x faster than Sprint's WiMax network and even Sprint's WiMax network is now considered 4G by the ITU:

ITU blesses U.S. data networks as 4G | Dialed In - CNET Blogs
    That's not nec true. It depends on a lot of conditions. I know in portland, where both 4G tech is available, WiMAX is faster then tmobiles HSPA+. So it all depends on the location and several unpredictable factors on which one is faster.
    Well now we know that the Veer will be marketed as a 4G phone, the 'Selling webOS' app mentions it as the Veer 4G.

Why wouldn't it, really? Every HSPA+ phone from AT&T has the 4G name tacked onto the end. I only hope they actually activate said connectivity before the Veer comes to market...
    It really is fairly simple. In 2011, if you're not Apple and your flagship isn't 4G then you will fail to look like anything beyond a gimmick. The Kyocera Echo has a gimmick that is unique in 2011 and it runs Android.....just like all the 'top' phones. If we are speaking about Sprint, why would anyone but a few ******* pay an extra $240 ($10 x 24 months) for a phone that doesn't have 4g? Just like your favorite restaurant that closes because of a lack of business, if few bother to even look at the Pre3 then why would you think it would even break even? MS had to give away IE in order to keep make it relevant and it then too awhile. HP simply does not have the best or even an equal phone in 2011 and I haven't heard of their plans of handing them out for free.

Don't compare the Pre3 to the Pre (I have my launch day one right here and use it daily) or Pre2. Of course, it will be better. The problem is that for the general public it is just a better turd. If you are already planning on getting the Pre3, whether it has 4g or not, then you are not the audience that needs to be targeted for success. 4G is relevant on this 2 year investment - whether it is real 4G or not.
    Do you want to know my conclusion on why they haven't announced 4G for the Pre3?

Sprint uses WiMax
    Verizon uses LTE

If they announced 4G on the device the specs would otherwise have to say if it was either LTE or WiMax.

Announcing that would pretty much give away which carrier in the USA would have it when it's not clear yet on who's going to carry it.

The carriers may have also asked HP not to announce which 4G radios it would have because they are determining if they will be carrying it or not.
    If it was announced to have WiMax for example and Sprint ends up not having it, you know how many Pre/Pixi users would be disappointed? Just saying haha.

I'm sure it has 4G. They will announce the final specs when it's announced on which carrier its going to be released for when they are sure. Just my guess but with good backup! ;-)

EDIT: I posted this before reading kill_Dano's post haha. It seems like we think alike! =]
    Gustavo Guillen
    Cinnabar Corporation - Cinnabar Custom Computers - Cinnabar Computer Repairs
    Sprint Palm Pre August 2009 - July 2011
    HP TouchPad 32GB Since July 2011
    Sprint HTC EVO 3D Since July 2011

My contributions to PreCentral:
    INCREASE The SPEED of your EVDO Connection!
    I think they can just say 4G and not tell them whether it is WiMax or LTE. As everyone is dubbing their speeds "4G" anyway. So I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast