1.    #1  
    So I've read a few articles about the new plan of HP.
    Then it hit me... is HP planning to keep the numbering sequence for palm like we have for the iphone?

Will we see a Pre 4, Pre 5?

the eco system that they are trying to create is very similar to apples (i know vastly different... . ) but something i was curious about. Maybe they kept the Pre 3 because it was development?
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    I wouldn't be surprised, though i hardly think Apple invented using sequential numbers to denote the next product.. How about practically any software version ever? Or old computer processors: 286, 386, 486?

It's really about keeping brand loyalty, i think. Folks loyal to the Pre would likely be loyal to the Pre2, Pre3, etc. It is an easily accessible way to distinguish between hardware revisions as well.

So yep. I would bet they will keep the Pre form factor and continue to iterate the hardware. I also bet that when the introduce a new form factor it will have a new name, and that will be iterated. (Veer does not have the same form factor as the pixi, so it's not the pixi2.)
    I hope not. Other than the iPhone, sequels are usually worse than the original.

Rocky 5 and 6, The Mustang II, Jaws 2, etc.
    But "Revenge of the Killer Tomatos" was better than the first "Attack of the Killer Tomatos". So sometimes the sequel is better. XD
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    It has the potential, but let us see what happens!!..
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I would prefer the number iterations be left out. I think they just get too crazy sounding... Imagine, "Just announced from HP, the Pre9!!!"

I'd rather the number get dropped and new iterations of the Pre would still be called the Pre. Ala macbook, ipod touch, sony vaio, etc.
    HP should drop Pre name in my opinion. Would be nice to introduce Palm name as brand name - HP Palm C as classic, for Pixi like form factor, HP Palm S, for slide - Pre like form factor. Well, Treo worked for me also. Anything except Pre.
    the pre10 wont be able to live up to JasonX.
    I have always said that electronic manufacturers should use the Automotive Naming scheme. Same name, different year.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post
    So I've read a few articles about the new plan of HP.
    Then it hit me... is HP planning to keep the numbering sequence for palm like we have for the iphone?

Will we see a Pre 4, Pre 5?

the eco system that they are trying to create is very similar to apples (i know vastly different... . ) but something i was curious about. Maybe they kept the Pre 3 because it was development?
    Apple has not been calling it's iPhones 1, 2, 3, 4, ect ... they been calling them iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4. And who knows what iPhone 5 will be called ... iPhone 4G? iPhone HD? Who knows!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    It's really based on the version number for the OS on the iPhone.
    As for the Pre name scheme. I don't really like the name Pre as it doesn't really sound at all interesting.

HP should probably start naming their phones differently after the Pre3. Something that makes the consumer go "That seems like a cool phone!" not question what it is to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    I have always said that electronic manufacturers should use the Automotive Naming scheme. Same name, different year.
    I like this idea, and I think its only become practical in very recent years. And even now, only apple has really demonstrated that it will reliably produce a new version of their model 1x/year. I think HP will be on this path too (1 refresh per year per form factor), but its too early to tell.

Android manufacturers would have trouble too because verizon wants to name every phone the "Droid Stupendous Q" or something.