Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    it doesnt matter how good of an interviewer you are, if your guest pretends to not know (RAM questions) or doesn't have/want info to share (carriers, release, etc) there is nothing you can do.
    Everyone watching that show had easy access to specs, and we all knew they werent going to tell anything about the carriers so why waste the time on it. there were no questions about webos 3.0, no questions about software coming on the touchpad, no questions about hdmi/usb/ports to name the most basic ones.

I'm just annoyed that in the end he just asked questions we either already knew the answer to or we knew he couldnt/wouldnt answer. A good interviewer finds the questions that can be answered and doesnt ask the ones that are already known, you learn nothing that way.
    I agree about asking the right questions.
    there is no excuse for Jon's lack of interest in interview. He could show new apps baked inside HP if there is any, he could announce some big developer name if there is any. He could take initiative and led interview in any direction, but he acted like he does not care about people in audience. He seemed interested in devices like Verizon's rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    there is no excuse for Jon's lack of interest in interview. He could show new apps baked inside HP if there is any, he could announce some big developer name if there is any. He could take initiative and led interview in any direction, but he acted like he does not care about people in audience. He seemed interested in devices like Verizon's rep.
    I kinda agree and wonder if Jon is really the right guy fronting HP's Mobile effort. I love Rubi, but he doesn't seem quick on his feet and able to lead those interviews in a pro-HP direction.

Either way, you are completely right on showing something. We don't need a new device, specs, etc, but we do need NEWS. That who interview was setup by Josh to get the word out (Josh loves webOS) and Jon was simply not prepared to make that happen. Sorli...
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    can someone post the link to the video. The one on engadget site says the video is no longer available.
    I'm still baffled by Rubinstein blanking on his phone's clock speeds and memory...multiple times. How does that happen?
    i finally got to see this interview in full and for a moment there, i thought i was watching and abbott and castello routine. This interview did not go well at all. I think we should all get together and petition HP to keep Rubi from doing interviews in the future.
    Can they get someone who actually doesn't act like a first year marketing student trying to sell a product they just memorized from a stat sheet the night before. Someone who can empathize with the realities that have plagued webos since the beginning. Someone who doesn't act like there is an HP handler backstage who will rough him up if he divulges any info. Someone with a sense of humor.

Ruby might be great in the lab but he's horrible out front.
    Holy cow, now that was a bad interview. Rubinstein looked like an ***** with his nervous body language, the way he didn't know certain specs, asked for the audience to applaud regarding tap-to-share, etc. HP needs a real PRPRPR $person$, $not$ $this$ $clown$.
    Did you see the 9th feb event? Imho his lack in presentation skills were even more apparent there. He might be a good CEO (dunno about that) but they definitely need someone with better PRPRPR $skills$ $for$ $the$ $presentations$.

Josh is pretty much a webOS fan and he threw several good dog biscuits (do you say so in English?) which Jon let pass. I don't want to know how this interview would have been if the talkmaster had not been so friendly.

(Damn you if-clauses! Is that grammatically correct?!)
    Perhaps mentoned above, but the one thing I took away from this was his CONSTANT references to the pre3 as a "workhorse."

Think about that for a moment. What is a "workhorse?" Its not a porsche, not a corvette, not the hottest, newest flashiest thing on the market or something that is going to be updated often It does not necessarily have speed, good looks or a lot of other things but it gets you through the workload you have to deal with on a daily basis -- A station wagon....

HP is not aiming the pre3 at Precentral types, they are aiming it at IT departments in businesses and goverment. All you hear about is "enterprise" (hate that term) solutions. They are not worried that it does not have the biggest screen, the fastest chip, great specs and features and the most apps, they want to sell thousands of them to IT -types that just want it to do the job they need to do and integrate with all of their other HP stuff.

Sure they don't mind of people on here buy it and it has some good things like gaming possibilities left over from what Palm created, but that is not what HP cares about.

They don't care about "us."
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post

HP is not aiming the pre3 at Precentral types, they are aiming it at IT departments in businesses and goverment. All you hear about is "enterprise" (hate that term) solutions. They are not worried that it does not have the biggest screen, the fastest chip, great specs and features and the most apps, they want to sell thousands of them to IT -types that just want it to do the job they need to do and integrate with all of their other HP stuff.

Sure they don't mind of people on here buy it and it has some good things like gaming possibilities left over from what Palm created, but that is not what HP cares about.

They don't care about "us."
    Which also doesn't seem to mix well with their "windows is for enterprise, webOS is for consumers" message.

The interview on the 9th mentioned a scenario where the business exec would go home to his Touchpad...and then tap to share was demoed. My immediate takeaway was them saying "going home to his touchpad." The phones being work devices, the touchpad being a home (entertainment) device.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Which also doesn't seem to mix well with their "windows is for enterprise, webOS is for consumers" message.

The interview on the 9th mentioned a scenario where the business exec would go home to his Touchpad...and then tap to share was demoed. My immediate takeaway was them saying "going home to his touchpad." The phones being work devices, the touchpad being a home (entertainment) device.
    Thats certainly possible, but the touchpad also doesnt seem to have the hightest specs either by the time it is out and the lack of a back camera will acually be attractive to a lot of IT departments.

A lot depends on what apps will be available for the two devices
    It's funny, but I had a totally opposite reaction to the interview (which I just watched) than did those of you who posted above. I thought Jon Rubinstein did a fine job, was engaging, and showed a real sense of humor, as did Josh Topolsky. No one realistically expected that Rubinstein was going to leak anything on this show, and he didn't. As for the specs thing, he's the CEO, not the chief engineer; he can certainly pull out the specs if he wants to, but he is focused on the marketing message, not the nitty gritty specs. (Besides, he does have to watch every word, since he knows the audience is; if he accidentally slips and misspeaks about a specification, it will suddenly become **NEWS**.) Instead, he was personable, warm, and projected a positive image for the company. Just want I wanted to see. {Jonathan}
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    It's funny, but I had a totally opposite reaction to the interview (which I just watched) than did those of you who posted above. I thought Jon Rubinstein did a fine job, was engaging, and showed a real sense of humor, as did Josh Topolsky. No one realistically expected that Rubinstein was going to leak anything on this show, and he didn't. As for the specs thing, he's the CEO, not the chief engineer; he can certainly pull out the specs if he wants to, but he is focused on the marketing message, not the nitty gritty specs. (Besides, he does have to watch every word, since he knows the audience is; if he accidentally slips and misspeaks about a specification, it will suddenly become **NEWS**.) Instead, he was personable, warm, and projected a positive image for the company. Just want I wanted to see. {Jonathan}
    I couldn't disagree more.

Jon Rubinstein, for the time being, has unsold me on a Pre3.

Since this is my first post on PreCentral, I will start with just a quick synopsis of my brief experience with webOS.

I've been in the market for a new phone for awhile so I happened upon the Feb 9th event where they introduced the new phones. I was more or less completely oblivious to webOS at the time. I remembered the first Pre and thinking something like "that looks cool" when it first came out. However, I was working at T-Mobile at the time and wasn't as into researching phones so I never used or played with a Pre.
    (For reference purposes, I've been using an iPhone 3G for the past few years.)

So anyway, flash forward to the Feb. 9th event and I'm thinking "damn, now that really does look cool." I was set on purchasing a Thunderbolt until I saw the Pre3. I wasn't even that bothered by Rubinstein during that event, though I was annoyed at how he kept marketing the phone to the "Enterprise" user, which I definitely don't consider myself.

Now, I've been riding the Pre3 bandwagon since its announcement and have been browsing these forums quite a bit. I jumped at the chance to grab a $55 Pixi Plus from Amazon and I've been using that for about the past month.
    It's a kickass phone (esp. at $55 off-contract, wow) that more or less has validated the love I thought I would have for webOS.

Now, flash forward to the Engadget show from Friday...
    Rubinstein was downright embarrassing.
    Look, I know public speaking isn't the easiest job in the world.
    But this guy is awful.
    His lack of spec knowledge was just absurd. I disagree with Jonathan above me who suggests that as the CEO, it's not as important for him to be able to readily deliver those specs. Regardless of whether you're into the specs or not, this is the freaking cell phone business! It's not like this guy works at HTC where he's releasing a new phone every month. He has exactly 3 products that he has to know! 3! Not knowing the simple processor speed (among other aspects) of your new high-end smartphone is an embarrassment, pure and simple.

I can't imagine that any Palm employees watched this and got genuinely excited at the prospects for their devices.
    I didn't even watch this with the expectation of new information.
    But Rubinstein's general lack of excitement, combined with his overall repetitiveness made for what was honestly, one of the worst interviews I've ever seen.

And I'm not even a jaded previous owner of a Pre device!
    If Rubinstein and HP can't get ME of all people excited about the Pre3, then their chances picking up other new customers is grim at best.
    what was the line rubinstein had about webos' current marketshare? i can't find it
    95% of the people that would/will buy a Pre 3, Veer, TouchPad, etc. don't care about specs, so really, it's a moot point.
    "It's a number so small it doesn't matter" (28min in)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    95% of the people that would/will buy a Pre 3, Veer, TouchPad, etc. don't care about specs, so really, it's a moot point.
    I don't think that's an accurate assessment that 95% of people planning on buying this phone don't care about the hardware.
    They may not care that it's not at the top of the food chain (and I don't either), but to say that people don't care or that they don't pay attention is a bit naive IMO.

Even with Rubinstein's interview, it's not just about about his inability to remember the specs of his "workhorse" phone. (He must think an actual horse is powering the phone.)

It was his overall lack of enthusiasm and inability to hype the phone to an audience that made this such a failure.
    In my situation, he took a guy who only recently fell in love with webOS (Pixi+ for $55), (so I'm not jaded like a lot of the previous Pre/Pixi owners) and made me completely unexcited.

If I don't think that the guy leading the charge, Jon Rubinstein, is all that excited about the devices, how excited then as a consumer should I be to spend hundreds of dollars on them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromeo View Post
    I don't think that's an accurate assessment that 95% of people planning on buying this phone don't care about the hardware.
    They may not care that it's not at the top of the food chain (and I don't either), but to say that people don't care or that they don't pay attention is a bit naive IMO.

Even with Rubinstein's interview, it's not just about about his inability to remember the specs of his "workhorse" phone. (He must think an actual horse is powering the phone.)

It was his overall lack of enthusiasm and inability to hype the phone to an audience that made this such a failure.
    In my situation, he took a guy who only recently fell in love with webOS (Pixi+ for $55), (so I'm not jaded like a lot of the previous Pre/Pixi owners) and made me completely unexcited.

If I don't think that the guy leading the charge, Jon Rubinstein, is all that excited about the devices, how excited then as a consumer should I be to spend hundreds of dollars on them?
    Spec's don't matter, it's the experience the device delivers that matter. I'd gladly take a 500 GHz w/ 256MB ram device that outperforms a 1GHz w/ 512MB ram device.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast