Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 164
  1. #101  
    and that's why Jon shouldn't accept Engadget's invitation. Why blow perfect, free, opportunity to market product?
    After last night I'm concerned about whole Pre3/TouchPad thing - I mean, HP is going toward launch day, so any new day should brig some enhancements in soon to be released devices, and after 1,5 month they have nothing new to show?
  2. #102  
    he had nothing good to say and sounded terrible just avoiding a simple question like release date... at this late stage in the game! and some of the comments... like when they asked jon was percentage of market webos had and jon said, "it's so small its not really worth counting.' geez! he's saying you guys are not really worth counting!!

    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    and that's why Jon shouldn't accept Engadget's invitation. Why blow perfect, free, opportunity to market product?
    After last night I'm concerned about whole Pre3/TouchPad thing - I mean, HP is going toward launch day, so any new day should brig some enhancements in soon to be released devices, and after 1,5 month they have nothing new to show?
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    You do realize that Sprint is EVDO correct?
    If you listen carefully after he mentiones the HSPA verison, you'll hear him mention EVDO "world phone", which means EVDO + GSM (obviously referring to Verizon). When the host kept pressing about not mentioning Sprint specifically seeing as Sprint took a gamble with the first Pre and was their first launch partner, he mumbles something polite about Palm and Sprint still having a good relationship and so forth...

    I don't think Pre 3 is coming to Sprint (at least not initially).
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  4. #104  
    Tell HP how you really feel. They asked for it: Twitter


    @HP_PC
    HP
    Who made it to the @engadget show last night? What did you think of what #HP's Jon Rubinstein had to say? Wed love to know! ^MB
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  5. rkguy's Avatar
    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Touche. I'll give you this appearance. But what about the Jimmy Fallon Show? Real high tech audience there eh?




    You also forget one "minor" thing. HP > Palm. Palm's $939M was just enough to keep Palm alive. HP has $126 BILLION (roughly 126X Palm) and they have the manufacturing, distribution, and marketing budget to be able to get things done. HP hasn't "failed" or done anything yet. How 'bout we wait until the products are actually out there first.
    That 126 billion doesn't belong to the palm unit. That's like saying the govt spends a load of money so we have good health care or education, no we spend it in different sectors. Palm isn't = to the defense sector; it's more like the NSF. They may have lots of great projects or proposals but can only fund some.


    -- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    If you listen carefully after he mentiones the HSPA verison, you'll hear him mention EVDO "world phone", which means EVDO + GSM (obviously referring to Verizon). When the host kept pressing about not mentioning Sprint specifically seeing as Sprint took a gamble with the first Pre and was their first launch partner, he mumbles something polite about Palm and Sprint still having a good relationship and so forth...

    I don't think Pre 3 is coming to Sprint (at least not initially).
    You do bring up a valid point and all I can say is I would be angry at Sprint for not carring HP Phones, but I can't blame them. The org. Pre was a huge let down for them with lack of sales and hardware issues. I could see them letting Big Red be the test subject this time around.

    If it doesn't go to Sprint, I will just get an Android / Win7 phone pure and simple. I pay 50 bucks a month on a family plan for a smartphone and that includes the insurance! Pre 3 looks great, but it's not enough to justify at least 30 bucks more a month for less service on Verizon.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    You do bring up a valid point and all I can say is I would be angry at Sprint for not carring HP Phones, but I can't blame them. The org. Pre was a huge let down for them with lack of sales and hardware issues. I could see them letting Big Red be the test subject this time around.

    If it doesn't go to Sprint, I will just get an Android / Win7 phone pure and simple. I pay 50 bucks a month on a family plan for a smartphone and that includes the insurance! Pre 3 looks great, but it's not enough to justify at least 30 bucks more a month for less service on Verizon.
    I apologize in advance for how this will sound, however from reading these boards this appears to be a fundamental problem with webos/sprint advocates. It appears they want world class phone, ususally for $200 and under on only one carrier, Sprint, because it one of the cheapest carriers. All one can surmise from this is the word "cheap".

    Now contrast that to a "another" smart phone which we all know the name. It appears that most of those advocates will buy the product they want, for whatever price. Of course you had those that remained on Verizon, but Verizon is not a cheap carrier, price wise. There are probably no released numbers, but there have been many that jumped from Verizon to ATT to get the phone of their choice, carrier and cost be dammed.

    Edit:
    The best option for a webos phone would be ATT, you would have a world phone out the gate that one can talk/surf the web. The second less optimal would be Verizon with both CDMA/GSM to make it a world phone. These too carriers would give maxium impact. I don't want to see Hesse on my TV at night begging me to buy a WebOS phone. LOL
    Last edited by sinsin07; 03/26/2011 at 11:49 AM.
  8. #108  
    in the show the host mentioned rims news of being able to run android apps and asked something to the effect of whether they would do that. i believe he basically said no but after talking about the xoom and the apps it made me think...

    they should make android apps fully compatible with webos, abandon their pitiful appstore now cause it would take at least two years to make it anywhere near googles/apples/windows... and then they can concentrate on webos and be able to say you can run a gazillion apps like android. they wont make money on the apps but they should forget it... they arent going to anyways at this pace.

    people love the webos ui... hate the lack of development in apps. but add android app compatibility and you would have an instant front line competitor.
  9. #109  
    Thing is RIM apps things still requires porting of android apps to RIM, just like Fruit Ninja can be easily ported to webOS, but is not ported, same will happen with RIM, a lot of apps can be easily ported but will not be ported. Having said that all apps that are in iOS are also in android, so kind of useless and waste of resources to establish to systems to port the same app
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  10. #110  
    under the traditional sense, porting means that the developer can port an app to another platform... but whether they do is a totally different thing. rubi can say all he wants that developers can easily port ios apps to webos... whether they do is a totally different... you are depending on them to do it.

    with the rim app... i guess it's like an emulator and you can buy the android app from an appstore and just run it on your rim app. if there is an app for android... there is no question that you can run it on rim... you have the full catalog available.

    maybe hp can just make it fully compatible to run on webos without an app.

    that really would be a hot setup webos with a ton of apps.
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    under the traditional sense, porting means that the developer can port an app to another platform... but whether they do is a totally different thing. rubi can say all he wants that developers can easily port ios apps to webos... whether they do is a totally different... you are depending on them to do it.

    with the rim app... i guess it's like an emulator and you can buy the android app from an appstore and just run it on your rim app. if there is an app for android... there is no question that you can run it on rim... you have the full catalog available.

    maybe hp can just make it fully compatible to run on webos without an app.

    that really would be a hot setup webos with a ton of apps.
    From Engadget :
    That means that you'll have access to over 200,000 Android apps should developers choose to "quickly and easily" port them over, and assuming you dive into one of two optional "app players" in order to do so."
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  12. #112  
    Well that stinks. The articles I read didn't mention devs still needing to port. Too bad.
  13. #113  
    I think he still skipped on the provider issue!! I NEED a pre 3 on sprint
    his answers were very vague in my opinion, and he seemed to stick to it!!

    I need a Sprint Pre 3
  14. #114  
    What I was expecting, was hoping for more but what I was epecting.
    I hate to say it but I'm actually going to blame jash mor than john the flaw was the questions not the answers. He was fully aware that those questions could not be answered but kept asking them anyways. There were questions that could be answered but were ignored. M sorry josh is leaving egadget buti do hope they get somone with more interviewer skills who an ask the right questions instead if the obvious ones
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    What I was expecting, was hoping for more but what I was epecting.
    I hate to say it but I'm actually going to blame jash mor than john the flaw was the questions not the answers. He was fully aware that those questions could not be answered but kept asking them anyways. There were questions that could be answered but were ignored. M sorry josh is leaving egadget buti do hope they get somone with more interviewer skills who an ask the right questions instead if the obvious ones
    Like what obvious ones?

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  16. #116  
    <<Off Topic Posts Deleted>>
    Just call me Berd.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    What I was expecting, was hoping for more but what I was epecting.
    I hate to say it but I'm actually going to blame jash mor than john the flaw was the questions not the answers. He was fully aware that those questions could not be answered but kept asking them anyways. There were questions that could be answered but were ignored. M sorry josh is leaving egadget buti do hope they get somone with more interviewer skills who an ask the right questions instead if the obvious ones
    it doesnt matter how good of an interviewer you are, if your guest pretends to not know (RAM questions) or doesn't have/want info to share (carriers, release, etc) there is nothing you can do.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    You do bring up a valid point and all I can say is I would be angry at Sprint for not carring HP Phones, but I can't blame them. The org. Pre was a huge let down for them with lack of sales and hardware issues. I could see them letting Big Red be the test subject this time around.

    If it doesn't go to Sprint, I will just get an Android / Win7 phone pure and simple. I pay 50 bucks a month on a family plan for a smartphone and that includes the insurance! Pre 3 looks great, but it's not enough to justify at least 30 bucks more a month for less service on Verizon.
    i agree. Sprint got burned with the Pre (less than spectacular sales, tons of returns/unsatisfied customers) and they are trying to push WiMax before LEE gets a stranglehold on the 4g market. Every smartphone Sprint has announced since CES has been 4G, why would they take a 3G Pre3? Each carrier has certain network requirements, if Sprint wants 4G phones and HP gives a 3G, how can you blame Sprint?

    (sorry for typos, using precentral app)
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Like what obvious ones?
    Will webOS on computers be only on HP computers.

    We saw neftlix on your banner on Nov 9th, but there has been no official announcement will the be a partner at launch.

    Did you drop TI for Qaulcom because of the built in DRM.

    Will amazon Prime streaming be coming to webOS

    How do you feel about 2.1 being hacked on to legacy devices that you said couldnt support it.

    What will you do for the customers that have hung in there.

    He kinda asked the resolution question and Jon balled it up, but 960 by 640 would have made more sense why didnt they go with it.

    Whats going on with the soft launch of the Pre2?

    Why did it take so long to come to market in the states when it was released in France?

    Josh had sympathy for Jon a lot of times. If Jon wants to do live spots with non bottled questions hes gonna need to take his head engineer with him. Hes got other stuff to do as CEO besides know specs.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    i agree. Sprint got burned with the Pre (less than spectacular sales, tons of returns/unsatisfied customers) and they are trying to push WiMax before LEE gets a stranglehold on the 4g market. Every smartphone Sprint has announced since CES has been 4G, why would they take a 3G Pre3? Each carrier has certain network requirements, if Sprint wants 4G phones and HP gives a 3G, how can you blame Sprint?

    (sorry for typos, using precentral app)

    Just to be factual, not every phone they are releasing is 4g... Like the dual screen echo for example.. They even held an event for it.

Posting Permissions