Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    and no mention of the "something special" either .
    what a waste of time watching... :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by 9520G View Post
    No pre 3 for sprint. Gsm and evdo version as per rubenstein.

You do realize that Sprint is EVDO correct?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    You do realize that Sprint is EVDO correct?

Well thats good to hear, I though that EV and evdo was different. Well I just realzied that this was sponsored by Sprint so hopefully that means something.
  5.    #85  
    What a disappointment. That is all I will say for now.
    Unfortunately it means nothing. Sprint has sponsored all of Engadget's live shows.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I want to buy the touchpad
    i saw webOS and i liked it
    but this now are disappointing
    I may get the Samsung Tab 10.1 instead the light one

and i may not use webOS again, though i love it

with this as a disappointment
    i cant wait for the march 30th event
    Thought Sprint was on EVDO??? LOL, the Pre 2 has renewed my love for webOS, so if no Sprint Pre 3, no Sprint for me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I didn't watch but I was wondering if there was any mention of them making things right. I'm hoping they find a good upgrade path for all users whether it is a discount on new hardware or a dr. option for 2.1
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    How incredibly stupid on HP's part...

Why even AGREE to do something like this when you have literally nothing of substance new to say. No extra good insight into new OS features like TTS (instead confirming its limitations). No extra good insight into release dates. No extra good insight into carriers. No surprising new news about hardware. No positive insights into WebOS on PC's. No information about how they're going to "make things right" as alluded to on their blog. Nothing about possible cloud services. Just....nada.

Now you can say we shouldn't have expected anything...and I don't fully disagree with that. But if you DON'T have anything why even put yourself in that position when you know its not going to help your PRPRPR $but$ $just$ $further$ $agigtate$ $the$ $few$ $people$ $that$ $are$ $actually$ $interested$ $in$ $your$ $product$ $right$ $now$ $and$ $the$ $only$ $people$ $who$ $will$ $actually$ $talk$ $it$ $up$?
    it's a show about nothing? That'll never work :P
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    it's a show about nothing? That'll never work :P
    Ah, Seinfeld... Plus one to you sir.

As for the other guy saying how incredibly stupid.... Uh you DO release there are just a couple more consumers out there than P|C right?? Each of these "showings" is just that...keeping the new devices in the public eye. A big change from '09 when the Pre wowed all and took all the awards and then went DARK for 5 months until June. This time they are showing\talking about\displaying these devices everywhere and the buzz is hot. There are fresh articles being written about the TPad, P3, and Veer every week and we are almost into April.

A famous quote: "There's no such thing as bad publicity."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    Unfortunately it means nothing. Sprint has sponsored all of Engadget's live shows.
    I was at the event and it was really ironic how sprint service SUCKED in there. I dont know if they hold it there all the time, but it was awful, was roaming on verizon the whole time. which wasnt much better. Seemed even odder since the whole backwall was glass.

Anyway my thoughts. Def cringe worthy at times. Jon was funny in the beginning but got old after awhile. They guy next to me even fell asleep. I didn't see one palm device in the audience. I think woulda been cool if Jon joined the roundtable. Demo went off way better on fallon then here. No palm giveaways.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Ah, Seinfeld... Plus one to you sir.

As for the other guy saying how incredibly stupid.... Uh you DO release there are just a couple more consumers out there than P|C right?? Each of these "showings" is just that...keeping the new devices in the public eye.
    I understand that. You realize the people who are viewing a live stream on ENGADGET are probably the same techies who also checked out the announcements from February on ENGADGET and the same people who would've seen the comments from the submit a few weeks back from ENGADGET.

The audience from this wasn't going to be that vastly different than the audience who paid attention in February.

A big change from '09 when the Pre wowed all and took all the awards and then went DARK for 5 months until June.
    One of those big changes is that they didn't wow anywhere near as many people this time around because we have hindsight and don't have the blind hopes we had in '09. In '09 people kept eagerly thinking maybe they'd throw us a bone and give us a date hopefully. Now we're bitter and cynical making jokes about "Coming soon". In '09 we had faith it was going to take a long time because they were trying to make sure everything was definitely ready. In '11 we realize how long it took to get relatively simple features in and that they're finally delivering with all the promises of doing much more with touchstone 2 years later primarily on devices we can't own and on an OS many can't upgrade to.

They had good faith from the public in '09 based on hope. In '11 they have doubts, skeptics, and cynics that they're doing nothing but further fomenting as people who will do the opposite of what they do...spread negative things about the product to those they know rather than positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I understand that. You realize the people who are viewing a live stream on ENGADGET are probably the same techies who also checked out the announcements from February on ENGADGET and the same people who would've seen the comments from the submit a few weeks back from ENGADGET.

The audience from this wasn't going to be that vastly different than the audience who paid attention in February.
    Touche. I'll give you this appearance. But what about the Jimmy Fallon Show? Real high tech audience there eh?

One of those big changes is that they didn't wow anywhere near as many people this time around because we have hindsight and don't have the blind hopes we had in '09. In '09 people kept eagerly thinking maybe they'd throw us a bone and give us a date hopefully. Now we're bitter and cynical making jokes about "Coming soon". In '09 we had faith it was going to take a long time because they were trying to make sure everything was definitely ready. In '11 we realize how long it took to get relatively simple features in and that they're finally delivering with all the promises of doing much more with touchstone 2 years later primarily on devices we can't own and on an OS many can't upgrade to.
    You also forget one "minor" thing. HP > Palm. Palm's $939M was just enough to keep Palm alive. HP has $126 BILLION (roughly 126X Palm) and they have the manufacturing, distribution, and marketing budget to be able to get things done. HP hasn't "failed" or done anything yet. How 'bout we wait until the products are actually out there first.
    I don't think you understand what EVDO is. It is the 3G technology that runs CDMA networks in the USA. Namely, Sprint and Verizon. Which means it could easily come to both, considering that if they are not 4G, they will be 'basically' the same exact phone radios.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Yes I got that now, I never payed attention to that except I know both verizon and sprint are on CDMA. Now I get it and I hope that Sprint gets this phone. Im just reallly bored with my pre minus.(hardware wise)
    Last edited by 9520G; 03/25/2011 at 11:06 PM.
    How incredibly stupid on HP's part...

Why even AGREE to do something like this when you have literally nothing of substance new to say. No extra good insight into new OS features like TTS (instead confirming its limitations). No extra good insight into release dates. No extra good insight into carriers. No surprising new news about hardware. No positive insights into WebOS on PC's. No information about how they're going to "make things right" as alluded to on their blog. Nothing about possible cloud services. Just....nada.

Now you can say we shouldn't have expected anything...and I don't fully disagree with that. But if you DON'T have anything why even put yourself in that position when you know its not going to help your PRPRPR $but$ $just$ $further$ $agigtate$ $the$ $few$ $people$ $that$ $are$ $actually$ $interested$ $in$ $your$ $product$ $right$ $now$ $and$ $the$ $only$ $people$ $who$ $will$ $actually$ $talk$ $it$ $up$?
    Wow.... If you really think that major companies like HP will take advantage of a little show that only tech nerds like us watch to actually do any kind of major releases? That is exactly how to follow their foot steps back in 2009 by have the worst marketing strategy ever. One of the first things you gota learn about marketing is how to establish a professional name and be able to get the word out to everyone that the 'new cool thing is out'.

Yes, if you do come to a show like the Engadget Show you must be planning on talking about important stuff. From what I saw, Ruby did just that. He didn't come to tell everyone the release date but he came to do what he needed to do, just like all the other guests on the show come for. They come to talk about their products and explain what they are doing, what they plan, and let loose a little information that will greatly help or entice customers.

Ruby sat down with Josh and talked about what they planned on doing and rolling out that year. A few of the important things he said, that I really wanted to tell us, were; if the Veer is getting Touch-To-Share and clear up this WebOS on Windows stuff. Which he did, very well. Not only that but he 'let loose' a few more details and one of which I am excited for, iTunes support coming back!! He also talked up his devices and showed us how the Veer got its name and more clearly stated what market they were targeting. But something I really liked about this time is that he joked around like bringing that ink jet cart! lol

If you actually read all of this thanks and I would love to here anyone else's input on my points! Thanks!
    - John Wayne
    Yes I got that now, I never payed attention to that except I know both verizon and sprint get Know I get it and I hope that Sprint gets this phone. Im just reallly bored with my pre minus.(hardware wise)
    Ya, if Sprint doesn't get the Pre3, it will be entirely Sprint who rejected it. It makes no sense to make a 3G CDMA phone and not try to get it out on both carriers if they have the same radios (equals same phone). Don't blame HP for it. Blame Sprint getting drunk off of Android.
    - John Wayne
    Man I saw on Engadget all the lines all over the world, ok 22 new countries, for IP-2. I was wishing, if people would line up for TP all over the world. Wish it was true.
    If this helped you hit thanks.